It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happens when you're black and you walk down the street

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

Then again..I'm not one to take the Anti-Cop side by default and for definite reasons. That's just me.

Do you remember when....

When a police officer came up and told you what he was there for, what you are suspected of?

When a police officer in a bad area looked bored because he did the same busts over and over...not violent and breaking the law by kicking and beating people?

Do you remember when if being cuffed, you were read your rights?

If we make excuses for the Law, breaking or abusing the Law no matter what may be the provocations,we will all be sorry in the end.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee
a reply to: Lipton

IF there was a reason to stop these guys the reason should have been made clear in the first sentence out of the cops mouth!

if you condone these actions in anyway you are looking for a really bad future when they decide they don't LIKE something about YOU!

A: Not necessarily. I have seen people arrested for drug possession with a warrant served that were not told anything but their rights.

B: You assume that the guy was arrested because he was black. ASS U Me. There is no data presented other than the video. As you well know video can present a picture of an event that is totally out of context skewing the whole meaning of the event.

I will say if it is as it appears, then an extreme miscarriage of justice has occurred and the officer should be fired. If not...then a lot of people have opened mouth and inserted foot.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Bad cops power tripping.

No need to do what they did, unless this man was wanted for some crime before the video rolled. Horrible.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: rival

I hate to say this but the guy who first got hassled resisted just enough
to allow the cop to do what he did and justify it.

At about 1.26 min he says "what did I do SIR" (or some such he definitely continues to say SIR) he walked over calmly with hands showing THEN he started being pushed around with NO explanation, how would you react?
edit on 9-6-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: CJCrawleyWhy was he refusing to be searched?

Because it is his right. Here in America we have the right to go about freely without undue harassment. This man broke no laws if he wants to dance down the street it is his right as long as he isn't hurting anyone which he clearly wasn't. Everyone of these cops should be charged and the one in the yellow shirt should also be charged with assault along with the cop that started this.

They booked him, didn't they?

So this man DID break a law.

I don't know if the cops were acting on a hunch or a tip-off, but they were doing what it says on the tin: FIGHTING CRIME.

I don't believe those guys were out collecting for the Red Cross, and probably the streets of LV were a little bit safer that night after that.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: bbracken677

You assume that the guy was arrested because he was black.

No I don't assume any such thing, I actually never thought about the why...I simply know that a respectable law enforcement action and procedure is not what we are seeing here and have not seen for a long while.

Because an officer Thought" that I was not wearing my seatbelt, even though I would never not wear my belt even before it was law, he harassed me, called me a liar and wrote a ticket...because my hand was holding the seat belt strap. All through this he treated me like I was not even a person, he didn't say like they used to, Mam I am stopping you because I believe you saw me and then put on your seatbelt, he treated me like a murder used to be treated.

I am 58 years old, never drink, smoke don't even know what the drug names mean, drive a toyota van...but I was treated nearly as hostile as the guy was in the video! Simply for saying :No officer, I always have my seatbelt on!" He called me a LIAR!I hate lies and am honest in the extreme.

Ok I am now feeling this personally now

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

Wookie.. You may radically underestimate HOW offensive that N-- word IS to some in this nation,

The area around the guy looks totally empty.

Would they not have to ban playing Rap?
edit on 9-6-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

That's pure racial profiling and belief that they MUST be committing a crime. The street might be safer if the cops went home.

Being arrested doesn't mean a person broke a law. Cops haul people in all the time and let the system decide what to do.

That is so sad.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Just curious how many of you defending the cops in this situation would feel the same way if this happened in texas and the guy was white?

I'm not one of the people around here that jumps on the cop hating bandwagon with every video that is posted here, but even I can see these cops were out of line and those guys did nothing wrong. Could the police have been called on them prior to the video being taken? Sure. Then why not stop them, talk to them, and investigate the situation? The guy in the video is on the hood of the car within 30 seconds of the cop walking up to him... How would YOU react to that? Would YOU feel your rights were being violated? Because I would...

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

That is not sad, that just reveals the posters attitude toward such justice, its good to know....good to know.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

Just curious how many of you defending the cops in this situation would feel the same way if this happened in texas and the guy was white?

