It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minimal threads seem to be getting more frequent

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
The amount of minimal threads on ATS just seems to be getting worse and worse by the day right now.

they tend to read like this :

Heres something interesting i found, what do you think ATS?

Insert any link here

or

I saw this, what do you think ATS?

Insert short quote from site here

Insert any link here

I hate to see the standards drop on this site. I know someone is going to say "well use the alert button" , well ive tried that a few times and nothing ever seems to be done about it.

If the rules have changed and minimal posts are now the accepted norm then ill just shut up and go with it but personally i think a poster should have to write more than a single sentence to make up a thread.

edit on 6-12-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I agree.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Disagr

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Ats has fallen quite far. Maybe I'll come back in the next cycle. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that
people's attention spans have taken a beating by smart phones. Could be my last post because ATS has deleted the last 4 threads I have posted in.

Really people don't care about discussions, they are only lonely. They want to be recognized as bringing in information as quickly as possible. They only need attention and facebook isn't enough. Are they even capable of thought, let alone critical thought, let alone complex opinions supporting different aspects of opposing sides???

Not really.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

Those are wise words Dustytoad. Great analysis of the problem.

Its my theory that short OP's make for short replies which in turn make for shallow discussions.

edit on 6-12-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Yes, I've been noticing it, too.

Posts are not getting as many replies generally, either.

There is an entropic situation possibly at hand.

It is apathy! Don't let ATS slide in its standards.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Mobile users....

"I am on my phone right now so I can't really write in detail but....."

See that all the time. And it **** me off.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Threads come and go, so do trends, fads.

So do members. Remember, this site is member-generated.

Post in-depth thought-provoking threads and start your own trend.

I've been here 3 years. Still a junior as far as I'm concerned, but have seen awesome threads and *meh* threads.

When I see the *meh* threads, I usually do some homework and start a controversial thread (I like hitting hornet nests with sticks) and stir the pot!

Just my two ameros

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
The language is getting rougher too. I reported someone who used the "F" word this morning. Nothing was done.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Dustytoad

They want to be recognized as bringing in information as quickly as possible.

I actually like this feature as your constantly being briefed.
Usually there's a few good threads a day, but yeah,...Society continues to deteriorate.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Dustytoad

Ats has fallen quite far. Maybe I'll come back in the next cycle. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that
people's attention spans have taken a beating by smart phones. Could be my last post because ATS has deleted the last 4 threads I have posted in.

Really people don't care about discussions, they are only lonely. They want to be recognized as bringing in information as quickly as possible. They only need attention and facebook isn't enough. Are they even capable of thought, let alone critical thought, let alone complex opinions supporting different aspects of opposing sides???
I
Not really.

So what were the post about that got deleted. I can only imagine it must have been pretty bad subject to get deleted. I have not seen to much that was out of bounds. Of course if someone started talking taboo subject well there are irc places you can go for that. I would like to know what the thread and post was about.

Beezy, beezy, beezy, you post something controversial or spoke the flames and get feathers ruffled, I don't believe it, lol haha, yep that is Beezlebub lol......

The Bot

P. S. Yes I think the short threads are problem. Not the comments, that could be one word answers but the thread op must be proper. Many can't watch video and it is annoying when people don't properly explain the video. That way even if you can't watch you can still talk about it........
edit on 6-12-2013 by dlbott because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Yes, what the person who starts the thread says is MUCH MUCH more important than the content of whatever it is they are trying to share. Internet people are some of the most intelligent, honest, and clever people I know; why would I even bother what is reading in their link when they are so intelligent that I don't have to think?

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   

I've tried to fight it. Remind people and all you get is the the standard
very drow " Are you a mod ?" ignorance defined.
In fact this thread isn't long enough either, but SnF
for the reminder.
edit on 6-12-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
When i joined, you were'nt allowed a one line reply.
People used to post one line and the second line was "second line" to get around it.
It pushed you to think of a decent reply, not just a one-liner.
But i do see less moderator actions in threads, i.e. removing one liners, off topic posts.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SecretKnowledge

I forget to mention that one thing I see allot are dupe threads posted about the same thing at the same time, before you know it the subject is covered twice. I thing mods should just merge them and give both ops credit . I think this would be very helpful......

