It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happens when you're black and you walk down the street

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

Amanda Knox and ex-boyfriend guilty of Kercher murder.

The whole case should be thrown out; marred by farcical incompetence from the get-go. I think it unlikely Knox/Sollecito had anything to do with it, but even if they did no one can be sure now because the investigation was conducted in such a breathtakingly amateur manner (interviews not video/audio recorded, no lawyer present, problems with translation, cross-contamination and incorrect storage of vital evidence). Rudy Guede helpfully left his DNA all over the place, they got him bang to rights, case closed. As to Knox's extradition - forget it. It's not going to happen.

Here you defend Amanda Knox..even with evidence against her. Gee I wonder why?

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: captaintyinknots

Funny, but most of those I have known who felt the police were the enemy were known to have broken the law in some form or fashion.

Back in the 70s, I got pulled over driving through Dallas, driving a POS full of my stuff. When the officer began looking at my stuff (me being a long haired hippy type lol) I just knew I was in trouble. To me it occurred that it could look as if I had burglarized someone house. Since my cat was also in the car (was driving home from college) the officer came to the conclusion (and stated so) that no one in their right mind would burglarize a home and take a cat along lol. The college parking permit no doubt helped support my story.

I was fortunate in that I wasn't pulled over by an a$$hat...those days just having long hair in Texas was grounds for a drug search. I was also fortunate in that I had enough common sense to not start mouthing off and being an a$$hat myself. That, no doubt, would have earned me a night in the pokey. Instead I completed my drive home. I am pretty sure that I remember having a bag tucked away in my possessions somewhere so had I been stupid I probably would have spent more than just a night in jail.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

In situations like that I would take my own advice. I've been there
done that.

Anytime you are in an encounter with police, and especially when
you are in an encounter that has started off badly...close your lips
and become docile.

By opening up your mouth you are GIVING them power over you, by
trying to pull away, or resist being cuffed, you are giving them power
over you by providing justification for their actions.

By remaining docile and calmly stating that you don't consent to
any search and that you will be exercising your right to remain silent
you take all the fun out of it for them.

This is especially true when the encounter is being video taped, and
this guy KNEW the encounter was being videotaped and still provided
that cop with justification for his own arrest...and it could have been
worse--when he first resisted physically (as slight as it was) that cop
could have taken him to the ground and busted his head against the
concrete, and the video would have provided justification for the cop's
actions.

I've seen hundreds of Youtube videos where activists who just can't
stop asserting their rights end up beaten down, jailed, and charged with
crimes, simply because they wanted to have a one on one with the cop
and show how smart and tough they were. It's just stupid behavior. You
can't ~win~ an encounter with police...you may win in court if you have
a case...but not in the heat of the moment.

My advice in this video's situation would have completely neutered that
rogue cop--it's on video, the guy is not resisting, he asserted his right to
remain silent...now what?. That cop would have powerless to do anything
but a Terry pat-down (search for a weapon during a police encounter--the
SCOTUS ruled it is constitutional) and then let the man go. He couldn't even
have successfully demand ID. The man being detained could have simply
remained silent, not produced ID, and if the cop went into his wallet
you have video evidence of an unwarranted search.

It's a matter of choosing when to fight, and when not to fight. It's good advice
to only fight when you have the advantage and when you hands are pinned
behind you back by someone with authority over you, you do not have the
advantage.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz

originally posted by: bbracken677I will say it is common sense not to tickle a bear's nose.

and if a 'bear' attacks you out of nowhere, what then? play dead?

Are you denying the common sense of not tickling a bear's nose?

lol

If a bear attacks you out of no where, playing dead is one option... not sure it would it would help option 2, which would be dying, but it might.

If you do not have enough common sense to not annoy a police officer then what does that say about you? lol

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: rival

No one knows what the cop would do if the person acted a bit different. I think we saw the typical actions this cop takes.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: bbracken677

It is also common sense that if you have done nothing not to provoke a police officer lol.
common sense is that if I have done nothing wrong, theres no reason for the cop to be bothering me. On top of that, common sense is "innocent until proven guilty.

but it sounds like when you meet someone new you will go out of your way to disrespect them until you get to know them and find they have earned your respect.
not sure how you got there, but whatever works....

To me, there is middle ground. Just because I dont respect someone doesnt mean I have to disrespect them. My world isnt that black and white.

Also by your implication, cops should not respect the public until they have earned i

Cops get paud to service the public. They dont have to respect anyone, but they damn sure ought to be required to be civil to their employers (the public).

It's the equivalent of claiming that I can be an a$$hat to everyone and anyone who have not earned my respect with impunity
perhaps, if, once again, your world is that black and white.