It would be called police brutality.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
People still believe that if a cop hauls a person to jail, that person is guilty? Guess we can eliminate the jury system now.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Yeah, people get booked all the time and it turns out they were totally innocent.

Whatever.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

The area you see is anything BUT empty and that might have been part of what drew attention. Where THEY initially were is empty but why is that? Could their behavior be part of it? Again.. called or drove by on a chance?

If you keep watching through the video and watch the background, you'll see the big Vegas type crowds crossing 6th on Freemont behind and to the right of where this is happening. I saw a couple groups that way and it's about what I'd expect to see just outside Freemont Experience.

Indeed tho...where these two had been was empty sidewalk. Interesting on that.

Perhaps it's pretty important to include more than a few seconds before an incident's video to show context and not cause folks like me to wonder what brought the attention and interest in the first place? What I DO see is what seems a pester/harassment stop to people the cops probably know well. They got their back up and combative, literally from the first word said. That determined everything from that moment forward in my experience with police.
edit on 6/9/2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

They booked him, didn't they? So this man DID break a law.

Just because they booked him doesn't automatically mean he actually broke any law. This guy was walking down the street talking in a normal voice when he was harassed by the cops. Of course the cop is going to make it look like they are in the right and if this guy did break a law then why didn't the cop tell him what law he broke when the guy politely asked him what he did wrong.

I don't know if the cops were acting on a hunch or a tip-off, but they were doing what it says on the tin: FIGHTING CRIME.

Then the cops need to start arresting each other because as far as the video goes they are the ones who broke the law.

I don't believe those guys were out collecting for the Red Cross, and probably the streets of LV were a little bit safer that night after that.

Yes because black people only start trouble and if there is more than two of them then they are a gang right?
edit on 9-6-2014 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996

If there is no story behind this incident this is terrible... a disgrace for the policeforce. That officer (and his willing friends) needs a lawsuit on his #ss with such a big payout that his fellow officers will think twice before deciding to be such brave and fearless heroes.
edit on 9/6/2014 by zatara because: of what happened before..

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley

Yeah, people get booked all the time and it turns out they were totally innocent.

Whatever.

Innocent people get arrested. You can't be that misinformed, hopefully.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

I don't know.

I don't know any of the back story...all we have is a few minutes of video.

But if you are seriously suggesting that the sole incentive for what those officers did was racial prejudice, then you are very, very naïve.

I believe they were either trying to prevent a crime or else going after suspects for a crime already committed.

And yes, there is a certain demographic for that type of thing, which those guys fitted.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley

:facepalm:

Second line.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Lipton

That attitude is part of the problem mate.

The comment you quoted contains a perfectly valid point. You COMPLETELY ignored that point and essentially de-humanised the person behind it - because of the way they 'wrote it'.

So, despite that person getting their message across successfully (which is the point of communication), and raising a fair point (rather than just saying '# the police') none of it actually mattered because you perceived his grammar as inferior...

You've essentially justified lowering someone's level in relation to yours based on a factor you don't like. That's exactly what these police are doing. Am I wrong?

People can talk how they want and act how they want - the only golden rule in my opinion is do not cause suffering upon others. The minute you start applying self-righteousness and examples of how we should 'talk' and 'act', is the minute you allow inequality.

You're effectively saying 'ghetto' people should act a certain way (the way YOU'VE been raised) otherwise they are essentially 'asking for police trouble'. Am I right?

Shouldn't the only important factor be the law? As long as you abide by the law, you are free to act and talk how you wish.

People will be raised how they are raised. An intelligent and good hearted person will rise above the 'hood' mentality most of the time, but that doesn't mean the hood mentality won't rub off them at all. They wouldn't be genuine if they suddenly changed all their mannerisms to match that of someone from a 'better neighbourhood'.

If the guy wants to do a silly dance, let him. That's the vibe he grew up with and naturally enjoys. Why should anyone be denied acting like a 'clown', as long as they aren't causing harm?

If you honestly believe the main guy's behaviour prior to the first cop arriving warranted such a response then my words are truely useless. I guess I see it differently.
edit on 9-6-2014 by DazDaKing because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join