It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARPA to Genetically Engineer Humans by Adding a 47th Chromosome

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Who is to say that an individual(s) who were born to develop genetic engineering are not the product of natural selection in the first place?

To me this is the crux of the problem in our reasoning abilities. The same group of men intent on physically altering the genetics of men are of the same ilk who foisted the falsehood of natural selection onto the populace. Natural selection is nothing less than "eugenics of nature", a supposed natural way by which nature selects the next generation. Once believed along with the theory of evolution, mankind then reaches conclusions like the statement above. We reason based upon the knowledge bank in our minds. How can this group then, that seem hellbent on genetically modifying everything in creation, herd the populace into accepting it? By impacting the reasoning process starting at the very beginning - by swapping truth for falsehoods in what knowledge is put into our minds. We reason with it. We cannot draw truthful conclusions from untruthful knowledge.

Our minds are filled with their words and images, their books and classrooms, and from that knowledge bank - we reason. It amounts to always searching yet never coming to the truth. Look at the recent propaganda - the media coverage of ANGELina Jolie being publicly hailed as a HEROINE for choosing to follow through with a completely unnecessary and drastic medical procedure. What did that repetitively chanted propaganda lodge in many minds? Only the subconscious belief of angels, human alteration, drastic medical choice, woman, genetics, medicine as a saviour, heroine and life-saving. In an equal fashion "natural selection" and "evolution" repetitively seared into our knowledge bank leads to an erroneous conclusion as stated above. How many on this board alone continually write that "humans are evolving" despite the reality that we are doing nothing of the sort and in actuality are de-evolving into the ancient past? How did an entire world continually pursue evil? Simply by someone coming along and redefining it as good. Now take away the belief in natural selection and the theory of evolution then these monsters become easily seen for what they are - destroyers of humanity and creation. They can't do that without the population programmed in their minds to not only accept it but even just think it is a natural outcome.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Yes, like that...and for safety measures they have engineered a kill switch,
just in case.

DARPA hopes to dispense with evolutionary randomness and assemble biological creatures, genetically programmed to live indefinitely and presumably do whatever their human masters want. And, Wired's Danger Room reports, when there's the inevitable problem of said creatures going haywire or realizing that they're intelligent and have feelings, there's a planned self-destruct genetic code that could be triggered.

Unsurprisingly, molecular biologists have weighed in with huge caveats and raised fingers of objection. First, they say that DARPA has the wrong idea about hoping to overcome evolution's supposed randomness, and that evolution really represents a super-efficient design algorithm.
www.popsci.com...

Again, if this was just over cell lines, why would molecular biologists have huge concerns???

edit on 31-7-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

While it may be cell lines and petri dishes currently, it isn't a great stretch of the imagination to see where this looks to be heading. It's frightening really, how much this resembles some of the more terrifying science fiction(?) out there.
It does make you wonder what life will be like in future centuries..

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Starcrossd

Again, if this was just over cell lines, why would molecular biologists have huge concerns???

Because that project is not the same project as that in the OP.
But never mind that because it's all the same an oh so terribly scary so lets run in circles and scream and shout about it because there's just nothing else to do. Except to actually look into it.
edit on 8/1/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   
This is called polyploidy and it results in a sterile offspring at least in plants. Humans born with this condition do not last very long after birth. In plants, the nutrient requirement is a lot more to continue with the growth but can be grown to full maturity with unusual phenotypes. Unless the cost of benefit of these organisms outweighs the cost of creating them it probably wont be financially beneficial to the requirements of of its design.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TheomExperience

Unless the cost of benefit of these organisms outweighs the cost of creating them it probably wont be financially beneficial to the requirements of of its design.

They aren't creating organisms. Unless you consider individual cells to be organisms.
Human cell lines. Not humans.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Unless the cost of benefit of these organisms outweighs the cost of creating them it probably wont be financially beneficial to the requirements of of its design.

They aren't creating organisms. Unless you consider individual cells to be organisms.
Human cell lines. Not humans.

I consider it to be a genetically different species. What do you propose as a better label for artificially created "humans" that cant pro create naturally?
edit on 1-8-2013 by TheomExperience because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   

The aren't creating humans.
They are dealing with cell lines. Cultured, individual cells. Read it. That's what it says. Is a swab from inside your mouth a human? Is a skin cell a human?
www.dsmz.de...

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   

The aren't creating humans.
They are dealing with cell lines. Cultured, individual cells. Read it. That's what it says. Is a swab from inside your mouth a human? Is a skin cell a human?
www.dsmz.de...

Whatever they are doing, if they mess with the genetic structure they are creating something different. You are right they are not creating humans they are creating something different so again i will ask what do you propose is a good label other than "organism" for a 47 chromosome individual that is too genetically different to procreate with the human species?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   

I don't think individual cells procreate with anything but themselves and make more individual cells.
That is what cell lines do. They are clones if you like. Used for cancer research and a lot of other stuff but not for making humans.
www.cell-lines-service.de...
www.atcc.org...
www.scientificamerican.com...

