It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charles Barkley on NBA: 'We are a black league. We are a black league"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

And Harlem is a black neighborhood. That doesn't mean that whites aren't allowed or excluded or "less than".
Rap is a black music genre. That doesn't mean that Eminem and the Beastie Boys are excluded or unliked.
The NHL is a white league...
Nursing is a woman's profession...
Fighter Pilots is a man's profession...

It's just a harmless generalization and taken in context (where he JUST mentioned the majority is black) it's clear he's not being racist.

Stirling's statements were entirely different.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: jhn7537
but do you follow the NBA pretty close?

Nope. I think it's pretty dang boring.

I honestly believe that you are blowing these comments way out of proportion.

That's fine. You can think that. My question remains ... Why is it okay for Jay Z and Charles Barkley to say things like this in public but the white guy gets jumped on for a private conversation. Feel free to address the topic ...

Can you honestly not see a difference between what Donald Sterling said and what Charles Barkley said? Because I understand what Barkley was saying, and as a Caucasian NBA fan I agree with him and not offended one bit. Black basketball players dominate the league (and it's not even close and hasn't been close for a long time). They are the highest % race in the league (by far) they are also the best athletes and players in the league. Just go look at the top 20 scorers in the NBA playoffs right now, 18 of the top 20 are African American. Barkley has never been PC and he always speaks his mind, and nothing he said was wrong. The league is black, there is no disputing that. But what Donald Sterling said wasn't right in any shape or form. So, I see a difference between the two, but I guess others do not.
edit on 28-4-2014 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
This white guy says that golf is predominantly white. Charles proves it:

Now that im done laughing I can write. This is a new thing. Golf was played on private courses in country clubs where the only black people with white gloves were delivering a steak dinner to a table for the longest time.
But with black professional athletes being celebrities and having some cash to bet on holes... (yeah, I'm talking about you, Michael Jordan). The game opened up as the courses and clubs relaxed their rules in order to gain bragging rights that Whoever Jones, the awesome whatever player, golfed there...but he's one of the "good ones".
Man, I'm starting to think that Trading Places was a documentary in the guise of a comedy.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
This is such a stupid non issue. So some white rich guy said he doesn't want his whoring lying stealing Asian gf bringing her black mandingos to his NBA games. So what? There are racist people in the world. Said rich white guy is a sell out anyways. I mean what a moron. Here he is making millions of the same people he doesn't want coming to his games? WTF? I quit watching the NBA decades ago. I'm an athletic middle class white guy. I'll never take my kids or spend my hard earned money on another NBA game let alone probably another professional sport. The NBA is a bunch of ghetto thugs for the most part. Maybe that is because it is a "black league". Now am I a racist? LOL……I could care less. I see how those idiots act on and off the court. Yeah there might be the token few NBA players black or white that are good peeps etc. But NBA has been infiltrated by black culture i.e. thuggish gangster ghetto attitudes. Same thing with college basketball. I mean even the white athletes are thuggish ruggish wannabe gangsters at most D1 BBALL schools. Blacks will never understand because it will always be a "black thang". Look at people like Oprah. She has turn on the whole "black thang" every once in a while with her ebonics "yo go sista" or "you go girl". Even the President and his wife have to turn on their blackness with a few fist bumps here and there.

America is becoming "No Country For Middle Class White Males". LOL.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
"Had my name been Vinny Del Blanco, I might have still had a job"

-Vinny Del Negro

(you need to follow the NBA to understand
)
edit on 28-4-2014 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537
Can you honestly not see a difference between what Donald Sterling said and what Charles Barkley said? .

Sure .. here you go ....

Donald Sterling - private conversation in which his very bigoted views came shining forth. They happened when provoked by a girl friend who was rubbing her conquests with black men in his face. She's now being sued for allegedly stealing 2 million from his family.

Charles Barkley - public statement that probably meant to say that black people are predominant in the sport BUT instead he used the words that sound very much like he's dismissing the 23% non-black players as well as the non-black owners and workers.

JayZ - Nets owner who wears anti-white bling in public and is photographed with it on numerous occasions.

There ya' go.

I asked the question .... were his comments racist or not?
And the answer seems to be that people will see it which ever way they want.
And I"m seeing the usual people dismissing the statement as non racist,
And I'm seeing the usual people saying that it IS racist.

So ... no surprises.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

You're stretching, friend, and its not good.

You are injecting a lot of personal feelings into Barkley's comments.

