It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Polygamy be legal?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

It comes to this for me:

Does somebody having more than one wife/husband affect anybody but them?

No.

Will it cost me more money?

No.

Is it any of my, or the governments business what two consenting adults decide to do? So long as they aren't harming other people in the process?

No.

So to answer your question, yes, it never should have been made illegal in the first place, and marriage should NOT be dictated by government, or be a government institution (taxes and such).

~Keeper

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 4/14/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by kove400

using a mythical character from the sky, then passages written by man, re-published my man, isn't a viable source to use as argumentation.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I say whatever as long as no one is getting hurt! I don't care what consenting adults do with their lives. Like others said, I don't know why a man would want more than one wife and I'm a woman! Heck, I don't know how my husband puts up with just me!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
One wife bitching at you is bad enough , imagine three bitching at you. You would go crazy , Or imagine a wife with three husbands she would go slap crazy too from being ignored, and all the farting

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by kove400

This is the reason the worlds messed up.....people like you have held back generations of ideas because of these backward/ancient beliefs.

You really believe without this book...that 4.7 billion people dont read....contains all the answers to everything and is helping people in the world. Your logic says...only people of religion have morals etc, the rest of us want to have sex with animals and kill children...but as of yet its not legal so we just think about it....get real...get in the 21st century

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by bdb818888

Why do men find women they cannot love but would want to argue with. This is the problem with marriage. No one shares the same views.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by rumor21
reply to post by lastrebel

I wouldn't want a man who wanted more than one women i would be jealous, i think i speak for most women.

Thats like me saying "I wouldn't want to drive an SUV and I know a lot of people who feel the same so they should outlaw SUV's" No one is saying that if Polygamy was legal that EVERYONE would have to be Polygamists.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricyMarriage is a religious thing....most people dont even believe in marriage anymore, they have to do it to become a legal couple.
Firstly, it's not just a religious thing anymore. It's also tradition. Secondly, CHECK YOUR FACTS!!! most people ARE religious!!! And some people support marriage even thought they aren't religious.

link   

Originally posted by Night Star
It degrades woman. If a man can't be satisfied with one woman to treasure and treat with respect, he shouldn't be married.

What if it's a polygamist relationship of a additional men, instead of women?

-
We're past the state socially we're we thought women were less valuable than men, and we wouldn't regress with polygamy. Include the growing prevalence of homo and bisexuality, an imbalanced ratio of men and women in a relationship wouldn't necessarily make a difference.

I believe, in my heart, there's only one open slot for that 'true love' for me to stick a partner in. In others hearts, I'm not gonna decide for them. People feeling like this, don't get to express it as well as they'd like, because of how the majority don't feel it themselves. Same reason we're barely managing to accept gay marriages, people don't think in others shoes.

I believe that, if both already married couples want to add the third, it's not our job nor the states' to tell them how to life their lives.

link   

From your OP it appears that you are a polygamist? If so, are you a FLDS polygamist living in the southwest?
Just curious.

To answer your question, NO, NO, NO, polygamy should NOT be legalized. It appears that most people on this thread don't realize the culture in which these polygamists are raised. The women have no rights. They are given away like trophies to older men who have clout within the community. Some of these girls are as young as 13.
The amount of oppression on the women and children is disgusting. These people live in a cult society answering to only the "Prophet."

A recent movie that might be shed a little light on this is called "The 19th Wife." It is also a book written by Brigham Young's 19th wife. Give it a read through and see if you still want polygamy legalized.

link   
Yes! If people can openly be gay... then why not polygamy?

If people accept others being gay, shouldn't they accept people that have sexual relations with animals?

At least polygamy is natural.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by kove400

I can show you as many or more passages that condone polygomy in the bible.

BTW......how does a women only being able to.....usually....have one kid have ANYTHING to do with it? None of mine have had a litter......lol.

I admit I was suprised that I wasnt flamed on this one......lol

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Dementronoid

Your "Very anti gay"............why?? Are you a closet homosexual??

Get over it....who cares what other people are up to if it harms no one? Who are you to say who a person can or cannot love.??

Im very anti religion......which is where i guess you get your homophobia from?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by FeraVerto

Hello Fera - thanks for this. What I see in the tanakh as well also leads me to personally stand against it - seems like, as far as most of the stories that got a lot of exposure anyway, there was usually way too much drama and unpleasantness involved either between the wives themselves or the children of the wives.

I don't think any government has authority to get involved with this on any level, but also disagree with polygamy personally because I wouldn't like sharing someone I love with anyone else. Paint me selfish, I suppose.

link   
I believe that laws should generally only exist in cases where it effects other people.. I don't think it's the government's job to tell me what I can ingest, who I can marry or what I do as long as I don't negatively impact others in doing so... the law should be there to punish when you are irresponsible with your freedoms to the point of causing harm or infringing on someone elses freedoms!

SO in short... go for it, enjoy your polygamist lifestyle ... or don't ... whatever

link   
reply to post by rumor21

I know if I were a man I couldn't listen to: "You don't spend enough time with me! Why are you spending so much time with her. We're married too!" Can you imagine the nagging. As a woman I am more worried about the nagging than the jealousy haha.

And I don't think this degrades women. Any woman (or man) who enters a polygamist relationship knows what they are getting into. I will say that there needs to be a lot of thought put into the decision before you go jumping in. But if you decide to jump on in the government should have no say in your decision.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by rumor21

I wouldn't want a man who wanted more than one women i would be jealous, i think i speak for most women.

No one is forcing you to

But you would be suprised how many of us there are

link   

Originally posted by Dementronoid

Originally posted by loves a conspiricyMarriage is a religious thing....most people dont even believe in marriage anymore, they have to do it to become a legal couple.
Firstly, it's not just a religious thing anymore. It's also tradition. Secondly, CHECK YOUR FACTS!!! most people ARE religious!!! And some people support marriage even thought they aren't religious.

Um..wrong~

More than one-quarter of American adults (28%) have left the faith in which they were raised in favor of another religion - or no religion at all.

The survey finds that the number of people who say they are unaffiliated with any particular faith today (16.1%) is more than double the number who say they were not affiliated with any particular religion as children. Among Americans ages 18-29, one-in-four say they are not currently affiliated with any particular religion.

religions.pewforum.org...

link   
As long as everyone is happy and agrees to it I think it is perfectly acceptable. There is nothing wrong with loving 2 or three or even four people. I couldn't do it personally but condemning other people isn't acceptable. Everyone deserves to be happy if you don't feel comfortable with it then don't enter the life style.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius
reply to post by FeraVerto

Hello Fera - thanks for this. What I see in the tanakh as well also leads me to personally stand against it - seems like, as far as most of the stories that got a lot of exposure anyway, there was usually way too much drama and unpleasantness involved either between the wives themselves or the children of the wives.

I don't think any government has authority to get involved with this on any level, but also disagree with polygamy personally because I wouldn't like sharing someone I love with anyone else. Paint me selfish, I suppose.

I agree with you ... the point is it's not something that the government should be involved in, personal opinions are of course what they are.. but two ( or five ) consenting adults should be able to do whatever they wish as long as it's not negatively impacting someone else.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join