It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White Guilt...The Newest Form of Racism

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+51 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
That's right...White Guilt is the newest form of racism.

Can I help what color I was born...Can You ?

It seems that I must pay for the sins of members of my family from 200 years ago.

My family did own eight slaves....Am I responsible for this outrage ?

People pretend hating white people is not racism...It is.

So let me ask, what is it these white haters want ?

What do we owe people of color ?

When will people realize they are doing the exact same thing as whites did.

Hating people for the color of their skin.

edit on 1-12-2014 by whyamIhere because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

Here's the thing though. If you don't talk about the privilege afforded to some, then you can't really discuss how others are being discriminated against?

Mind you, America is probably one of the more racist countries on the planet. And that's because of your media and political/socio-economic systems, not really the people.

But yeah, growing up I had tons of advantages as a white, relatively wealthy male.

Still do, if I compare that to the struggle of some I know, even in my own community, how have more education and have better work ethics than I do.

I always said that if you want to stop racism, you have to stop participating in it. But, we do also have to come to terms that there are groups who are whole hardheartedly disenfranchised from all sides.

And we blame for their own predicament. That's the sad part.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhereyou feel guilty for being white? I'm not sure I believe you, but I'll take your word for it.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

That's right...White Guilt is the newest form of racism.

I suppose "White Guilt, if you buy into that sort of thing, is the only counter to "White Supremacy" and "White Privilege", if you buy into that sort of thing.

+33 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
No white guilt here. I don't know what my family did over 200 years ago and I refuse to look into it.

I'd rather live in the here and now and judge people for THEIR actions, not something that was done generations ago.

I like personal responsability...

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

Here's the thing though. If you don't talk about the privilege afforded to some, then you can't really discuss how others are being discriminated against?

Mind you, America is probably one of the more racist countries on the planet. And that's because of your media and political/socio-economic systems, not really the people.

But yeah, growing up I had tons of advantages as a white, relatively wealthy male.

Still do, if I compare that to the struggle of some I know, even in my own community, how have more education and have better work ethics than I do.

I always said that if you want to stop racism, you have to stop participating in it. But, we do also have to come to terms that there are groups who are whole hardheartedly disenfranchised from all sides.

And we blame for their own predicament. That's the sad part.

~Tenth

True, whites had and still have many privileges in society.

But, to try and pretend that is my fault or yours is insane.

If the goal is equality...How is a new form of racism going to fix that ?

My point is...Swapping one form of racism for another gets us nowhere.

If people truly want equality...We must end all preconceived notions about race.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9
No white guilt here. I don't know what my family did over 200 years ago and I refuse to look into it.

I'd rather live in the here and now and judge people for THEIR actions, not something that was done generations ago.

I like personal responsability...

You can imagine how thrilled I was when I found out my family owned slaves.

I could of lived my whole life without knowing that little tidbit of information.

I am ashamed...But, it was 200 years ago.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
You have no white guilt and neither do I.
What I do have is empathy for a class of people who's ancestors were slaves of white people in this country while those very white people professed equality of all men and gloried in their own righteousness. Those hypocritical whites.

Everything else you say I think is true. But the thing is is that why continue to bring this up? And why call it NEW. This idea of some people of white ancestry to feel guilt is easily confused with some peoples ability to experience empathy for those the children of slaves who for over a hundred years after emancipation still were considered second class citizens to whites ONLY because of the color of their skin. Now, some find it convenient to consider them second class citizens not for the color of their skin, but because they demonstrate characteristics and attitudes which evolve from being children of people who have been held in this second class citizen status. Go figure.

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
No white guilt here. My family worked for what they have. As a matter of fact, I had great grades and no scholarships because we chose to pay for my education. As for many of the black kids in the class, they boasted about scholarships and grants, etc. Not to mention the illegals who barely spoke English but somehow managed to pass each class despite writing a slash mark in each answer column.

Yes, plenty of white guilt, plenty of white privilege. For someone who enjoys white privilege so much I'm paying off my own loans, I got an entry level position, I'm stuck with bills and I don't get free healthcare, gasoline, no free grades, no free passes.

People can stuff their white guilt, and they can close their mouths. I'm proud of being a human being and if my skin color is wrong it shows the arrogance and racism in others, not me.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
How about we just acknowledge that what happened in our past was just down right disgusting? Instead of just ignoring it and saying the past is the past. It happend and the values people had back then are still alive today.
We are just over 50 years of not having laws on the books that treated people as sub human so this 200 year mark is bunk.
I get the don't blame me for the sins of my father, but doesn't mean we can't be the bigger man and apologize for it.

