It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking Bans - Where will it end?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Current Ban Campaigns

Perfumes - burningissues.org...
Wood burning : www.forbes.com...

home.howstuffworks.com...

www.telegraph.co.uk...

All these things are not just coming out of my head. There is money to be made in lobbying for bans and there are people working on bans like you wouldn't believe.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Same for our city, they recently banned smoking outdoors anywhere near a park or school or basically anywhere near anyone outdoors.

I guess my only option is to not pay the section of my taxes which go to parks and schools and anything outdoors? LOL
That should give us a negative tax bill and we can use that new found money to pay for bail when they come and get me.

S&F to the OP for shining a light on this injustice.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

ArMap

I apologise because at the end of the day - although I know your story is likely not true - you most probably believe that it is!

But here is a cold hard fact - you have a disease - I didn't give it to you - smoking used to be thought to be the cause of asthma but now know that it is not. Cigarette smoke may be a trigger for you but so can hundreds of other things. Cigarette Smoke doesn't even make it into the top 5. Cockroad poop is number 1 trigger, followed by mould, fungus and pollen.

But at the end of the day - you can't avoid things that trigger your asthma. And indeed - the treatment for asthma and allergies is to deliberately expose you to your trigger in very small quantities to help your immune system stop overreacting.

Many many astham sufferers find that smoking a cigarette is just as effective in stopping an asthma attack as puffer.

However at that the end of the day - you have a disease, and you can't reasonably expect me to live as though I have the same disease. I don't have the disease and I have no reason to avoid cigarette smoke.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Iwinder

They act as though it were always the total responsibility of smokers to be concerned with the health of non-smokers.

If you are exposed to cigarette smoke in a park - put on your big boy pants, take responsibility for your own health and stay away from the smoker. Its not like there is no room to move.

outdoor bans are another prooof that this issue is about control. There is absolutely no evidence that encountering a smoker out doors has any effect on your health at all.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

ArMap

I apologise because at the end of the day - although I know your story is likely not true - you most probably believe that it is!

But here is a cold hard fact - you have a disease - I didn't give it to you - smoking used to be thought to be the cause of asthma but now know that it is not. Cigarette smoke may be a trigger for you but so can hundreds of other things. Cigarette Smoke doesn't even make it into the top 5. Cockroad poop is number 1 trigger, followed by mould, fungus and pollen.

But at the end of the day - you can't avoid things that trigger your asthma. And indeed - the treatment for asthma and allergies is to deliberately expose you to your trigger in very small quantities to help your immune system stop overreacting.

Many many astham sufferers find that smoking a cigarette is just as effective in stopping an asthma attack as puffer.

However at that the end of the day - you have a disease, and you can't reasonably expect me to live as though I have the same disease. I don't have the disease and I have no reason to avoid cigarette smoke.

Tired of Control Freaks

And the Albuterol in the puffer, what an incredibly insane high someone gets from that. I am surprised no one is addicted to Albuterol.

I don't like the feeling from the Albuterol, so I do what I can to limit the need to use it. It is a powerful steroid and we all know the effects of steroids.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   

And my response to you is the say that you wanted to tell a story that "it could be about health". Your story is unbelievable! Plain and simple

It may be unbelievable to you, regardless of what you think it's the truth.

And yes - you are frightened. Asthma is such a terrible and frightening disease that people who suffer from asthma frequently suffer psychogenic attacks. Psychogenic means that you have attack just because you are afraid that you might have an attack.

No, I'm not frightened, I learned to avoid that since I was 5 years old (the first time I had to spend the night in the hospital, getting oxygen). I learned how not to be frightened, how not to get upset, how to move slower than most people, how to avoid sleeping in a position that would make it harder to breath, etc.

You saw a smoker that was 32 feet away.

I didn't say I saw him, and that's because, at first, I didn't saw him, I smelled the cigarette smoke. Then I got to the balcony to see who was smoking, saw that it was the neighbour from the floor bellow mine (but on the other side of that floor, each floor has two apartments), got back to my room and closed the window‍.

All the literature and research that is available shows that cigarette smoke cannot be detected at that distance.

You only posted one article, and it doesn't say that, it says is "If there's just one smoker, and you can sit six feet away, you would have little problem."

Also, I don't care what other people say about their measurements, I know what I feel.

And it is more likely that you had an attack because you saw a smoker.

I didn't say I had an attack (why do you keep on distorting what I write?), I said that I noticed the effect of the smoke.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Your story is still unbelievable

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   

How is it you are able to post the word window and it shows up in your comment window?

Wait, what is going on here? Did you guys fix the window text problem or is it only on certain threads?

On topic, cold triggers mine.

edit on 1/25/2015 by WarminIndy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity
What a laugh back in the day not so long ago if you had asthma the doctor would tell you to start smoking as it stopped the attacks.

