It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking Bans - Where will it end?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

That makes you story worse - you are now standing 32.8 feet away from a smoker and having it effect your lungs - but you are also so caring a person and such a good friend that you let someone smoke a cigarette in the same room as you - even though it was breaking the rules that the boss set to protect you from smoke.

Do you see how ridiculous you sound and might I say unbelievable

Tired of Control

link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Not addressing the Hitler part because its erroneous. And please, for the sake of having a decent discussion, stop with the condescending BS. No one is claiming to be your master, no one is claiming to be perfect.

And pet dander is a problem? Then we have something to talk about. It would apply here. Hey if my dog is barking and bugging my neighbors, they can make me get rid of her. If I want to keep my dog in my home, then I should get a house at that point.

Cooking? Get over it. That's where things start to be absurd. We wouldn't want to fault someone for burning toast would we?

link   
a reply to: thenewguy1987

Well if that's all it takes then they ought to ban fluorescent lighting and perfume and anything else that is a migraine trigger. After all, just seeing those lights or smelling those scents negatively impacts my health. Why don't you think of that before you use those bulbs or put on that stinky stuff?

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That can be the discussion if it must, but thats not where the OP is going.

His tone suggests it should be his way and screw everyone else. He wishes to invoke Hitler's policies as if they matter in this situation. All while failing to see that his choice to damage his health has an effect on my health when he does it where we share the same space.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Ah - so this is all about you and no one else right?

It doesn't bother you that people have to live in apartment buildings with other things like pet dander, cleaning chemicals, strong cooking odours, fluorescent lighting, air fresheners, candles, BBQ, fireplaces and wood stoves.

Can you explain why only smokers must achieve such a standard of perfection as a neighbour?

I guess the thing for me to do is to but a boiling pot of curry and african fish oils on the back of my stove so that the smell will cover the smell of my cigarette smoke.

BTW - the burning of organic material produces the same 7000 toxic chemcials in smoke

Read this thread - the campaign to ban all wood burning and BBQ's is already underway

Physicians Organization Gives 17 Reasons to Ban Wood Burning

You still haven't said why the description of smoker to the jews in Germany is not apt? I understand that you don't like it but why do you think it is inaccurate?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I find it highly ironic that we are so "liberated" when it comes to marijuana, but we so hate tobacco.

I don't care what substance we are talking about smoking. Putting smoke into your lungs is NOT healthy for you.

I just find it hypocritical that people will talk about legalizing one form of smoked substance all while they steadily work on banning another.

Personally, what you do, you do. Just don't ask me to be responsible for your bad choices.

In fact, the Portuguese law that prohibits smoking in certain areas applies specifically to tobacco, as that's the only kind of smoking for which they presented data showing that it was bad for people's health.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

You aren't listening. I said if pet dander, and I'll expand it to the other things you mention, are the problem that cigarette smoke has been proven to be, then that can be a discussion of its own.

But this is about you smoking around someone who doesn't wish to have that damage put upon them.

And again, the Hitler comparison is offensive and just plain erroneous. His motives were not to better peoples health but to crush a population.

It is not about me. You are the one who is wanting it to be about them.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Exactly! Let the studies come out and the years and years of research proving the harms of these other things and we can talk about it.

That's how these things work.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   

His tone suggests liberty.

In his own home, why shouldn't he have the freedom to do as he wishes?

You see I once used to have the freedom to use whatever light bulb I wished and then they made the ones I used illegal because the planet took precedence.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

The studies are already out and the research is decades old. This a website comparing wood smoke and tobacco smoke

burningissues.org...

here is more information

burningissues.org...

The campaigns to ban all wood burning are already underway

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks
YOU are the one who entered this debate with a story of what a sad little victim of smokers you were! YOU know the story is a lie or at least a gross exaggeration

I entered this debate (although I wouldn't call it debate when you keep on repeating the same thing over and over like a broken record) to say that "it can be about health", and I presented my reasons, as I think everybody should. And no, the story is not a lie (I stopped lying many years ago) or an exaggeration, it's true, the fact that you don't believe only shows that you are not capable of seeing that other people may be different from what you think they are.

You proved that when you were able to stay with your friend while she smoked.

I never said that I couldn't, did I? It made me use my inhaler (Ventilan/Ventolin) sooner than I used to, that's why I considered that it was something I could do without big problems. And it was a co-worker, not a friend.

Everyone wants the same thing - you all want to be friends and party with smoker - but you want to be able to demand that they cease to smoke while you do it!

Wrong in both, I don't want to be friends and party with smokers and I don't want to be able to demand a thing, I don't understand why you are saying those things about me.

Please - don't be our friend - we don't want to party with uptight frightened people - we want you to stay away and leave us in peace.

I don't want to be your friend, I'm not uptight, I'm not frightened (of what?) and I don't go to parties.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Yes the Hitler comparison is offensive. It is deeply offensive to all smokers and it is even more deeply offensive to the men who dies fighting Hitler.

