It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CDC mobilizing: Dallas Hospital confirms First Positive Ebola Case in the US

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: LeviWardrobe
a reply to: namehere

It doesn't take much. Some guy bites his nails, wipes his eye, picks his nose, sneezes, coughs. Hell, even sweat can supposedly carry infection. It's not like you have to suck a person's face to get Ebola off them. This guy touched the wrong thing, and it got in a scrape, cut, sore or his mouth/eyes. Mythbusters does a great episode where they use this liquid that glows under UV light as snot. They give themselves a runny nose, and deal with it as they normally would. Under black light afterwards, their hands and face were glowing side to side with this stuff.

Even if the guy was super clean, washing his hands and avoiding his face, everything on him like his phone and wallet would be compromised if he touched them before washing his hands. And who washes their phone or wallet? Nobody.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that it is not hard to spread # in the slightest.

The guy was tested for fever before getting on the airplane.

The virus is not contagious until symptoms are present. Early symptoms of Ebola include sudden fever, fatigue, and headache. Symptoms may appear anywhere from two to 21 days after exposure.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Olivine

That is the trillion dollar question.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
It will be interesting once Patient zero is a public domain, all of the incredible researchers out there will have a field day discovering who he is and if this is terror related or even a purposeful conspiracy against the US. It did not surprise me to hear that he is not from America.

The who, what, why and where is going to be telling.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Such massive overreaction.. typical. Of course it was going to get into the U.S. - most countries will probably see a few cases of it. I swear this place exists simply to jump for joy when something dangerous happens, so they can fret about how we are all going to die.

Now we get to see if their promise about containment is true. I think it is - because it's been contained before, and in countries with lesser medical and tracking systems in place. The repeated comments about infecting others when it's impossible are very irritating. After all the endless threads just here alone, please EDUCATE yourself. No.. this patient wiping a booger on a stairwell banister doesn't mean the U.S. is doomed. He wasn't symptomatic while in the airport. Ergo, he wasn't able to infect others. He didn't show symptoms until several days after returning to the U.S. He was checked for fever before boarding.

It's terribly unfortunate for this individual, but a good opportunity for the U.S. to test procedure and protocol. It was almost guaranteed someone here would test positive. Why the "omg we are all dooomed!!" mentality? Wise up folks.. it's not the endtimes, holy crap.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Wow thats bad news, ive been waiting for it to hit the US i just wasnt really sure if it was gonna or not. Some part of me believes its being used as some sort of population control but if so i didnt think it would hit the US, so maybe its just a freak accident. Or maybe were all screwed.. Either way the worlds going to # n people need to be very aware.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: fleabit
Such massive overreaction.. typical. Of course it was going to get into the U.S. - most countries will probably see a few cases of it. I swear this place exists simply to jump for joy when something dangerous happens, so they can fret about how we are all going to die.

Now we get to see if their promise about containment is true. I think it is - because it's been contained before, and in countries with lesser medical and tracking systems in place. The repeated comments about infecting others when it's impossible are very irritating. After all the endless threads just here alone, please EDUCATE yourself. No.. this patient wiping a booger on a stairwell banister doesn't mean the U.S. is doomed. He wasn't symptomatic while in the airport. Ergo, he wasn't able to infect others. He didn't show symptoms until several days after returning to the U.S. He was checked for fever before boarding.

It's terribly unfortunate for this individual, but a good opportunity for the U.S. to test procedure and protocol. It was almost guaranteed someone here would test positive. Why the "omg we are all dooomed!!" mentality? Wise up folks.. it's not the endtimes, holy crap.

It was stated that he was outside of quarantine with symptoms for at least 2 days. They speculate at least 1 or 2 people he contacted will come down with it. This was on Fox earlier.

I think it's worthy of concern.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee
I know. It isn't on the plane that I'm worried about. It's the several uninterrupted days among the general public while showing symptoms that concerns me.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: LeviWardrobe

That coupled with the fact that he was turned away from the hospital the first time he went in. How many others will be misdiagnosed in the future?
edit on 30-9-2014 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
hope this guy didnt go to the fair. it did just start. maybe they will start serving deep fried Ebola

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: paxnatus

My cousin in Dallas is way too complacent but i am pushing her for details. when I hear something I will let ya'll know!

I live a few miles north of Dallas.

Not many friends I've talked to today since the news of this broke are too worried. There's a good amount of conversation going on on facebook between my friends that live here, but other than that, it's business as usual.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

I know how ebola infects, is not airborne he is not a danger as long as he is quarantine and the people he was around with when he started to get symptoms are taken into quarantine.

