It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charles Barkley on NBA: 'We are a black league. We are a black league"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

You bring up great points about the Negro League. (Anyone going to Kansas City should check out the hall of fame).
The strange thing is, with Barkley, his statement was public. I dont agree or disagree with his sentiment because the guy just talks to hear his own voice, so I have no idea what he meant.
That Stirling guy, yeah...shades of Mel Gibson there, but that wasnt a press conference. Stupid thing to say from a mind that may suffer from affluenza. I still cant believe thats in the DSM 5 (but then again, homosexuality was considered a mental illness as well for quite some time to shed a little light on credibility).

Larry Bird was making a generalization according to His perception of athlete. I disagree that the best are black. There are outstanding athletes of all colors in all sports. To say otherwise is ignoring the talent of many gifted people.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537
As a white NBA fan, who's watched the sport for a very long time, I have zero problem with what Barkley said. He was being honest and the truth of it is that the NBA is dominated by african-american players. Both by star power and by % in the league. I think people are a little too PC nowadays...

It would be nice if no one mentioned a person in terms of skin color.
Many news reports could not include mentions of race, it just fans the flames and keeps racism alive.

Remember when there were pushes to make sure there were enough 'people of color' in the front offices of the NFL?
Those pushes do more damage to human relations than the fact that more people of one color hold down a certain job than other people.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan
ignore barkley,he's as bad as sheriff Joe hogging a camera! I still can't figure out,other than the $$,why his hot babe wife would be with the pruneface anyway! Dude,even with your money,you overachieved!!

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Well the NBA is mostly black people and no amount of racism will change that. It's sort of like saying Australian football is a white man's game because not only did we create it but the majority of the players are white people.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I think the whole problem with this argument, is how these two statements came about. Think about it. Are you going to want every comment you make in private, made public? And for his original comments, that doesn't make sense to me, considering his girlfriend isn't exactly a white female to begin with.

Now, Charles, he made his comments publicly right? I'm not sure exactly how he meant his statement, but yes, it could be taken racially.

To be honest? I could care less what either one of them have to say, and think it is stupid that the media is giving this so much attention.

But hey, the reality is, all that matters is the ratings. And this crap gets them.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Barkley has been known to shoot his mouth off and have it blow up in his face before.

'see, That's Why I Hate White People'

Bundy was obviously pissed at his girlfriend and saying things out of anger. Is he a racist? I have no idea. I can't judge the man on a tape recorded by a winch that was obviously provoking him in hopes to get him to say something she could use against him.
Verbal arguments between lovers can get out of hand very quickly. I can honestly say that I have said things I didn't mean, and regretted saying in the heat of a battle before. Anyone who can say they haven't is either a liar or a Saint. I don't know any Saints these days so...

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: TritonTaranis
Basketball is a black sport tho... Don't see anything wrong with anybody stating the obvious and being truthful?

At this rate and at some point then, the NBA is going to have to require black players to take sensitivity lessons and learn about the white history of basketball before the blacks took it over.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

As a white NBA fan, who's watched the sport for a very long time, I have zero problem with what Barkley said. He was being honest and the truth of it is that the NBA is dominated by african-american players. Both by star power and by % in the league. I think people are a little too PC nowadays...

It would be nice if no one mentioned a person in terms of skin color.
Many news reports could not include mentions of race, it just fans the flames and keeps racism alive.

Remember when there were pushes to make sure there were enough 'people of color' in the front offices of the NFL?
Those pushes do more damage to human relations than the fact that more people of one color hold down a certain job than other people.

If only we could live in that world...

Barring the Packers, Damn near every owner of an NFL team is a rich white person or family. They make the call as to who to hire. Do they fall under the Equal opportunity employment act? As an employer they should. So I guess as long as they follow proper laws regarding employment, it should be a non-issue. It's a business conglomerate. A very visible one.
edit on 28-4-2014 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: TritonTaranis
Basketball is a black sport tho... Don't see anything wrong with anybody stating the obvious and being truthful?

