It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus, Republicans and NRA Banned on School Websites

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

“I became curious as to why one side was blocked and the other side was not,” he said.
Andrew decided to set aside his debate preparation and started researching other conservative websites. He soon discovered that he had unfettered access to liberal websites, but conservative websites were blocked.

For example, the Connecticut Republican Party website was blocked. The Connecticut Democratic Party website was not blocked. National Right to Life was blocked, but Planned Parenthood was not blocked. Connecticut Family, a pro-traditional marriage group, was blocked, but LGBT Nation was not blocked.

Andrew found that even Pope Francis was blocked from the school’s web service. But although he could not access the Vatican website, the school allowed him to access an Islamic website.

This is more evidence of a disgusting liberal bias in our schools. As much as I want to be a middle of the road Libertarian things like this make me feel like I have to defend conservatives and Christians. There is a huge vacuum sucking to the left and I feel like I am being forced to the right to maintain balance. Why can't we just have fairness so that ALL political views are shared and valued?

It really isn't that 'scary' to be exposed to religions and politics that you may not be part of or agree with...in fact it is necessary for all points of view to be available and respected for a society to work. Why do we see more and more an education system with a far left bias? It has been prevalent at the college level for years and now it appears that high schools are indoctrinating our children as well. Add in 'common core' with the censorship and we are left with nothing, but good little citizens of the state.

“This is really border line indoctrination,” Andrew told me. “Schools are supposed to be fair and balanced towards all ways of thinking. It’s supposed to encourage students to formulate their own opinions. Students aren’t able to do that here at the school because they are only being fed one side of the issue.”

I don't want my children to go to school to learn only one way to think. I want them to go to school to learn to think and then come to a logical conclusion using all the facts. I am deeply troubled that we as a society are being brainwashed into as certain school of thought that will support a progressive-statist agendas. We NEED balance.

Source

+16 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
This is more evidence of a disgusting liberal bias in our schools.

Or in the software they're using. Did you read the entire article? The school isn't going in and blocking individual websites. They bought software that does it for them and it's being investigated. Leave it to FOX to make a story out of nothing.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   

I don't want my children to go to school to learn only one way to think. I want them to go to school to learn to think and then come to a logical conclusion using all the facts.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

You've already set an unrealistic expectation, right there. If there's a public primary or secondary school out there anywhere that does that, it's news to most of us. Schools teach to the standardized test. Virtually all the instruction time is devoted to covering the required assessment tests because that's what the funding is based upon. Gee all about the $$. Go figure.

If you have any expectation at all of your kids being taught how to think by a school, you might as well pack up right now.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

+11 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
It's not a 'story out of nothing'. The software filter that the school used is obviously skewed. The school said they'd correct the situation and they didn't. Obviously there is an issue here with what the software filter company has done and with the slow response (no action taken) from the school.

I'm sure that if it were liberal sites filtered out, then it would be more of a big deal (as it should be) for the left wing. Imagine if the filter kept high school girls from planned parenthood or if it kept students from the National Democratic Party or if it kept them from LGBT 'Safe Place' information ... the left would be holler'n bloody murder. (and with good reason)

No matter if the software filtered out conservative sites or liberal sites ... it's skewed. It's an issue.

SM2
+6 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

No, the school CLAIMS it is Dell Sonicwall software that is doing it. Later on in the article, if you read the whole thing, they said they do unblock some sites. So, they have the ability to block or unblock. It is reasonable to think that they may have intentionally blocked those sites on their own and now they have been caught and they deflect blame to someone else. That is not outside the realm of possibilities, and with the way the left wing nut cases out there act, especially the schools, it is more reasonable to think they did it then not.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I don't want my children to go to school to learn only one way to think. I want them to go to school to learn to think and then come to a logical conclusion using all the facts. I am deeply troubled that we as a society are being brainwashed into as certain school of thought that will support a progressive-statist agendas. We NEED balance.

Then you are sending your kids to the wrong place. Public schools no longer teach critical thinking. Just memorize these "facts" then regurgitate them on the test. Advance to next year at the end of school year regardless of performance. Rinse and repeat 12 times. All aboard the escalator to mediocrity.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Jesus, Republicans and NRA

Well, it could have been:

Free Handouts, Democrats and Obamacare

Either way, indoctrination attempts come from all sides, so complaining about 1 ideology makes little sense.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Having escaped CT a few years ago under the cover of night I'll tell you it's like the North Korea of New England.

Propaganda everywhere from the schools to the private sector businesses and if they learn you intend to leave they put up bureaucratic fences and once you get past those they release the dogs to follow you across state lines and pull you back.

I often joke about CA falling into the ocean but when CT is concerned the state really needs obliteration. Complete and thorough obliteration.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   

It is pretty shocking and obviously biased. And my guess is it will only get worse. The "Progressives", which are really near Fascist Statists own, operate and control near every form of media outlet and they are in firm control of the K-12 Education system and of course, they're in control of the Universities and Colleges. And they've honed their advocacy skills to the point they can mount a serious, even legalistic rational for this type censorship. So, for example, they can justify blocking anything relative to Pope Francis on the grounds they must preserve the separation of church and state. They can block access to conservative or Republican websites on the grounds that those groups are racist and/or homophobic and thus certain groups of students might be offended by those web sites.

And...........this type indoctrination is working. Proof of that is the recent argument put up by a College student for not allowing a known conservative speaker to come to campus to share his views. Her argument was that while Colleges should be places for examining many different views, some viewpoints are so wrong they don't deserve consideration and conversation because to do so is to imbue some degree of legitimacy to obviously erroneous thinking.

