It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charles Barkley on NBA: 'We are a black league. We are a black league"

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Man, the white whiners and their outrage machine here at ATS are at it again.

First off, OP, you didn't give Barkley's full quote, it was: "We cannot have an NBA owner discriminating against a league that... -- We're a black league, Ernie, we are a black league -- I don't know the number, but I'd say probably 80% of our players are black". And you yourself corroborate this by giving the statistic that it is 78% black. Also you Caucasian race baiters take his statement out of context. His point is that in a league that is 78-80% black, which does make it predominantly a black league; hence, there is no room for team owners with this sort of mentality. He is NOT saying "The NBA is an all-black league and nobody else belongs there" or "only blacks can make it in the NBA" or some other such thing.

But once again we got white folk here at ATS who want to take a short quote by a minority person out of context in order to indirectly defend some very repugnant thing said by a rich white person. When there is an obvious and very public case of a person making racist remarks, such as Sterling's, and then people try to downplay it or deflect from it by conflating the remarks of others -- taken out of context, no less -- it just smacks of the desperate actions and rhetoric of crypto racists, which it obviously is.

Very sad and shameful, but not at all surprising given what I see here so very often.
edit on 28-4-2014 by MrInquisitive because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: BobAthome
a reply to: captaintyinknots

i cant change the title, or i would have,, but if u wish too comment,, then how about the part where mom says,,

" he's normal behaving,,??????????? "

and she obviuosly watched the VIDEO RIGHT?,, but ya,, ok. normal it is.
Dont get me wrong, Im not blaming you for the title. Do you not think that the title is indicative of something, though? Do you not think there was a REASON that the title points out that the kid is black? Does it escape your notice?

As for the mom, crappy parents come in all shapes sizes and colors. Ive seen more of it than anyone should have to in a lifetime (i worked in a middle school classroom called a brc-basically, a room where they stick all the kids that have been labelled 'bad' for one reason or another).
edit on 28-4-2014 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: MrInquisitive

Please, dont include all white people, not all of us are that way.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Justice?? Justice for who??

Everyone is free in the US and minorities can go to college for free! I can't. Should I be mad that my Irish ancestors were slaves too? I bet you didn't know about all the Irish, and other people enslaved, do you(just assuming)?

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: InvisibleOwl

1. Barkley was an idiot for saying this. No question about it.
Why? What about pointing out the fact that the league is almost 80% black is idiotic? Please, explain. This should be good.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Not that, but the way he said it ... "We are a black league." Very dumb.

The complete quote gives more context and makes it less stupid, but he still worded in a way that opened him up to silly threads like this one.
edit on 28-4-2014 by InvisibleOwl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots

I'm Caucasian too. In no way did I imply that all whites are this way; rereading my post, I see nothing that suggests this. What I am saying is that the people who attempt to make this argument about what Barkley said are this way, and I am purdee sure that most all of them are white -- either that or they're self-loathing minorities.

And obviously Damian Lillard is a thug because he is wearing a hoodie in that video. He must get all hopped up on skittles and Mtn Dew and menace predominantly white neighborhoods in PDX. /sarcasm
edit on 28-4-2014 by MrInquisitive because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: InvisibleOwl

Not that, but the way he said it ... "We are a black league." Very dumb.
only when you single out that single fraction of a sentence. When you listne to the entire thing, its makes perfect sense, and is not idiotic. It is right on.

Thats the biggest problem with threads like these....Op's take a fraction of a sentence and present it completely out of context. Its trolling at its finest.

The entire quote reads as follows:

"We cannot have an NBA owner discriminating against a league that... -- We're a black league, Ernie, we are a black league -- I don't know the number, but I'd say probably 80% of our players are black"

Unfortunately, people like the OP have to distort the truth to try and make a point.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

I agree with; thus my second sentence above. But Barkley should have chosen his words more carefully, though that is tough to do sometimes. You and I are in agreement here

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrInquisitive

I'm Caucasian too. In no way did I imply that all whites are this way. What I am saying is that the people who attempt to make this argument about what Barkley said are this way, and I am purdee sure that most all of them are white.
Fair enough, I just wanted to be clear that we were on the same page....

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Man, the white whiners and their outrage machine here at ATS are at it again.

First off, OP, you didn't give Barkley's full quote, it was: "We cannot have an NBA owner discriminating against a league that... -- We're a black league, Ernie, we are a black league -- I don't know the number, but I'd say probably 80% of our players are black". And you yourself corroborate this by giving the statistic that it is 78% black. Also you Caucasian race baiters take his statement out of context. His point is that in a league that is 78-80% black, which does make it predominantly a black league; hence, there is no room for team owners with this sort of mentality. He is NOT saying "The NBA is an all-black league and nobody else belongs there" or "only blacks can make it in the NBA" or some other such thing.

