It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Magazine's December 5, 2011 | Vol. 178 No. 22 cover. Propaganda?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by CountSymphoniC

How about this propaganda?

Wait, didn't you just say something about TIME tailoring their articles in such a way that it suggests there is major censorship going on in the US editions?

So a pro marijuana cover in the USA and some invention fluff piece everywhere else is censorship in the USA is it?

It's ok, you're allowed to cherry pick what you want to see, just don't get upset when someone calls you on it.

edit on 26/11/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

What about that "propaganda"? I really hope you're not trying to tell me that all magazine covers ever printed are all propaganda... because that's where this looks like it's going. But maybe you're not and in a less black and white and more colorful scope, I'll explain that I wouldn't even try to say that all USA Time edition covers that differ from their other cultural counterparts are all propaganda, and in such a case where only some of these alternate covers are suspect of propaganda, there are tons of possibilities. If I was a mind manipulating, mass controlling, propaganda using government, I certainly would do something like that to throw sceptics like you off trail, wouldn't you? Hmmm...

Can you see why this could cause confusion, resulting in debates like ours Chad? People are so sucked in to utilizing black and white thinking, the "all or nothing" thinking polarities, that few even try to take a look at the colors in between. So to summarize what I said in simpler terms for anyone else who is having trouble catching on to what I'm saying...

Some USA covers could be different from the others with no intention of propaganda (decoys). While other USA covers are different from other cultural counterparts with propaganda intentions (The Real Mccoys). Mix these two and everyone on this thread fights about whether it's propaganda or not.

Oh, and all of that was just pure speculation, it has nothing to do with my actual views. I call it thinking out loud... on a forum. Yeah, a forum... real loud. I'm sure if I scream loud enough on a forum someone will hear me... oh, wait, maybe not. But be very careful, all attempts to use this one's own words against him will all end in failure.
edit on 26-11-2011 by CountSymphoniC because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-11-2011 by CountSymphoniC because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

The cover of that edition of TIME kind of contradicts the premise of the OP, that is what I was getting at.

But it's a decoy, so as usual, a conspiracy has an "out clause" where you're damned if you do (Amerijuana) or damned if you don't (Revolution Redux).

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Has anyone read the article?

There is two of them that pertain to the cover.

www.time.com...

www.time.com...

Is there any possibility we can read them for free?

I'm in Europe so obviously these won't be on my stands.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

The cover of that edition of TIME kind of contradicts the premise of the OP, that is what I was getting at.

But it's a decoy, so as usual, a conspiracy has an "out clause" where you're damned if you do (Amerijuana) or damned if you don't (Revolution Redux).

I'm really thinking about taking a long pause from computers for a while.

Anyways...

You're absolutely right. It does contradict the context the OP put this thread in. I completely understand where you're coming from and accept your words. On a mostly unrelated note, what I find interesting is how some people can convince themselves of the most wildly outrageous beliefs... and even if they're wrong and this belief is self destructive, they will almost always fight to the death to preserve that belief. The beliefs that we've had in the past change on a constant basis regardless of that fight but that's not the point. Some people make the mistake of thinking I come here and other online gatherings to debate. Actually many fall into that trap. While I can front a debate with others and project the appearance of taking a hard stance, I'm really just "opening brand new doors," for others to find and walk through. That's all. It's as simple as that. I'm here to help people open up their minds a bit. But can someone really be in a position to do this? No, and yes. But I'm going to put this nonsense rambling on pause for now, a pause that should last long enough to get at least 8 hours of sleep and enjoy life away from the computer, haha.

On a side note, I think that Time is probably targetting America differently just because our views are noticeably different than the rest of the worlds'. Even if it is propaganda, they won't make much money if all of the covers are very negative. America can be sensitive to negativity at times right? It's not neccessarily a bad thing to put a more positive spin on their magazine covers, even if it is propaganda. Our economy needs work, and if enough people have a positive mindset and "work together" mentality to at least improve the situation, then maybe we'll get somewhere. See... America's mainstream likes to tell people what they want to hear. The alternative media does the exact opposite, but neither is telling the complete truth, you're lying to yourself if you think either of them are telling the complete truth. Notice how the Mainstream Media is somewhat for the careless while the alternative media is for the paranoid in many ways. But the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Actually a lot of what we see on ATS, like this thread for example... is people taking common everyday occurrences, and putting an extraordinary spin on it, just like paranoid people do (like the guy who accuses his girlfriend of cheating when all she did was say hi to an old friend). I'm not really accusing anyone of being paranoid though. I'm just accusing all of you of being creative.

Hey look! I rambled again... now about the pause I've mentioned twice now.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Time magazine! Is that still around?

People don't read that crap anymore.

Anyone with half a brain knows ANY of that kind of printed subjective garbage is only worth starting a fire in your fireplace with.

