It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White Guilt...The Newest Form of Racism

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Shouldn't it be called "White Shame"? "White Guilt" sounds like you feel guilty of something your ancestors did.

Why would anyone feel guilt over that? Who exactly is trying to make us "white" people feel guilty? How exactly are they trying to make us "white" people feel guilty?

Are we going to play victim to ignorant nonsense? If one understands racism, where it derives from and how it works. Then one can intellectually denounce such ignorance. I'm ashamed of anyone who doesn't understand that...

This is one of the most pathetic threads ever... and it really does not surprise me with how many stars and flags it received. We live in a nation of ignorance.

My mind won't let me play victim... it's the way I'm hardwired I guess. If anyone tries to white shame me, lol... whatever the heck that is, I may or may not waste my energy, unless I'm in the talking mood. So in other words, shake your damn head and walk away, or speak from an "educated" mind.

Edit:
Why the heck was slavery brought up? I've got plenty of "black" friends and not once have we ever had a conversation of slavery. If we have, which is possible, I would have probably been the one to bring it up and it would definitely been on an intellectual level.
edit on 12/3/142014 by anicetus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I can imagine though that especially older non-white Americans (like native Americans, black Americans etc) still have very lively memories of discrimination and prejudice. You don't have to go back all the way to slavery to find some disgrace. Just a thought...

Can we expect them to just say it's all good and fine? Some are more likely to forgive than others, but you cannot demand forgiveness. In that sense it seems somewhat odd to me that the focus lies on slavery while for instance a 70+ year old non-white may have experienced all kinds of bad behaviour towards them, partially from people who still live today.

But it's ludicrous to account for what your parents or ancestors did. Then simply everyone would be in shame and guilt. I find it pointless as well to for instance ask a German child if she doesn't feel guilty about what almost happened to my (great-)grandparents. That's just silly and pointless!

The point being: shouldn't we also have some understanding for those who've lived the racial discrimination? There's a difference between knowing full well what happened to you or your parents and being a self-pitying victim.

In that sense, again, I don't quite understand the focus on slavery, especially in the USA.
edit on 3-12-2014 by Pitou because: better word

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
This came to mind...

The fact of the matter is a lot of black people like to blame all their hardships on white people. Being a thug is not a choice I made for you, it is a choice you make for yourself.

“Those damn racist white crackers have made my life a living hell! Hey joe, pass that crack pipe”.

edit on 3-12-2014 by Propulsion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: anicetus
Shouldn't it be called "White Shame"? "White Guilt" sounds like you feel guilty of something your ancestors did.

Why would anyone feel guilt over that? Who exactly is trying to make us "white" people feel guilty? How exactly are they trying to make us "white" people feel guilty?

Are we going to play victim to ignorant nonsense? If one understands racism, where it derives from and how it works. Then one can intellectually denounce such ignorance. I'm ashamed of anyone who doesn't understand that...

This is one of the most pathetic threads ever... and it really does not surprise me with how many stars and flags it received. We live in a nation of ignorance.

My mind won't let me play victim... it's the way I'm hardwired I guess. If anyone tries to white shame me, lol... whatever the heck that is, I may or may not waste my energy, unless I'm in the talking mood. So in other words, shake your damn head and walk away, or speak from an "educated" mind.

Edit:
Why the heck was slavery brought up? I've got plenty of "black" friends and not once have we ever had a conversation of slavery. If we have, which is possible, I would have probably been the one to bring it up and it would definitely been on an intellectual level.

You claim to be so educated...

Yet, you completely missed the point of the OP.

I wasn't talking about you personally. So, go ahead an act like you a superior.

It plays exactly into the point this thread is making.

When you fail to grasp a concept...Call everyone ignorant then walk away.

Sheesh

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: 3u40r15m

I was only talking about the price of slavery being paid for by the Civil War.
Jim Crow laws are a whole different issue that should be looked at.
But if we do that we would also have to revisit all the anti-immigrant laws on the books that limited the rights and economic possibilities of the Native Americans, Irish, Chinese, Mexicans, Japanese etc.
What blacks often fail to see is their common history with other minorities that received similar treatment at the hands of ruling whites.