The Bot

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Sometimes a minimal thread is all that is needed a quick "this is what has happened" type of thread or "this youtube video explains it all" kind of thing. But when these type of threads start to takeover, as they seem to be, then we have a problem.

I have been talking about this for ages, things are getting really bad and I think its a lot more than some of the old hands complaining about the good old days of ATS, its much more than that.

ATS is sliding down hill, the quality of threads has taken a massive knock and good threads just go unnoticed.

At the risk of encoring the wrath of the mods, this is my take on the problem

I would say that its ultimately the members fault. For every one "good" member who writes really good threads and posts, who sticks to the T&C's and so on, there seems to be 10 morons who have nothing better to do but bitch and moan, derail threads, get nasty, write utter rubbish and are basically just crappy members.

Nothing more annoying than writing up a well thought out thread or post only to have some douche write something utterly stupid in response. Or writing up a huge in depth thread full of research only for it to go unnoticed because everyone else is to busy talking about the latest ATS prediction, a Martian rock, taking part in one of those writing contests, having a utterly stupid argument or commenting for a place on ATS Live.

This place is being over run with idiots.

The owners dont want to know, they seem unwilling to take steps to fix the problem (i have made suggestions), they are happy so long as they maintain traffic and as far as i can see are ignoring the problem. You can bet one of them will turn on onto this thread and link you to a 2 or 3 threads in the last month that have been half decent, as if that is a good thing. I can understand this, ATS is their baby, admitting that its sick and standards are slipping is hard to face up to.

The fact is that the quality of the threads and posts on ATS is just as low these days as Twitter or Facebook, its turning into the comments section of YouTube.
edit on 6-12-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Maybe some posters should make a point of bumping one of the great threads from the past into the stream every few days. Then we'd have a look at the good threads while at the same time seeing if anyone has updates or new data to add to them.

As for the problem of the short OP's with little information sometimes, blame the smart phones, twitter, facebook, and the 12 minute TV shows. Except for the Eric Andre Show. Don't blame the Eric Andre Show. I loves me some Hannibal.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   

dlbott

So what were the post about that got deleted. I can only imagine it must have been pretty bad subject to get deleted. I have not seen to much that was out of bounds. Of course if someone started talking taboo subject well there are irc places you can go for that. I would like to know what the thread and post was about.

A thread a lot like this one was deleted about 2 hours ago. I don't post threads it wasn't mine, but I think the difference was that it had 7 flags in about 5 minutes. Nothing against the rules. It was a little more critical of ATS directly, but that's not for this topic, as I don't want another one closed.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Well let's say that I agree with you that many of the good threads are falling to the wayside. I think I know why some of it happens. I enjoy on a tablet that makes some things difficult, like responding and typing intelligent responses or navigating lol. As part of using tablet i almost exclusively use recent posts to use the site. This is just easier to navigate but it could be why I only see moronic threads and not good ones. It only shows what was recently posted and the i tend to concentrate on that page of posts.

If mods made it so some posts were sticky and showed even for recent searches that would solve some of these issues.

On the other side of your coin lol, some morons are someone's wife or husband, and some of their subjects must be interesting to other morons lol....

There the other side lol, sorry could not help myself.

The Bot

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Dustytoad

dlbott

A thread a lot like this one was deleted about 2 hours ago. I don't post threads it wasn't mine, but I think the difference was that it had 7 flags in about 5 minutes. Nothing against the rules. It was a little more critical of ATS directly, but that's not for this topic, as I don't want another one closed.

Well that would be for the owner to police mods that might delete threads. I can't see them deleting threads just because they are critical but I would like to hear some clarification from owner about this. Of course I would not condone someone just berating my site for personal reasons etc or just to be mean etc.

But to delete threads because they are constructively critical i doubt that is true. Just don't see it.

The Bot

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join