It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking Bans - Where will it end?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: thenewguy1987

Explain how the comparison is not rational. You saying it isn't doesn't make it so

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: douglas5
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Just after the smoking ban in the U.K which stopped people smoking in public places even your own work vehicle if you are the only occupant they were going to bring in a law to stop people smoking on high streets , i think the Australians have a law stopping people smoking x- metres near a government building .

Enjoy it while we can

I was also informed by my landlord, that while its legal to smoke in your own home, it becomes illegal if you have workmen in, for the duration of the work, because you will be smoking in their workplace. Not sure if it's true, not investigated it as it was irrelevant to me, as I'm a non-smoker anyway.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

That is your opinion and you are entitled to run your life in accordance with your opinion. I am entitled to my opinion and I am entitled to run my life in accordance with my opinion.

Are you now my Master?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: BMorris

yes it is true. In both our countries, when your home becomes a workplace, you are not allowed to smoke there.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Oh gawd, stupid control freak laws are stupid.

Thats all I have to say.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   

First, that smoking is detrimental to your health is a fact.

Second, stop with the "Are you my Master BS" it's dumb.

Third, if you want to have a conversation about smoking bans, do so, but drop the attitude. It does zero to help your cause. You do not come off as rational, therefor people will discount everything you say. Leave the emotion out.

I am not a fan of government telling me what to do, but smoking bans in restaurants and public places (including public parks), and apartments I'm perfectly fine with.

Any action that you take that has an effect on me should be up to regulation. Speeding? Yea get a ticket. Run a red light? Ticket. Shoot me? Go to jail. Smoke in my presence when I am trying to enjoy a meal, or a day at the park, you should be subject to a ticket. Smoke in your apartment and it bleeds through to mine, same thing.

I am subject to a fine if I don't pick up after my dog and get caught, usually via someone stepping in it.

You are getting all riled up about YOUR freedoms, what about mine to not have that crap in my system.

Oh what about fast food?! I can be sitting next to you eating it and it will not have an adverse effect to my health.

You smoking next to me hurts my health. End of story.

Here's the truth, smokers are a dieing breed, literally. If smokers were in the majority, if smoking was at all beneficial to health, we would not have these sorts of regulations.

Why can't a private business allow smoking? Because it's in the governments best interest for us to be alive and paying taxes. It's in my best interest that you stay alive to lighten my financial load. For me to be alive to lighten yours.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

1. Stop acting like my Master - stop trying to tell me how I must live my life

2. You have not been keeping track of the anti-obesity campaign. You eating a hamburger in public affects me. Social costs of obesity are making the dollars fly out of my wallet and you don't pay extra taxes to cover your fair share for the costs of treating obesity like high blood pressure, diabetes, heart problems (you know - all the diseases they attributed to smoking that they now attribute to poor diets). If you are fat, I subconciously think that I am thin enough and risk getting fatter just by associating with you (yes that is a honest to god research study). Then when I walk into a fast food joint, I am tempted by the smell of your hamburger and it causes me to fail to make good choices in my own diet. If you want to eat a hamburger, you should do so only at home and in such a way that the smell does not affect the neighbour. You are effecting his health and must be regulated.

3. YOU are not sitting next me when I am in my own home.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Hey - you have still not explained why my comparison of the treatment of smokers is not the same as the treatment of jews.

Did you read the link I posted earlier showing that pollution from smoking is non-dedectible with the most sensitive of instruments, beyond about 6 feet. Do you think that when I am smoking in my apartment, there might be more than 6 feet between my cigarette and your nose?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

If your will is so weak that you can't resist a hamburger, or have one in moderation then that sucks for you.

If I am in the unit next to you, and your smoke bleeds through my walls, it is now effecting me. There are noise regulations. If your stereo is too loud, you can be ticketed.

Do you think people should be able to drive whichever speed they choose down the road? Or ignore traffic signs? It's the same concept. These are things that are detrimental to my well being. You have the right to do whatever you choose until it starts to effect me, then we start to have a problem.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Im a non smoker and I see the general perspective here but If its that big of a deal, get rid of all your house cleaning products, all unhealthy foods, and move as far as possible from the pollution of the city because this is having just as a negative effect on your lungs as second hand cigarette smoke. Not to mention if chemtrails exist, who knows what negative toll that takes on the lungs. Just a perspective.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Well if you demand such perfection from your neighbours - lets be sure and regulate this properly!

