It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking Bans - Where will it end?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks
I am sorry dear but asthma rates have increased over 800 % in lock-step with the decrease of smoking in the population.

That doesn't mean some people are badly affected by cigarette smoke, does it?

If you are so sensitive to particulate that cigarette smoke can effect you through a concrete wall then you are probably going to die anyway!

I'm sure I am going to die, I'm not immortal.

But if you were not so interested in appearing as a victim you would have noticed that I talked about an open window, not a concrete wall.

So since you are so sensitive to smoke - may I ask if you have taken the trouble to rent or buy a home in the thousands of apartment and condo buildings that are already smoke free

I suppose you didn't notice that I said that it was up to 1.5 years ago, since then I have getting better of my asthma. And no, I don't have the means to buy a new apartment, I barely have enough money to keep living on this one, that I inherited from my parents.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: onehuman

I am with you onehuman

When the jews were being harassed exactly as smokers are now - some of them thought that they weren't jews and tried to pass for germans. They tried to appease the beast.

They all ended up in the concentration camps anyway.

I am a smoker. Research shows that smokers are rebels and risk-takers. I never could stand a bully and I certainly will not be the one to appease them.

But you and I both know that bullies NEVER stop - once they feel that they have conquored on victim, they only move on to find the next.

I am going to enjoy the show in the next few years while those silly, frightened non-smokers who begged the government to "protect" them, find out the truth of a few sayings:

Like "those who would trade freedom for security will end up with neither".

You think they would have learned from the Patriot Act and the Drug Wars how this is all going to end.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: onehuman

To me, that's the biggest problem, the idea that things should be black or white, when things rarely are like that.

It's the same type of fundamentalism that makes people say "it can't be about health", while they affect other people's health, it's called "selfishness".

Although I was very sensitive to tobacco smoke I would, sometimes, let my co-workers smoke near me, when I noticed that they were under a strong stress and were badly needing their nicotine quota.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Honey stop please - you are embarrasing yourself

Your window is 30 feet away from a smoker and its affecting your lungs

Even the most ardent anti-smoker scientists, using the most sensitive equipment, couldn't find an effect less than 6 feet away.

news.stanford.edu...

However, the researchers found that air quality improved as they moved away from the smoker. "These results show what common sense would suggest—when you're within a few feet downwind of a smoker, you get exposed," Ott explained. "But likewise, when you go a little distance or stay upwind, the exposure goes way down. If there's just one smoker, and you can sit six feet away, you would have little problem. At the same time, if there are a lot of smokers nearby, you may be exposed to very high levels of secondhand smoke. So this thing that critics have been dismissing as trivial is not."

You have no way of knowing if the effect on your lungs was the smoker 30 feet away or an invisible cloud of pollen.

And I asked you a question: Do you require every condo and every apartment in the city to be smoke-free?

Tell me again why you can't sell your apartment and buy one in a smoke-free building. There are tons of them around

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Oh HOW BIG OF YOU - you let a smoker smoke a cigarette in your presence. Surely I must worship at your feet.

And why didn't you just move away????

Tired of control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks
You didn't just compare being a smoker with being Jewish in nazi Germany did you. Tell me you didn't???

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks
Honey stop please - you are embarrasing yourself

I never stop just because someone thinks (or says he/she thinks) that I am embarrassing myself when I telling the truth.

Your window is 30 feet away from a smoker and its affecting your lungs

10 metres, not 30 feet.

And yes, it did affect me.

Even the most ardent anti-smoker scientists, using the most sensitive equipment, couldn't find an effect less than 6 feet away.

news.stanford.edu...

I don't care what some scientist or all the scientists in the world say, I noticed it.

(are you one of those people that only quote scientists when it suits them?
)

You have no way of knowing if the effect on your lungs was the smoker 30 feet away or an invisible cloud of pollen.

I have, the results are different, pollen doesn't affect my asthma in the same way, with tobacco smoke I used to feel as if the lungs reduced in size a little, pollen only affects the upper part of my respiratory tract.

And I asked you a question: Do you require every condo and every apartment in the city to be smoke-free?

No, why should I? I don't even require that my neighbour stopped smoking, I just closed the window. I was commenting on your "it can't be because of health" (or words like that), as I know that it can be.

Tell me again why you can't sell your apartment and buy one in a smoke-free building. There are tons of them around

There aren't smoke free buildings in Portugal.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I live in an apartment, and from time to time my neighbor will smoke a cigar of sorts in his unit.

The whole next day my apartment wreaks of cigar smoke.