That's true, they said that (I think they said to smoke straw cigarettes), but it didn't work with me.

It works in some cases because it contracts the upper part of the respiratory tract, which may help some people (I think those in which the problem results from an inflammation in that part of the respiratory tract), as my problem is in the bronchioles it doesn't help, as the anti-inflammatory effect was all used before reaching the bronchioles.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: WarminIndy
I have asthma and I smoke. But my asthma isn't psychogenic because it is always triggered by very cold air. I have always been that way.

I'm the opposite, I'm always better in cold weather, specially if it's dry (as it usually is in the place I live).

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

On another note:

If the government were to pass such a ban, they would have to have some means of enforcement.

Would they then use noknock warrents to invade the homes of smokers

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

originally posted by: anonentity
Have any non smokers had a good look at the unbiased reports on smoking and health. The conclusions that I drew were that moderate smoking was in fact good for your health, immoderate smoking was bad. But isn't that, like everything else?

I didn't look at any of those reports because I know that's true.

The final conclusion that I came to, was that the main cause of Disease was the consumption of triglycerides from animal products. The main cause of these is Dairy products, or again the immoderate consumption, of what once was considered treats, but now has at least 50% of the average diet. If your loaded with these anything else, smoking included, will do you in. Cut these out and everything will start to work properly again. You might as well have a diet of rats milk, because it was designed for rats just as cows milk is designed for cows.

I read some time ago that some people (mostly those with an ascendancy from areas where there is a large production of dairy products) are much less affected by dairy products.

One thing I think we should always remember is that each one of us is a specific case, we should not consider what is a solution for a person as an universal solution that will work the same way for all people and a personal problem an universal problem.

Unfortunately, the main cause of disease is the lack of basic knowledge, If you lack knowledge you are mentally challenged in the field where someone who has more of it trysts with someone who has less of it. Which is why dumber people are generally poorer, than more intelligent people. If one half of the population can feed crap to the other half, they will not only profit but they will prosper, with all the flow on effects, of the compromised health issues. Which is now a market bigger than arms production.

Even if you try to increase your knowledge, you will have to fight through biased reports put out by the crap vendors, that seem to endorse their products but suffer no liabilities for the wrong use of etc. These are just part and parcel of human nature. But like all things this to will pass.
edit on 25-1-2015 by anonentity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   

ArMap

You know nothing about me or my story, and it shows.

But here is a cold hard fact - you have a disease - I didn't give it to you - smoking used to be thought to be the cause of asthma but now know that it is not.

Yes, I have a disease, if anybody gave it to me it was my mother (some doctors think that). And no, it wasn't smoke or being close to cats (something that some people used to say could "give" asthma to children).

Cigarette smoke may be a trigger for you but so can hundreds of other things. Cigarette Smoke doesn't even make it into the top 5. Cockroad poop is number 1 trigger, followed by mould, fungus and pollen.

On that list, cigarette smoke and mould are the most effective triggers for me, followed by pollen (a little).

My asthma is not an allergic asthma, those treatments don't work with me, they worked (a little) with my brother.

As I said in a previous post, I know that, but it doesn't work for me.

However at that the end of the day - you have a disease, and you can't reasonably expect me to live as though I have the same disease.

I don't expect that, as you can see if read what I wrote in this thread. What I have been trying to tell you is that, for some people, it is a real health problem.

I don't have the disease and I have no reason to avoid cigarette smoke.

I didn't say you should.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Then perhaps that small minority of people who are truly effected should seek housing in buildings where smoking is already banned?

And leave the rest of us in peace

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: WarminIndy

How is it you are able to post the word window and it shows up in your comment window?

Wait, what is going on here? Did you guys fix the window text problem or is it only on certain threads?

The problem with the word "window" followed by a "."? It still exists, as you can see: window.

I just know how to avoid it. window‍.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   

On another note:

If the government were to pass such a ban, they would have to have some means of enforcement.

Would they then use noknock warrents to invade the homes of smokers

That's another reason why I think something like that is not a real threat, it's not something easy to enforce without much worse laws being in place.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Actually smoking bans in residential units already exist

www.berkeleyside.com...

Tired of Control freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Then perhaps that small minority of people who are truly effected should seek housing in buildings where smoking is already banned?

There are smokers everywhere, buildings like those are not.

And leave the rest of us in peace

If your peace is affected by my posting that "it can be a health problem", isn't that the same situation of the non-smokers health being affected by the smokers' actions?

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Actually smoking bans in residential units already exist

www.berkeleyside.com...

What are those people thinking?

I suppose they rely on informers to enforce those laws.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

yes - of course - like HItler did. Make sure and divide the population. Provide internal enemies to divert the population away from what is really happening. Children against parents. Neighbour against neighbour.

I wonder how long it will be until someone suggests that all smokers should live in a ghetto by themselves?

Tired of Control Freaks

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join