Regulations must include - banning the use of all perfumed products and perfume. Banning the use of all candles. Banning the use of fireplaces and indoor grills where they exist. Banning the use of bbq's on balconies. Banning the use of air fresheners in all forms. Banning the use of cars in underground parking lots. Heck, lets ban the use of vehicles for trips under 5 km - and we can cur the obesity problem at the same time!

People have different pet peeves about their neighbours - lets take care of it all at once.

Your attitude to my right to run my home is bothering me - lets start with that!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks
Oh HOW BIG OF YOU - you let a smoker smoke a cigarette in your presence. Surely I must worship at your feet.

No, I you don't have to worship at my feet, stop acting like I am saying things I'm not.

At the time there wasn't any law forbidding people from smoking on the work place, but because of my health problem my boss told them not to smoke if they were working on the same place where I was.

And why didn't you just move away????

We were working together.

edit on 25/1/2015 by ArMaP because: replaced the wrong "I" with the correct "you".

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

OH - and no one can have any pets in a multi-unit building. People are allergic to pet dander and it affects their health. If smoke can come from my apartment to yours then so can pet dander!

You have to cook food but you don't need strong smelling food like curry to live - lets ban strong cooking odours as well
Tired of Control

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Still can't figure out how my comparison of smokers to jews is not apt - can you? Maybe because it is perfectly apt and what we are witnessing today with smokers is what exactly the germans witnessed with the jews. That is why when the Nazi's came for the jews - no one spoke up. And no one will speak for the smokers, or the obese, or the eaters or the perfume wearers or the pets.

And by the time they come for perfect little you - no one will be left to speak for you

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Poppcocked
Any parent that smokes around their child should be beaten and shot in the face.

I find it highly ironic that we are so "liberated" when it comes to marijuana, but we so hate tobacco.

I don't care what substance we are talking about smoking. Putting smoke into your lungs is NOT healthy for you.

I just find it hypocritical that people will talk about legalizing one form of smoked substance all while they steadily work on banning another.

Personally, what you do, you do. Just don't ask me to be responsible for your bad choices.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

YOU are the one who entered this debate with a story of what a sad little victim of smokers you were! YOU know the story is a lie or at least a gross exaggeration

You proved that when you were able to stay with your friend while she smoked.

Everyone wants the same thing - you all want to be friends and party with smoker - but you want to be able to demand that they cease to smoke while you do it!

Please - don't be our friend - we don't want to party with uptight frightened people - we want you to stay away and leave us in peace.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

And that is another very good point. People have been smoking skunky marijuana (which is illegal) in their apartments for decades.

Now all of a sudden, smoking a cigarette in your own home is a pressing "health" issue.

I am so very very very sick of these puritan control freaks.

Tired of Control Freaks

link   

a reply to: ArMaP

10 metre is 30 feet! There are 3 feet to every metre

Tired of Control Freaks

1 foot = 0.3048 metres
10 metres = 32.8 feet

link   

Your disregard for your fellow mans health bothers me.

Can you not accept that smoking around someone hurts them? That if I can smell your smoke in my unit it hurts my quality of life?

You not smoking hurts your quality of life? BS. Short term it makes life suck, I know, I've quit smoking. But long term you are way better.

Your candles do not hurt or help my quality of life. You using an indoor grill doesn't hurt or help me, providing you are using proper ventilation. You BBQ-ing does not hurt or help me, it just makes me hungry. You smoking, and it permeating through the walls into my living room hurts my quality of life. Now I take action to get that smell out.

Automobiles are necessary in most cases for the world to function. Smoking is not. That's where the trade off is.

Fact is if there wasn't so much money in tobacco it would be illegal.

No one is trying to stop you from doing what you want. What they are trying to do is stop you from getting in the way of your fellow man and his ability to do what they want. Your rights end where mine begin. That can be as simple as a stereo being to loud, or you puffing smoke through the wall.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

It is not for YOU to decide what is necessary in my life! It is my life afterall! Or have I lost the right to be in control of my own life - are YOU truly my master now?

That's what I think about smokers, that they don't have the right to decided about my life (specially about making it worse than it could be) either, saying that tobacco smoke is bad for people's health doesn't mean that we think that people should be forbidden from smoking in their homes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join