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Problem is we've been apologizing for years and it isn't good enough. And it's as if exploitation is practiced exclusively by the white man. Earth: everybody's a slaver and everybody's enslaved.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I believe in historical awareness, to be able to understand things and put them into perspective, and also to understand why certain things are the way they are (regardless of whether that's fair or unfair). I don't believe in guilt or self-flagellation because of it; I don't even think you should treat a child any different because of the way its parents are! It seems difficult though, how especially the USA seems to be stuck in this semi-mindf##k situation where there IS a 'race situation/difference/inequality' which needs acknowledgement, attention and to be discussed, while at the same time this 'situation/difference/inequality' needs to be eradicated, where skin colour is just as (un)important as hair colour! Sure, you can be proud of being black or white or Asian or native American and so on, but I hope you get my point

Seems a paradoxic situation as explained above and somehow the USA (and many other countries) need to rise above it and find a new way to see and deal with the 'race thing'. There appears to be a partially 'anti-white' thing going on* and I leave whether that is justified in the middle, but I just hope that that's a 'natural backlash' eventually leading to a proper middle road.

*is my impression. take it with a grain of salt perhaps

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

That's why I haven't looked up my families past. I have no desire to be thrilled or upset.

I'm Irish, Welsh and Indian. I know that my family, generations ago, did good and bad deeds. I alo know bad deeds were done to them.

None of those past deeds changes ANYTHING in my future. I can complain about it, but is all moot at this point. All I can do is not judge on past deeds, live in the now and try my best at helping my fellow American, no matter their skin tone.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
How about we just acknowledge that what happened in our past was just down right disgusting? Instead of just ignoring it and saying the past is the past. It happend and the values people had back then are still alive today.
We are just over 50 years of not having laws on the books that treated people as sub human so this 200 year mark is bunk.
I get the don't blame me for the sins of my father, but doesn't mean we can't be the bigger man and apologize for it.

That's true...

We definitely should acknowledge the injustice of the past and apologize.

We should swear not to repeat it.

It just seems people want payback.

The poor people the went through it are gone.

We all have to move on now or we will never achieve equality.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

But we haven't, still to this day if you bring up the plight of a minority you are " race baiting" or "pulling the race card".
People act like the way to go is to just not talk about it and it will just go away, not the case.

link   
No white guilt here.

Poor white cracker from the mountains of the Carolinas...why would I feel any of that?

I don't see anybody giving me pity for the disenfranchisement that my people suffered and still do. I don't see anybody talking about the lousy educations or the poor sanitation or caring about the massive amounts of pollution that goes on from the industries up there.

The ignorance is astounding, and the poverty is extreme, but I don't see anybody wringing their hands over it, and I don't see anybody whining about how poor whites are usually treated pretty rough by cops, too.

I live many of the same things, but nobody stops to pay me any more attention than the man in the moon, so I don't feel one spec of white guilt for numerous reasons.

link   
"Mind you, America is probably one of the more racist countries on the planet. And that's because of your media and political/socio-economic systems, not really the people. "

I've been to quite a few foreign countries and have found that each of them are just as racist or are more racist than the US.

There is no simple answer that explains the current struggles of many minorities (except Native Americans; the US totally shafted them). If racism was the only factor then I would expect minorities that emigrated from Asia and suffered severe discrimination to have the same challenges.

Do you have any thoughts on why certain cultures have seemed to succeed within the American framework and some haven't?

link   

One question those who want reparations should be asking themselves:

Do they want equality or supremacy? Equality is often an invitation to supremacy.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
white guilt is based on the sins of your father, that you benefit from white supremacy. A simple example would be a house for sale. The white family can buy it and pass it down. The black family could buy it but they are denied and or not allowed in the neighborhood. The only options being the projects with similar peers. I see the new thing is whites crying reverse racism. You cry over burn stores but not lost lives. Whites are the ones that went around calling the natives savages while welcomed by said savages. You spread your word through blood and left the world in disarray. Im confused, white guilty is based around the actions and consequences consequences consequences consequences consequences consequences consequences a large scale. You may not have done anything but be assured your father or his father did, weather for or against

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

I believe reparations should be in the form, of business loans and school funding.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join