What is bothers me is how easily people comes from infected areas and travel to the US and the government that is suppose to monitor these people are losing "track" of them, intentionally? The government tells Americans of the dangers of travelling to infected countries, but I don't see what the procedures for people coming from infected countries are when they travel to the US.

It has never been a case of ebola transmitted in the US, the last time it was a scare like this was in NY, a man with Marburg virus traveled to NY but none of the people in the airplane were infected.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: LeviWardrobe
I know. It isn't on the plane that I'm worried about. It's the several uninterrupted days among the general public while showing symptoms that concerns me.

Worst part when he was in the Dr office and they had him in the waiting room, he was hospitalized ...what was it 3 days later.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

I think it's worthy of concern.

Agreed, but many of the reactions are beyond concern. Once symptomatic, how many folks would he come in contact with? Someone has a flu.. sweating.. coughing.. looks awful.. do you stay away? Most would. He may have in contact with a small # of folks.. but they'll have them pinned down.. and those THEY were in contact with pinned down in a hurry. I'm sure it's already done. All those folks are watched for 21 days.. done deal.

The only real scary bit in my mind is if someone panics and runs.. comes in contact with others, and they don't know who to track. That's when it could get messy. So I agree.. concern is needed. I'm concerned. Just not "omg the pestilence is upon us!" level of concern.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: thesmokingman

It never ceases to amaze me, the wanton stupidity or deliberate negligence of governments. Once ebola started turning into an epidemic in Africa, the airports should have been shut down, except to foreign aid and military. This first "case" appearing in north america has the appearance of being staged or at least intended.

Time to put up the 8000v/2000joule electrified fence at the new place, might as well have cooked "zombies" ;-) I guess the culling begins....

Cheers - Dave

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Worst part when he was in the Dr office and they had him in the waiting room, he was hospitalized …what was it 3 days later.

I just got this from a news channel. I have a TV that I turned on so o no link.

They let him off the plane, he came down with symptoms four days later. He waits two days with symptoms before going to the hospital. They turn him away. He awaits two more days, this time is transported by ambulance to emergency where they initially diagnose him with Ebola and isolate him. A sample was sent to the CDC and it returned positive this morning.

Thats 4 days wandering infected and 4 more days with symptoms, plus two visits to the hospital while symptomatic.

edit on 30-9-2014 by intrptr because: clarity

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Thanks for all the updates ATS! I found it highly disturbing that the CDC also attempted to place an embargo on this story so that it could not be reported until this afternoon.

Several news organizations broke the embargo and reported. Clearly there is a problem already with how this case was investigated. Travel to or from Liberia, symptoms and sent home? We are not ready. Not by a long shot.

From early AP reports...

The hospital had announced a day earlier that the patient's symptoms and recent travel indicated a case of Ebola.

The CDC initially embargoed the announcement of the diagnosis until 4:30 p.m. CDT, but then lifted the embargo after several news organizations broke that restriction.

To continue to coverup this patient's whereabouts while symptomatic spreads hysteria and even worse...could aid in the spread of Ebola. There needs to be some serious surface sanitizing of everything they came in contact with going on. Why are they hiding this information?

Keep up the good work ATS!

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE
Strategically positioned amid a huge population & transportation hub in a huge state currently inundated with a torrent of illegal immigrants. Welcome "Captain Tripps". "Baby can you dig your man".--S.K.

The reference is prophetic. Considering the predictions that Ebola could hit 1.4 million cases by January, how long would it be until it approaches the scenario in The Stand, if drastic measures are not taken to stop this?

Remember how it started in the book? One man escaped from the army facility with his family, trying to protect them, and ended up almost wiping out the human race. What if the man in Dallas left Liberia to try to escape the epidemic, and instead carried it with him? How many others are going to try to escape. It is almost certain to become common. I see others on here already planning an escape with their family if things get bad in their area. More and more of those watching the horrors in Africa are going to start fleeing, and who can blame them? They are frightened. Unfortunately, this can only lead to disaster for other countries.

It may seem cruel or inhuman or impractical to block routes out of infected countries, but something needs to be done soon to stop the spread. Or Captain Trips is going to become reality.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Heartisblack

You put one foot in front of the other & keep your head up. Go on with life & try to laugh as much as you can. There's not much else to.

Expect the worst yet hope for the best.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

done deal.

Not so fast. Everything he touched has Ebola on it. If he is feverish he wipes his brow and opens the door to the bathroom, touches the toilet lid, the flush handle, the toilet paper, the inside door handle, the sink, the soap the paper towels…

If the is having diarrhea or vomting… then he touches things even more. And thats just the hospital bathroom during the first visit. The one he was turned away after.

Ebola can live outside the body for a while even in dried sweat.

Highly infectious means it doesn't take but one to ten particles to contract it (potentially).

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join