It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Okay My Fellow Survivalists... Vegetarian or Meat Eater... Which Would You Be?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

DrumsRfun
reply to post by beezzer

I wouldn't be able to eat too many rabbits without fat content....its called rabbit starvation or protein poisoning.
en.wikipedia.org...
Just had to reply to a rabbit.
mmmmmm tasty.

edit on 21-1-2014 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

Good point about the protein poisoning. a person can also die from vitamin A poisoning from consuming too much bear meat or liver
Any overly lean meat robs your body of more resources to digest it then you actually pull out of it

D

edit on 21-1-2014 by dashen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Vegetarian.

If we're rebooting society in a survivalist situation, we should look at instilling that society with the morality that can sustain it indefinitely.

For too long humans have (generally) each valued their own lives above the lives of everything else on the planet. If we want a better happier tomorrow, it's time we flipped that around.

As custodians of this planet, if we get the chance at a complete mulligan we should first start over by fulfilling our role as guardians of the lifeforms around us. That means sustaining and preserving and protecting them, not destroying and exploiting them for transient short-term gain.

Sustaining my own personal existence for X additional days via the meat I'd consume from a kill is not worth robbing an animal of X additional years of its life. No matter how you look at it, that equation simply does not balance.

(That's my .02--YMMV, and I completely respect that.)
edit on 21-1-2014 by therealguyfawkes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Animals(fresh, canned, wouldn't matter)
Vegetables(fresh, canned, wouldn't matter)

When those ran out:

Humans

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I choose not to choose. If you choose vegetarian, you may become B12 deficient. The only way to keep this from happening is to not wash the veggies, as b12 does exist on the outside of plants. Especially on root veggies.

I see what eating meat with little veggies does to people's minds. They get to thinking a certain way. Their perception gets changed, I wouldn't want to turn that way, I have even experienced this feeling in the past when I ate lots of meats. Breads do not help this, it has to be some veggies to help you think more diversely. Onions do help a bit, but then again that is a veggie. Fish is the easiest to digest of the meats and has the least doping qualities. Red meats and chicken contain lots of natural beta blockers.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

As a veteran who has seen active duty, I have nothing against hunting. Sometimes it can be difficult, as you know some days are rougher than others. But when it comes to survivalism, the way I see it is that I survived my ordeal and I won't let that ordeal be my downfall. If I need meat, I'll acquire meat. But I'll gladly eat whatever will cost me less energy to get my hands on.

But we're all different, so what works for me may not work for you.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Now I know the pat answer is you do both, but for the sake of this thread, let's pretend we need to concentrate on one or the other.. OKAY?

Ehm, does the sake of this thread serve any educational or other kind of purpose that has added value to the survival forum?

Why not add some zombies into the equation anyway?

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Well unless your going to let me raise chickens and just eat the eggs, I have to go with meat.
Unless by then my problem swings the other way, then I will be diabetic, then maybe I can survive on veggies.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ProdigalSonofa

It serves for discussion that hopefully we might learn something off each other's posts.
Any thing to add??

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Ehm, does the sake of this thread serve any educational or other kind of purpose that has added value to the survival forum?

Yes

It does

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

For sure.

If anyone sees a skinny chick running at them with a 20 ga shotgun, run...

I will eat you.

edit on 21-1-2014 by OrphanApology because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Cool, I guess I'll see it when the transformation has occured.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Oh it has already occurred and is happening as we speak, hope you did not miss it...

People are thinking, commenting and sharing

EVERYTHING ATS is about

Now

Back on topic

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Depending on the type of calamity that causes complete societal breakdown and a need to fend for oneself by any means possible, I think I'm going to join up with one of the roving bands of cannibals. For a little while, anyway, the most abundant meat available is going to be that of my fellow humans, and preying on them (particularly the young and weak) and eating them will probably be the best way to go.

If things really get bad, then you're either going to be predator or prey. And you always see in the various zombie and end of the world movies that the hero has to avoid roving bands of cannibals. There are always a lot more cannibals than heroes, so I think the choice is obvious.

Besides, I have read that people taste a lot like pork, so I can deal with that.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Gardener/fisher/forager here. Mostly veggies - maybe some small animal protein from squirrels and fat breasted birds. It would be difficult for me, personally, to kill anything larger than that - but I have never known real life threatening hunger so I couldn't say I wouldn't ever kill anything larger than that for survival. Plus - tracking animals takes a lot of calories - when you're having to manage a calorie economy it may prove not worth it in most cases.

I do love the foraging knowledge though - SO much food just growing wild that people can look right at and not know.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

DrumsRfun

It serves for discussion that hopefully we might learn something off each other's posts.
Any thing to add??

The most logical and natural thing to do in a survival situation is to eat what ever you can get your hands on, I don't see a need to pretend that I would have to choose between two sorts of food when you would die without the both of them in the long run.

Off course there is value in replies that contain survival/bushcraft information, I just don't see the particular point in the premise of this thread.
edit on 21-1-2014 by ProdigalSonofa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

My wife is gonna be pissed, I think I just fell in love with you!

OT, I'll stay with meat.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

Double post.
edit on 21-1-2014 by KawRider9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Off course there is value in replies that contain survival/bushcraft information, I just don't see the particular point in the premise of this thread.

Then don't post

But PLEASE allow those interested the ability to do so

Thank you

Semper

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
In a SHTF scenario, most are going to be on the move, so hunter/gatherer is the only way to go. You will eat whatever is safe, and whatever fills your belly. Sorry OP, no easy answer on this one.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join