It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking Bans - Where will it end?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I am going to post a major news story that just appeared in a Canadian Newspaper in Ontario

Keep in mind that Ontario has the most draconian smoking ban - bar none

www.theglobeandmail.com...

The private home is one of the last places where Canadians can indiscriminately light up a cigarette without risking breaking the law. And a growing number of people would like that to change. Specifically, people who live in apartments, condominiums and other multiunit dwellings where one person’s cigarette smoke can easily invade another person’s home.

So now when exposure is down to nothing more than a molecular level, when it clearly can't be about health - are the control motives of anti-smokers now clear?

One helpful commenter even suggests that the children of smokers should be seized and put into a "safe orphanage" (and we have all seen how safe some orphanges are).

Is it time for non-smokers to stand up and help defend the rights of a hated minority? Or will you all fall under the hammer with us?

Tired of Control Freaks

(post by Poppcocked removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)
+47 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Poppcocked

How about parents who allow thier children to get fat? Or not get enough exercise? Or those who fail to get them vacinnated? Or refuse to put them on medication for hyperactivity because the teacher asked them ?

Should they also be shot in the face and beaten?

Or is this particular punishment reserved only for smokers?

Does this treatment apply to all parents who refuse to follow public health "advice"

Tired of Control Freaks

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
If you own your home, then no one should be able to dictate what you can or cannot do.

However, living in an apartment building, or being in a restaurant, or in a mall, I don't want to breath that stuff in. I don't want to smell it. I don't want any part of it. What you do to yourself, is your own business. But when what you do effects me and my health, then there's a problem.

+21 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

So when you burn candles and I can smell it (sorry but if smoke is escaping my apartment into yours than the smoke from candles is the same)?

Tired of Control Freaks

+10 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Is it time for non-smokers to stand up and help defend the rights of a hated minority?

No , as a former member of the hated minority I say it's the 21st century and there is no need to keep on smoking tobacco , Vape and be happy that your lungs love you again.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I quit smoking a year ago (yay, a year) so now I am tempted to stand with the anti-smokers and condemn, etc.

And really, people who smoke should consider at least swapping over to the e-cigs (where you can puff on those suckers in a movie theater now..bonuses)..

but yeah, your home is your own domain..should be allowed to smoke, drink, whatever without people moaning. If there are kids in the house, then yeah, use the patio, or make a smoking room with good ventilation, but otherwise...

Anyhow, look into the e-cigs.

+20 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

I am sorry - e-cigs are now being classed a tobacco product and are being banned in exactly the same way as cigarettes

Thanks for giving me the liberty and right to live exactly how you think I should live in my own home. I appreciate your kindness. Is there anything else I may do for you Master?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Just after the smoking ban in the U.K which stopped people smoking in public places even your own work vehicle if you are the only occupant they were going to bring in a law to stop people smoking on high streets , i think the Australians have a law stopping people smoking x- metres near a government building .

Enjoy it while we can

+28 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Bravo....

Let's not forget about the parents who let their kids play outside in the sun. The risk of skin cancer is extremely high after one sunburn. How many parents have let their child get sunburned at least once??

Riding bikes without helmets?
Eating to much sugar and not brushing well enough.... Cavities? Abuse...
Drinking soda and eating cupcakes? Early onset diabetes...

Get a grip folks. The pollution coming from your car is likely to kill your kid before the next door neighbor's cigarette smoke.

Holier than thou, everything is abuse, society...

ETA- That I am an ex smoker. Your house... Your rules.
edit on 1/25/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Once again, people try to legislate behaviors that they do not like.

Here are 3 articles, one from 2014, two from 2013

In the decades since the report, municipalities around the world have passed a series of sensible laws restricting where people could not smoke; bars, restaurants, offices and on airplanes. It was about this time that well-intentioned people got carried away and began to proclaim the myth that second-hand or passive smoke caused cancer. It didn't make sense. How could a few wisps of smoke not inhaled deeply cause lung cancer? On the program As It Happens, I put these and other questions to a researcher for the Environmental Protection Agency. After some heated back and forth, he admitted:"Sure it's crappy science, but look at the outcome--a smoke-free America."

www.cbc.ca...

The study found no statistically significant relationship between lung cancer and exposure to passive smoke, however. Only among women who had lived with a smoker for 30 years or more was there a relationship that the researchers described as “borderline statistical significance.”

www.forbes.com...