They are not making genetically engineered humans. The claim is a hoax.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   

They are not making genetically engineered humans. The claim is a hoax.

Some people like myself just like to bring things into awareness to help others make more informed decisions. It can theoretically be done though and there have been children born that have carried three pairs of chromosomes but this is called triploidy. Down syndrome is more what this thread is referring to with one extra chromosome and not one extra "set".

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Got it.
Theoretically humans can be genetically engineered. Therefore this project is about genetically engineered humans.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Oh man, this is absolutely Magnificent. Soon we will have Abilities that span beyond our own mere Mental prowess. We can finally attempt to Harness the power of Science to elongate our own lives. Become.better than ever before. I can see it now: Wolverine style Regeneration with limbs, Chameleon like camo, The Speed of a Cheeta and the ability to survive The Harshest of Earths weather.

I've never been one for morals in the face of scientific progress, morals can go out the window during the Testing phase.

If i were to be doing such experiments, i can guarantee people would despise me for The Testing i would be conducting. Unfortunately Morals hold us back on Certain things, such as Scientific Progress and Research.

I would be the first to allow myself to be Exeprimented on if i were to have such abilities. Come to think of it there would be so many willing volunteers for such an Experiment.

I say go ahead and Test to your Hearts content, Give us everything you got New Chromosome.

Make us humans Ascend to the next step in our wonderful Evolution, Branching off into a new Breed that will propell us through our Galaxy and ever Further into our Universe, For Mankind will achieve his most desired goal, To become A God among men!

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Considering Downs syndrome is the result of an extra copy of chromosome 21, and nothing else...it's a little worrying that the military research arm of the MIC want to mess around with adding another Chromosome to Humans.

Anything could happen, from producing Downs like effects, to blindness, deafness, madness, missing/extra limbs, eyes or ears missing or extras appearing, missing skeletal structure (or additions to it), skin forming inside out, musculature malformed...anything.

On the other hand, the effects could be positive. Multiplication of strength and stamina, increased mental abilities, larger or smaller bodies, gills(!), doubling or quadrupling of life span or more, greater tolerance of heat / cold / extremes of environment, better vision (IR / X-Ray / Distance / Microscopic).

Engineering ourselves could being many benefits, just as it could bring about the end of us.

For example, if we could engineer our bodies to be half the average size, or even smaller, our requirements for resources would go down accordingly too.

If we had less requirement for O2, and greater tolerance to cold / heat, we could colonise other worlds in our system, without the need for restrictive and cumbersome suits and habitats.

If we could breath underwater naturally, we could live in the oceans as freely as we live on land.

But...would we still be able to call ourselves...Human?

Is Humanity in our genes...or is it a state of mind?

edit on 1-8-2013 by MysterX because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

it's a little worrying that the military research arm of the MIC want to mess around with adding another Chromosome to Humans.
Please point out where it is stated that is the purpose of the project. I mean in the actual documents, not the article quoted in the OP.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   

reply to post by MysterX

it's a little worrying that the military research arm of the MIC want to mess around with adding another Chromosome to Humans.
Please point out where it is stated that is the purpose of the project. I mean in the actual documents, not the article quoted in the OP.

I'm commenting on the ideas and thoughts produced from the article given in the OP...nothing else.

Although a quick search brought this up...an article about Mice engineered with Human chromosomes in every cell of their bodies...

Independent exclusive on Mice with Human Chromosomes
edit on 1-8-2013 by MysterX because: added info and link

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

I see.
As long as you understand that the claim is erroneous.

link   

Got it.
Theoretically humans can be genetically engineered. Therefore this project is about genetically engineered humans.

I do not know, i just read the OP and that is my take on this. I cant tell if your being facetious or not lol

link   

Try reading the actual document instead of the lies about it.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   

reply to post by MysterX

I see.
As long as you understand that the claim is erroneous.

Added a link to research being reported on by the Independent newspaper, detailing experiments on Mice with Human Chromosomes added.

Scientists have created genetically-engineered mice with artificial human chromosomes in every cell of their bodies, as part of a series of studies showing that it may be possible to treat genetic diseases with a radically new form of gene therapy.

Ex-quote from the source.

Independent link on Mouse with Human Chromosomes

If nothing else, it shows that research is heading in the direction that the OP states.
edit on 1-8-2013 by MysterX because: added info and link

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

Yes.
What's your point? Mice have been the subject of genetic engineering experiments for quite a while. So have human cell lines.

If nothing else, it shows that research is heading in the direction that the OP states.

No, it doesn't and the claim that the research in the article is about engineering humans is false.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join