It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happens when you're black and you walk down the street

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Opinions vary..and that's why arrest leads to arraignment. The arguing is for the court, not the street...and what I call exceptionally hateful, ignorant and threatening displays on a public street...others may just call 'hanging out'. Fine.. Although time and place for everything.

Citizen nose to Cop nose in the street will only ever accomplish one thing. The citizen with a broken nose. To court with it!

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
police stupidity at it's finest. moron with a badge and a sense of power that's gone to his head. they need to be dealt with.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

Wookie.. You may radically underestimate HOW offensive that N-- word IS to some in this nation, and MORE SO...not LESS so..when we're told it's not just a racial slur, but a racial slur ONLY when some races say it.

That is a hateful fighting word, as sure as walking down the same street calling out "Mo-Fo this" and "Mo-Fo That".

I have no idea if the cop merely heard this, or was specifically dispatched to it by a citizen complaint. I hadn't caught that anywhere, if anyone has done the background to find out? If a citizen complaint, then...what happened BEFORE the final moment the creator of the video felt comfy putting into the public? What brought it to police attention?

We're assuming it was a bored cop just happening by to do a stop-n-check. Was it actually? Do we know, when it makes a very dig difference to the title of the thread and whole context of the stop?

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Onslaught2996

So tell me what exactly did he do wrong in the first place?

This is my opinion. Don't have all the information, but my opinion is based solely on the video. If the police officer had no other reason than what is shown to stop the young man, the cop is straight up wrong. He created a situation where none existed. He did not articulate the reason for the stop, and placed himself above the law by assuming he could act an ass and must be obeyed without question. He went hands on way too early and without sufficient justification. Once he realized he was in over his head, he called for backup, and rather than de-escalate a simple situation, it was escalated by the arrival of additional officers. The police handled this entire situation very poorly, and this is why American's fear the police.

The young man did nothing to warrant the stop, nor did he create the initial situation. However, he made some tactical mistakes too. The officer told him to step to the front of the car, but he stepped closer to the officer and the side of the car, questioning the officers intentions and reason for stopping him. His friends began yelling, and approached the officer when they should have shut up, stepped back, and continued filming. Once the officer went hands on, right or wrong, take a deep breath and DON'T MOVE! The police look for the slightest movement to escalate a situation, and add a charge of resisting. Someone else wrote you should notify the police you do not consent to a search and reserve your right to not answer questions. Excellent advice, AND the officer is now in a position to either s**t or get off the pot.

It's a shame incidents such as this happen every day in every city, and we as citizens have to defend ourselves just for walking down the street. The officer started this, and had the young man followed the aforementioned steps, This video would have been a much better condemnation of the injustices perpetrated on innocent civilians by the militarized police departments, and most especially the police officers who do not deserve the title or the job.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I love this N word debate. The people who cry it is so bad use it freely to describe them selves and say it is 'loving'. Just stupid.

Lots of big problems in this country but those who run it make sure we keep worrying about stuff that won't collapse their empire.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

Wookie.. You may radically underestimate HOW offensive that N-- word IS to some in this nation, and MORE SO...not LESS so..when we're told it's not just a racial slur, but a racial slur ONLY when some races say it.

That is a hateful fighting word, as sure as walking down the same street calling out "Mo-Fo this" and "Mo-Fo That".

I understand this, and actually agree with you 100%. It's no worse though, than the Westborough Babtist Church idiots who blab all the offensive things they say, and don't get arrested for it, and because we don't want to stop free speech, I'm sure you would agree that there shouldn't be a law against it.

However, the video clearly shows the cop drive by and pull a u-turn after seeing the guy and his friends walking down the street. He was dancing (or whatever that was) when the cop got out and that's when the guy was arrested. I don't believe the cop heard anything he was saying. This is a case of abuse of power IMO. Was it racially motivated? We'll never know, but from the point the cop drove by, made a u-turn and made the arrest, no crime was committed.
edit on 9-6-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996

Extremely racist pigs ..!! They show up in gangs and think because they have guns they can do whatever they want ..
This is straight up thuggery ..

I can't believe in this day and age they are getting away with such blatant racism ..racial profiling ..arresting black people for no reason!
Those pigs need to be hung up high !

This just goes to show America is till run by a very racist authority that allows this to happen ..

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

I been to Vegas, and that looks like the strip of Vegas.. trust me... those words dont mean sht. The cops only care about that when it is two people fighting.

