It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Discovers Plutonium Far From Crippled Reactor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Japan Discovers Plutonium Far From Crippled Reactor

Trace amounts of plutonium were found as far as 28 miles from the damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear-power plant, the first time that the dangerous element released from the accident was found outside of the immediate area of the plant.

The science ministry report issued Friday comes just as the government lifted one of its evacuation advisories, underscoring the difficulty of restoring normalcy and assuring the safety of residents around the crippled plant.

The government also reported a rare detection of strontium, another highly dangerous element, far from the crippled reactor, in one spot as far away as 50 miles. Most of the radioactive material discovered to date in the communities surrounding Fukushima Daiichi has been cesium or iodine.

The report said that the radiation from plutonium and strontium was "extremely low" compared to the high concentration of cesium, advising that the government maintain its focus on measuring and clearing the areas of cesium.

Still, the latest discovery is a potentially disturbing turn, as it shows that people relatively far from the plant could be exposed to more dangerous elements than had been previously disclosed.

And that's just what they find.

What about what they don't find?

edit on 1-10-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Explanation: S&F!

You have just confirmed one of my worst fears!
Here is why ...

10months previously on ATS...

Highest Radiation Ever Detected At Fukushima: 10+ Sieverts An Hour (thread by MidnightTide posted on 1-8-2011 @ 12:51 PM , post by OmegaLogos posted on 1-8-2011 @ 03:38 PM) [ATS: Crisis in Japan forum]

My post from there quoted in full ...

Originally posted by OmegaLogos
reply to post by Phage

Explanation: Maybe its just a very localized hot spot!

Prestigious doctor: US nuclear 'Baby valley of death,' Millions to die (thread by Mdv2 posted on 20-6-2011 @ 01:27 PM, post by OmegaLogos posted on 21-6-2011 @ 10:42 AM) [ATS Japan Forum]

Explantion: Yes ... but statistically... if 100kg of mox fuel was ejected...

And a bit further on in that thread... [pg 14]

This is not simulation data ... its real data!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3a60f7a1db3a.jpg[/atsimg]

And from that same post ...

Here is VISUAL of why we are discussing this ...

Sure ... just ignore that fallout cloud that is clearly OBVIOUS and BIGGER than the place that it originated from!

Personal Disclosure: I hope that helps!

Personal Disclosure:
It seems to have gone further than I ever possibly imagined [ie just around the reactor] Reality hits you hard bro!

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Along with not acurately reporting the huge amounts of radioactives released initially and ever since.........
Thsi whole thing is gonna get much worse for everyone with time.
The UN or other members of international community need to step in to help whether Japan wants them or not,,
Its not up to any indiidual nation to be polluting the whole world for many centuries just to save money and face.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Great find! This is still one of the most important stories in the news. This just shows that radiation particles have spread beyond the exclusion zone. Hopefully, the levels stay low when talking about Plutonium. The half life is just ridiculous when dealing with this element. If memory serves, it takes like over a hundred thousand years or more before this element disappears? This is an ever evolving catastrophe, and I am fairly certain there will be readings far beyond the exclusion zone in the future.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Originally posted by Jakes51
This is still one of the most important stories in the news.

Of course, you wouldn't know that by the amount of coverage this disaster receives...

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
This disaster has always worse than we knew. The japanese government and the power company have always known how bad this was. They have lied and with held information all along.

When the explosion occured, any stored rods must have been blown up with the building. Probably spreading the radioactives as far as the wind could carry it. This is sooooo much worse than Chernobyl. So many people in Japan are going to die from the effects of this soon and in the near future. Who knows what the global effects will be?

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I agree! The people that ignore it do so at their own peril. This is a very serious matter, because if Plutonium and Strontium is leaving the exclusion zone it could be an indication that there are other places where it is present. These two are the most virulent and aggressively radioactive particles known to man. Furthermore, Plutonium is radioactive for thousands of years, and Strontium is radioactive for decades. Not good!

If high levels are reported in the food supply and ground water it makes matters even worse. Hopefully, it is only an isolated reading, but I have my reservations? It is a shame that people are not taking it as serious as we do on here. Even among my personal acquaintances they don't have any idea that the crisis continues in Japan, and has the possibility of becoming a problem lasting generations. They think it is under control. Unfortunately that is not the case, but don't tell them that because they immediately put on the blinders and want to change the subject. Can't make a horse drink water.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Did you get your source from Collapse.net? if so man happy to see other members on this website as well. spread Mike Ruppert's word!

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
You know the worse thing about this whole disaster, most people have already forgotten about it, they truly don't understand the extent of the problem and the long term effects the radiation will have. We are only just beginning to see the true consequences of this disaster, it's going to get a lot worse before it gets any better.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

It never made any sense to me that they kept the exclusion zones as circles long after they knew the radiation hazard zones didn't look anything like circles.
OmegaLogos post has a map that shows what the radiation pattern looks like, and the exclusion zone should have been based off of that rather than those circles.

We've known early on that high radiation levels existed well outside the exclusion zone, exactly as shown on the map in OmegaLogos post.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
How many times does it have to be said > THERE WERE FURTHER EXPLOSIONS !!!

One of them was a giant explosion twice as big at least as the first two put together . There were fission fires too

Hello ? Is anyone listening ?

top topics

join