It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Francisco Catholic church installs watering system to drench homeless people as they sleep

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: misskat1

Oh...and on the "programming" you mention. And keep in mind I know nothing about you or your experiences. If you live life as a good person, someone people call friend, rely upon and someone who is a positive in this world...you are already doing all you can and anything a God could ask. No real God would ask for more. People, Priests, etc...they are humans. They have to earn respect, it doesn't come with the outfit nor is it excluded by it. Me:Chapter 1:Verse Whatever

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: circuitsports
Of course there is a reason to single out black homeless people in San Fran I have seen them rob, stab, destroy and harass the downtown area.

I understand what some in the black community are doing, I have seen it myself. However this a thread about the Church in SF that was hosing the homeless.

Next people will say they make a positive difference in Oakland too.

That is just it, nobody suggested that those who are doing the things that you mentioned are making a positive difference anywhere. Let's use a little commonsense instead of fabricating arguments that nobody ever made.

No one has any problem saying its the white bankers that are destroying the world, fairs fair.

I didn't realize that all bankers are White, that's news to me. ~$heopleNation

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: SheopleNation

Yeah...no more than every rioter is black, every terrorist is Muslim...not every banker is a white male. But that IS how we all draw them, isn't it?

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: peskyhumans
That's not a Christian church. Christian churches help the homeless.

I'm not Catholic, but we have catholic charities which supply food and clothing, a Catholic homeless shelter and a Catholic soup kitchen in out town.

www.forbes.com...:2_sort:0_direction:asc_search:_filter:All%20categories

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance
I know not every Christian/Catholic is like this, but every cruel, bigoted, self-righteous, self-serving prick I've ever met has been Christian/Catholic...I would love to be able to get at the timers they use for their little system, and set them to go off right as people are entering/exiting mass. And maybe mix in a little bleach or something while I'm at it.

I see a lot of self righteousness on this very topic, you don't have to be Christian to be self righteous.

having or characterized by a certainty, especially an unfounded one, that one is totally correct or morally superior.
"self-righteous indignation and complacency"
synonyms: sanctimonious, holier-than-thou, self-satisfied, smug, priggish, complacent, pious, moralizing, preachy, superior, hypocritical; informal goody-goody

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Hideous. Just the title line made me sick.

I'm a Christian, and once upon a time I went through a very unpleasant, difficult & traumatic season of homelessness.

I've long been a little cautious around Catholicism in general - I even had a very similar unpleasant response from a Catholic priest, who considered a homeless (but polite) youth, to be an irritating irrelevance - rather than a soul in need of assistance. And it was clear I was in need of assistance at the time.

This sort of thing is utterly twisted, and proves that whoever is pulling the strings in regards to that particular church, is not aligned with Christ. Simples.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

People have assumptions that vary. An individual could also assume that Muslims are all bad , but may not assume that all blacks riot, or that all bankers are White. ~$heopleNation

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
BREAKING NEWS:

A San Francisco Catholic church has issued a public press release
to inform any and all destitue and homeless in the area that they
are now providing free showers from the hours of 6am to 6pm daily.

They are asking the public to please donate soap and towels.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Call me what you will, but I have an UHF device to keep the feral cats from using my flower garden as a litter box, and the neighborhood dog owners curbing their dogs...as they should. It a motion detector device that emits sound in high frequency that humans can't hear, but it sends animals scurrying. I did this because both these things were happening in my front yard.

I may be a cruel human, but I don't want any homeless persons camping in my yard either, mentally ill or veterans included. I have another device for TRESPASSERS which is very audible to human hearing for these types.

To all the judgmental bleeding hearts here in this thread; I suggest if you disagree with what this church is doing to keep human vermin off their yard, maybe allow them to sleep in your yard or doorway, or better yet, give them a spare room or the garage. This is coming from a man that spent 8+ years on the streets before getting my act together. People should realize that when they allow other people the courtesy and approval of living like animals they will continue to do so until everyone stops treating them like pets by feeding them, coddling them, and petting them. Mentally ill aside, as that is another issue, MOST (FACT) street types are drug addicts and alcoholics that need to stop being treated as if they deserve some kind of special considerations. DO NOT FEED THE ANIMALS---they quickly forget to how hunt for themselves...

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   

A San Francisco Catholic church has reportedly installed a “watering system” that discourages homeless people by drenching them as they sleep.

Well, maybe they expected Jesus to change it into wine?

