It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Francisco Catholic church installs watering system to drench homeless people as they sleep

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
The Catholic church has homeless shelters, the doorway is not it.
When people don't want to follow the rules of a shelter they don't go into the shelter.
How many of you here would not mind having a homeless sleeping on your doorway? because I'd like to see you start leaving pillows and blankets on your doorways.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   
"to drench homeless people as they sleep"?

Don't you guys ever get tired of being manipulated? Why do you let these libtarded writers lead you around like little lost puppies?

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Pope Francis @Pontifex · Mar 12 Tweet

Beware of getting too comfortable! When we are comfortable, it’s easy to forget other people.

twitter.com...

edit on 3/18/2015 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Majestic Lumen
When people don't want to follow the rules of a shelter they don't go into the shelter.
How many of you here would not mind having a homeless sleeping on your doorway? because I'd like to see you start leaving pillows and blankets on your doorways.

Thats just it ..Its a church..GOD's house surely if He made us he can give us a place to crash..
Ever been homeless yourself? If so then judge away friend.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: flammadraco
How very Christian!

I'm not religious one iota, but several parts of the Christian bible teaches how to treat the homeless. Let's have a look what our good friend Leviticus had to say on the matter!

Leviticus 25:35-36 ESV / “If your brother becomes poor and cannot maintain himself with you, you shall support him as though he were a stranger and a sojourner, and he shall live with you. Take no interest from him or profit, but fear your God, that your brother may live beside you.

Another example of "Cafeteria Christians".

So we're quoting Leviticus now? Who would've thunk it lol.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: DjembeJedi

originally posted by: Majestic Lumen

Thats just it ..Its a church..GOD's house surely if He made us he can give us a place to crash..
Ever been homeless yourself? If so then judge away friend.

Actually the church is the body of Christ not a physical building where people gather.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

The priests of this Church should be ashamed of themselves. Empathy and compassion is what religion is supposed to be......Money and power this is the real face of religion.

The vows they promised me nothing....Shame....Shame......Shame.
edit on 18-3-2015 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Meh ... think about it from the Church's perspective. The homeless have no voice, so nobody important is gonna give a rat's @$$. The homeless have no $$$ ... and even George Carlin had that number.

And all you do-gooders ranting in-thread: how many of you invite homeless people to sleep in your yard??

The hypocrisy from both sides makes me wanna gag.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Here's an update:

San Francisco Cathedral To Remove Sprinklers That Drenched Homeless

"We are sorry that our intentions have been misunderstood and recognize that the method used was ill-conceived. It actually has had the opposite effect from what it was intended to do, and for this we are very sorry," said Auxiliary Bishop William Justice, rector of the cathedral.

The system had been dismantled as of Wednesday afternoon, said Larry Kamer, a spokesman for the archdiocese. No homeless people were using the cathedral's alcoves until recently, he said.

"It's so indicative of how dehumanizing we've become about homeless people," said Paul Boden, organizing director of the Western Regional Advocacy Project, which advocates for homeless people. "If you are going to hose somebody down, they are probably going to move. Water is a very effective tool to get someone to move, and it's become a tool in addressing homeless in America today. It's pretty sad."

Source

The system was installed for two years. If it's tolerated it will become a norm. Good move and nice to see they apologized, as they do help with homeless services, maybe instead of what they were doing they can find an more solutions to increased homelessness and drug use as they do help a lot with homeless in the area.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

I've been homeless, and when I haven't been, my family and I have homed people till they could get into a council program or find their feet. We have kept people in crisis off the streets, often before they even properly got to the streets, and made sure that where possible, they had all the tools and contacts to avoid it. Some stay a little while, some just a few days, all get welcomed, and get placed on the most comfortable bit of floor available, with as many blankets, pillows and whatever we have to hand as possible.

We do not have much space, or a heap of money, but we give what we have. That church has space a plenty, and time was you could walk into any house of God, at any time of day or night, and get succour, rest, food, right there and then, no ifs ands or buts. That would still be the case if the mission of The Church was as intended by its true progenitor.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:26 AM
link   
California is experiencing a record drought and this is an acceptable use of precious water?

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:26 AM
link   
YaY for church! Screw the homeless and the hungry! Let's drench them and make them stay off our lawn! This is exactly why I hate churches. I mean... the bible did say to neglect those in need and to drench the downtrodden with water so they stay away.

Ugh... I just vomited a bit.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Counting you ... that's two of us ... and I'm sort of cheating adding myself to the list, because I've learned my lessons working with vagrants.

Let's see how many more chime in.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Yeah, I was homeless in San Fran. I didn't stay at that church but they did and the more local ones, helped with food at the food kitchen. I indeed seen both sides of this, and learned from it. One night I had to sleep in a doorway due to the weather. I would have been been very sock if I'd have been in combination of water and the weather. On the other side of this the uncleanly behavior of some people such as the needles in women's bathrooms, blood splashed all over. The church was dealing with the same.

I still don't feel it was needed nor justified to do what they did. Why should everyone suffer, ah but then again I guess I am a "doo gooder" then. So be it. Did anyone see the update? Maybe they can move on from that now that they will no longer be doing it and offer solutions. I don't live in that area now days but if I did I'd sure help to repay what was done for me. Currently and in the pastI helped and help with homeless when I can including letting them stay at my place and would let them stay in my yard if need be.
edit on 19-3-2015 by dreamingawake because: sp

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 02:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: pikypiky
On a lighter note: at least the poor/unfortunate chap(s) got a free wash, courtesy the alleged California drought.

If others got a better way in dealing with trespassers, I'd like to know as humanely as possible.

Well, first of all, these folks are HOMELESS. Not just mere trespassers.

Treatment (for addictions), treatment (for mental illnesses), job and life skills education, housing...Treatment.
edit on 19-3-2015 by lovebeck because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Why not just use a fire hose and blast em away from Gods precious house. Everyone knows Jesus didn't come for the poor. Get those grubby beggars away from our, I mean God's, jewel encrusted kitchenware and whatnot. If you wanna be close to God, you gotta at least be rich enough to have a home, that's where the cutoff line is. Everyone below that line, is worthless to the church... I mean, how can they pay the tithe? Last time I checked, 10% of zero is still zero. Cmon let's not be rediculous here.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Ugh....Society continues to set the bar for new lows on a daily basis.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

To jail with you! How dare you comment negatively about the church! I'd sentence you to 300 days community service feeding the poor on a Florida beach, but that's illegal too.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Honestly, seeing how it's a tax free "non-profit" that exist off of practisioners donations, those same practisioners should tear it down stone by stone and build a shelter.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 03:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

And all you do-gooders ranting in-thread: how many of you invite homeless people to sleep in your yard??

The hypocrisy from both sides makes me wanna gag.

I gave a homeless man fresh out of a jail a room once for a couple weeks. Nice guy but apparently had drug issues. He was there for two weeks than was gone for about a month before a family member of his came to my house to collect his things. He died of an overdose. At least he experienced kindness before he left.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join