The vegas strip is so load and traffic, people dont have time to worry about some guy talking to themselves.

My opinion's that, the officer probably profiled him, but the guy gave the cop excuse to abuse the power.

Comply and bend over or get arrested.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: junglimogli

Thank god for phone cameras, imagine how often this happens and never goes reported.

How much % of arrested "offenders" are really offenders.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: luciddream

That's not the strip in Vegas. This happened just off the intersection of 6th and Fremont Streets, a few blocks east of the Fremont Experience, downtown.

edit on 6/9/2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Ah the old vegas.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

What this clearly shows is the cop do a casual drive past, slow, make sure he could flip without causing an accident, then coming back around to close the lane where they were. He came out and was on guard and engaging right from the start...which is how I've known cops to be when they're finding what they went looking for, not walking into something cold to figure it out. I'm still not sure if he was called or just stumbled past it.

In watching the whole thing..I'm also not seeing where language would have had anything to do with arrest. Stop yes. Arrest? No. Resisting and being jerks is what appears to have gotten them arrested and contempt of cop is a certain one to get it from. I don't agree with that entirely, but such is life.

Funny thing.... Metro dispatch and call records don't show anything (and I mean ANYTHING) for the evening of the 30th into the following morning at 6th and Fremont or within a block of it in any direction. There is a grand theft auto from that area the morning of the 30th ..but I figured I'd toss in the lack of a hit. It doesn't necessarily mean anything, since the Crime-Stat isn't done by Metro on the map. It's a Crimemapping product and they aren't perfect.

* it is interesting to note that for the 4 block area around that intersection, disturbance of peace is the most common call out and incident title for the last several months worth of police action. That changes radically within a few blocks..but there? Just people disturbing others seems to keep the cops busy.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Check the 29th? Usually youtube vids are uploaded the day after. Who knows though, it could have been uploaded several days after it occurred.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Lipton

"You're judged by the company you keep" comes to mind. If you want to identify with a group then you shouldn't be too surprised if people mistake you for belonging to that group.

The police are NOT judges and just because someone talks or walks or dresses any certain way is no excuse to harass them!

IF there was a reason to stop these guys the reason should have been made clear in the first sentence out of the cops mouth!

if you condone these actions in anyway you are looking for a really bad future when they decide they don't LIKE something about YOU!

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

The reason to stop them is already there.... those black guys were carrying high amount melanin in their hidden epidermis.

ba dum! ching!!

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cancerwarrior
Yep, all the black folks in prison are there just because they are black. Now where have I heard that before?

I'm white. I was pulled over in the ghetto once with the cop wanting to know what my business in that neighborhood was. He looked surprised when I told him I lived there.

So it seems to me that if you're in the ghetto, it does'nt matter what color you are, you are assumed to be up to no good.

Yes well he ASKED you a question not pushed you onto his car and handcuffed you or acted as though he is arresting you before you even know why.
edit on 9-6-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: sulaw

Were you on the radio listening, or do you know if the individual had a warrant out on him? Was a call placed fitting the individuals description?

He clearly was read no rights, nor told what it was about...he kept asking"what did I do...I didn't do anything!"

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Question: if you're not black, why would you care?

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: FirePiston

Umm he is cussing and being obnoxious. Then starts doing some weird thing with his body.. I would see this and think mentally unstable and perhaps that is why someone is recording him, for evidence maybe. If your going to walk around outsude in public acting a fool someone will take notice. We also do not know before the video if cops were called or not for something else that the video does not show.
Firepiston

You know what, I don't even use swear words and I find all fowl language disgusting...the guys language and all were repellent to me...but EVEN I can see how easy it is to fall into that trap of saying he was

cursing and being obnoxious

So here is an excuse to illegally harass someone we disagree with, in behavior, clothing, speech!

By your standard EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US would be treated this way because there will be some cop who dislikes our particular impression!

Everyone is obnoxious to someone sometime! If there is a person who has never done something like dance on the street or be loud or act stupid I would sure be surprised!

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

Ah yes...we know for a fact that no call was made issuing a complaint regarding the "perp" (lol, sorry, I have always wanted to use that in a sentence).

We know that there were no laws broken and witnessed, we know that nothing happened prior to the incident in question.

Not making an excuse for the cop and his actions but there is much we do not know. That being the case it appears that someone is being found guilty without the ability to defend himself. Video is a powerful thing, but it can also present situations out of context.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join