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: odd1out
Well you would have to give charitable tax exempt status like the church gets to start with..Bet that church has a fat bank account, the $$ they rake in are for what? ..I do concede it is a tough situation.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: CryHavoc

A San Francisco Catholic church has reportedly installed a “watering system” that discourages homeless people by drenching them as they sleep.

Well, maybe they expected Jesus to change it into wine?

HA!!! The church should start pumping wine through the system on night. Wouldn't THAT make a news story. But...they would probably end up with more homeless.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
Ketsuko - are you saying it's the gubmint's responsibility to protect people from the church?

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Is it any wonder that the young people are abandoning formal religion

Well... I for one was never subverted into religion to begin with. Even as a child I could understand the truth in its deception. It's stories like this that only help solidify those views.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I have spent a few days reading though this thread, while running around doing other things, and I can't help but notice that most replies are heated, one way or another.

Some are upset that the church did this, and call it hypocrisy.

Some go the other direction, and claim it is justifiable, because they shouldn't be there, and because of needles, etc.

Some state that no one should complain unless they are willing to house homeless people.

There are a few very sensible balanced responses, but not as many as I would have hoped to find.

Here is my take on this.

1. This is/was a tremendous waste of water, in a state with water issues. They ought to be fined for that alone.

2. I personally have a hard time with an organization that regularly shelters illegal aliens, but would treat homeless people in this fashion. What, illegals are people deserving of compassion, and the homeless are rats or something? Very mixed message there!

3. I can see there being a problem with drug use on the grounds, but this isn't the solution. Cameras, and someone to monitor them, and call the police if a drug user shows up, would have been simpler. That would also avoid targeting some homeless person just looking for a sheltered place to rest.

4. An article someone linked had a follow-up, in which the church sad they were sorry and were removing the system. In that article, I noticed a couple of troublesome points.
a. The article stated that the system was modeled after systems used in the financial district for the same
purpose. Are those allowed? Is anyone addressing how bad that is for a financial district?
b. The article also stated that one goal, other than discouraging the homeless from sleeping there, was to clean out
the doorways, including needles. So, where do those go? The streets? Sidewalks? Storm drains? How is that not
a serious health concern??? As bad, at least, as the drug use in the doorways?

5. Comparing the church to people's homes, and claiming that people shouldn't complain unless they'd want homeless people on their porch or whatever isn't really logical. A home isn't a church, and a church isn't the same as a home. Not everyone has the means or the space to actually house others. Lots of people (most?) have children as well, and have to consider their safety, and inviting in any stranger is potentially very risky. An adult can decide to accept the risk, but placing children in danger is another matter. Many people rent, and cannot legally have additional people housed in their homes. So, it isn't fair to tell someone they can't complain because unless they are taking in homeless people.

6. Not all homeless people are where they are for the same reason. Some have a run of bad luck, which can happen to anyone. ANYONE. It doesn't have to be about bad decisions, either. Jobs can be lost through no fault of your own. Affordable housing can be sold and made unavailable. Unexpected bills can tax resources. Blaming it all on personal bad decisions and failure isn't' right. Some are in fact mentally ill, and unable to cope on their own. Some are veterans with physical and mental conditions, and the system that should help them very often does not. Some, now, are there because of bad decisions, and/or various addictions. some are simply flat out LAZY, and think the world owes them a living. I know someone like that. That sort, you cannot help. For those, I agree with the person that said "Don't feed the animals, because they forget how to hunt." Some of these people re so bad they refuse to care for themselves if there is ANY other option, including the option of eating at shelters and sleeping outside. The ones you can help are a different story. I will give money to some asking for it, but not all. Mainly discerning who seems to really nave a need, and who is just living off of begging. Not an exact science there, of course, and as much a feeling as anything else. We don't have a lot where we live, but there are some that are definitely really homeless, and they get help when we see them and can. If a person has the means, offering food for some odd job, or money, or needed clothing, or even a space, would be good. Not all homeless people are crazy, or drunks, or drug addicts. Entire families can and do end up homeless. As a society,w e need to judge each person on their own situation, and not limp them all together. We need better solutions, too. Shelters are often very problem-filled. Aid for food isn't always good, either. A local place was handing out expired and spoiled dairy products, and many seemed to think it didn't matter. Plus, even the best systems can be overtaxed, because of so many people in need.