Put aside health issues, the smell is offensive.

That smokers can't understand that blows my mind.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

he did, and will as many times as possible, judging by a thread yesterday.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

Actually I compared the propaganda campaigns of the anti-smokers to the anti-jewish campaigns of Hitler.

Can you show me a difference?

Are you going to come back with "well you can always quit a jew couldn't quit being a jew". You will notice that Hitler didn't stop at jews, did he? He went after the mental defective, homo-sexuals, the physically disable, the Roma etc etc

Now the jews couldn't stop being jews but there were many many jews who did not believe they were jews and didn't understand how far back in parentage Hitler would go? I guess you could say that the Roma could stop being Roma simply by renting houses and denying they were Roma and homosexuals could simply stop having sex.

In the end - it comes down to being who you are. I am a smoker. Smoking is a legal activity.

Are you suggesting that I need to give up a legal activity, where I am doing nothing wrong, in order to claim my rights under the human rights code and the constitution.

And if I am going to give up smoking for fear of losing my rights - then what will the bully demand?

In the end - my point is the same. I will not deny I am smoker to save myself.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   

10 metre is 30 feet! There are 3 feet to every metre

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: thenewguy1987

From time to time, my neighbour who is eat Indian will cook a curry. In this case, from time to time is quite often. My apartment constantly smells of curry. I find it very unpleasant

And there are carcinogens in cooked food.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
If you own your home, then no one should be able to dictate what you can or cannot do.

However, living in an apartment building, or being in a restaurant, or in a mall, I don't want to breath that stuff in. I don't want to smell it. I don't want any part of it. What you do to yourself, is your own business. But when what you do effects me and my health, then there's a problem.

So the particulates of diesel in the big city, which cause a non smoker to have the equivalent of forty un tipped cigs a day, holds no concern for you? Or even the searing on a barbequed steak, that give you the equivalent carcinogens found in five hundred cigs, also have no concern. You sound like they really have done a job on you. Having said that ,I think their should be smokers only places, where I haven't got to mix with non smokers, because the hype is boring me now.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

that comparison fails in this situation.

we must eat to live, no matter the type of food. one doesn't have to smoke to live.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

Do people normally sit in a room with diesel engine exhaust? I don't.

Do people normally grill indoors? I don't.
edit on 1/25/2015 by EternalSolace because: Grammar

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Saying that the comparison fails does not make it so! - If you are going to debate the point than do so rationally and with evidence

1. Hitler started by destroying the personae of a jewish person. A jew in pre-war Germany was a respected citizen like everyone one. Hitler started putting out propaganda claiming the jews were dirty, stinky, anti-social, a destroyer in all respects. He even compared them to rats.

Anti-smokers took the smell of fresh cigarette smoke and started telling everyone how bad it smelled. Considering that tobacco is sold based on its smell that was news to many smokers. They said we were dirty, smelled bad, accused us of spreading disease, claimed we were selfish and anti-social - destroyers in all respects.

Go to a website called supid.ontario.ca were smokers are compared to cockroachs and snakes.

2. Hitler started intruding on the human and constitional rights of jews. They couldn't sit on a part bench. Go to restaurants and cafes. He denied them jobs. He denied them places to live and study

Anti-smokers have spent years lobbying landlords to pass anti-smoking bans in their building right down to denying building permits unless the build would be non-smoking. Anti-smokers have also lobbied employers to deny smokers jobs. Many times those lobbying efforts were tied to government grants. Anti-smokers have lobbied colleges and Universities to pass anti-smoking laws and tied those laws to research grants.

In Ontario - smokers are not allowed on playgrounds, sports venues, concerts in the park, bars restaurants, cafes and patios. We may not smoke if we are truck drivers, we own the truck and we are the only ones in it. Smoking is banned in private homes where day cares are located, even during off-day care hours.

Smokers are also being herded in where they can live. With the new buildings, which can only be built with permits tied to anti-smoking, we are herded to older buildings. Smoking is forbidden in social housing.

So how are we not like the jews?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   

It is not for YOU to decide what is necessary in my life! It is my life afterall! Or have I lost the right to be in control of my own life - are YOU truly my master now?

Tired of Control Freaks

link   

stop invoking Hitler, then we can be rational.

link   

smoking is not necessary to life, in fact, it is detrimental to it.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Outdoor air is the mother of indoor air. A polluted by diesel exhaust and grilling is passed into your house.

YOU are sitting with diesal exhaust and grilling exhaust when you sit in your living room

Tired of Control Freaks

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join