The truth is you can... (be an a$$hat) but you also should be prepared to reap the consequences
consider this: you act disrespectful to a civilian. They punch you in the nose.

There are repurcussions for that. They get arrested. Probably sued.

So why, then, is it ok for cops to be above those laws?

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: bbracken677

Funny, but most of those I have known who felt the police were the enemy were known to have broken the law in some form or fashion
funny, most that I know that consider them the enemy do so based on police actions.

But I digress. The point was obviously missed anyway.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Onslaught2996
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

Police breaking into cars for *suspicion* of marijuana

Hell, who needed that pesky 4th amendment anyway? It's just a number in the bunch and not like it's I or II or anything, right?
They're just following their nose...nothing wrong with that if we lose that old dusty document prohibiting it.

How interesting your above quote from that thread. Guess what color the victim was in that case..one guess!

There you were appalled by the suspicion, here you agree with it..gee wonder why.

Okay.. You've lost me entirely. One case was the police department breaking into an unattended vehicle apparently on pure nose sense.

This case are a couple guys going down the street jumping and running around, which may have gotten the cop's curiosity or it may have been called in and he was driving that way looking for them. Hard to say. Disturbing the Peace is, as I mentioned, a VERY common thing for arrests down there, according the the crime map LVPD feeds data to.

When the cop asked them what was going on, they got combative.

Now I've said this before...I come from a law enforcement household. I grew up around cops and the police culture. I both understand a fair portion as an outsider, and respect it for the crappy job the vast majority do from Academy to retirement with little thanks, nonstop B.S. and little else.

So..I take everything on a case by case, and based on the circumstances of each. What some Florida cops did breaking into someone's truck has NOTHING related to the actions of some cops in downtown Las Vegas for a street disturbance.

** LVPD Also has 150+ Black Officers with the 2nd in Command of the Las Vegas Metro PD being a black man himself. (Maybe someone can explain why it's titled and listed how it is on the LVMPD website? It says Assistant Sheriff but on the actual Metro Police website? The same thing there?)

Enough with the race cards.. really. Not every police action is a Constitutional case of racism and abuse.
edit on 6/9/2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

So how was one wrong and one right? Both had no clear indication of wrong doing.

How is walking down the street considered street disturbance.

But I will apologize, after looking through your other posts...you seem to be fair.

Although I feel you are wrong on this one.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996

I'm flattered that you've taken the time and effort to trawl through my posts.

Now - at the risk of derailing your own thread - would you care to explain what Amanda Knox has got to do with the price of fish?

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I don't need to watch the video to see what happens, nor know what it's like…..
You're gonna wonder just when you'll be frisked, taken off the sidewalk, while just walking there….and patted down, your pockets emptied, whomever you are and whatever you're doing, wherever you're going….

that's the deal, right now….
can we make it different. That's the question, no matter color….
tetra50

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Lets take this slowly. The forceful breaking and entering of a parked and unattended vehicle would be the searching of locked property not under the control and custody of the officers breaking it, or by any court order in that case, making exception to the law against breaking and entering. That is an improper act. They claimed the smell of dope hit on by a dog, I believe. Well..bully for them and we'll see how that one plays out in court. It may come down to having the right or wrong judge.

Now on this case, no one is even debating how or whether it should have escalated after the stop which I've been seeing. The debate is about whether there should have been one with a title inferring race as a direct causation to discuss. Well... I have been.

I believe I saw them raising their voice with what are fighting words and racial slurs, hopping around and acting foolish at night just outside the tourist area of Las Vegas, which even the tourists likely figure out are special enforcement zones. (Bike cops all over the place are among the hints, I'd think) Did the cop have the right to stop? Yup... Did he have the right to inquire in a mere question, what was up? Yes. He sure did. Did he have to be talked over and talked at? Nope. It's professional not to react to that stuff, but was it reacting or was it trying to get a base of control to a field investigation of possible...only possible at that moment...disturbing the peace? (as what I'd say I'm seeing there).

I'd say we're going to disagree as to the concept that a cop can't pull up aside and get out to ask anyone they'd like and think may be acting odd, what they're up to?

How someone responds, like shouting vs. saying Good Evening, sir..just walking along, taking some vid for the net!' can make the difference between 5 minutes of annoyance or jail. It sure did here.

edit on 6/9/2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   

I'm sorry if this violates T&C, but these out of control cops need to be put into a room with 20+ large, aggressive, inmates and let the payback begin. There is no excuse for their behavior and I firmly believe that abuse of power should be punishable by death.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

But if you are seriously suggesting that the sole incentive for what those officers did was racial prejudice, then you are very, very naïve.

If you don't think cops frame blacks and harass blacks just so they can bust them then you are the one that is naive.