That still doesn't make the comparison wrong - does it?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: thenewguy1987

Exactly! Let the studies come out and the years and years of research proving the harms of these other things and we can talk about it.

That's how these things work.

And when the truth comes out about how little harm there is in secondhand smoke comes out, you will be all for eliminating the smoking bans right?

My first post on this thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

link   

originally posted by: kalalausoul
Im a non smoker and I see the general perspective here but If its that big of a deal, get rid of all your house cleaning products, all unhealthy foods, and move as far as possible from the pollution of the city because this is having just as a negative effect on your lungs as second hand cigarette smoke. Not to mention if chemtrails exist, who knows what negative toll that takes on the lungs. Just a perspective.

Have any non smokers had a good look at the unbiased reports on smoking and health. The conclusions that I drew were that moderate smoking was in fact good for your health, immoderate smoking was bad. But isn't that, like everything else?

The final conclusion that I came to, was that the main cause of Disease was the consumption of triglycerides from animal products. The main cause of these is Dairy products, or again the immoderate consumption, of what once was considered treats, but now has at least 50% of the average diet. If your loaded with these anything else, smoking included, will do you in. Cut these out and everything will start to work properly again. You might as well have a diet of rats milk, because it was designed for rats just as cows milk is designed for cows.

link   

That makes you story worse - you are now standing 32.8 feet away from a smoker and having it effect your lungs - but you are also so caring a person and such a good friend that you let someone smoke a cigarette in the same room as you - even though it was breaking the rules that the boss set to protect you from smoke.

The story may sound worse, but it's the truth.

Do you see how ridiculous you sound and might I say unbelievable

That only happens to people that are unable to see other points of view.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

And my response to you is the say that you wanted to tell a story that "it could be about health". Your story is unbelievable! Plain and simple

And yes - you are frightened. Asthma is such a terrible and frightening disease that people who suffer from asthma frequently suffer psychogenic attacks. Psychogenic means that you have attack just because you are afraid that you might have an attack.

You saw a smoker that was 32 feet away. All the literature and research that is available shows that cigarette smoke cannot be detected at that distance. And it is more likely that you had an attack because you saw a smoker.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I live in a high rise apartment building in Indiana, so far we are also allowed to smoke in them.

But here's the deal people, I don't pay your rent and you don't pay mine. If you live in an apartment building just accept the fact that others in the building smoke, it's their right to do so. If you want to live smoke free, then move to where there are no smokers.

Geesh, I can't tell you how many times I pass certain apartments and smell drugs that sometimes invade my home, so I just accept the fact that I don't pay their rent and they don't pay mine. We live in a real world. Next time someone is offended by the smoke, use an air freshener or open up your portal to the world outside.

Sure, I would love a perfect world, but this isn't it. I have to pull up my big girl pants and accept that.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   

And my response to you is the say that you wanted to tell a story that "it could be about health". Your story is unbelievable! Plain and simple

And yes - you are frightened. Asthma is such a terrible and frightening disease that people who suffer from asthma frequently suffer psychogenic attacks. Psychogenic means that you have attack just because you are afraid that you might have an attack.

You saw a smoker that was 32 feet away. All the literature and research that is available shows that cigarette smoke cannot be detected at that distance. And it is more likely that you had an attack because you saw a smoker.

Tired of Control Freaks

What a laugh back in the day not so long ago if you had asthma the doctor would tell you to start smoking as it stopped the attacks. Yeh in another thread it said that in 2020 50% of the kids will be diagnosed with ADS. Which means that in 2030 50% of adults will be mentally impaired with their reasoning ability...Well F%$#@ me its already happened!

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Tired of Control Freaks

I have asthma and I smoke. But my asthma isn't psychogenic because it is always triggered by very cold air. I have always been that way.

I'm not an anxious person who has asthmatic attacks because of something making me flip out or afraid, so to ease the asthma from flaring, I make sure my mouth is covered when going out.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity
Have any non smokers had a good look at the unbiased reports on smoking and health. The conclusions that I drew were that moderate smoking was in fact good for your health, immoderate smoking was bad. But isn't that, like everything else?

I didn't look at any of those reports because I know that's true.

The final conclusion that I came to, was that the main cause of Disease was the consumption of triglycerides from animal products. The main cause of these is Dairy products, or again the immoderate consumption, of what once was considered treats, but now has at least 50% of the average diet. If your loaded with these anything else, smoking included, will do you in. Cut these out and everything will start to work properly again. You might as well have a diet of rats milk, because it was designed for rats just as cows milk is designed for cows.

I read some time ago that some people (mostly those with an ascendancy from areas where there is a large production of dairy products) are much less affected by dairy products.

One thing I think we should always remember is that each one of us is a specific case, we should not consider what is a solution for a person as an universal solution that will work the same way for all people and a personal problem an universal problem.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join