It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charles Barkley on NBA: 'We are a black league. We are a black league"

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots
Theres no question what he meant. Hes been talking about it all weekend.

He is either clarifying his position .. or he's trying to talk over what he really said.

The rest was blah blah blah off topic personal insult and not worthy of remarking upon.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

Theres no question what he meant. Hes been talking about it all weekend.

He is either clarifying his position .. or he's trying to talk over what he really said.

The rest was blah blah blah off topic personal insult and not worthy of remarking upon.

I feel like you almost want it to be a racist comment by the way you keep arguing your side.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

This will be my last response to you, as I dont feel like playing your stupid little trolling games.

“We cannot have an owner discriminating against a league that––we’re a black league, Ernie. We are a black league. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...
Its quite clear. To claim that this is anything OTHER than his saying you cannot have a person who discriminates against blacks in a predominantly black league is lying on your part.

What bothers me the most, is that some of you wont just come out and own what you are really saying. Instead you dance around, avoid true conversation, deflect, and turn it into a sniping match.

And really, if you thought the way you feel about it was right, you would have no issue coming out and saying it.

Might be time for a long look in the mirror.
edit on 28-4-2014 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

This is not about pride. You missed the whole point and I was making the point for individuals like yourself. Pushing for someone to have a job because of their skin is an effect of racism, caused by people not hiring people because of their skin and racist way of life.As far was we may travel lets not FORGET that. People throw that around like a boss is going to hire someone that isn't capable of doing the job just because of skin. These are qualified individuals. People do NOT push their skin color. Its culture and people are different. If you have people telling you, "your programs and forms of entertainment aren't worthy", then you will have people create their own show. We seem to forget that chapter. Just an example.

A colorblind society is a failure, respect and recognize the things that make us individuals. I refuse to relinquish my history, my struggle, and I refuse to ignore my wounds so you can sleep easier at night.
Everyone has a story and it should be told.
Bets are only required for games. This is real life.

"black thang". Look at people like Oprah. She has turn on the whole "black thang" every once in a while with her ebonics "yo go sista" or "you go girl". Even the President and his wife have to turn on their blackness with a few fist bumps here and there.

Your whole post reeks of ignorance. Why do people have to act like you in order to be accepted?? Turn their blackness on. How about the fact that he wouldn't be president if he didn't turn it off. Whatever that is supposed to mean in your head. Why are people intimidated by other people being themselves.

But NBA has been infiltrated by black culture i.e. thuggish gangster ghetto attitudes

I despise people that try their best to put people into a box. You and your racist brethren have tried and failed. Lets all wake up now.
edit on 28-4-2014 by AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS because: addition

link   

originally posted by: jhn7537
I feel like you almost want it to be a racist comment by the way you keep arguing your side.

I feel like you see only what you want to see.
For the third time .... I was asked what this was and here it is.

Donald Sterling - private conversation in which his very bigoted views came shining forth. They happened when provoked by a girl friend who was rubbing her conquests with black men in his face. She's now being sued for allegedly stealing 2 million from his family.

Charles Barkley - public statement that probably meant to say that black people are predominant in the sport BUT instead he used the words that sound very much like he's dismissing the 23% non-black players as well as the non-black owners and workers.

TMZ reported that the exgirlfriend had been intimate with the men and the wife said the woman was a gold digger, so therefore the word 'conquests' was used. I'm allowed to use it.

link   

What bothers me the most, is that some of you wont just come out and own what you are really saying. Instead you dance around, avoid true conversation, deflect, and turn it into a sniping match.

And really, if you thought the way you feel about it was right, you would have no issue coming out and saying it.

Might be time for a long look in the mirror.

I could respect people more for honestly saying "yeah, I'm a racist" than this cowardly BS obfuscation and lame denial.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

To claim that this is anything OTHER than his saying you cannot have a person who discriminates against blacks in a predominantly black league is lying on your part.

Obviously you strongly believe that your interpretation of his words is correct.
Others disagree with you. And that's not 'lying' on their part. That's disagreeing.
As for the rest of the post .. just more off topic insults. I won't address them.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537

I feel like you see only what you want to see.
For the third time .... I was asked what this was and here it is.

Donald Sterling - private conversation in which his very bigoted views came shining forth. They happened when provoked by a girl friend who was rubbing her conquests with black men in his face. She's now being sued for allegedly stealing 2 million from his family.

Charles Barkley - public statement that probably meant to say that black people are predominant in the sport BUT instead he used the words that sound very much like he's dismissing the 23% non-black players as well as the non-black owners and workers.

TMZ reported that the exgirlfriend had been intimate with the men and the wife said the woman was a gold digger, so therefore the word 'conquests' was used. I'm allowed to use it.