In all honesty, I don't see any turning the tide on this and they've managed, for all practical purposes, in cutting off all debate. "Global Climate Change" is said to be settled science; no more debate needed or permitted. And this type thinking is beginning to take its toll on property rights. A silicone valley executive lost his job because of his campaign contributions to an organization supporting a California proposition against Gay marriage.........10 years ago. The owner of a football team is losing the naming rights to that team and lucrative, patented, sportswear because the "controllers" have decided the name of the team is racist.

With the dominance of Facebook, particularly on College campuses, I only expect this will get worse as those who entertain unpopular views and/or political affiliations will find themselves shunned, both socially and in the pursuit of career opportunities. I can well imagine that's already happening. So, ambitious students will find it necessary to parrot the party line and to burnish their "liberal" credentials in the public square that Facebook has become.

This can't end well.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
It's no secret that the left has it's claws in academia. The question should be, how are we gonna stop it? I know everything that my kids are being taught in school and whatever subject it may be, I show them the truth and explain to them how propaganda works. They need to know all sides. I've made my daughters history teacher mad several times because my daughter knows that most of it is BS. It's our job as a parent to try and keep on top of what they're being taught so that we may inject the truth, or, opposing views into it.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
So the only computer that school kids have access to is the one at school? The only time they will bother to do any research about the world is during school time? The only exposure they will have to the almost infinite body of knowledge available to anyone on the planet is between 8 am and 3:30 pm, school days??? And none of them will see a blocked site and wonder why, and proceed to find another way to access it?

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Due Diligence.

If you are concerned about what your child will be taught in a particular school it is YOUR responsibility as a parent to investigate that school first and determine if it meets your standards. Visit the institution. Talk to the administrators. Attend school board meetings, PTA or PTO meetings, school assemblies etc etc etc.

If it turns out that you are not satisfied then choose an alternative. Alternatives include other available schools in the district, private schools, and of course home schooling.

Another alternative is to BE INVOLVED in your child's education. Don't just attend school board meetings, run for a seat and get elected to the board. Then YOU would be the one setting the "agenda" not some commie-liberal-scum-sucker. Join the PTA/PTO and interact with the teachers on a day to day basis. Make sure they understand how you feel about their in-class policies and curriculum. Associate with like-minded parents and approach the administration as a group to encourage them to provide a fair and balanced world outlook. If your employment situation allows, volunteer as an aide to your child's teacher. Be present in the class and get a first hand view of what the teacher is ACTUALLY saying and doing. If you can't do this perhaps a grand parent or other family member could.

This is the minimum effort you would put in to the search for a nanny or baby sitter, it seems obvious you would put even more effort into your child's schooling.

Bottom line is- it is not the world's job to ensure it abides by your desires. It is YOUR responsibility to point it in the direction you want to go.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Or in the software they're using. Did you read the entire article? The school isn't going in and blocking individual websites. They bought software that does it for them and it's being investigated. Leave it to FOX to make a story out of nothing.

Yes, I read the entire article and I call BS. Even IF the software was responsible I still ask the question WHY would one party or point of view be so systematically blocked and another not? If you accept this as okay then you are being disingenuous and are in denial of a real problem endemic of the US education system.

The difference between me and someone who is defending this situation is that I would be outraged if the situation was reversed just as much as I am with the current situation. I can't understand how someone can think this is okay, regardless of the direction of bias.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

But that is the genius of the program isn't it.

They instill the plan and then call it an error later after their malarkey is exposed and the weak minds hold the thoughts.

Classic.

I bet the software comes this way as a "default" with options.

Very dangerous ultra_Progressive - ultra_Left Wing - ultra_Liberal - ultra_Fascist standardization technique.

"Buyer Beware"

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: signalfire
So the only computer that school kids have access to is the one at school? The only time they will bother to do any research about the world is during school time? The only exposure they will have to the almost infinite body of knowledge available to anyone on the planet is between 8 am and 3:30 pm, school days??? And none of them will see a blocked site and wonder why, and proceed to find another way to access it?

Just because a child may have unrestricted access to these sites elsewhere doesn't make it excusable that they don't have access to them at their school. You know the facility that is supposed to be providing them with an education?

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Blocking websites is akin to what the nazis did with their book burning.

That is the very antithesis of what the word liberal means.

Schools are suppose to be places of LEARNING.

Not indoctrination.

It is any wonder that this country doesn't produce some of the worlds brightest minds anymore?

We mass produce zombies.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I don't see the problem!!
Anyone here who disagrees with things being taboo for an organizations web page need to take a long hard look at the media you are currently using.
ATS does not allow certain things to e mentioned on their web space, but it is "their" web space, not mine.
Like I have said several times...
My chalk, their board, they hold the erasers.
If we do not like it we are free to get our own board.
If the school district is cool with their page and the software it uses....then fine!

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Excellent. Kids don't go to school to get dumbed down by the right wing on the public dime.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: signalfire
So the only computer that school kids have access to is the one at school?

OBVIOUSLY the school and the company that put the filter out are both partisan and skewed. And it is a very big deal that the school didn't immediately fix the problem. I find it a interesting (and very telling) that a few ATS posters don't think it's a big deal ... and they go on to blame FOX news or blame the students themselves for not going elsewhere to get their homework done.

edit on 6/20/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: g146541

The difference between ATS and a school's network is that ATS is privately owned and can set its own rules for user conduct. A school is publicly owned and is subject to the rules of the Constitution and state.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join