No one just objectively reports the news, whether it is a magazine, a newspaper, or on the internet. They ALL have an agenda.

Look at them all realizing that they ALL have an agenda and use some logic and common sense to draw your conclusions.

Use what you can, throw the rest away.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I hate to say it, but I think most the people here are as dumb as the average asleep American.

Subliminal? What's subliminal about it?

You can't just call something subliminal with nothing to back it up...What visual clue is there to suggest something on that cover is subliminal???

You people are reading way too much into this, it is a cover of a magazine and I'm getting people telling me that no one bothers to read a magazine...and this is ok? It's ok now to be a brain dead moron?

The cover is propaganda, but in the same instance, no one will bother reading this propaganda anyway.

You should hear how ridiculous you sound.

And your extreme fiefdom side has Glen Beck. Just remember that. Rockefeller Center ring a bell?

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

So what is the meaning of getting at something?

Sort of ironic huh?

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Why anxiety is good for you! LOL

Can anyone say DOUBLE SPEAK???? I mean come on is it anymore obvious than that...?

They should have just said "Why bad is good for you!"

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

LOL just yesterday after seeing this copy of Time in my mail, I canceled my subsrciption.

edit on 27-11-2011 by chapterhouse because: no reason

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
The first time I visited the US I was a kid...absorbed it....loved my visit. I returned as a growed up pre-net keen to see from that side of the Atlantic how the US perceived the rest of the world via it's media.

It was a short investigation - there was no perception of the rest of the world - no discussion in the media (tv, radio, papers or magazines), and no analysis - at a time when US foreign policy was causing mayhem. It would seem they didn't want you guys to know about it.

Thank goodness for the web - welcome to the world guys

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

"You can't handle the truth!"

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
This became news in Turkey:
gundem.milliyet.com.tr...

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by planetdevildog

That's great news
Do you think they picked it up from this thread or was it another blog?
edit on 28-11-2011 by christina-66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

I assume this question is directed to me. And I think yes, they most probably took it from ATS, because lately in Turkish MSM I am seeing a lot of same topics (mostly mysterious subjects like UFO's etc.) just after a thread made here.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Did anyone see the red asterisk, next to the word you? Did you read the small print? haahahha You gotta LOVE the way they do things. You also gotta love the fact that, the majority of you people, talking about "sheeple" and "sleeping", ARE just that: "Sleeping sheeple". Please, do enlighten me, as to HOW you're ANY BETTER than those you like to call "sheep"? YOU ARE THE SHEEP...actin' like the big bad wolf. If you do ANY of the following, you are a sheep:
1) Use banks, credit/debit cards.
2) Drive
3) Work a J.O.B. and pay taxes
4) Still use cells phones, like it's your spouse
5) Still watch TV, regularly
6) Still doing NOTHING with your lives, other than talking the talk.

I loooooooooove the way you people THINK it's someone elses problem; as if YOU got it all together, and YOU'RE fighting the good fight of faith. You're STILL IN the system, acting like you're not. Give it up...and start DOING SOMETHING other than saying everyone else is sleeping. You're so far asleep, you're dreaming. Stop supporting their LIES....then come back here and talk about the 'sheeple' being asleep!

When does DENYing IGNORANCE begin? Next year???

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by musicalmirrors

Your own singular experiences with pot do not apply to everyone. I smoke quite often but suffer no loss of motivation, nor do I lack interest in the world around me.

Not trying to start an argument, just offering the other side of the coin.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
The government-media complex is strong....

very strong....

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Ok.. I 've thought about it,
I think the cover was changed for the US because it would:
Scare the #### out of white Conservative Americans.
And they are already freaking out a bit as it is.
The end

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

So, basically, they are telling us, "Don't worry; be happy!"??? What the heck? Big news, and we get a cover about anxiety being "good for you", when ALL studies have shown it isn't? First Newsweek leaves out evidence, now this.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Time covers vary each week depending whether it is the US or "overseas" editions.

The fact is, prior to the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour, Americans paid very little interest to what was going on outside her borders. Changed postwar realities meant that the US was forced into overseas adventures largely against her will. Historically, Americans are very insular by nature. Like any other mainstream publication, Time magazine is acutely aware of its target audience and tailors the content to suit - with the cover as its shop window, so to speak.

Believe me there is no conspiracy here, American readers of Time are not being denied the truth. Here in Europe we are being diet fed the Second Egypt Uprising on a daily basis and I can tell you that there's nothing more to it than a bunch of angry Arabs attacking each other because, well, because they have never experienced democracy before and still have to work out how to do it in a civilised way.

Every infant culture has to go through something similar (American Civil War anyone?) Time just doesn't think Americans are particularly interested in Arabs - especially those without any oil...

Seriously - Anxiety Is Good For You! So just sit back, roll another fat one and enjoy it

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join