It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CDC mobilizing: Dallas Hospital confirms First Positive Ebola Case in the US

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   
What I can't understand is why he isn't being moved to a containment facility. The guy in charge of the CDC said "any hospital with a containment area is fully capable of controlling the spread of Ebola". I have to ask - how many tens (if not hundreds) of millions of dollars have we spent on the CDC to provide state of the art "critically needed" containment facilities, just to be told now that any hospital has the same capabilities.

Or did I hear him wrong in the briefing?
edit on 1-10-2014 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

Every hospital I have ever been to is equipped with negative pressure rooms for contagious patients. I don't see how it would matter if they are placed in quarantine at the CDC or any other medical facility. Disinfecting the patients travel route getting to that isolation room is what is most important.
edit on am012014102014Wednesday by adomol because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 02:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE
Strategically positioned amid a huge population & transportation hub in a huge state currently inundated with a torrent of illegal immigrants. Welcome "Captain Tripps". "Baby can you dig your man".--S.K.

He's a righteous maaan...

Yeah, The Stand has me WAY too paranoid about stuff like this, lol. It even sounds a bit like Captain Trips. The extreme super flu-esque symptoms and the bleeding out could be a bit like how people in the book turned all black and blue and puffed up like balloons as they drowned in their own fluids.

Something I definitely don't like is that they're so sure they have this contained. There's no telling how many places he was before they got him in at a hospital, how many people he's seen, and if any doctors will become infected especially those that may have examined him before it was known that he had ebola. I mean, if you think someone just has a common cold and you're a doctor, you're not going to go to the patient in full surgical scrubs, a mask on your face, and gloved hands. I know for a fact that most doctors don't even use gloves unless examining the mouth or where the sun don't shine.

I also don't like how there's no cure and possibly none in the works so survival is dictated by how strong your immune system is... It's just terrifying to say the least. That and the fact that I feel the CDC is only telling people what they want to hear at this point. The news articles I have read start out the same. The name of the article and then the first line being "Don't panic"

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: adomol

I fully understand that. I was just surprised that the head of the CDC would come out on national television and say "we've been wasting your money all along".

It was the CDC and the media that made a big deal out of the "only four" containment hospitals in the United States. As soon as a patient comes in off the streets it suddenly becomes "any hospital can handle it".

I am curious how many people caught that little gem in the briefing.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   
For the people insisting that every surface this man touched has infected other people;

SURVIVAL OUTSIDE HOST: Filoviruses have been reported capable to survive for weeks in blood and can also survive on contaminated surfaces, particularly at low temperatures (4°C) Footnote 52 Footnote 6

One study could not recover any Ebolavirus from experimentally contaminated surfaces (plastic, metal or glass) at room temperature Footnote 61. In another study, Ebolavirus dried onto glass, polymeric silicone rubber, or painted aluminum alloy is able to survive in the dark for several hours under ambient conditions (between 20 and 250C and 30–40% relative humidity) (amount of virus reduced to 37% after 15.4 hours), but is less stable than some other viral hemorrhagic fevers (Lassa) Footnote 53.

When dried in tissue culture media onto glass and stored at 4 °C, Zaire ebolavirus survived for over 50 days Footnote 61. This information is based on experimental findings only and not based on observations in nature. This information is intended to be used to support local risk assessments in a laboratory setting.

www.phac-aspc.gc.ca...

To summarise, only 2 studies have been done on this and they were based on OPTIMUM conditions for the virus in a laboratory setting. Outside the lab there will be other factors that will degrade the virus on surfaces, even in the lab setting it degrades after a number of hours. Outside where the temperature is different, or where surfaces were cleaned (like in a hospital), or where surfaces dried out quicker, there will be less chance of the virus surviving.

The virus survives longest in blood but hopefully the guy was not at this stage when he went to get help.

It's just not as cut and dried as everything this man touched automatically spreading the virus.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   
a reply to: new_here

He touched how many doors, waiting room chairs, pens for filling out paperwork?

