It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CDC mobilizing: Dallas Hospital confirms First Positive Ebola Case in the US

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   
He looks to be in early stages on the virus so I'm not overly worried. But he should be locked down and asked to trace all his steps from when he landed in the US.

If he's come back from Africa that means he's most likely traveled by plane so the the hub airports he's been in need to be cleaned just in case. But it's most likely too late, I'm betting we'll see other nation pick it up now from people who haven't travel to Africa. This means we're now in even more trouble. Be for we could track to some degree if it travel cause most if not all infected came from Africa. Now that he's passed though an airport or two, not sure how many stops he had, it can't be tracked. We've lost what little containment we had.

As I said I'm pinning some hope that he's in the early stages of the virus. Which means it dose not transmit as early but still can. If he is in the later stages, I don't have to tell anyone here how bad that can be, we've all seen it already in the news and from the CDC warnings.

We'll know if we have a problem if we start seeing other cases pop up in 23 days. At the earliest we might see new cases in under 4 days but not likely. If we don't see any new cases come up from people who didn't travel to Africa with in a 23 days span starting from today I'll say we dodged a bullet.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth

originally posted by: dreamingawake
He was sent home with antibiotics. Sources say he did come in contact with others after send home from the Drs. visit. Would assume then if not contact with only family, but because he felt ill however still may have went to the store, may have been out in public during the symptomatic phase.
Meanwhile:

Video Source "Texas Hospital officials confirm that this Ebola patient will not be treated with ZMapp drugs as the supply has been exhausted."

Maybe they will find some more ZMapp when it is a non African/Black person needing it.........Just saying this sounds kind of fishy. What are the odds they only made a couple doses?

It means there were way more than two people that had it.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   
a reply to: DrHammondStoat

Heres an image of the ambulance that was used to transport the Ebola victim to the hospital. It is parked, has been disinfected, but remains quarantined (note the surrounding barrier).

I just heard on a news report this am that it was used for two more days to transport other patients to the hospital before being sequestered. The announcement also stated that the EMTs used "proper procedure" to prevent any spread of the disease.

Both the EMTs are currently in Quarantine.

That ambulance being parked there is indicative of the effect Ebola has on institutions and equipment. Like radioactivity, contaminated objects have this stigma and become useless for who knows how long?

Imagine the other EMT's…

"Wheres the other transport?"

"It had Ebola in it. I ain't riding in that thang."

A single case of Ebola comes to America and straightaway removes a transport and two EMTs from the cities defenses.

edit on 1-10-2014 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   

A pandemic (from Greek πᾶν pan "all" and δῆμος demos "people") is an epidemic of infectious disease that has spread through human populations across a large region; for instance multiple continents, or even worldwide.

At what point does this mutate (sorry) from the 2014 Ebola Epidemic, into the 2014 Ebola Pandemic? If the United States, arguably the most advanced superpower in the world, has its first known patient zero, how many other countries (lesser powers) are dealing with the exact same thing except with tighter media control? Can it possibly be that we are the only ones to let an ebola carrier slip through the cracks and land on home soil?

I kind of find that hard to believe. I think if anything, the situation in Dallas shows us that the Pandemic is indeed upon us.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: adomol

I was thinking why the USA first?
One possibility is he suspected he might have it and traveled to the USA for better care.

edit on 1-10-2014 by joho99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
does anyone know, or have a link to, the latest numbers of cases/deaths? (checked CDC website already) I can't find anything over the magic 3,091 number for deaths since September 23rd.. It's been a few days since then and I'm sure the numbers have gone up significantly but I am not seeing anything reported in the news.

have the numbers risen so dramatically that they are no longer being reported?

link   
This quote from a 26 September WHO article discussing the situation in the hardest hit West African countries is rough.

Major questions need to be answered about the safety and efficacy of convalescent therapies, and the feasibility of implementation in countries with shattered health systems and an acute shortage of medical staff.

WHO is also being asked to assess whether rapid scaling up of convalescent therapy is feasible to an extent that could begin to reduce the estimated 70.8% case fatality rate seen consistently across the three outbreak sites.

What the heck is the alternative to a massive scaled-up response?
Pull up stakes and leave? Are they seriously considering not ramping up the international help?

What makes us civilized is caring for others in need. Leaving Liberia, Guinea, and Sierra Leone is not an option.
Leaving the overwhelmed medical staffs there, and hoping this strain "runs its course" is not an option.

