It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Girls Enjoy 'Best School Lunch in America'...

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: IAMTAT

In other words, you want the childhood obesity rates to stay as they are, with no improvement. Wow - you really DO want America to be known for having the fattest and sickest population.

Yeah, you got me; I hate children and want them to die because I don't agree with the progressive liberal agenda.
Typical liberal tactic...it's getting old.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

In other words, you want the childhood obesity rates to stay as they are, with no improvement. Wow - you really DO want America to be known for having the fattest and sickest population.

Yeah, you got me; I hate children and want them to die because I don't agree with the progressive liberal agenda.

Well, you're arguing against an attempt to deal with these very serious problems, and not offering anything except political rhetoric in return.

I'd say that's a typical conservative tactic, except you forgot to invoke Jesus or Reagan.

Get real.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Not to worry, folks.
With US dollar end as reserve currency appetites of the elite will become more of the discussion topic. I mean the notorious gap will leave no one indifferent.

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

What other conclusion can I come to when you say you want NO reform?

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Hmmm how about instating recess and vigorous physical education?

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

Micro think attempt but in a right direction.

Yes, why?????

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Hmmm how about instating recess and vigorous physical education?

Sounds GREAT to me!

Now, how will we force individual State and local school systems to comply without a Federal mandate?

Because surely, they see the problem now, right? What are they doing about it?

Or are they too hungry for all that Federal money? And then serve our kids slops.

I respectfully submit that you're looking in the wrong direction for source of the primary problem.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

What does this have to do with anything at all?

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Is there any real proof that school lunches reduce obesity ?

The natural thing Humans do is stuff themselves after deprivation.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Is there any real proof that school lunches reduce obesity ?

The natural thing Humans do is stuff themselves after deprivation.

It's a ... fairly well-accepted fact, at least among scientists ... that the relationship between obesity, intake of calories (food) and physical activity is an understood system.

Of course, for those who don't accept science, evidence, or existing human knowledge and understanding ... nothing is certain.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

I guess there's no proof then.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

None that you will accept....

It appears Obama Derangement Syndrome has spread to his wife!

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Assuming you were actually interested, (and that seems doubtful), why don't you do a smidgen of actual research on the issue and report back to us?

Have you read the law? Do you know what the standards are? Do you know how the USDA has worked with State and local governments to implement the standards? Are kids getting enough calories? If not why not?

I'm willing to bet that won't happen, because your post's intention is merely to make it seem like there's some doubt that there's a problem in the first place.

/shrug

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Those whose believe some people deserve so little should hope there is no Karma in our universe.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

It's also a well-studied fact that starving a person to make them lose weight only works for as long as you maintain the starvation diet, too.

As soon as you reintroduce the caloric diet, the rebound is often worse than the original level of obesity.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

It's also a well-studied fact that starving a person to make them lose weight only works for as long as you maintain the starvation diet, too.

As soon as you reintroduce the caloric diet, the rebound is often worse than the original level of obesity.

Agreed. Do you have any evidence that the new school lunch guidelines are a "starvation diet"? I mean, aside from the hype on Alex Jone's site, etc.?

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: hellobruce

English translation = no proof at all.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Here, I can't help it.

Here's a baseline:

A quick glance at government calorie recommendations confirms this. The USDA recommends that boys aged 14 to18 consume an average of 2,200 to 3,200 kcal/day and girls aged 14 to 18 take in 1,800 to 2,400 kcal/day for a healthful, balanced diet. Assuming the average teenage boy or girl falls somewhere in the middle of these ranges, the calories they consume at lunch will equate to about one-third of their daily calories. Assuming again that these teens are eating three meals as well as a snack or two each day, there shouldn’t be a calorie deficit.

However, the USDA clearly states that these ranges are estimated amounts of calories needed to maintain calorie balance and that individual calorie needs may be lower or higher. According to information from the American Dietetic Association Complete Food & Nutrition Guide by Roberta Larson Duyff, MS, RD, FADA, CFCS, those calorie requirements jump to 3,500 or more for athletes and those involved in strenuous exercise.

One Size Doesn’t Fit All
Clearly, every lunch won’t fulfill every student’s caloric needs, but according to Beauvais, even the old standards didn’t sustain all the kids. Her first question for today’s students complaining of hunger is “Are you eating breakfast before you leave home or at school?” She says lunch isn’t intended to supply the entire day’s calories, but if students are hungry beyond what’s on their tray, schools offer extra portions. With all the choices of fresh fruits and vegetables at kids’ disposal, certainly something should be appealing, Beauvais adds.

Healthful School Lunches, All They're Cracked Up to Be?

The standard for lunch is 850 calories per day. Actually, that varies because the actual requirement is per week.

So, one meal at 850, if the other two meals in the day were at a similar level, that's over 2500 calories.

and ..

What about those highly active students thatmight need more calories?

• Educate students about the new standards. USDA data shows that students have tended not to take all the food available to them in the cafeteria line. Understanding the amount of food that can be selected the first time through the cafeteria line can help ensure that active kids are getting maximum energy benefit from their meal.

• Help increase awareness of the options for feeding those extra hungry students. Schools and families have options to help meet the energy needs of highly active students, such as athletes. Schools have no limit on making available second helpings of fruits and vegetables at lunch, and a second carton of milk may be an option, depending on how close they are to the calorie limits. Schools can also structure after-school snack and supper programs to include service to athletes. Individual students and/or sports teams can also supplement food provided through Federal programs with items provided from home or other sources.

The School Day Just Got Healthier - USDA Publication

May I suggest that some of you are not getting the full story from Alex Jone's and Glennbeckistan?
edit on 17Sat, 07 Feb 2015 17:42:17 -060015p052015266 by Gryphon66 because: Noted formating

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: hellobruce

English translation = no proof at all.

Do some research if you're interested. But you're not interested in facts are you?

Just taglines. Quips. What could be considered witticisms ...

English translation = no interest in the truth or actual evidence

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join