It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Magazine's December 5, 2011 | Vol. 178 No. 22 cover. Propaganda?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by rexusdiablos

What propaganda?

I've shown that the story is written in the US version of the magazine as well as the other regions.

I've also shown that the different regions often run different covers.

And I've shown that a US edition of TIME will put something that the "asleep" would not normally think about on their cover whilst at the same time all the other regions get a cover with inventions...directly contradicting the premise of the OP.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

edit on 26-11-2011 by SanguineDenial because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-11-2011 by SanguineDenial because: offtopic

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by notquiteright
That says a lot. From things like this, it is clear that Americans are intentionally uninformed or worse, badly informed. I hope no one seeing this ever buys Time again.

I cancelled my subscription years ago, partially do to this:

Funny how it only took a few decades to wake up again and see what a propaganda tool this rag really is.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Very strange.

The world gets real problems facing humanity at the moment, while the US gets petty stories on anxiety, family and schools.

It's clear the US government wants their citizens to be kept in this ignorant isolated bubble from the rest of the world in order to get away with all they do.

No wonder it is said the US is the most ignorant country in the world. The government is the one responsible.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Great catch, OP. Star and Flag.

I wonder if TPTB don't want to remind America that they have their local "occupy" protest that they can join if they want to look like the guy on the cover of the other issues?

Go on, America? Feeling stressed? Take more drugs.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
The only magazine covers that matter in my opinion are snap on mag dust covers. Those types of magazines fuel the ability to protect.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

What propaganda?

I've shown that the story is written in the US version of the magazine as well as the other regions.

I've also shown that the different regions often run different covers.

And I've shown that a US edition of TIME will put something that the "asleep" would not normally think about on their cover whilst at the same time all the other regions get a cover with inventions...directly contradicting the premise of the OP.

I have to agree in that context, in fact in the op's examples shown, the cover story and second billing are interchanged between the two, and I imagine that TIME expects that people will read what's inside. The stories themselves may or may not contain propaganda, as could the depictions on the cover, and that is harder to unravel, but the cover changing is too simplistic, anyway the different covers are there to see. My local 'cheat sheet' has three different editions for three towns which are only 20 miles apart.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Interesting post but I have a completely different take on it. For one, the contents of the magazines are the same, only the covers change by location. Second, covers are chosen to SELL magazines, that is no secret. What is apparent to me is that the editors of TIME (and other magazines, no doubt) feel that American's are more concerned with domestic issues than international. They feel that by highlighting a US related topic on the cover, they will sell more magazines.

On this particular cover, its a reflection that we, as Americans, care more about our own lifestyle than the disaster happening in Egypt and thus would be more interested in purchasing a magazine about "us" than a magazine about the Arab Spring in the middle east.

Likewise, we, as Americans, find "The End is Excess - Why the Crisis is Good for America" more interesting than the G20 Meeting and the global economy as a whole. Face it, most Americans have no clue what the G20 is and couldn't care less about the economy in the next town over much less in another country.

Looking at more covers, its clearly obvious that the covers here are US centric while the others aren't. Again, the Talibanistan cover was replaced with "Why We Should Teach The Bible in School"

I really don't see this as a TIME Magazine conspiracy but instead a reflection of how Americans, as a whole, are generally self-centered and egotistical enough to think their petty domestic issues are more important than the global issues facing the world today.

Shame on Americans, not shame on TIME.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Anxiety Is Good For You???? WTF????
Now bad is good??
Tomorrow Time´s cover... Poverty is in fact good for you!!! Next month... Guess what! being ill is good for you!!! and so on.... OH MY GOOOOD!!!!

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmysinger
Interesting post but I have a completely different take on it. For one, the contents of the magazines are the same, only the covers change by location. Second, covers are chosen to SELL magazines, that is no secret. What is apparent to me is that the editors of TIME (and other magazines, no doubt) feel that American's are more concerned with domestic issues than international. They feel that by highlighting a US related topic on the cover, they will sell more magazines.

On this particular cover, its a reflection that we, as Americans, care more about our own lifestyle than the disaster happening in Egypt and thus would be more interested in purchasing a magazine about "us" than a magazine about the Arab Spring in the middle east.

Likewise, we, as Americans, find "The End is Excess - Why the Crisis is Good for America" more interesting than the G20 Meeting and the global economy as a whole. Face it, most Americans have no clue what the G20 is and couldn't care less about the economy in the next town over much less in another country.

Looking at more covers, its clearly obvious that the covers here are US centric while the others aren't. Again, the Talibanistan cover was replaced with "Why We Should Teach The Bible in School"

I really don't see this as a TIME Magazine conspiracy but instead a reflection of how Americans, as a whole, are generally self-centered and egotistical enough to think their petty domestic issues are more important than the global issues facing the world today.

Shame on Americans, not shame on TIME.

My god what an excellent point in your post! I agree completely. STARRED BIG TIME!

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

The cover itself is propaganda subliminal mind control. They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Now add a title to add suggestion. The cover is seen by millions who never even open the magazine.

For example the Doctors office. How many people look at the title and the cover picture but never open the magazine?

How about the magazine racks at the store?