The world needs a massive, international effort to stop this outbreak, before it truly hits the pandemic threshold.

edit on 10/1/2014 by Olivine because: I can't make a complete sentence on the 1st try...usually not the 2nd either

a reply to: Gwampo
The WHO article I linked says:

To date, the virus has infected 6242 people and killed 2909 of them. These figures, which are far greater than those from all previous Ebola outbreaks combined, are known by WHO to vastly underestimate the true scale of the epidemic.

But it is 5 days old....
edit on 10/1/2014 by Olivine because: add a reference

link   

originally posted by: joho99
a reply to: adomol

I was thinking why the USA first?
One possibility is he suspected he might have it and traveled to the USA for better care.

He came to visit family.

I wonder where he picked it up from, and are there more people traveling from there that are carrying it. Some may not seek medical treatment thinking it's something else. There are going to be cracks in the system.

I see on the news this morning officials are confident they can contain it to 1 or 2 people the guy came in contact with. I hope so, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a different outcome.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: DrHammondStoat

Heres an image of the ambulance that was used to transport the Ebola victim to the hospital. It is parked, has been disinfected, but remains quarantined (note the surrounding barrier).

I just heard on a news report this am that it was used for two more days to transport other patients to the hospital before being sequestered. The announcement also stated that the EMTs used "proper procedure" to prevent any spread of the disease.

Both the EMTs are currently in Quarantine.

That ambulance being parked there is indicative of the effect Ebola has on institutions and equipment. Like radioactivity, contaminated objects have this stigma and become useless for who knows how long?

Imagine the other EMT's…

"Wheres the other transport?"

"It had Ebola in it. I ain't riding in that thang."

A single case of Ebola comes to America and straightaway removes a transport and two EMTs from the cities defenses.

The EMTs who transported him to Texas Health Presby are in 'reverse isolation'. That means they are to stay in their homes for 21 days. They're not actually being quarantined in a hospital or other facility.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: texasgirl

The EMTs who transported him to Texas Health Presby are in 'reverse isolation'. That means they are to stay in their homes for 21 days. They're not actually being quarantined in a hospital or other facility.

Well, thats a relief. Are they alone? And have you a link?

The ambulance is alone, too. They say its been disinfected but look at the dash in the image I brought. That doesn't look "cleaned". That looks abandoned in place.

ETA: Does it say anywhere they sent them home?

"We have quarantined both them and the unit itself to make sure that nothing was there that can be spread and we're going about our protocol about how to do that," said the mayor. "We've created an emergency center at Dallas City Hall that are going through those procedures right now. So we're taking all precautions to make sure everybody's safe."

Link

edit on 1-10-2014 by intrptr because: additional

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Well, thats a relief. Are they alone? And have you a link?

The ambulance is alone, too. They say its been disinfected but look at the dash in the image I brought. That doesn't look "cleaned". That looks abandoned in place.

I live in Dallas so it's non-stop reporting. I saw it on the local news but I will look for a link and post it if I find it.

I know. Being house bound for 21 days is not easy! They could easily leave and go to a store or something.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   

I live in Dallas so it's non-stop reporting. I saw it on the local news but I will look for a link and post it if I find it.

Good girl. You are on the front lines there, any links to local news reports in your area are welcome.

Local news can have different info than the national stuff. Read that more info…

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Possible second case?
www.freerepublic.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Good girl. You are on the front lines there, any links to local news reports in your area are welcome.

Local news can have different info than the national stuff. Read that more info…

www.myfoxtwincities.com...

It says that 3 EMTs from Dallas Fire Station 37 are in 'reverse isolation'. They are to stay home for 21 days.
edit on 1-10-2014 by texasgirl because: Added more

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
More on the second case:
www.travelandtourworld.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: RifRAAF
Possible second case?

www.freerepublic.com...

Seriously? I really hope not!!

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: RifRAAF

That article on travelandtourworld was posted on Aug 6 2014.
edit on am012014102014Wednesday by adomol because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   

More on the second case:

Thats an older link to the two doctors that were cured. The date is August 6…

A link to the radio station that you said reported second case in Dallas…

link

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

More on the second case:

No, I think they're talking about someone else. That article was in August.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   
my bad

I'll be over here in the corner now.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join