I don't know many people with an interest in the sport other than black Americans and some wannabe black teenagers

The Asians love the ping pong

The Indians love the cricket

Although they don't have there roots as a sport in those countries they have embraced it as a national sport or cultural sport

I actually agree with you. African Americans are very good at basketball and they do make up the majority of the players. He's only stating the obvious and if white people don't like it then maybe they should spend some more time on the basketball court to counter his statement and prove him wrong.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Racism is only a symptom, of a chronic condition that plagues a minority of mankind. There are those in this world who are unwilling to let go of their pride, envy, anger, or greed. There are those in this world who are unwilling to seize a life centered on humility, kindness, joy, or generosity.

A minority of humanity is afraid to embrace unconditional love, and therefore incapable of understanding its supreme power. There are those who live out their lives in ignorance, lacking the wisdom that each is a divine spark experiencing with all others an infinite cosmic journey.

Peace on Earth.

edit on 28-4-2014 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: luciddream
a reply to: oblvion

Nice, i can use you post rating as negative control to see how many logical posters going to be rating the OP.

Its always nice when i see a post like this.

Keep watching I make accurate and smart commentary daily.

Though confirmation bias will likely play a role in your statistical analysis. How are you compensating for that BTW?

How about Irony, are you factoring that? Because my intent was how ironic this entire threads posts would be........I guessed right again.....

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock
At this rate and at some point then, the NBA is going to have to require black players to take sensitivity lessons and learn about the white history of basketball before the blacks took it over.

It's not hard to understand that Black people are very good at Basketball and do occupy a majority of the players. There are some white players also and people from other nations but Black people do produce the most NBA players and I think his statement has been taken out of context. Even some of the White looking players have African American backgrounds.
edit on 28-4-2014 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: DarknStormy

It was a joke. Sorry. Should have put LOL on the end.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock
a reply to: DarknStormy

It was a joke. Sorry. Should have put LOL on the end.

lol

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
So you take one sentence (a repeat) out of the conversation to focus on, under a microscope? At least we have the majority of Sterling's conversation to form an opinion on.

This...you... Fail!

Have you ever listened to Barkley before? He's not the most eloquent of speakers.

Give me a freaking break!!

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Daz3d-n-Confus3d
Barkley has been known to shoot his mouth off and have it blow up in his face before.

'see, That's Why I Hate White People'

Bundy was obviously pissed at his girlfriend and saying things out of anger. Is he a racist? I have no idea. I can't judge the man on a tape recorded by a winch that was obviously provoking him in hopes to get him to say something she could use against him.
Verbal arguments between lovers can get out of hand very quickly. I can honestly say that I have said things I didn't mean, and regretted saying in the heat of a battle before. Anyone who can say they haven't is either a liar or a Saint. I don't know any Saints these days so...

Epic!!!

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
In no way is Barkly saying whites aren't welcome.

'it's a black league ... it's a black league' ... sounds like exclusivity and that the white players, owners, workers aren't really considered.

We shouldn't judge people on poor choice of words, we should judge them on there intent.

Agreed. So why aren't white people given the same consideration?

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
The amount of white nationalist on this website is starting to rival that of stormfront and godlike creations.
Its hilarious to me how you all come out of the wood work.
Sure you dont outright say it but the condemnation shows the bitterness of many.
Donald sterling speaks of his atheletes like livestock on a modern day plantation.
Sorry if that hurts any feelings.
Recently someone posted a thread asking why minorities are so sensitive.
Well Donald sterling is one of those reasons..a billionaire employer that tries to evict minorities from
His properties. That runs in circles with people of similar wealth and power that look at minorities like animals not to be associated with. Im not for or against white as im for humanity as one but when you have pockets of white people that control the top wealth and with it the jobs that come with it there is reason for the sensitivity.
An anti gay or anti jewish comment gets people crucified while racism is protected and fought against with "they're using the card"...say that to a jewish person nect time you seig heil in front of them.
I am not black but I for one am truly happy that racism is starting to be treated just like anti semitic garbage.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   

I see that you are a hockey fan, but do you follow the NBA pretty close? I honestly believe that you are blowing these comments way out of proportion.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

but do you follow the NBA pretty close?

Nope. I think it's pretty dang boring.

I honestly believe that you are blowing these comments way out of proportion.

That's fine. You can think that. My question remains ... Why is it okay for Jay Z and Charles Barkley to say things like this in public but the white guy gets jumped on for a private conversation. Feel free to address the topic ...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join