Not to mention advertising.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
The American people are too easy to manipulate.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
That is because the US wants the other countries to be in turmoil. The other countries keep wanting to move away from the dollar as the world's currency.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

great job noticing that and presenting it here, thanks too

i am under the impression that the massive amount of uprisings and protesting going on around the world are being manipulated, used and tested. i'm under the impression that america is using the uprising in the middle east to recreate the whole middle east power and political structure into a system more beneficial to america, it's oil needs, and it's need for a scary middle eastern enemy.

i also believe that those doing this are aware that these protesting and uprisings will eventually reach america and that eventually americans will be protesting their government. i think such psychological weapons such as presented in this thread are trying to prepare americans to fail, as well as i think the protesting going on currently around the world is being used as example for how to effectively quell such large masses. the end goal here being that when americans take to the streets to protest the 'powers that be' will know what will work best to quell them, and the people protesting will already have been bombarded with psychological warfare, while their counterparts at home not protesting ( wether they are against the protesting or not ) will be brainwashed to be against the protesting. i think what is presented in this original post's thread is a good example of some material like that.

eh it's not that complicated but it's insidious enough!
edit on 11/26/2011 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Exactly. Anyone who thinks that magazine covers have no effect on people should take a social psychology class. Sure, its nice to say 'don't judge a book by its cover', but that is a cliche for a reason. Namely, the majority of people DO judge a book by its cover. And images affect us subtly but often deeply. Magazine racks face out like that for a reason, and cover images take up the whole page for a reason.

While I believe it is true that the magazine cover decisions are probably made with more of a concern over how to best sell a magazine, it is very interesting to see the variations in covers presented here.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by indigothefish

I've been following OWS for a while and I have never understood some of the things that seem to happen. The way Obama would let DHS attack them. But I allways figured it was Peter King and Republicans pushing DHS to do the attacks. But why would Obama not call them off?

I think I might have found the reason Obama seems so distant from OWS. And really has no control over attacking them. It seems to be "Global". I think there is a link between OWS, World Bank Institute, United Nations and even Interpol. Seems there is a Voices Against Corruption program that targets election corruption, banking corruption and other types of corruption around the world. This is the program used to start the Spring Revolutions and I think have come home to the US who started it. Is it backlash? Is it biteing the hand that fed it? Or is it just karma?

The World Bank Institute.
wbi.worldbank.org...

Voices Against Corruption.
voices-against-corruption.ning.com...
www.slideshare.net...

This article about Maria Dayton led me down the rabbit hole.
www.globalresearch.ca...

Seems November 10th they were voting on sending some one from Zuccotti Park "General Assembly" in New York to Egypt to monitor elections? They voted to give them $29,000.00 to do it? I know the US State Department was involved in what happened in Egypt. I followed that rabbit hole and posted proof in a thread. Operation Earnest Voice (OEV) played a part in that. It was used by the DOD and The State Department.

In South America they seem to be going under the name School of Authentic Journalism.

voices-against-corruption.ning.com... hool-of-authentic
www.narconews.com...

Even the early story of OWS having thier money frozen points to this idea. The group was using a company Alliance for Global Justice and the man who was in charge of the account was a conspiracy theroy guy from South America.

abcnews.go.com...
afgj.org...

Heres the guy who was in charge of the frozen accounts Chuck Kaufman.

www.interconn.org...

If you want to read a interesting PDF from the world bank that shows a lot of details about what they are doing and what the goals of OWS are then read this.

Accountability Through Public Opinion From Inertia To Public Action by Sina Odugbemi and Taeku Lee editors
siteresources.worldbank.org...

And most of this is being done through media USAID. Just look at EgyptUSAID website.

egypt.usaid.gov...

democracy & governance snapshot

USAID programs have increased access to justice for more than 16,000 children and 8,700 families.

2000 media professionals have been trained through USAID programs.

USAID supported the training of more than 13,000 local election observers nationwide.

More than 100 USAID-supported joint community-local government initiatives have been created to solve local problems.

2000 media professionals and 13,000 local election observers? The World Bank has a President who is in charge. Robert Bruce Zoellick and he used to work for Goldman Sachs. I wonder what kinda terms he left on since he seems to be attacking them now? But his term is running out Guess who might replace him. Hillary Clinton.

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
www.salon.com...

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

IMO, TIME magazine is simply continuing it's campaign of mind-control over the American citizenry. American's have been subjected to subliminal advertizing using flashes of photos for decades. These magazine covers are an out-cropping of that plan.

I personally never buy these rags, however, I see them at the check-out line at most grocery/ department stores. After reading these posts on this subject, it occured to me that most American's don't either. So why would TIME magazine put these different cover photos on their magazine? Simple... much like 'Monarch' programming, the subliminal message to the viewer is the most indelible message received.

Folks, we don't have to buy the magazine to be affected by it, we merely have to SEE it! That's the beauty of their plan. It's a form of mass hypnotism. George Orwell would be proud!

If it weren't for sites like this, we would be lost. S&F for you my friend. Thank you for opening a few eyes.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Now this is some grade A propaganda. Very very good catch. S+F

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Finally!!!!

Some here know that this is going on and has been for quite some time. Only now, since there are links to news agencies outside the US and world-wide media machines, can we get a clue.

Of course, that is also why we are conditioned so diligently to hate non-Western cultures and peoples.
Seeing their different news headlines, we tend to forget that the same media group is actually responsible for these covers, not the Egyptians, or Americans, etc.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

What propaganda?

Yes, but more people will pass by and look at the cover (subliminally absorbing it) than the people that will actually take the time to open the magazine. "Never judge a book by it's cover" exists, because too many people do just that, they judge by first impressions. But regardless of the judgement, what you glance at, will seep into your subconscious and assist in molding the way you think and how you view the world around you.

So all regions have the same story while the covers are different, but so do all manipulators have the same intention (self serving greed) while they all have different faces. You pretend to argue with us, but your posts have the tendency to support the OP. Why don't you look for a better hobby? Something you're good at preferably.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join