It lives on surfaces for days. It resides in all bodily fluids once symptoms begin. Even sweat. Sweaty palms. Touching things. Giving it to the receptionist courtesy of his Insurance card. Then she passes it along to the next (how many?) patients as they lend her their Insurance cards.

I agree. People chew on pens
If he paid cash for anything I don't see how they'd track that.

His immediate family has a heads up but casual contacts wouldn't automatically think Ebola if they got sick.

They might think it's the flu/stay home but family members run errands, go to work/school. Their clothes/hands and money could be contaminated. Taking Ebola infected laundry to the laundromat would be like germ warfare. Garbage men/homeless types handling trash could be exposed.

Someone sick with Ebola wouldn't necessarily have to leave the house to spread it. This is crazy.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrHammondStoat
For the people insisting that every surface this man touched has infected other people;

SURVIVAL OUTSIDE HOST: Filoviruses have been reported capable to survive for weeks in blood and can also survive on contaminated surfaces, particularly at low temperatures (4°C) Footnote 52 Footnote 6

One study could not recover any Ebolavirus from experimentally contaminated surfaces (plastic, metal or glass) at room temperature Footnote 61. In another study, Ebolavirus dried onto glass, polymeric silicone rubber, or painted aluminum alloy is able to survive in the dark for several hours under ambient conditions (between 20 and 250C and 30–40% relative humidity) (amount of virus reduced to 37% after 15.4 hours), but is less stable than some other viral hemorrhagic fevers (Lassa) Footnote 53.

When dried in tissue culture media onto glass and stored at 4 °C, Zaire ebolavirus survived for over 50 days Footnote 61. This information is based on experimental findings only and not based on observations in nature. This information is intended to be used to support local risk assessments in a laboratory setting.

www.phac-aspc.gc.ca...

To summarise, only 2 studies have been done on this and they were based on OPTIMUM conditions for the virus in a laboratory setting. Outside the lab there will be other factors that will degrade the virus on surfaces, even in the lab setting it degrades after a number of hours. Outside where the temperature is different, or where surfaces were cleaned (like in a hospital), or where surfaces dried out quicker, there will be less chance of the virus surviving.

The virus survives longest in blood but hopefully the guy was not at this stage when he went to get help.

It's just not as cut and dried as everything this man touched automatically spreading the virus.

So we know it can survive in his refrigerator for 50 days

Anyone over who took food over 4 days?

What was he in Liberia for, drugs? sex trade why does anyone who is not a doctor actually go to Liberia? lets be real

If he was a sex addict or a user as is likely did he share a needle or a straw or even a pipe with anyone in that 4-5 days?

Did he have any partners state side?

What did he flush over those days? Blood in semen, tissue, snot? temperature of the water in his tank would be pretty cool, virus could survive for days... Rodents?

Did he use AC in his house, again if so are there rodents present? very easy combo for virus survival there.

Did he go "out" for food? were the locations air conditioned if so? almost all restaurants have rodents....

Did he have pets? If so cats? Indoor or outdoor? If so was his pet retained or is it loose catching....rodents?

Mosquito's, present? Can we be sure they aren't a vector? There has been some rain lately, a lot.

Do NOT look at Human to Human transmission by ordinary means as the way this would spread in Western society, animal exposure, drug use, artificially cooled locations, money transactions via cash and coins, buildings with rapid air transit systems, public transportation where a seat is passed or hand rail within seconds, shopping cart handles, anywhere his hands went from nose to object to another person within moments... banking, use of a public pen...

how about this one... flush handle on a public toilet always cold, 50 day survival rate at 37 degrees F

This is NOT Africa... don't be fooled this can spread like a fire in California during a drought

A dollar bill deposited into the drawer at a Bank can be passed on and go through the hands of 150 people each minutes apart in the course of a day in a major city and it lives for 50 days at 37 F (for the Americans that think 4c is cold...) and WINTERS coming..... there is no winter in Africa...

