It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Magazine's December 5, 2011 | Vol. 178 No. 22 cover. Propaganda?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Nice find.

America, Land of the [CENSORED]

Not surprised one bit.
edit on 26/11/2011 by InsideYourMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
This kind of caught me by surprise that the Time Magazine cover could be so opposite for the US market compared to all the other markets for it around the world. What im speaking of is the cover of the magazine. You can goo to thier site and see it for yourself.

www.time.com...

In the US. " Why Anxiety Is Good For You!

Go ahead... buy that lottery ticket

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by traderjack

another bigoted post and possibly racist too.
what's up with that?

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by traderjack
The average American can't handle a cold sore much less the truth or facts.

isn't this kind of thing against the TOS?
surely you are trolling by making such massive generalizations

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Doesn't surprise me. Over the years, I have heard from different sources that many major publications are CIA influenced as per certain "national security" programs, aka, "psy-ops", to create/influence social environments, political attitudes, and controlled divisions of our population to assure a stable economic and political climate. Again, all for national security....not a conspiracy! Haha, whatever.

I think the rest of the world knows more about our foreign policy, for example, than the US population at large. For those who do know the dark little secrets in our foreign policies, for example, that's where controlled division and political attitude comes in.....if you speak of those dark secrets, you are labeled as a "libtard", anti-American, or conspiracy nut-job. Our mainstream medias and publications are dumbed-down and cleaned-up for the US residents in particular. In essence, we live in a bubble.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
this thread has went from a conspiracy about propaganda in news publications, to a bash america, bash white people, bash fat people, bash christians, thread. to be honest, i'm not sure which one is more propagandist, the times covers or the attempt to make this all about american people.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
The girlfriend just got the first issue of Time....

It just so happens to be this one........

I might take a gander at it the next time duty calls

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
THATS IT!....................i canta take it anymore...to much stress.....wheres the meds? Thats right keep America high on drugs!

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMur
THATS IT!....................i canta take it anymore...to much stress.....wheres the meds? Thats right keep America high on drugs!

bigoted, racist, stereotyping.
i don't take any meds nor do i drink or smoke pot. i've had a radical masectomy and sent home the same day with nothing but a bottle of pain pills. i'd like to see any of you he-men, i'm so fantastic, and you're just a fat assed white christian drugged up idiot, try having half your chest wacked off and go home a couple hours later. or how about being slowly tortured to death while your brain is swelling from infection which in turn drives you slowly crazy, and no meds for it at all till you're in a coma from it.

cold sores ? pfft. heeet de road.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

That's interesting.

2nd

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by volafox
Yep, pretty screwy. Telling us Americans that anxiety is good for us? While everywhere else, there is revolution in the streets? WTF??? Why can't we play the revolution card as well? Perhaps its time for a little bloodshed. That would get congress off its ass, the president off his, and everyone else back to work FOR us, not AGAINST us.

What is, is?

That is the question...

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I hate to say it, but I think most the people here are as dumb as the average asleep American.

Subliminal? What's subliminal about it?

You can't just call something subliminal with nothing to back it up...What visual clue is there to suggest something on that cover is subliminal???

You people are reading way too much into this, it is a cover of a magazine and I'm getting people telling me that no one bothers to read a magazine...and this is ok? It's ok now to be a brain dead moron?

The cover is propaganda, but in the same instance, no one will bother reading this propaganda anyway.

You should hear how ridiculous you sound.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMur

You're one of those that I speak of above.

The article is about how actors, athletes and the like use anxiety to their advantage. Nothing about drugs, nothing about meds.

But please, continue on with the ignorant rhetoric, you're proving my point.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

You act like there is no such thing as propaganda.

www.npr.org...

April 10, 2000

The U.S. Army's Psychological Operations unit placed interns at CNN and NPR in 1998 and 1999. The placements at CNN were reported in the European press in February of this year and the program was terminated. The NPR placements will be reported this week in TV Guide. The NPR PSYOPS interns have already been terminated. NPR's Brooke Gladstone reports.

I don't think CNN ever put out a statement on this issue. So did they ignore it and keep them on the staff?And how about the new 8th Military Information Support Group (Airborne) activated 26.08.2011. Thats 1,070 (PSYOP) soldiers.

www.fayobserver.com...

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Nice strawman.

Propaganda exists.

To me, this isn't propaganda.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Gee it's been 5 pages and nobody is digging deeper than the cover? Richard Stengel, the Managing Editor of Time Magazine. Stengel was listed as number 41 on Newsweek's 2010 "Power 50" list in November 2010.