So you admitted earlier that you don't follow the NBA too closely, but you feel you are a good person for decoding the meaning to what Charles Barkley said? I follow the NBA, I've followed Charles Barkley for decades, and I understood what he was saying, and zero racist ideas popped in my head when I heard it for the first time. I knew exactly what he meant, but it seems like you are struggling to connect the dots to his true meaning, which is understandable knowing that you don't follow the sport.
edit on 28-4-2014 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
So asking if someones remarks are racist ... that makes the person asking the question racist? So when someone comes out and says 'it's a white league, it's a white league' or a mayor comes out and says 'my town is a vanilla town', or when a singer wears anti-black bling ... no one should say anything about those because that means they themselves are racist and the person displaying the questionable language or items really doesn't mean anything by it. Yeah, okay .. got it.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS

Bets are only required for games. This is real life.

I wasn't the one offering to wager.

This is not about pride.

It is for me. I said that I was proud of who I am. I'm allowed that.

Pushing for someone to have a job because of their skin is an effect of racism

It is a continuance of racism.

Your whole post reeks of ignorance.

The quote that you have attributed to me is not mine.

(post by Justwatchingyou removed for a manners violation)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Details are irrelevant? Seriously?

He told HER, not his GM or anyone else that he did not want to see her there with a black man. Why? Because other than his old white crusty self the only men she is seen with are black or biracial as she is. I mean, he cannot be to racist if he was banging her, right, since she is part black?

Swimming is a 99.9% white sport. You don't hear anyone say it and there has been only two female Olympic swimmers ever for the US I believe. Does that make swimming racist? We better ban it!

edit on 04pm30pmf0000002014-04-28T13:26:00-05:000100 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

The quote wasn't from you and it wasn't for you.

It is a continuance of racism.

I will let you rest with that one.

I like how you took the nice little 'lines' that do NOT fit into your world. But, I guess my job here is done, because you refuse to mention my whole post which lets me know, It stuck with you and you found it to be true.
Peace and Blessings.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

You are ignoring Sterling's LONG history of racist speak and actions.

When considering these things, you cant necessarily look at them in a vacuum.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

a reply to: olaru12
So asking if someones remarks are racist ... that makes the person asking the question racist? So when someone comes out and says 'it's a white league, it's a white league' or a mayor comes out and says 'my town is a vanilla town', or when a singer wears anti-black bling ... no one should say anything about those because that means they themselves are racist and the person displaying the questionable language or items really doesn't mean anything by it. Yeah, okay .. got it.

You keep giving a bunch of examples but the fact remains the question in your OP was is what Barkly said racist, and I don't see how it was in any way.

To answer your question, as far as the white league thing, take the nhl, a predominantly white league. Say there is a black owner who is heard saying he doesn't want white people coming to his games. You think it would be out of line for a former player, say Gretzky to say, "Why would he say this, its a white league?" I don't think you would say Gretzky is racist, he is just saying how dumb is this owner knowing the league is predominantly white. He is not saying black people aren't welcome. So to answer your question this would be acceptable.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I remember when Mayor Ray Nagin said New Orleans was a "chocolate city". He got blasted for that big time. But he said it in public and on purpose for all to hear like Charles did. Charles is wrong for his statements.

The Clippers owner's conversation should be ignored by all including the players because it was recorded without consent and was intended to be private. Whatever is said in that conversation is no bodies business.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnPhoenix
I remember when Mayor Ray Nagin said New Orleans was a "chocolate city". He got blasted for that big time. But he said it in public and on purpose for all to hear like Charles did. Charles is wrong for his statements.

The Clippers owner's conversation should be ignored by all including the players because it was recorded without consent and was intended to be private. Whatever is said in that conversation is no bodies business.

You can't expect people to just unhear something. This isn't court where evidence can be thrown out because it wasn't collected with consent. The NBA is a brand and they need to protect that brand from bad PR, ie Donald Sterling. Action is going to be taken against him for these comments, fines and a likely suspension and on the extreme end, losing the team.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnPhoenix

because it was recorded without consent and was intended to be private. Whatever is said in that conversation is no bodies business.
How do you know this? According to everything I am hearing, he knew he was being recorded.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: GreenMtnBoys

America is becoming "No Country For Middle Class White Males". LOL.

Lost my s### with that.
Also, in before someone gets offended.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: captaintyinknots

Stirling regularly recorded Conversations

What's more ... our sources say Stiviano routinely recorded her conversations with Sterling as HIS "archivist." And what's more ... she would regularly play the tapes back to him because he would often forget what he had said.

Our sources say sometime after the tape was recorded on April 9 ... Stiviano and Sterling got in an argument because he wanted her to sign a confidentiality agreement ... which she would not. We're told he then denied ever making the racist statements on the tape, so she played the entire tape for back him ... before it was ever posted on TMZ Sports.

Read more: www.tmz.com...

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join