It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Expert: Earth Is Cracking Up

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doalrite
If and when it all happens I hope the earth gives me enough time to get drunk and high and stand out on the hill like woody harrelson and scream at the top of my lungs as man is wiped from this planet again.

Man is a virus and the Earth caught it... It goes in remission from time to time but there is no cure.

I bet the earth will survive... us... well I really could care less.
edit on 15-4-2012 by Doalrite because: (no reason given)

I despise such sentiments to no end. Man is a virus? Well, then why don't you actually live up to your beliefs and kill yourself? Seriously, if that's the way you feel, the only thing that could possibly be holding you back is cowardice.

It takes two seconds to step back and recognize that mankind is still in its infancy. We're destructive, sure, but we're also spiritual beings and have created even more than we've destroyed. If we weren't more creative than destructive, then none of us would be wearing clothes or typing on electronic computers utilizing quantum mechanical principles.

I am not a cancer, and I don't believe anyone else is either.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by satron
Is Earth trying to get into Guinness for the biggest omelet?

I love omelets, just don't want to become one

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doalrite

Man is a virus and the Earth caught it... It goes in remission from time to time but there is no cure.

I bet the earth will survive... us... well I really could care less.
edit on 15-4-2012 by Doalrite because: (no reason given)

Originally posted by Buddha1098
reply to post by Doalrite

I disagree.. we're more like cancer =)
edit on 15-4-2012 by Buddha1098 because: (no reason given)

I disagree. Civilization, especially large densely populated areas like city states are unsustainable and when coupled with a system of economic greed based on the waste and extraction of finite resources (consumerism), it becomes double whammy. Humans have lived along side nature for thousands (maybe even hundreds of thousands) of years without any detrimental effects on ecobalance.

Humans aren't the problem, the society that we have chosen to make is. The fact of the matter is that we have new approaches that combine old world wisdom and ways with new world technology to change how we affect our planet and our future. But some obstacles stand in the way, mainly the power structure and the people themselves afraid of change and inconvenience. When we overcome them our future is bright indeed. If we do not overcome them, we are doomed.

Documentaries like Zietgeist Add and Thrive point the way towards newer approaches, and show case technologies and ideas that aren't well known by the general population. Our main focus should be switching over to a sustainable organic based agriculture and finding newer forms of energy sources. This will come from the people not from government or multi national corporations.
edit on 16-4-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-4-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

these Strike-slip movements are not a matter of the earths crust 'cracking' it is rather a process of one subducting landmass slipping down into the molten mantle and the land mass that is on the top springing back into place

No. A strike slip fault is one that moves horizontally. You are thinking of a 'subduction zone'.

en.wikipedia.org...

From your link: "Strike-slip quakes involve the horizontal movement of colliding earth plates, and are typically less powerful than those where there is vertical movement. They are also less likely to trigger big tsunamis, or tidal waves.... Wednesday's event was different, Sieh said, because it occurred further west from the megathrust zone in a fault that runs north-south. This strike-slip fault involved a sudden horizontal movement of the Indian and Australian plates along hundreds of kilometers, preliminary data suggest."

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
paneandov.com... check it out, explains alot of stuff.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Chewingonmushrooms

Most people can't see that what we are personally are doing is hurting the earth's ability to provide for us. The greed of Capitalism has trained us well. Most people think they deserve things that we do not need because we can buy them or borrow money to buy them. We buy new cloths and throw out perfectly good ones. We buy the best quality of meats and cause waste, then get offended if the corporations try to create pink slime out of it so it is not wasted. We spend our money on foolish things and replace it if it gets scratched, feeling good if we recycle it because that is Eco-friendly. Eco-friendly is selling it cheaply to someone to use till it is wore out and then they can recycling it. We have been severely conditioned by society to do the wrong things. Try telling this to a friend and see what they say. There is little common sense left in the industrialized countries anymore. People have become blind. Nobody can see their flaws but cut down others for their flaws. 2012 is the year of the great awakening.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

To all those saying us armchair ATS posters.........did you not notice this from JohnVidale on page 2?

I saw and was surprised he posted In a thread with such a title.

reply to post by GhostLancer

The fact that this Romanian scientist (if indeed there is a real scientist who stated this) jumped to conclusions without taking into account the billions of years of Earth's past... Well, this only serves to discredit him and his outlandish claims.

The scientist in question never actually made this claim, it is the headline of an article in the Croatian Times, which is where BIN got the title.

If you read the entire article, nowhere is the scientist ever quoted as using the phrase "the earth is cracking up."

"There is no doubt that something is seriously wrong. There have been too many strong earthquakes," said Marmureanu.

He added: "The quakes are a surprise that cannot be easily explained by current scientific knowledge. With the Indonesian quake for example, statistically, there should be one big earthquake in this part of Asia every 500 years. However, since 2004, there were already three quakes with a magnitude of over 8, which is not normal.

He is merely stating that the quakes of the other day are outside of statistical norms, which is true.

As to his legitimacy, a google scholar search yields 49 papers which he is associated with.

Further searching shows the Mr. Marmureanu is actually retired, by law:

Gheorghe Marmureanu was replaced from the helm of the Institute of Earth Physics, but remained the honorary director and a member on the institution’s Board of Administration.