But once again we got white folk here at ATS who want to take a short quote by a minority person out of context in order to indirectly defend some very repugnant thing said by a rich white person. When there is an obvious and very public case of a person making racist remarks, such as Sterling's, and then people try to downplay it or deflect from it by conflating the remarks of others -- taken out of context, no less -- it just smacks of the desperate actions and rhetoric of crypto racists, which it obviously is.

Very sad and shameful, but not at all surprising given what I see here so very often.

This here is what we call a Grenada (Wolf of Wall Street)... When you look at Barkley's quote in its entirety you can quickly see that the OP left out some really important parts....

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
a reply to: FlyersFan

I have no problem with this. He is not discriminating against anyone, he is just saying the facts.

Larry Bird (whom is white) agrees with him.

Well, I think so," said Bird, the Indiana Pacers' president of basketball operations. "You know, when I played, you had me and Kevin [McHale] and some others throughout the league. I think it's good for a fan base because, as we all know, the majority of the fans are white America. And if you just had a couple of white guys in there, you might get them a little excited. But it is a black man's game, and it will be forever. I mean, the greatest athletes in the world are African-American."

sports.espn.go.com...

A white nba owner allegedly made disparaging remarks about black men, why is it unfair for someone to point out the hypocrisy of that given that the majority of players are black? We shouldn't allow the pc police to make us avoid saying factual things because it might hurt someones feelings.

It can be 100% afro-americans playing and the sport of basketball will still be considered a white man's sport because it was created by white men and the logo is Jerry West, a white man. Black men wearing a white man logo and playing a sport invented by white men.... it works. Throw'em a ball ... better then selling crack and shooting people

U mad bro?

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

He said it was a Black League....that offends me....a person that is not at all easily offended...
I have heard MANY people say things like "Basketball is a black sport"....we all have...and that doesn't offend me.
It is when people that matter say these racist things, that offends.....

Barkley was wrong with what he said...only a self loathing liberal would disagree. I won't give the racist owner a pass and I'm not going to give Barkley a pass.......( I like Barkley and know he can say some stupid stuff, this just happens to be one of those times).........I will conclude that those people that side with Barkley are fanning the flames of racism because they have chosen a side rather than call all racism out...Barkley needs to apologize.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Res Ipsa

This is racist?

"We cannot have an NBA owner discriminating against a league that... -- We're a black league, Ernie, we are a black league -- I don't know the number, but I'd say probably 80% of our players are black"

link   
a reply to: Res IpsaPlease, go back and read the actual quote.

There is nothing offensive about pointing out the demographic of the league.

Its like some people are trying, really hard, to be offended by this. Why would that be?

This thread is an embarrassment to ATS.

link   
I don't pull the racism card unless a persons view of another race is undeniably negative. Simply mentioning race isn't enough to do it.

Sterling called blacks "the enemy", he didn't like that his girl was seen with a black man. and he didn't want blacks at his games among other things. He has a clear negative view of blacks. Being seen with a black person is enough to ruin a person in his mind, even if that black guy happens to be the legendary and widely respected Magic Johnson.

Barkley never directed anything negative toward non blacks. He didn't say they can't play, and he wouldn't be seen with them. He never disparaged anyone, all he did was attempt to point out that basketball is mostly blacks, and it is.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I'm Caucasian too. In no way did I imply that all whites are this way. What I am saying is that the people who attempt to make this argument about what Barkley said are this way, and I am purdee sure that most all of them are white.
Fair enough, I just wanted to be clear that we were on the same page....
point being... it will never be a black league, idc how many black dudes can dribble and shoot... they're just doing their best white man's impression. Before they saw how a basketball bounces they were busy trying to figure how to bag white man's groceries and getting sprayed with fire hoses.

Byrd saying it's a black man's league is saying that because he's playing media politics... Barkeley's wrong and he should feel privileged we gave his people a chance to entertain white america.

you 'mirin, brah?

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: MikhailBakunin

I think the frathouse is missing a fool....

'Brah'

Call it a white mans game all you want. Who's getting paid millions (by the time he's done, lebron will be in the billions) to play it?

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

who's signing their checks?

Who owns the banks lebron runs to for his money?

What color are the people who created those fancy cars he drives to the bank?

Who's making money off of Lebron's name for simply using his natural abilities?

I'd be hard pressed to find the answer to any of these answers that own this black man's world to be an afro-merican

edit on 28-4-2014 by MikhailBakunin because: BAM

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: MikhailBakunin

I get it. You think the white man runs the world (and they probably do). What, in the hell, does that have to do with this topic?

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join