It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minimal threads seem to be getting more frequent

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

SecretKnowledge
When i joined, you were'nt allowed a one line reply.
People used to post one line and the second line was "second line" to get around it.
It pushed you to think of a decent reply, not just a one-liner.
But i do see less moderator actions in threads, i.e. removing one liners, off topic posts.

The funniest part about that is, "second line" had no use or meaning. If the mods wanted to address it, they would. For awhile, they did. But the wave of morons who actually thought "second line" skirted a rule was so large that it became unenforcable.

LOL...i have an ATS hack. Just type "Second line" and the mods won't notice.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   

dlbott

Well that would be for the owner to police mods that might delete threads. I can't see them deleting threads just because they are critical but I would like to hear some clarification from owner about this. Of course I would not condone someone just berating my site for personal reasons etc or just to be mean etc.

But to delete threads because they are constructively critical i doubt that is true. Just don't see it.

The Bot

You can doubt the truth, but it won't change the fact. I described it as it was. There were no personal reasons. I can't repeat it here, but I'll tell you u2u. This topic should stay up.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Rather depends what the thread is about.

I for one (and it does seem like I'm in a minority of one) welcome minimal OPs.

If I'm to participate in a discussion, I need to know quickly what is being discussed.

Why quickly?

Because I have neither the attention span, nor the interest, to read a book-length post with several videos that I have to watch. Just tell me the bare bones...details can be filled in later.

A lot of it is presentation...or lack of it.

I ignore the majority of threads precisely because the OP isn't concise and snappy enough.

I can't be arsed reading it.

It's like reading a new book - the beginning is very important, because if it doesn't grab you from the get-go, you probably wont bother reading it.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

i agree PhoenixOD when i first started threads i couldnt put my words down so my threads
were short but i do try to better them each time i make a thread.

if only i could write down what im thinking i could do some good threads but i can never find the words

plus sometimes people say thats too long to read (but them threads are several posts long)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by CJCrawley

Those threads you seem to be describing are fine. Read the op again. It was all very literal.

Simply put it is AGAINST the Terms of this Site to say "Look at this" and post off site content.

You MUST say something about it. A short summary can do, but personal emotion telling me how you feel about it and why you think it's important is much better.

Spreading propaganda without telling me how you feel about it is the worst. Don't tell me what someone else said. repeat repeat repeat, but I am not a robot. My imput output system needs to know the messenger, and why are you bringing me the message.

It's really not that hard.

Walk up to your friend on the street and shove your phone in his face and say read this article. First thing he will say is, "what is it?" You will answer, " it's this video about the environment in New Zealand." He will then say, "why should I care?" And then you tell him....

That's what I expect...

Here is this article it's this cool new science thing.. I think that this will change the world. Energy can be created from wasted energy so that energy pollution becomes energy surplus... LINK...

This is the minimum...

Something that simple goes up and over the average thread on ATS.

Simple.
edit on 12/6/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
whats even more annoying is when a someone actually puts work into creating thread and a mod comes along and closes said thread and points everyone else to another thread where someone just quickly posted a couple sentences then p***ed off the rest.

Just because you linked to a story first doesnt mean you should get priority over the subject.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Do you know how many of these threads we've read over the past 13 years? Neither do I, I quit counting 10 years ago. This is a User Generated Content Site we don't ever want to hold editorial sway or try to control in any other way (other than our Terms and Conditions of Use) what the people who take the time to register to this site want to post.

Your opinion of the "quality" of the content is no less or more valid than anyone else's, including those who you disparage in your post. Think about that. This site is reflection of the internet's population and their interests.

Your snide remarks about me and my partners are as meaningless as your criticism of your peers by the way.

edit on 12-7-2013 by Springer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Let's be Serious for a sec, we can all sit here and bitch all we want about all the problems of the site and how great threads are being overlooked in favor of mediocre ones but considering this Useless thread does Nothing to improve the content of the site and yet has 9 Flags and 26 replies it has made my point for me...

I am almost certain the Owners and other staff members know about all the issues mentioned in this thread but we can't expect them to manage the content to suit the members who are used to having things a different way..

the fact is Ats has changed and the world along with it.. the use of mobile phones as an alternative browsing device is the cause of these shortened less detailed threads and mobile phones are not going anywhere anytime soon....

it takes a bit more effort to find them but their are excellent threads on this site, it's just a bit more difficult to find them...

can we all now accept this and move on?

edit on 7/12/2013 by Ph03n1x because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Ph03n1x
Let's be Serious for a sec, we can all sit here and bitch all we want about all the problems of the site and how great threads are being overlooked in favor of mediocre ones

can we all now accept this and move on?

edit on 7/12/2013 by Ph03n1x because: (no reason given)

Can you accept this thread and move on?