“Mr. Marmureanu’s mandate is over, by law, it would have been illegal to grant him an extension. I thank him not only for being a true scientist, but also for having set up an entire school,” the Education Minister further stated.

Source

The above linked article indicates that he still holds an honorary position , but that does not lessen his credentials nor the work he previously accomplished.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

Yea it is true, the Earth is cracking up, cracking up laughing at this thread
edit on 16-4-2012 by PageAlaCearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by JBRiddle

magnetic field is acting just like a microwave. a microwave use magnets to hear objects from the inside out.

--
This is utterly rubish, a Mirowaves do not heat anything from inside and out, they heat the water molecules, and only from the outside, and there certainly is a limmit how deep they can enter a body, that is why there a special containers to use in a microwave oven that are build like a wheel...

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I have done a lot of research on the magnetic cloud (Interstellar Fluff) and there is credible evidence from many of my credible sources that when added together become a puzzle that is startling.

However... when it is all said and done (research).... No one knows what will happen tomorrow. They just don't. Even a psychic can get a vision in regards with what MAY happen tomorrow. Within the law of Cause and Effect though...the possibilities with cause and effect are many. Nothing is set in stone.

No one knows...bottom line.

Live it up while you can and enjoy life......

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by cloaked4u
paneandov.com... check it out, explains alot of stuff.

I recommend you read this and some of the other stuff that is on here, it exsplains everything.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
[

these Strike-slip movements are not a matter of the earths crust 'cracking' it is rather a process of one subducting landmass slipping down into the molten mantle and the land mass that is on the top springing back into place

No. A strike slip fault is one that moves horizontally. You are thinking of a 'subduction zone'.

en.wikipedia.org...

From your link: "Strike-slip quakes involve the horizontal movement of colliding earth plates, and are typically less powerful than those where there is vertical movement. They are also less likely to trigger big tsunamis, or tidal waves.... Wednesday's event was different, Sieh said, because it occurred further west from the megathrust zone in a fault that runs north-south. This strike-slip fault involved a sudden horizontal movement of the Indian and Australian plates along hundreds of kilometers, preliminary data suggest."

yes i know that the particular quake was predominately a horizontal Slip-Slide... but the real dynamic at work is the subduction...as was witnessed in the 2004 quake/tsunami where the seafloor sprung up by 10 meters !

the horizontal shift is the tail end of one tectonic plate sinking beneath the crust... so expect more of these kind of upward thrust movemants closer to the subduction zone itself...
the further away from the subduction zone (ground zero) One will normally have that sideways (horizontal) movement of the land mass...

i know the San Andreas fault has moved laterally (horizontally) by more than 70 feet at times
and i believe thats because the actual subduction zone is off the Wash. Ore. coast

hey i'm only an amateur... but there are way too many geologists that are afraid to take a stand and make a hypothesis for fear of their reputation.

pick me apart ... thats what posting entails...
edit on 16-4-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

You seem to be confusing two entirely different types of fault lines. A strike slip moves past each other, they dont slip under each other, as you have stated several times.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

I sorrry i told it funny joke

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by girlwithkaleidoscope3eyes
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Hey, where did you read that about 2030? I wanted to get out of this hell anyway lol but thats kind of been my fear for awhile living on the coast of a sea level peninsula...it seems plausible :/ I feel like we're due for some hurricanes unfortunately too this summer, it's been too quiet these past 5 years or so ha

I was watching the weatherchannel and one of those shows came on and they had scientists talking about it. They said the original projection for the water rising to those levels was the end of the 21st century but they pushed it to 2030.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Doalrite

THIS====> is the core of my belief structure

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gaussq
reply to post by robhines

Yes, and Nostradamus said there would come aKing of Europe, one of Asia and one of the Southern people.. Buddha is in the east, Jesus is in the west, so why not both?..

Exactly, why not both, then why not many of various religions? If they all touch down soon I'm sure we all know who'll be worried about their very short lived "interests".

*cough* mass media, bankers, politicians, corporations. *cough*
edit on 16-4-2012 by robhines because: added

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01

Quake Expert: Earth Is Cracking Up

ummm,

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the earth already "cracked up"?

Is this not why we have "tectonic plates"?

The areas in between these plates are cracks, right?

This is just more sensationalism.

Oh damn, the club of logic ruins a perfectly ridiculous thread.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
My thought is that no one, not us, not scientists, not seismologists, really have enough information to know with any certainly what the hell is happening. We've only been here for 150,000 years, recorded history only a few thousand. Meanwhile, the dinosaurs survived here for 180 million years. The cycles can't all be THAT bad if the dinos lasted that long, having had their chance at a "2012" apparently numerous times.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
CRACKS COMING OUTTA NOWHAERES! Well at least that's what I can tell my ATS family about what's happening here in the tropics.

Here in the Philippines fault cracks are appearing everywhere. I'm not talking about remote distant areas; I'm saying it's happening heres in the suburbs. No million dollar house is spared. The faults aren't sparing no expensive crib. Everything goes. Faults opening everywheres so i subscribe to this for the meanwhile.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join