If this prick was indecisive in a 24 hr supermarket in the meat or milk section and handled 20 or so products in that time your all screwed....

edit on 1-10-2014 by criticalhit because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-10-2014 by criticalhit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:45 AM
link   
He was sent home with antibiotics. Sources say he did come in contact with others after send home from the Drs. visit. Would assume then if not contact with only family, but because he felt ill however still may have went to the store, may have been out in public during the symptomatic phase.
Meanwhile:

Video Source "Texas Hospital officials confirm that this Ebola patient will not be treated with ZMapp drugs as the supply has been exhausted."

edit on 1-10-2014 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:51 AM
link   
a reply to: criticalhit

So we know it can survive in his refrigerator for 50 days

Anyone over who took food over 4 days?

What was he in Liberia for, drugs? sex trade why does anyone who is not a doctor actually go to Liberia? lets be real

If he was a sex addict or a user as is likely did he share a needle or a straw or even a pipe with anyone in that 4-5 days?

Did he have any partners state side?

If this prick was indecisive in a 24 hr supermarket in the meat or milk section and handled 20 or so products in that time your all screwed....

Africa must be sex and drugs maybe monkey aids?!?.... well no he went to visit his family . Come on calm down what we have here is an isolate case with a low (has potential) liklihood of spreading look at the containment in senegal and nigeria at the moment .

Also I am and im sure others would be much happier if you refrained from name calling and deformation of character of a sick dying man and his family.

Get a grip.... the boogeyman under your bed is from the third world and hes coming to get you one needle riddle sex adddict at a time!

edit on 1-10-2014 by larapa because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-10-2014 by larapa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
He was sent home with antibiotics. Sources say he did come in contact with others after send home from the Drs. visit. Would assume then if not contact with only family, but because he felt ill however still may have went to the store, may have been out in public during the symptomatic phase.
Meanwhile:

Video Source "Texas Hospital officials confirm that this Ebola patient will not be treated with ZMapp drugs as the supply has been exhausted."

Maybe they will find some more ZMapp when it is a non African/Black person needing it.........Just saying this sounds kind of fishy. What are the odds they only made a couple doses?

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   
"Bring out your dead!"
"Bring out your dead!"
"Bring out your dead!"

Did he pump gas for there car?
Did he ride public transportation?
Did he use any handrails?
Did he use public toilets?
Did he open doors?
Did he touch counter tops at stores?
Shopping carts?
Did he sneeze or cough in a elevator?
Did he push a button on a elevator?
Did he use a ATM machine?
Did he use a Swipe terminal at Wal mart or any store??
Did he use a vending machine?
Did he sneeze into his hands then handle coins or paper money?
What of the chair he sat in at the ER?

Has anyone he came into contact and possibly infect do these things?

How many possible infected will run or try to hide? You think people will run to the hospital to be quarantined?

edit on 1-10-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Doctors without Borders has been jumping up and down screaming for help since December. There are many Threads and news stories documenting this.

Facts only help you if you actually look at them.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
"Bring out your dead!"
"Bring out your dead!"
"Bring out your dead!"

Did he pump gas for there car?
Did he ride public transportation?
Did he use any handrails?
Did he use public toilets?
Did he open doors?
Did he touch counter tops at stores?
Shopping carts?
Did he sneeze or cough in a elevator?
Did he push a button on a elevator?
Did he use a ATM machine?
Did he use a Swipe terminal at Wal mart or any store??
Did he use a vending machine?
Did he sneeze into his hands then handle coins or paper money?
What of the chair he sat in at the ER?

Has anyone he came into contact and possibly infect do these things?

How many possible infected will run or try to hide? You think people will run to the hospital to be quarantined?