In the end the only people to have benefitted from all this human misery were still the 1% of whites who today continue to disenfranchise everyone else in their scramble to be on top of the pile. The poor and middle class are where they are today by dint of their own hard work. The true white guilt belongs to those at the top, same as always.
edit on 3-12-2014 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
many people suffer Xenophobia. When I see things like diversity is a codeword for white genocide,it really shows the truth behind it all

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

No white guilt here. My family had nothing to do with slavery. We got here well after that. Ain't gonna happen.

Besides, I never apologize for having an opinion.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Well said!!! Let's forget all of this racial bull# and move forward together as one!!!

Peace my friend.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Salutations,
New here, rather first post from lurking. Came across this earlier from other delving. One of the least racist countries. The continent of Africa does have a couple of strikes.... Sorry for the bubble pop! www.dailymail.co.uk...
Hope the link works.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I unfortunately don’t trust a person who always worries about white guilt.

I never think of sane thinking non racist white people who decry racism from their ancestors as guilt.

I consider it a great moral proposition that has NOTHING to do with guilt.

What disproves this guilt premise is that there have been just as many great white people of immense moral justice as there have been wicked racist among them.

So what’s to be guilty about?
We’ve all got bad and good ancestors.

A white person can just as well look back on their good ancestors and feel pride that they are descendents of those people

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: DegreeofFre3
a reply to: tothetenthpower
Salutations,
New here, rather first post from lurking. Came across this earlier from other delving. One of the least racist countries. The continent of Africa does have a couple of strikes.... Sorry for the bubble pop! www.dailymail.co.uk...
Hope the link works.

It would seem the countries who are least vocal on the subject of racism,

are the most racist....

And those who keep screaming *racist" at every opportunity are the least. LOL!!

WELCOME to ATS
enjoy your stay!

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
#crimingwhilewhite hashtag on Twitter 300,000 tweets in 1 day.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

A person should be judged by their actions, not by the color of their skin. Hating someone simply because their skin color is darker or lighter than your own is simply ignorant.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: LittleGreenAlien

A person should be judged by their actions, not by the color of their skin. Hating someone simply because their skin color is darker or lighter than your own is simply ignorant.

Coming some someone that is Green.

I'll except that...

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: suz62

No white guilt here. My family had nothing to do with slavery. We got here well after that. Ain't gonna happen.

Besides, I never apologize for having an opinion.

I am totally an ally for minorities, and have worked in social justice.

Having said that, it did always piss me off when people said "your ancestors were slave owners." I'm like, my family was composed of poor Swedish farmers who came here around 1900. It's ignorant when people group ALL white people into one culture, one history, etc.

Just like it is considered ignorant if Africa is thought of as one single culture, one country, one history, etc.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Since I'm spanish decent, should I feel guilty for what my people did? I'm not

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: retiredTxn
a reply to: 3u40r15m

Both Al and Jesse need to move on, and then things may start moving in the right direction. I don't have a spokesman, and for damn sure not a KKK leader. My one and only leader is Jesus Christ. Don't think He would be accepted into the KKK.

Al and Jesse will not move on because they make quite a bit of money doing what they do. Not only do they not help the problem, they do everything they can to make it worse because that is where their pot of gold lies.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Most people don't understand that "white" countries were the first countries on earth to abolish slavery in codified law. This started somewhat in the medieval period with Kingly declarations in countries like Sweden or the Sachsenspiegel in Germany. But in the medieval period, nations, as they are today, hadn't yet formed, and the "countries" were more or less a very complex web of family and warlord alliances. England's abolition of slavery as a modern nation in 1706 is arguably the most significant.