Like I said before, there is NOTHING negative about what Barkley said.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

You know that Jay Z was forced to sell his shares of the Brooklyn Nets so he could become a sports agent? He isn't an owner anymore. So how does that compare to Donald Sterling? He is a rapper/sports agent and the other is an owner in the NBA.

Forbes.com
edi t on 28-4-2014 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots
You're stretching, friend, and its not good.

Read the post above this one of yours. I'm not stretching.
I asked probing questions.

You are injecting a lot of personal feelings into Barkley's comments.

Nope.

Like I said before, there is NOTHING negative about what Barkley said.

Like I said before, you are welcome to see it that way.
Others see it differently.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

You're asking probing questions about Jay Z, who isnt even affiliated with the NBA anymore.

As opposed to simply saying "youre welcome to see it that way" to the everyone answering your 'probing questions', why dont you explain what you think is so negative about a former player defending the league he played in against racist comments made by an owner by speaking of the demographic of the league.

Where is the negativity?

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: oblvion

you forgot:

you're a racist, and it's Bush's fault

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

why dont you explain what you think is so negative about a former player defending the league he played in against racist comments made by an owner by speaking of the demographic of the league.

There is nothing negative about Charles Barkley wanting to defend the league against racist comments ... unless he made one of his own. That's the question .... was he speaking about the demographics or was he saying it was a 'black league, a black league' as in exclusivity? Like when Mayor Ray Nagin of New Orleans said New Orleans was a 'Chocolate Town'. It was dismissive of the non-black people. Is that demographics or is it making a statement of which race runs things etc etc.

Since you obviously musta' missed it ... here ya' go ... this is what I said

Donald Sterling - private conversation in which his very bigoted views came shining forth. They happened when provoked by a girl friend who was rubbing her conquests with black men in his face. She's now being sued for allegedly stealing 2 million from his family.

Charles Barkley - public statement that probably meant to say that black people are predominant in the sport BUT instead he used the words that sound very much like he's dismissing the 23% non-black players as well as the non-black owners and workers.

edit on 4/28/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Well it was a racist comment.
Yes there`s a double standard.
Jay-Z is talentless who cares.

BTW, Liberals don`t think racism is exclusives to whites.
Stop trying to put words in the mouths of liberals if you aren`t one.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
It's just a harmless generalization and taken in context (where he JUST mentioned the majority is black) it's clear he's not being racist.

Still, public figures shouldn`t talk like that.
We need standards, not double standards.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

I didnt miss a thing. Why are you dancing around it. It is quite clear that you think there was something wrong with what Barkley said. Why?

Right here, again, proves that you are injecting your own, personal feelings into this. "her conquests"? Do you know this for a fact? Nope. But you feel the need to use it in your description...why?

More personal feelings injected. "Probably meant"? Theres no question what he meant. It was part of a larger conversation speaking to the statements Sterling made. In context, there was no question what he was saying.

So why dont you come out and tell us your REAL feelings on it, instead of dancing around?

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: theMediator

These are ex-athletes, it's not like Charles Barkley went to broadcasting school after his days in the NBA to learn the do's and dont's of being on TV. This is Charles and this is why he is on TV, its because he says what's on his mind and never cares for the PC crowd.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: theMediator

Speaking about the demographic of the league does not make it a double standard. He didnt say ANYTHING negative about anyone (outside of sterling). Sterling said, flat out, that he didnt want her bringing black people to his games.

You REALLY dont see the difference?

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

"Probably meant"? Theres no question what he meant.

Yes there is a question. Not everyone agrees on what his meaning was.
What is clear to you is also clear to someone else, in the opposite direction.

So why dont you come out and tell us your REAL feelings on it, instead of dancing around?

Asked and answered. Twice in the past few pages.
Oh ... and sorry, I'm out of troll food.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I made a comment the other night about how every commercial now has a token basketball player in it for no reason at all, lol. I believe in freedom of speech for everyone including racists of every color. If others are going to catch public criticism for remarks they make about race I suppose they should string him up too.

"We're a black league" ? ? ? ? I don't get that remark from any angle.
I suppose the oxygen must be very thin up at those heights.
edit on 28-4-2014 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Yes there is a question. Not everyone agrees on what his meaning was. What is clear to you is also clear to someone else, in the opposite direction.
Theres no question what he meant. Hes been talking about it all weekend. Choosing to ignore context does not justify trying to change it.

Asked and answered. Twice in the past few pages. Oh ... and sorry, I'm out of troll food.
What a bunch of garbage. To think, I used to respect you as a poster, but this is flat out trolling on your part.

Pathetic.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join