We can all do as we wish.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   

teachtaire

Yes, what the person who starts the thread says is MUCH MUCH more important than the content of whatever it is they are trying to share. Internet people are some of the most intelligent, honest, and clever people I know; why would I even bother what is reading in their link when they are so intelligent that I don't have to think?

You pretty much just made the OP's point.

You don't want to be lazy so you'll read the lazy posters links, despite them having no input.

Small hint. Use google. you save the middle man then, having to waste time reading ATS.

Now most people on ATS prefer to read what someone has to say about something. If we just want the news headlines, we can use google. Or whatever alternate media outlet we use.

As it's a discussion forum, it's nice to read what someone thinks about something.

Alas..

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   

SecretKnowledge
When i joined, you were'nt allowed a one line reply.
People used to post one line and the second line was "second line" to get around it.
It pushed you to think of a decent reply, not just a one-liner.
But i do see less moderator actions in threads, i.e. removing one liners, off topic posts.

The "Second line" thing is as against the T&C as a one line post. People just don't get it.

You can leave one line if it is on topic, adds to the thread and is not meaningless filler.

"I agreee.

second."

is as good as "I agree." alone.

But

"The answer is 905 if you subtract 904."

is fine without a pointless "second..." part.

And I dunno whats going on with all the changes. Who does...

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   
the "facebook effect"

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I notice blaming ATS in general has been used a bit here, it is not ATS the forum as she is the ship, it is the crew who steer her. I think this discussion is important for the newer users because they may not understand what some of the more seasoned readers expect from the OP. I so agree with several of the members and hope people take time to read this whole thread . Some pearls for sure.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by CJCrawley

I must admit i personally dont like reading what amounts to a small book of words in an OP unless i am REALLY interested in the subject. But at the same time i dont come to ATS just to read threads that are nothing more than links to stuff on other sites. When someone makes a thread they should put some effort into explaining what its about and attempt to start an intelligent discussion on the subject.

Leave the 'hey check this out *insert link here*' to facebook and other mindless sites popularity/ attention seeking sites..

edit on 7-12-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   

suz62
The language is getting rougher too. I reported someone who used the "F" word this morning. Nothing was done.

The moderators can't be everywhere. That's when YOU are supposed to hit the alert button and let them know when violations happen. That's why the button is there.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   

FlyersFan

suz62
The language is getting rougher too. I reported someone who used the "F" word this morning. Nothing was done.

The moderators can't be everywhere. That's when YOU are supposed to hit the alert button and let them know when violations happen. That's why the button is there.

They just said that they did report it. I dont know if thats true or not and its a bit off topic but just saying.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   

I was being helpful. Hit the alert and the mods will eventually get to it.
They can't be everywhere and they are volunteers. It takes time.
It wasn't off topic. Moving on ...

edit on 12/7/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   

beezzer

Threads come and go, so do trends, fads.

So do members. Remember, this site is member-generated.

Post in-depth thought-provoking threads and start your own trend.

I've been here 3 years. Still a junior as far as I'm concerned, but have seen awesome threads and *meh* threads.

When I see the *meh* threads, I usually do some homework and start a controversial thread (I like hitting hornet nests with sticks) and stir the pot!

Just my two ameros

Of course then Beezer runs away and cackles as he wonders how to blow up the next thread as everyone is fighting away on his last one

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
How I see it really, this is how I learn to be a better ATS OP. Reading what all you have written explains something. Bear with me here, you see where I'm going.

At first I thought ATS was nothing more then some office in DHS. What would the best way a Troll or get the dis-info out there? So I pondered this for some time and thought. What if the DHS actually has people on ATS to do this sort of thing FOR Them?

Not only do you get to hear what is OUT there, you can change or add stuff to derail some Op Posts! Then if say a Truth somehow got to us, they could trace it back to the sorce later after Trolling.

How else could you explain having 10 flags in five min's, so many stars, and the like is a short amount of time? We are being Tag Team by Trolls! All it would take is say 50 evil Trolls working in said office DHS! Crazy? How dose one explain them getting Paid to do this?

I've noticed if some OP's do not link in their posts , it goes in saying since you did not link something you have nothing to back up what your saying game! Or a war go on between some on a post between others!

Anyway I might be going mad! Yet to find Truth, one must deal with # and look beyond it! How I see it anyway, Hope it helps the ones who Actually Care!

Peace

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

I agree that the standards aren't the same as they were.

I guess short attention spans, lack of interest, the tone of the site (juvenile smileys, big font) appealing to kids more than adults etc, it appears ATS has fallen to the realms of flippant social media where one liners are de rigeur and the clientele more interested in garnering attention and a following than writing serious, decent, well written, informed threads and posts about important matters or things of interest.

I used to enjoy the site a lot, now it has lost it's shine.

I hope it can regain it's reputation as a leader in the Conspiracy field and get back on track with interesting, informative threads and a better visual UI more suited to it's purpose.
edit on 7-12-2013 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join