Between 1959 and 1989 two American researchers named James Enstrom and Geoffrey Kabat surveyed no few than 118,094 Californians. Fierce anti-smoking campaigners themselves, they began the research because they wanted to prove once and for all what a pernicious, socially damaging habit smoking was. Their research was initiated by the American Cancer Society and supported by the anti-smoking Tobacco Related Disease Research Program.
At least it was at first. But then something rather embarrassing happened. Much to their surprise, Kabat and Enstrom discovered that exposure to environmental tobacco smoke (ie passive smoking), no matter how intense or prolonged, creates no significantly increased risk of heart disease or lung cancer.

blogs.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks
a reply to: EternalSolace

So when you burn candles and I can smell it (sorry but if smoke is escaping my apartment into yours than the smoke from candles is the same)?

Tired of Control Freaks

Semantics and straw men do not an argument make. I could say that people cook, and I can smell it. Its only effect is to make me hungry. A person lights a candle, I can smell it, its only effect is to smell nice, or bad. Cigerette smoke has an adverse effect on one's health. That's more than just an annoyance.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Yes they are all equally as bad, but the topic is on smoking.

make threads on your other gripes and ill copy and paste my reply.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

Thanks for bringing up the non-health issues of second hand smoke but the fact that it is all a fraud manufactured and paid for by extreme activists has been a well known fact for over 10 years now.

In case you haven't got it yet - this isn't about health - its about control. With the smoking issue, public and the government have set a precedence that health concerns, even at the most minute level trumps all civil rights including the human rights code and the consitition.

The Framework Convention on Tobacco that was signed by Canada but not the United States specifically states that I may not speak to my representative about it.

I truthfully think that it is too late - and we are all under the thumb of public health now.

Tired of Control Freaks

+12 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Poppcocked

Yes Master - I will not examine how this precedent could ever effect or be used on the rest of the population. That is a huge no-no. No one must ever look behind the curtain.

Tired of Control Freaks

+17 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

You know its really really funny in a way. When I first heard about the holocaust, it never occurred to me to wonder at the evilness in men's souls that would cause them to commit such horrific acts.

What I always wondered is how did Hitler manage to make ordinary people hate the jews so badly that they would stand back and watch it happen.

Now I know the answer to that question.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks
So now when exposure is down to nothing more than a molecular level, when it clearly can't be about health - are the control motives of anti-smokers now clear?

It can be about health.

I have asthma and until 1.5 years ago I was very sensitive to tobacco smoke, a neighbour smoking 10 metres from my open window was enough for me to notice a reaction on my lungs.

If you want to kill yourself slowly, do it, but do not kill other people that didn't ask for it.

PS: not all people are affected in the same way. I had a neighbour that once went to the doctor and the doctor told her to stop smoking, but she didn't smoke, it was her husband that smoked, but his lungs were, apparently, less affected than hers.

+10 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

I am sorry dear but asthma rates have increased over 800 % in lock-step with the decrease of smoking in the population.

If you are so sensitive to particulate that cigarette smoke can effect you through a concrete wall then you are probably going to die anyway!

Tired of Control Freaks

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP
So since you are so sensitive to smoke - may I ask if you have taken the trouble to rent or buy a home in the thousands of apartment and condo buildings that are already smoke free

Or are you so sensitive that you require every apartment building and every condo in the entire city to be smoke free as well

Tired of Control freaks

+17 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I'm a smoker, no doubt about it. I also have no intentions of quitting anytime soon. I totally understand what you are saying.

It sucks to go out to dinner or bar with a group of people and being stuck outside a good portion of the time then pay a huge tab that you didn't really get to enjoy like you used to be able too.

I know just in my area of providence Rhode Island, numerous bars that ended up closing because smokers were their main patrons and they just got tired of it and tired of non smokers looking down their nose at them all the time. Quite frankly I find it rude myself.

If people were honest, most have a vice of some sort, how would you feel if all the sudden you weren't allowed to enjoy that vice anymore because it upsets other people.

Now I know the argument to that will be, but smoking crosses the line to my health. Yes, I agree it probably does. Not even probably, it does.

What I don't understand is whatever happened to compromise? Let their be smoking bars and resteraunts and let there be non smoking of the same. Let people decide for themselves where they wish to spend their time unmolested by other peoples opinions.

Smoking flights, non smoking flights,, same with all transportation, and frankly the same with most situations. They can be compromised easily.

I can see some places, hospitals, schools and such were compromise isn't really needed to be made, but my time to enjoy my life in my own way should have open avenues for me to be able to enjoy it in peace.

I could say I wish people chewing gum should be banned in public as most people chew gum like cows. Is it hurting my health? No, but it does drive me crazy, so you could say my mental stability is affected by it. Shouldn't that count as my health?

Compromise people, it really is pretty simple and it might actually put some people right back into business with those kind of options open.

Meanwhile, I'll just stay home and save my money and enjoy my peace and quiet and enjoy my cocktail with a nice smoke.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join