It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Girls Enjoy 'Best School Lunch in America'...

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Do you find it strange, that the folks who are usually diametrically opposed to any sort of government programs helping anyone have as their main complaint about this one that it's not doing enough?

Of course, none of that is based on facts, but still ... does that strike you as ironic?

That's what's wrong with the program; it's not doing enough to make sure that the individual states, counties and cities are doing what they should be doing, i.e. there's not enough government regulation here.

/sheesh

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

No, actually, my main complaint is that it imposes one size fits all restrictions and the food it provides as a result of those restrictions is crap.

In other words, it is a dictatorial piece of crap.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

As a sports dietitian who works with athletes of all ages, I help elite high school athletes develop individualized performance nutrition programs.

Are you just going to continue this discussion as if all our schools are full of athletes?

Or elite ones if we are talking about what your source recommends.

ETA: My graduating class had 2000+ kids in it, pretty sure you are the one trying use the 'one size fits all' here.

edit on thSat, 07 Feb 2015 20:04:16 -0600America/Chicago220151680 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Ya it is pretty funny.

Or that it is all about personal responsibility and not relying on any one but you to provide for you and yours.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

No, actually, my main complaint is that it imposes one size fits all restrictions and the food it provides as a result of those restrictions is crap.

In other words, it is a dictatorial piece of crap.

"It" is a set of guidelines that I'm almost 100% certain you haven't even read.

You've ignored every fact that doesn't meet what I would bet is your pre-formed conclusion.

You're ignoring that food choices are made at the local level.

You're ignoring that additional food is available if kids are hungry, particularly for athletes.

You're ignoring that the USDA has listened to problems and complains and made adjustments in the requirements.

Good. Finally, we have your pronouncement of opinion, and we're done.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Not really, but I did come out of a high school class that signed 4 kids to Div I college athletics and another 5 to Div II ... out of about 160 kids. I was one of the first 4.

That's a high ratio of kids who are training pretty hard, and I had no extra flesh to spare. So I would have starved away. In fact, I had a metabolic issue my freshman year in college that required heavy dietary work just to attempt to keep up with the weight I was losing.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   

I have looked at them. Where else do you think I see the protein serving sizes and the serving sizes for fruits and vegetables?

It's a nice PDF.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Did you get censored for typing shiitake mushrooms?!?

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   

There isn't much room for choice.

Athletes need nutrient dense food, not just an extra apple.

You are ignoring that freedom is always the best option because the individual is the one best suited to take care of their own personal needs. Some will make poor choices, but that is no reason to force the rest into making poor choices for what you consider to be "correct" for all.

Central planning is always a failure on a grand scale.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Ya it is pretty funny.

Or that it is all about personal responsibility and not relying on any one but you to provide for you and yours.

Oh believe me it's equally funny watching the social programs crowd suddenly gain a new appreciation for personal responsibility.

Take my money to pay for crappy food and then get mad when I don't want to pay for food twice over ...

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Ya but the social program crowd isn't the one complaining about it, just the crowd saying practice what you preach.
Who's responsibility is it to get the kids the nutrition they need if it is more then the average kid?
You are the one that is going on and on and on about how the schools are not catering to the athletes enough and then complaining about a flawed 'one size fits all' logic and then calling the food crappy.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Ya but the social program crowd isn't the one complaining about it, just the crowd saying practice what you preach.
Who's responsibility is it to get the kids the nutrition they need if it is more then the average kid?
You are the one that is going on and on and on about how the schools are not catering to the athletes enough and then complaining about a flawed 'one size fits all' logic and then calling the food crappy.

If I had my way, the money we all spend in taxes for public schools would be remitted in a voucher back to parents so they could choose what schools they want their kids to attend rather than being trapped into the school the government deems fit by zip code.

But I'm sure you have all kinds of vapors over that.

But to get an idea of how offensive this is, Laura Bush's crusade was school literacy. Imagine that she had promoted a series of regulations for public schools on what books kids read and how much. Oh, there would be some choice to the schools, but they would have to choose books from certain categories and some titles would be mandated no matter what like maybe Huck Finn and titles were not chosen with an eye toward author diversity so much as strict literary merit and your son or daughter had to read the books even if they were below that reading level or hated that book ...

But it was all done for the literacy needs of your children who don't read enough even if they did.
edit on 7-2-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ProfessorChaos

their children have to go to private schools because of security , but i think you are wrong by calling them aristocrats

Aristocrat comes from the Greek word for best leader , and in those days that's just what they did , they led from the front

not from some secure bunker miles from the battle field .

from what i have read on this site and other stories America is no longer the land of the free , home of the brave .

you have a dictatorship and your free will is slowly but surely being taken away from you , a little bit here a little bit there

until one day you will just automatically obey any new ruling they give you .

the America your grand parents knew is not the America you now know, and the America you know will not be the America your grand children will come to know .

but you are not alone because my country and the rest of Europe is slowly going the same way .

Some very clever and devious people are behind all this and i don't think we can do anything to stop it ,

i won't be around to see to see the end result but i fear that my grand children will , and maybe they will hear stories of how things used to be, but not believe it possible.

Will someone please stop this planet , i think i would like to get off now .

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Disgusting slop all mixed together a pig wouldn't eat. Laced with GMO field corn. No wonder kids soil themselves on the playground lol. Give them a couple health food bars with nuts and fruit and a carton of milk.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Connector

originally posted by: xuenchen
Hmmm.

Feds Order School to Ban Packed Lunches Without Doctor’s Note

failure begets failure

Had you read this thread thoroughly, you'd know that is a debunked hoax from 2001
and really infowars as a source, you should know better by now.

Hate to quote myself, but your first post after being called out....

Is there any real proof that school lunches reduce obesity ?

The natural thing Humans do is stuff themselves after deprivation.

So, you just ignore the fact, you linked a completely BS article to back up your claims and continue on.....lol. I wonder why things are so FU....not.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Connector

Well *IS* there any proof?

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Is there any proof they don't?

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

There isn't much room for choice.

Athletes need nutrient dense food, not just an extra apple.

You are ignoring that freedom is always the best option because the individual is the one best suited to take care of their own personal needs. Some will make poor choices, but that is no reason to force the rest into making poor choices for what you consider to be "correct" for all.

Central planning is always a failure on a grand scale.

If that were true, obesity would not have been escalating in children. That's merely an idealized talking point. Every individual doing their own thing results in chaos. The closest political system that has implemented that idea is Somalia. Is that somewhere you want to live?

Why is that? Because we are not just individuals each existing in our own space, but we're all connected. What happens to you affects me, and what happens to you affects me. It is only in the illusory libertarian wonderland that everyone always makes the best decisions, does the right thing, works hard and lives right.

What a hypocrite! You've grown up in a country that wouldn't have afforded you any of the privileges you've known with out "central planning." Without the Federal government, you wouldn't have interstates, an electric grid or the internet, and you'd likely be speaking Russian, German or Japanese. You wouldn't have safe medicenes or clean food to buy at the market.

Don't talk to me about failure; it's absurd.
edit on 23Sat, 07 Feb 2015 23:53:36 -060015p112015266 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   

a reply to: Connector

Well *IS* there any proof?

The proof you linked a bogus article to make your claim?

Hmmm.

Feds Order School to Ban Packed Lunches Without Doctor’s Note

failure begets failure

Someone with character would admit a mistake, apologize, learn and move on.

Since you carry on, I assume everything you post is false with an agenda

edit on 8-2-2015 by Connector because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Open Chicago style Italian delicatessens in the schools.

Oh man I could go for an Al & Joes sub right about now.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join