It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happens when you're black and you walk down the street

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
For all we know, the guy has arrest warrants and the cop knows him. Or, they were harassing people and someone described him to 911. It could be as simple as that.

If not, then I don't understand why the cop targeted him. I will say this, I've had the exact thing happen to me and I'm white.
edit on 9-6-2014 by Fylgje because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

I would as well.

I have never been treated as such by the police. I have, however, seen my friends treated like that when they copped an attitude right off the bat. I also have a cousin who married a police officer. They see the worst humanity has to offer, so to expect them to not be a bit paranoid is just as wrong. They do have the responsibility to treat people with respect, but they also expect to be treated with a modicum of respect as well.

We do not see anything that MAY have led up to this. We do not know if the officer was answering a call regarding the individual. In fact, we know nothing besides what the video shows. This could be the sum of the story, in which case the officer is badly in the wrong. Or... we may be missing some very important information that changes completely the complexion of this arrest.

But, yeah, we should by all means assume the officer is an ass and guilty of dishing out injustice without further investigation or additional information.

We all know that the police are human. We all know they are comprised of bullies, criminals and law-abiding men as well. I for one would prefer to hear all the information before judging someone's guilt.

But hey, that's just me. If you want to jump on the bandwagon without all the information, be my guest. It's everyone's right in the US to be an aSShat if they so chose.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996

Gimme quota dawg....YO....SUP......AIGHT. Most white folks dress and speak this way. Id dress all the white cops like rappers and really make it bizarre. YO

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Either way, the officer could act more professional. Excuse after excuse for men acting out of line.
edit on 6/9/2014 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
*note* I dont condine the behavior im about to speak of.

Is it any wonder why people walk into walmart targeting cops? Is it any wonder that law enforcement is considered the enemy by many?

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: bbracken677
a reply to: DeadSeraph

I would as well.

I have never been treated as such by the police. I have, however, seen my friends treated like that when they copped an attitude right off the bat. I also have a cousin who married a police officer. They see the worst humanity has to offer, so to expect them to not be a bit paranoid is just as wrong. They do have the responsibility to treat people with respect, but they also expect to be treated with a modicum of respect as well.

We do not see anything that MAY have led up to this. We do not know if the officer was answering a call regarding the individual. In fact, we know nothing besides what the video shows. This could be the sum of the story, in which case the officer is badly in the wrong. Or... we may be missing some very important information that changes completely the complexion of this arrest.

But, yeah, we should by all means assume the officer is an ass and guilty of dishing out injustice without further investigation or additional information.

We all know that the police are human. We all know they are comprised of bullies, criminals and law-abiding men as well. I for one would prefer to hear all the information before judging someone's guilt.

But hey, that's just me. If you want to jump on the bandwagon without all the information, be my guest. It's everyone's right in the US to be an aSShat if they so chose.
it is not illegal to be disrespectful to a cop, as much as some would like you to believe it is.

Respect is earned, not given.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Amazing. This video is NO DIFFERENT than most every "police brutality" video posted on this site (lacking evidence of before the encounter). The conviction sways from the officer's guilt to the pedestrian this time. But why?

To clarify further, this video isn't enough to convict either officer or pedestrian for wrongful conduct. Just like most of the other "brutality" videos it's not enough to come to a conclusion when there's no useful context, and yet ATS' members feel righteous enough to condemn individuals (officer or accused) based on their own agenda. Though it disappoints me that such usual convictions have 180'd due to information as "non-impacting" as skin color and accent.

Putting my own lifetime experiences and events witnessed aside from my own home state, this thread should raise an eyebrow to those here lucky enough to live in bodies and privileged neighborhoods which sheltered them.
Basically, it would take someone ignorant to put out either conclusion of guilt (officer or pedestrian) from such little context. And it would take someone especially dangerous to evoke such an emotional sense of conviction of guilt in videos like this.

edit on 2014 by BlubberyConspiracy because: (no reason given)

(post by ImaFungi removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
The cop should be immediately fired with out pay, instead he will probably get a promotion.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Looking at 0:55, both of the guys in front of the camera are a bit "sleepy eyed." While there are a variety of causes for that syndrome.... one of them is being blitzed. Were they loaded? Did they reek of the combustion of a controlled substance? The video isn't scratch & sniff, so we don't know.

The officer is definitely keying on the main character's hands, though. Like he has more than handbills or pamphlets therein.

The cop is trying to say something to the target--what it is, we'll never know, because target is talking much much louder than the cop, so if the officer was trying to explain the probable cause, it's lost in the "victim" torrent of speech. So, if you talk louder than the cops, and talk over them, they never attempted to explain the reason for the stop. Very clever. File that one under "how to make a cop look guilty." I'm sure no perp has ever talked over a cop before, and the officer has a moral obligation to stop everything and wait patiently for the person to grow quiet. Any other act is a form of police brutality.

Something happened to the arrestee's center of gravity where he pitches over the hood of the cop-car. Notice how he entwines the officer's legs with his own. That's a combative move, wrapping your legs around someone while they are cuffing you. I never do it on the first date, personally.

The perps can be rude and obnoxious; we've already established their unalienable right to act the clown. But the officer has an obligation to behave like an assistant waiter in an upscale restaurant. He is a public servant after all. So he must serve the perps and the pukes and the disorderly disturbers of the peace, just as if he were serving tea at the ladies' book club.