A church, now, is another matter. Churches are supposed to do what they can to help those in need. Even if they have systems set up to shelter, feed, and whatever, this sort of action isn't right. ashing needles and other debris into the street or wherever isn't right. Treating people like that isn't right, and it is not a Christian thing to do. Some churches aren't doing as they should be. Some in ALL sectors. It's shameful. Even a small church can collect goods for a local food bank. Surely someone could more easily go to the person and direct t hem to a shelter. If they seemed unsafe, call in help. Dousing people with cold water for sleeping in a church doorway? Not right! An apology isn't enough. They need to repay some of the hurt caused. Host a meal for the homeless in the area, maybe, and gather clothing and other needed items. As a Christian, this really bothers me. If I attended a church that did that, they'd be getting a real earful, in a service, in front of everyone. I wonder what t he congregation of that place thinks of this.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   
The homeless are all so wonderful when they pea and poop on your doorstep

Many churches serve meals and offer places to sleep for the poor but who wants them on their doorstep?

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I want to make a profile of some of these homeless people. Pictures of them when they were in better condition, the accolades and achievements of their lives. Where they came from and how they got where they are.

I then want to guest speak at a church that uses a system like this. I want to show them these people, get them to feel bad. Then I want every single person in that church to know that they all took part in ruining what is already a ruined life. I want to look each of them in the eyes and drill the point home.

I am by no means a hardcore Christian. I believe in God, yes, but I do not go to church. This is a perfect example why. They preach openness and acceptance while at the same time closing their doors and pushing out anyone who doesn't fit the image they desire.

Let me put it this way. God, the Angels, Jesus..all the people modern day Christians aspire to ascend to live in Heaven. Heaven is supposed to be a place of indescribable beauty and awe. To them, that is people who reside in a place of such magnitude every day, we are the homeless filthy savages roaming the rough wastelands of Earth. If things were done in Heaven as they were on Earth, WE would be the ones turned away and sprayed with the hose because we don't have a place in the house(heaven) and are certainly no where near the standards and refinements that comprises Heaven.

Good luck getting anybody involved with a place mentioned in OP to listen to this, or even think about it. The hypocrisy and horrible attitudes of church is more a poison than a cure. We will see how many "religious" figures get chosen at the second coming.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Ensinger23

I also wanted to link this article I feel adds a little more weight to what I posted before.

PLEASE, do not read this if you do not want to learn about HORRIBLE things that have happened to children under the guises of religion.
The article is graphic (even at VICE standards) and depicts things that would turn the stomach of any person with a heart.

That being said, here is the link. This article changed everything for me. It briefly describes instances of child abuse done by Rabbis. Do not read it if this will negatively affect you. It is not an easy read. Granted this takes place in an ultra-Orthodox sect of Hacidism, it is STILL under the guise of religion. The control these people have over their "flock" is unthinkable.

The rabbis, dominating an ignorant and largely poverty-stricken flock, determine the fate of every individual in the community. Nothing is done without the consent of the rabbinical establishment. A man wants to buy a new car—he goes to the rabbi for counsel. A man wants to marry—the rabbi tells him whether or not he should marry a particular bride. As for the women, they don’t get to ask the rabbi anything. Their place is beneath contempt.

VICE - *WARNING - Not for everyone*

Rabbi Rosenberg believes around half of young males in Brooklyn’s Hasidic community—the largest in the United States and one of the largest in the world—have been victims of sexual assault perpetrated by their elders. Ben Hirsch, director of Survivors for Justice, a Brooklyn organization that advocates for Orthodox sex abuse victims, thinks the real number is higher. “From anecdotal evidence, we’re looking at over 50 percent. It has almost become a rite of passage.”

edit on 3/27/2015 by Ensinger23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: odd1out
Call me what you will, but I have an UHF device to keep the feral cats from using my flower garden as a litter box, and the neighborhood dog owners curbing their dogs...as they should. It a motion detector device that emits sound in high frequency that humans can't hear, but it sends animals scurrying. I did this because both these things were happening in my front yard.

I sympathize with you cause I have had the same issues, but the problem is that those devices harass wildlife as well. You said it is motion detected? I own one because I once had a wretched of a breed dog called a Puggle living next door to me yapping 24/7. However it was noise activated, and eventually it trains the dog to shut up.

I also have another one like yours that I was going to use for rats, but it started harassing my Cat so I just turned it off. Ended up trapping the Rat though cause apparently my Cat was too lazy to catch him. He actually brought the little vermin inside the house and was slapping it around playing with it. Then he lets it run out into our garage behind a bunch of stuff. ~$heopleNation

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join