Also:
Did he go to the post office?
Did he lick an envelope and put it in the postal system?
What stores did he go to? Coughing in line, perhaps?
Did he send money to his fam. via an int'l money transfer agency?
What about all the used soda bottles, junk-food wrappers tossed in the garbage? If the bottles have deposits, did some homeless person fish them out?
edit on 1/10/2014 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 05:00 AM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

Please forgive my doom mongering, but this could result in the end of our civilization.

I'm sure they will have Zmapp for the elite to go along with there underground bunkers.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 05:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

originally posted by: thesmokingman

originally posted by: Boeing777

a reply to: antar

And how many of those children came into direct physical contact with their class mates and during break time playing sports, sweating and again coming into physical contact with others and they come home infecting more friends and family.

How is this going to be traced and stopped before it's too late?

We must also remember that apparently you are not contagious unless you are exhibiting symptoms.

Just in time for flu season which had similar symptoms of fever body aches etc

How many people will try to fight this thinking it's like the flu and not seeking proper treatment exposing others

What really worries me is that now we're going into the flu season the hospitals will be inundated with people who THINK they have the Ebola virus because they have a cough or sneezing. What happens when the hospital is jammed with these people and the real Ebola carriers get overlooked?

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 05:19 AM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

Maybe they will find some more ZMapp when it is a non African/Black person needing it.........Just saying this sounds kind of fishy. What are the odds they only made a couple doses?

ZMapp takes quite some time to synthesize and involves harvesting antibodies from genetically engineered tobacco plants. The plants growth cycles are in the range of months, and all this is still in experimental stage, so it doesn't seem too hard believe that ZMapp is in short supply right now.

There are virtually no remaining supplies of the drug, called ZMapp, that was used to treat the two Americans, United States officials say. And even a few months from now, according to various estimates, there may be no more than a few hundred doses.

I found this interesting article from the NY Times about ZMapp and who it is being made available to.

www.nytimes.com... bola-outbreak-who-should-get-experimental-drug.html

The white americans who were given the drug were basically guinea pigs. Can you imagine if it was tested on the west africans and it went wrong? The media would have made it look like an evil medical experiment conducted on poor black people who had no choice.
edit on am012014102014Wednesday by adomol because: insert reply code

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: 200Plus
a reply to: LeviWardrobe

That coupled with the fact that he was turned away from the hospital the first time he went in. How many others will be misdiagnosed in the future?
Not to mention that while he was in the hospital seeking treatment he probably was not the only patient waiting to be seen. How many people would have been in line waiting for treatment, how many men women and children were possibly exposed? How many would have been coughed on or used the facilities after him? What happened to the great system we have in place to stop this as they always stated was the case and that it would never spread here? Take a look at the number of flights that fly across the Americas every day. Scary times are here.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I saw the myth busters episode being mentioned on the 1st page of this thread. For any business people like myself out there who have to shake hands with 10's of people every week, this is a worrying thought that Ebloa has left it's quarantine in West Africa. Embedded is a short from the episode, just food for thought if Ebloa does continue to spread.

Brief: The video demonstrates how easily a simple cold like infection can spread throughout the environment. Of course this is test conditions but the end is still quite shocking.
edit on 1-10-2014 by MongusePro because: Video brief explanation

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: DrHammondStoat

Lets hope he did not buy a nice cold drink from a fridge on his travels then.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Right, wrong, or indifferent-this is how I feel about the Ebola transmission:

I know we are being TOLD it is NOT airborne. Got that. What concerns me is how Drs are coming down with it. Its not a like a doc out in Africa is gonna say screw it, let's forget about all the protective gear - I want Ebola.

They are coming down with this *snip* regardless of protective gear. In my mind - it sounds airborne.

I think the CDC doesn't want to panic people. (Embargo on story) They're to whitewash this as much as possible at this point in time.

What's more dangerous?

A. Ebola
B. Panic
C. Ebola & panic????

Essentially, I think we're going to have a lot more issues with this "plague" in the short future. Its just a matter if time before it pops up in every country.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join