It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Francisco Catholic church installs watering system to drench homeless people as they sleep

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+38 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

From "you just can't make this **** up dept."

A San Francisco Catholic church has reportedly installed a “watering system” that discourages homeless people by drenching them as they sleep.

KCBS reported that the “no trespassing” signs outside the primary church for Archdiocese of San Francisco, Saint Mary’s Cathedral, did not mention what would happen to the homeless who tried to sleep under the cover of the building’s doorway.

At random times throughout the night, “[w]ater pours from a hole in the ceiling, about 30 feet above, drenching the alcove and anyone in it,” the station noted. “The shower ran for about 75 seconds, every 30 to 60 minutes while we were there, starting before sunset, simultaneously in all four doorways. KCBS witnessed it soak homeless people, and their belongings.”

I guess the concept of asking "what would Jesus do?" is just so trite that it's not worthy of consideration.

A neighbor pointed out to KCBS that the watering system was not only an “inhuman” way to treat people, it also was a waste of water during a serious drought.

Cathedral staff confirmed that the system had been in place for about a year, and that it was intended to discourage homeless people from seeking shelter in the church’s doorway.

Is it any wonder that the young people are abandoning formal religion when they see this type of blatant hypocrisy from an institution that claims to help the poor and downtrodden?

Considering the obscene wealth of the Catholic Church; this is a travesty!

edit on 18-3-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I was under the impression these tree lickers were looking to conserve water....someone should inform...

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
But this is Cali ... the land of the oh-so-compassionate progressives ... I guess they all voted for a welfare state so these people have no reason to be homeless. After all, every single one of the people in that church not only got taxed to within an inch of their life to pay for a large state welfare system, including Obamacare in all its phases (so their health care is FREE), but they also must surely tithe to the Catholic Church so there are Catholic Charities available for the homeless too.

So of course those homeless folks have plenty of places to go and state programs available to them.

/sarc

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I'm glad California is finding new and responsible approaches as to what to do with their water supply. Can't wash my car but can surely mess with the poor and unfortunate, way to go guys 2 fingers up!

+12 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

They are just baptizing them, what's the problem?

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I wonder if its holy water. Maybe theyre trying to cast out the poverty demons. Well its not like theyre exactly filling up the collection plates at the church.
Jesus approved.
edit on 18-3-2015 by dashen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
It's Nancy Pelosi's constituency isn't it? I'm sure she'll get right onto it with "The Word."

I think she said that was her favorite part of the Bible.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Maybe its Holy water?

What a bunch of tossers. If I was one of the homless I'd re-route that water straight through the nearest letterbox.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Two fingers up?? Really? Isn't that a waste of a finger?

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Jesus wept.

And wept.

And wept.

On and off during the night, in order to discourage homeless people who might be sleeping near him.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
There is the possibility that the immigration numbers in the 'system' are so much a majority that the US born are kicked to the side for a fence jumper. Some do not want help at all that is not all on their terms, all over the spectrum, But a compassionate church ( in theory) should not do this, even if water was free...

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
The Archdiocese spokesperson then stated "If anything, these hobos should thank us for the free baptisms."

+8 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
It's Nancy Pelosi's constituency isn't it? I'm sure she'll get right onto it with "The Word."

It's amazing how you can turn almost any thread into partisan bickering.
Your hatred for the opposition must be burdensome at times.

edit on 18-3-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

This "church" needs to find some other religion because they surely aren't following the teachings of Christ.

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: ketsuko

It's amazing how you can turn almost any thread into partisan bickering.

Anytime a right winger has a chance to whine about progressives they will always take the chance. Even if it's not a political issue.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

So this church speaks for all of the state?

Who is to say how much all of those people in the church gets taxed? Shoot how much does that church get taxed?!

All political mud slinging aside, how could a church treat people like this?

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12 normally I agree....but Pelosi is too easy to pick on...

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Heartbreaking, really. Simply heartbreaking. Others should go take them fresh dry towels, and hot coffee.

I so hate to hear of this blatant cruelty and disregard for our mostly mentally ill and VETERANS.
edit on 3/18/2015 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: teslahowitzer
a reply to: olaru12 normally I agree....but Pelosi is too easy to pick on...

But she has absolutely nothing to do with this.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
How very Christian!

I'm not religious one iota, but several parts of the Christian bible teaches how to treat the homeless. Let's have a look what our good friend Leviticus had to say on the matter!

Leviticus 25:35-36 ESV / “If your brother becomes poor and cannot maintain himself with you, you shall support him as though he were a stranger and a sojourner, and he shall live with you. Take no interest from him or profit, but fear your God, that your brother may live beside you.

Another example of "Cafeteria Christians".

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join