It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BofA and Charlotte use "extraordinary event" , declare marker pens illegal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

A new city ordinance lists a series of items that are grounds for arrest at an extraordinary event, some of which are absurd, such as permanent markers. In addition, the extraordinary event designation gives police broad powers to search backpacks, coolers, and briefcases of people going about their business on the street.

The 99% Power Coalition is coming to BOA to demand the bank keep people in their homes, pay its fair share of taxes, cease its role as the largest funder of dirty coal energy projects in the U.S. and prioritize funding renewable energy projects, and keep corporate money out of the 2012 and future elections. The right to assemble and express these views is protected by the U.S. and North Carolina constitutions.

www.newbottomline.com...

www.charlotteobserver.com...

www.nytimes.com...

edit on 4-5-2012 by stanguilles7 because: add sources as requested below

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
It would be funny is some planes flow over and it starting raining markers. The streets covered in 10s of thousands of magic markers. Now that would be funny

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

Have we got a second source on that, I believe the source cited might be extremely biased.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ameilia

Have we got a second source on that, I believe the source cited might be extremely biased.

Sure. From the source.

(4) A paint gun.... or liquid marker containing fluid that is not water soluble

Link doesn't work, but Google "Amdmt to Chap 15 Sec 15 310 Events pdf" and look at the quick view.

edit on 4-5-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Thank you.

Okay, what I see is they are turning what they choose to deem an 'extraordinary event' into school grounds. I remember in the 1990's we had all sorts of crazy things that you weren't allowed to have, and permanent markers was one of them. You would immediately be written up, maybe sent to in school suspension, or suspended.

That on the face doesn't bother me too much. I can see why they wouldn't want protestors carrying permanent markers and defacing stuff. But the other side is what else are they going to decide is an 'extraordinary event'?

Edited: Originally written when the above post by stanguilles7 contained 2 additional sources, one of which was New York Times, which have now been removed.
edit on 5/4/12 by Ameilia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ameilia

That on the face doesn't bother me too much. I can see why they wouldn't want protestors carrying permanent markers and defacing stuff. But the other side is what else are they going to decide is an 'extraordinary event'?

Criminalizing someone for having a marker is different than stopping them from using said marker for an actual illegal activity.

Edited: Originally written when the above post by stanguilles7 contained 2 additional sources, one of which was New York Times, which have now been removed.
edit on 5/4/12 by Ameilia because: (no reason given)

Additional inks have been added to the OP. The source I supplied you is directly from the city of charlottes actual regulation. Can't get any closer to the source than that.
edit on 4-5-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
WOW.... These guys are really going to make this convention hell on Earth for anyone who isn't a cheerleader for the party, huh?? I can't think a law like this in that place, at this time has anything in mind but the Convention in September. They're preparing for re-run of the 1968 convention on steroids...but this one isn't even contested. You'd think it'd be a non-event. A Party rally for the Faithful... It sure sounds like it'll be a battlefield for protest and street fights though.

Convention Date(s) September 3–6, 2012
City: Charlotte, North Carolina
Venue: Time Warner Cable Arena, Bank of America Stadium
Chair: Antonio Villaraigosa (nominated)

Voting Total Delegates: 5,556
Votes Needed for Nomination: 2,778

Heck... I'm half way across the nation from this and like Chicago this month, I still feel a bit too close.

edit on 4-5-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: quote correction

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Aww, but magic markers smell so good.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

This isn't just about the Democratic convention. Not sure how you came to that conclusion. It most likely will be applied at that event in September as well, but the specific issue of immediate concern is a shareholder's meeting for Duke Energy this week. This is not a partisan issue, no matter how hard you try and make it one.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police say they will use common sense while enforcing the city’s new ordinance that limits protests -- with the first test of the law possible Thursday at the Duke Energy shareholders meeting.

Read more here: www.charlotteobserver.com...=cpy

The ordinance allows the city to declare Extraordinary Events and permits police to search people who come inside an Extraordinary Events zone. A number of items which city officials say are potentially dangerous are banned from that zone.

Read more here: www.charlotteobserver.com...=cpy

new topics

top topics

join