Up until this point, the institution of slavery was prevalent and popular all over the world, and throughout history, regardless of race or culture. Arab, African, and Indian institutions of slavery basically start with the beginnings of their civilizations and only ended in the 20th century. Heck, the only countries left in the world that practice legalized slavery are in Africa. Near-slavery also still exist in law in some middle eastern countries as well as some central and south east Asian countries. I think it is important to point out that the countries that still practice slavery or near-slavery with codified law are nominally or predominantly Muslim countries, Niger being a notable secular exception.

It's also interesting that when European countries started to abolish slavery in codified law in the 1700s, within 100 years of doing so, they experienced an industrial revolution.

It makes one wonder what would have happened had the Romans abolished slavery under the rule of say Trajan or Marcus Aurelius. They had knowledge of steam power, but viewed it as a novelty: en.wikipedia.org... . HIstory might have turned out very differently indeed.

Is the media dividing the country? Absolutely. It race being used as a divisive tool? Absolutely. What's the end game? Who knows, but you'd have to be blind not to see it. Does race exist? Scientifically absolutely. Even at the cellular level, different races are slightly different. There's a reason why drug companies actually make drugs specific for blacks and native americans. Their cellular pathways, in some instances, are different enough from Caucasians and Asians for drugs not to work on them nearly as effectively. Bidil, a heart medication, is a good but often swept under the rug example. Does all of this mean people can't get along? No, we certainly can. It does however, mean recognizing not only our similarities, but also our differences and understanding them. I'd much rather work with people through understanding our differences rather than work with people through ignoring them.

If you've ever worked abroad, understanding cultural difference is key to being successful. I think the same can be said for racial difference too. Ignoring them always leads to confusion, problems, and ultimately dissatisfaction.
edit on 12-12-2014 by Galvatron because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Galvatron
Most people don't understand that "white" countries were the first countries on earth to abolish slavery in codified law. This started somewhat in the medieval period with Kingly declarations in countries like Sweden or the Sachsenspiegel in Germany. But in the medieval period, nations, as they are today, hadn't yet formed, and the "countries" were more or less a very complex web of family and warlord alliances. England's abolition of slavery as a modern nation in 1706 is arguably the most significant.

Up until this point, the institution of slavery was prevalent and popular all over the world, and throughout history, regardless of race or culture. Arab, African, and Indian institutions of slavery basically start with the beginnings of their civilizations and only ended in the 20th century. Heck, the only countries left in the world that practice legalized slavery are in Africa. Near-slavery also still exist in law in some middle eastern countries as well as some central and south east Asian countries. I think it is important to point out that the countries that still practice slavery or near-slavery with codified law are nominally or predominantly Muslim countries, Niger being a notable secular exception.

It's also interesting that when European countries started to abolish slavery in codified law in the 1700s, within 100 years of doing so, they experienced an industrial revolution.

It makes one wonder what would have happened had the Romans abolished slavery under the rule of say Trajan or Marcus Aurelius. They had knowledge of steam power, but viewed it as a novelty: en.wikipedia.org... . HIstory might have turned out very differently indeed.

Is the media dividing the country? Absolutely. It race being used as a divisive tool? Absolutely. What's the end game? Who knows, but you'd have to be blind not to see it. Does race exist? Scientifically absolutely. Even at the cellular level, different races are slightly different. There's a reason why drug companies actually make drugs specific for blacks and native americans. Their cellular pathways, in some instances, are different enough from Caucasians and Asians for drugs not to work on them nearly as effectively. Bidil, a heart medication, is a good but often swept under the rug example. Does all of this mean people can't get along? No, we certainly can. It does however, mean recognizing not only our similarities, but also our differences and understanding them. I'd much rather work with people through understanding our differences rather than work with people through ignoring them.

If you've ever worked abroad, understanding cultural difference is key to being successful. I think the same can be said for racial difference too. Ignoring them always leads to confusion, problems, and ultimately dissatisfaction.

So much ignorance, so little facts.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: spacedog1973

Bro....wiki link you know it's legit!

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join