I believe they were either trying to prevent a crime or else going after suspects for a crime already committed.

Give your reason behind this statement. I have seen how cops work to get blacks into a situation so they could arrest them.

And yes, there is a certain demographic for that type of thing, which those guys fitted.

Yes they were black. That is the only demographic that matters isn't it?

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

Don't you worry brother. As soon as I am able, I'm going to every state capital in the US, and I'm going to speak the truth about the government from a soapbox in every city square. Enough is enough.

Once I get a group of about 50 or so listening, it won't take long for the truth to spread. Some of these people have no idea about what's going on in this world whether due to ignorance or just not being able to get information due to heavy censorship and propaganda in the MSM.

it's our jobs to inform them. Print up some pamphlets and go onto public property at rush hour and ask if people would like to hear the truth

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Young black men is the demographic.

They are responsible for a disproportionate amount of crime, both in your country and mine.

What do you say...we just ignore that and pretend everyone is the same?

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   

I find this troubling as well. I've seen a lot of "police brutality" videos posted on this site in which I actually felt the police were justified in their actions, but because it was a white person the whole site was up in arms and talking about constitutional rights and lawsuits and taking the power back, etc.

Where are those same people now? I don't like it when the race card gets played unnecessarily but I find the lack of reaction here to be quite troubling. There is a clear double standard (and no I'm not biased, as I'm white).

The excuses being offered up for the police here are really quite weak, when it's obvious those same excuses don't seem to be offered up in other threads. I've seen enough commentary on this site to know that people rarely seem to ask what happened before the video started rolling. Suddenly, it's a valid question when it really shouldn't matter, since this cop didn't do jack as far as investigation goes. No questions, not even a hello, just instantly putting the guy against the hood of the car when he decides he doesn't like his attitude.

All I know is every single one of you (myself included) would be pissed if a cop treated you the same way. Rights aren't determined by how a person dresses or acts, or the color of their skin. They are God given inalienable rights that extend to each citizen in accordance with the law of the land (in this case the U.S constitution). This cop didn't even read the guy his rights or tell him what he was being arrested for. Total BS, and while I don't know what happened beforehand, the events in the video sure look like racial profiling to me.
edit on 9-6-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley
a reply to: buster2010

They are responsible for a disproportionate amount of crime, both in your country and mine.

What do you say...we just ignore that and pretend everyone is the same?

No, but focusing on that won't solve anything.
Surely, we all understand that….if we don't we should. As doing that is focusing on a symptom, and not what's causing it. When we focus on the cause, then it's a whole other thing, and we have hope of solving the problem.
It's like focusing on the symptoms, rather than the disease…..

What, in the current paradigm they live in (and us, too) do you expect of them, really?
tetra
edit on 9-6-2014 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: tetra50
What, in the current paradigm they live in (and us, too) do you expect of them, really?
tetra

FINALLY! Someone at least finally has the testicular fortitude to come out and say it! Black people deserve special treatment! They are incapable of success in spite of over $1 trillion dollors of assistance over the course of 50 years. Countless laws that have been legislated all in the name of equality which only serves to perpetuate the cycle of racism because it stoke the fires of 'seperate but equal'.

Some of you want to throw out that I'm racist?!? You good-idea faries and your hubris has single handedly gutted the spirit out an entire race. You party platform climaxes at the thought of throwing them under the bus, keeping them culturally weak, broken and on the government tit, and whispering in their ear EVERY SINGLE DAY that if it wasn't for you and all your warm fuzzies they would cease to be.

Then you toss them scraps in exchange for votes.

The entire progressive platform relies on you maintaining the status quo and don't you dare have the audacity to claim otherwise.

edit on 9-6-2014 by Lipton because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lipton

originally posted by: tetra50
tetra

FINALLY! Someone at least finally has the testicular fortitude to come out and say it! Black people deserve special treatment! They are incapable of success in spite of over $1 trillion dollors of assistance over the course of 50 years. Countless laws that have been legislated all in the name of equality which only serves to perpetuate the cycle of racism because it stoke the fires of 'seperate but equal'.

Some of you want to throw out that I'm racist?!? You good-idea faries and your hubris has single handedly gutted the spirit out an entire race. You party platform climaxes at the thought of throwing them under the bus, keeping them culturally weak, broken and on the government tit, and whispering in their ear EVERY SINGLE DAY that if it wasn't for you and all your warm fuzzies they would cease to be.

Then you toss them scraps in exchange for votes.

The entire progressive platform relies on you maintaining the status quo and don't you dare have the audacity to claim otherwise.

You describe very well what I mean by a "controlled paradigm," and I, too, am suffering for it….every day…and in every way imaginable.
tetra

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join