According to the Wikipedia he does not have a birthday.

en.wikipedia.org...

Doesn't he remind you of this guy, the Merovingian from the Matrix?

edit on 11/26/2011 by SayonaraJupiter because: time editor is number 41 on newsweek's power 50

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SayonaraJupiter
Gee it's been 5 pages and nobody is digging deeper than the cover? Richard Stengel, the Managing Editor of Time Magazine. Stengel was listed as number 41 on Newsweek's 2010 "Power 50" list in November 2010.

According to the Wikipedia he does not have a birthday.

en.wikipedia.org...

Doesn't he remind you of this guy, the Merovingian from the Matrix?

edit on 11/26/2011 by SayonaraJupiter because: time editor is number 41 on newsweek's power 50

You could guess that he was probably born in 1955-56 maybe 1957 no mystery there. Not much point in digging deeper for this thread since both magazines are prone to Faux pas, both in story lines and editorial manipulation according to their belief system, and propaganda as well. No rag, tabloid, broadsheet, satirical, or documental magazine is immune they are all basically rags, just that some are more sophisticated than others...that's about as good as it gets.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
I hate to say it, but I think most the people here are as dumb as the average asleep American.

Subliminal? What's subliminal about it?

You can't just call something subliminal with nothing to back it up...What visual clue is there to suggest something on that cover is subliminal???

You people are reading way too much into this, it is a cover of a magazine and I'm getting people telling me that no one bothers to read a magazine...and this is ok? It's ok now to be a brain dead moron?

The cover is propaganda, but in the same instance, no one will bother reading this propaganda anyway.

You should hear how ridiculous you sound.

What's that? I couldn't understand you, it looks like everything you typed in said "Baaaaaahhh! Baaaaaahhh!"

But in all seriousness, how specifically are they reading too much into this? Saying everyone around you is rediculous, doesn't mean their rediculous. In fact I'm sure most here would agree with me when I say the one pointing the finger, has quite a few pointing back at him, but I'm not the one pointing the fingers now am I? If you think I am... then prove it. Subliminal messaging is such an umbrella term that you couldn't wrap your head around the entire concept and how it can be applied to so many different things... even if you tried. Now just a mere insuation could be considered subliminal, if done subtly enough. It's all about sending subconscious messages that aren't exactly picked up by the conscious mind, embedded messages like highlighting certain words in a sentence, or designing a business sign in such a way as that it has a well hidden sexual innuendo is just scratching the surface of the surface of the very surface of the subject.

But there's a whole lot more going on here than just subliminal messaging. Why would Time company go out of their way to talor the cover of their USA in such a way that when compared to the same issues in different regions, definitely suggests there is some major censorship going on? Btw, I don't think everyone can recognize all of today's modern propaganda at all times, hopefully you're narcissism free and can admit that you're not perfect and could possibly miss the possibility that these magazine covers may very well be propaganda. I'm willing to bet you'll argue with this, and I feel like I'm talking to a 2 year old. So I'm just going to end our little conversation here. Go take some Psychology or do some research on everything that has to do with propaganda and subliminals, maybe then we can talk.

Here's something to really debate about.

1) This Time cover USA censorship is an attempt to brainwash you.

OR

2) Time magazine is only taloring their covers to the American people because America is so used to being censored, that the actual covers that Time was using for the other regions would scare the @#$% out of many in America and lose customers, and ultimately break rapport. So to avoid that, Time puts up an "American friendly" cover.

Oh snaps, did I ruin the original topic?

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Hey meant to get back to you sooner, my comment was sort of in jest and sort of serious. While we all know the old saying "don't judge a book by it's cover", I intended to remind you that the topic of this thread was regarding the cover of the magazine, not the content within. Of course it's the story that counts, and the US edition may run the story along with the rest, but it's the cover that sells the magazine and most people will intend to flip to the featured story on the cover first.

Keep in mind the ratio of people who see the cover of a Time magazine to people who read through the entire issue is probably somewhere around a thousand to one. So I'd say it does matter and is a very worthwhile thread topic.

I'd imagine most Americans would feel the way I do - a bit offended by the irony of the US edition's cover compared to the rest considering the state of affairs here in the US, and other countries who have seen uprisings as of late.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by CountSymphoniC

How about this propaganda?

Wait, didn't you just say something about TIME tailoring their articles in such a way that it suggests there is major censorship going on in the US editions?

So a pro marijuana cover in the USA and some invention fluff piece everywhere else is censorship in the USA is it?

It's ok, you're allowed to cherry pick what you want to see, just don't get upset when someone calls you on it.

edit on 26/11/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join