Yep. the cops suck all right.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

What area do you live in?

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: tovenar

I am actually questioning if this video is even real.

I work in a much higher crime area than LV, and if it is nothing serious, the cops will still stand there and talk to observe you. This video felt too unnatural.

As soon as the police pass by, one of the artist's group says oh look here come the police or whatever. Either they were filming and got ahead of themselves, or they have been in enough trouble that they knew what the police actions were going to be, which means the police are looking for them or have run into them enough to know them.

edit on 9-6-2014 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlubberyConspiracy
Amazing. This video is NO DIFFERENT than most every "police brutality" video posted on this site (lacking evidence of before the encounter). The conviction sways from the officer's guilt to the pedestrian this time. But why?

To clarify further, this video isn't enough to convict either officer or pedestrian for wrongful conduct. Just like most of the other "brutality" videos it's not enough to come to a conclusion when there's no useful context, and yet ATS' members feel righteous enough to condemn individuals (officer or accused) based on their own agenda. Though it disappoints me that such usual convictions have 180'd due to information as "non-impacting" as skin color and accent.

Putting my own lifetime experiences and events witnessed aside from my own home state, this thread should raise an eyebrow to those here lucky enough to live in bodies and privileged neighborhoods which sheltered them.
Basically, it would take someone ignorant to put out either conclusion of guilt (officer or pedestrian) from such little context. And it would take someone especially dangerous to evoke such an emotional sense of conviction of guilt in videos like this.

Exactly right.

I wonder what is the difference with those videos and this one..

By the way...all cops are not A-holes. I have known quite a few who are decent average guys. Violence against cops ain't going solve anything, so if you advocate it...STOP.

Someone asked..if your not black why does it bother you? I am Native American and have been stopped and frisked for no apparent reason, although never arrested.

Why was I not arrested..not committing a crime, no warrants out for my arrest and not intoxicated or high.

So yeah I have been racially profiled before and that is why this bothers me.

Again..

I wonder why this video of police being A-holes is any different than the rest?

White, being a douchebag and looking for trouble and hoping to catch a cop on film and cop stops asks him what he doing = Police out of line

Black being a douchebag(to some anyways) and filming, talking about a successful show and cops get out of car and not explain what is going and detain him = wait a minute we do not know the full story, this guy is obviously some type of criminal..

OK now I see the difference

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: tovenar

Its las vegas, what occurred is dehumanizing and not how the protectors of citizens should treat innocent citizens, yes they were innocently walking around the street. At least the neighbors around there got to see their tax dollars hard at work.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: nixie_nox

Crazy..usually this type of video is posted..people are outraged.

Nope not know..no one posting links to the constitution..etc which is usual when a video like this.

This type the cops get the benefit of the doubt...even with blatant disrespect.

Damn..a cop talking crap to white guy with a cam....bill of rights ..etc. brought out.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
So much for liberty. Guess it doesn't matter any more. At least they got a video. We might need it here soon.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: captaintyinknots

I never said it was.

I will say it is common sense not to tickle a bear's nose. It is also common sense that if you have done nothing not to provoke a police officer lol.

Indeed, respect should be earned but it sounds like when you meet someone new you will go out of your way to disrespect them until you get to know them and find they have earned your respect.

Also by your implication, cops should not respect the public until they have earned it. Nice place to live (/sarc).

I would grant any human a modicum of respect until it is proven whether they deserve it or not.

The absolute of "respect is earned not given" can lead to all kinds of nasty confrontations that do not involve the police (at least, initially). It's the equivalent of claiming that I can be an a$$hat to everyone and anyone who have not earned my respect with impunity (lol yeah...that works).

The truth is you can... (be an a$$hat) but you also should be prepared to reap the consequences.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

Police breaking into cars for *suspicion* of marijuana

Hell, who needed that pesky 4th amendment anyway? It's just a number in the bunch and not like it's I or II or anything, right?
They're just following their nose...nothing wrong with that if we lose that old dusty document prohibiting it.

How interesting your above quote from that thread. Guess what color the victim was in that case..one guess!

There you were appalled by the suspicion, here you agree with it..gee wonder why.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996

Perhaps it is because, rather than condemn and convict without any more proof than a video, we have realized that a video does not tell the full story. Perhaps it is that those posting (some of us anyway) recognize that videos out of context can provide the wrong perception of what has happened. Perhaps (just perhaps) we are maturing in the digital age, recognizing that a short video of an event does not tell the whole story.

I, of course, will grant that perhaps the video does provide the whole story. In this case the officer is at fault and should be terminated with criminal charges.

The flip side of the coin also exists in that perhaps the cop is in the right due to factors not present in the video.

So...do you condemn based on a partial picture of what happened? I do not.

OH, and if I had commented on those other videos you refer to, my stance would be exactly the same no matter what race is involved. Unfortunately, (or fortunately) race has nothing to do with being a jerk no matter which side of the badge you are one.

edit on 9-6-2014 by bbracken677 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: bbracken677I will say it is common sense not to tickle a bear's nose.

and if a 'bear' attacks you out of nowhere, what then? play dead?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join