It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Okay My Fellow Survivalists... Vegetarian or Meat Eater... Which Would You Be?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Vegetarian or Meat Eater... Which Would You Be?

30 years ago I would not be asking that question as I was an avid hunter. I still support hunting, but after the Marines and my years as a cop, I am very uncomfortable with thoughts of killing..

Now this IS NOT a do or die question as we will all do what we have to do to preserve our and our families lives.

This is more a "Bushcrafting" question for when you are settled in a decent perm or semi-perm camp, plenty of firewood, shelter, good water and more..

Do you concentrate on making animal traps and hunting or do you begin to garden and/or look for wild edibles?

Now I know the pat answer is you do both, but for the sake of this thread, let's pretend we need to concentrate on one or the other..

OKAY?

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Omnomnominovore. Hunting and gathering was the way to go for hundreds of thousands of years. Probably good to stick with the tried and true.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

I know you don't want this answer, but, both.

Your body needs both meat and veggies. I already have a kick butt garden and I'm a hunter, so I'm eatin' both.

My biggest problem? WHAT ABOUT THE BEER????

Gotta look into that!

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Being this is the "survival forum", my answer is BOTH!!!

Why is it in this day and age that we have to even be "SEPARATED" by the choice of food we eat anyways???

Divide and conquer maybe?

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Since I have to choose one, it's going to have to be meat. I have a hard time with killing as well, but with the health problem's I have, I need to go with the most protein.

I'll do what I have to do.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I like to stuff my meet with veggies so both

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Depending on location, i would plant some veggies and set traps around the garden to prevent pests from eating my harvest.

Plants dont require a lot of care, just water and sun.

I would hunt because there is not another good way to get protein in the wild, and that will be a major factor of long term survival.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

I'll Bite!

If I had to choose between the two I would concentrate on hunting. Reason being is that not only are you going to get protien for energy, you also get pelts, If you were crafty enough you could make some sinue (sorry forgot how to spell it). To me that would be the more logical one to choose.

Thanks for the thread!

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
"BOTH" is such an easy answer

Come on...

I expect better from you guys

As for us needing meat..

Naw.. I can show you many studies that show we do not as well as MANY Survivalists that have not eaten meat in years..

So COME ON NOW

Let's not close ourselves off and let's examine this

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

First, I would consider what natural resources were available to me based up my geographical location and what the seasons are like. For example, if I lived by a large body of water that had plenty of fish that might make the most sense to harvest them for food via spearing, netting or fishing with a hook and line. That wouldn't expend a great deal of energy if I were in survival mode. I've often heard that foraging berries and vegetation is easier and more efficient than trying to trap and/or shoot or use a bow and arrow for hunting big game. Of course I would need to consider how I would store meat versus vegetables and berries. I would say for me I'd go vegetarian mode for the simple fact that it wouldn't require as much physical labor. Not saying I wouldn't crave venison steak every now and then, though.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Now I know the pat answer is you do both, but for the sake of this thread, let's pretend we need to concentrate on one or the other..

Well put.

Do you concentrate on making animal traps and hunting or do you begin to garden and/or look for wild edibles?

I would spend time hunting and making traps and thinking of smarter ways to get the most essential yet hardest to find item......FAT content.

Thinking about it,a garden is a good way to bring in more animals looking for food so like you said both.
Sorry but you just gave me another idea for more meat.

The short answer for me is meat because of the fat.
edit on 21-1-2014 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

I suppose the way to look at it (my view) is which is there more of? If you go hunting, at some point, you'll have killed what's probably within camp reach, and would mean venturing out into other territories to find more to hunt.
On the other hand, most vegetables and other edibles take months to grow, so once you've harvested what is around you, it's start from scratch time again, and a long wait.

Hmm, not sure. If you could contain a pair of animals for breeding purposes, that might solve the meat problem. Then alternate foods during slow growing periods for the veggies.

But if I had to choose just one. It would be meat.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
The downsides of meat in the wild are many and severe.
one you have parasites
secondly you can get injured by the animal or while hunting it
Third It takes a lot of energy and time to track and catch an animal
Pro meat: its tasty.
With a good system of root cellars one could have ample supply of vegetables all winter._
edit on 21-1-2014 by dashen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Truth is we dont need meat per say. But the protein that is in the meat.

I guess we could grow nuts for protein. Fruits for simple sugars and greens for fiber.

It would have to be a pretty serious garden to do all that.

The one thing i have learned is that survival takes some skill.

We all should practice from both ends of the spectrum though.

link   
Meat. Specifically, fish.

More protein per pound than leafy greens!

link   
what food group does a double barrel shotgun come under?

bothbarrelsBox

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I wouldn't be able to eat too many rabbits without fat content....its called rabbit starvation or protein poisoning.
en.wikipedia.org...
Just had to reply to a rabbit.
mmmmmm tasty.

edit on 21-1-2014 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
The bigger question here is - would it matter? When it comes to survival in a SHTF scenario, one could eat anything that fills your stomach and doesn't kill you.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

yeah hes well fat now , been at my teats for the last month

funBox

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Combination of gardening and fishing here .

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join