It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2011

page: 209
<< 206  207  208    210  211  212 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

i can get Ceri in memphis to pull up but not USGS

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
wow.... look at the yellowstone impact....

www.isthisthingon.org...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

Tell me what I am looking at.
Sorry but I have no idea.... I am assuming these are seismic graphs by Yellowstone? You think it is awakening??

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ
reply to post by ressiv

Sorry but I have no idea.... I am assuming these are seismic graphs by Yellowstone? You think it is awakening??

NO...thats the tremors of the 5.8 at the east coast.... 2800KM distance...

edit on 23-8-2011 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ressiv

Originally posted by MamaJ
reply to post by ressiv

NO...thats the tremors of the 5.8 at the east coast.... 2800KM distance...

OH WOW! You mean it picked up the Virginia Quake.

link   
reply to post by tncryptogal

The straight answer is I don't know, but also I don't think so. There is activity as you can see along that latitude, and this all corresponds with activity in the shale beds.

Shale is basically broken and fractured rock, and of course is full of gas and deeper of oil in these areas hence the extreme interest in them. The shale formations cover a vast portion of the US, and the shale does extend into the area of the Coloado quake(but only just).

Link to map of shale areas

The NMZ and VA are in the shale fields as well and this of course extends right down into the Gulf of Mexico and up into Canada. One great big fractured mass of gas and oil!

Earthquakes in the shale areas are much worse than in the solid rock of the west. This link explains the difference.

Note that the quake has now been revised back to a 5.8 at 6km depth. Still shallow but better than 0.1 Km !!!!

Any large quake that happens in a shale area MAY have an effect elsewhere, and earthquakes in one area can trigger earthquakes in another. It is however generally accepted that this is unlikely outside 600km distance from the quake, so that lets out the NMZ from both sides. Some will argue that it extends further, and the shale may make this so, but I have seen no papers that corroborate this point of view.

link   
Meanwhile down in the antipodes

Magnitude mb 5.2
Region EASTERN NEW GUINEA REG., P.N.G.
Date time 2011-08-23 19:29:54.0 UTC
Location 5.88 S ; 147.54 E
Depth 40 km
Distances 402 km N Port moresby (pop 283,733 ; local time 05:29:54.0 2011-08-24)
111 km NE Lae (pop 76,255 ; local time 05:29:54.0 2011-08-24)
86 km NW Finschhafen (pop 1,054 ; local time 05:29:54.0 2011-08-24)

Magnitude mb 4.8
Region MINAHASA, SULAWESI, INDONESIA
Date time 2011-08-23 19:01:50.0 UTC
Location 1.24 N ; 120.49 E
Depth 30 km
Distances 249 km N Palu (pop 282,431 ; local time 03:01:50.2 2011-08-24)
97 km NW Baolan (pop 44,088 ; local time 03:01:50.2 2011-08-24)

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
There are injuries and the USGS is sort of warning of more

WASHINGTON (August 23, 2011)--) - A District of Columbia fire department spokesman said there are numerous injuries as a result of an earthquake that struck Tuesday near the nation's capital, but so far there are no reports of serious injuries or deaths.

Meanwhile U.S. Geological Survey geophysicist Don Blakeman says people on the East Coast should be ready for aftershocks after the magnitude-5.9 earthquake, which struck at 12:51 p.m. CDT and was centered in central Virginia.

DC Fire and EMS spokesman Pete Piringer said numerous buildings have been damaged, including the Ecuadorian embassy and a handful of schools.

He said thousands of people are milling about downtown after evacuating their buildings.

If a building has not sustained structural damage, the safest thing to do is to shelter in place, he said.

Piringer says all city fire trucks and ambulances were deployed in response to the earthquake and those that aren't responding to calls are driving around and looking for structural damage, injured people and other emergencies.

Federal officials said two nuclear reactors at the nearby North Anna Power Station were automatically taken off line by safety systems around the time of the earthquake, but no damage has been reported at the facility.

U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission spokesman Roger Hannah says the plant is being run off of four emergency diesel generators, which are supplying power for critical safety equipment.

The National Weather Service says no tsunami is expected.

www.kwtx.com...

It is really close to that reactor I find it hard to believe so shallow and so close nothing cracked or leaked.... hopefully not.

TIN FOIL HAT very very close to the following & almost directly under a nuke plant and also:

CIA HeadQuarters
Pentagon
US Dep of Defense Headquarters
Also the largest congregation and concentration of military bases/personel in the world (viginia)

???

Surely pre shocks a bit deeper first, some sign 1km down and here at this size???

scalar?

Elf

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Even to the Shetland Islands north of Scotland

LRW.GB..BHZ.2011.235

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I wonder what it would like like if you were to draw a direct line from Colorado, over to Oklahoma, through the microquake in east Tennessee, continuing to Virginia. It seems to be kinda like an arc. And there's the NMZ just above it.

Hell, I don't want to say it, but, Memphis is in the middle of the mess.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

Did the map I did not show that?

All that was missing was the line.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Here is Wales there was some shock on her face, about the time a wave would take to cross the atlantic, she said she did the feel the earth move, and her legs were shaking for some time afterwards!!

Should I report it to the USGS under did you feel it?

Seriously Puter as its depth is soo shallow, how deep would an 8+ have to be to have the same effect of slip movement/energy released directly above it to be comparible?

Whats the shallowest an 8 would be to have the same effect as an 5.9 at 5km?

Really appreciate it if you have the links/equation or number

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
This eastcoast quake was quite interesting!! The United States seem to be getting our fair share....

we gotta stop being so callous to quakes in other parts of the world and learn that we are not invincible!!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Robin Marks
I wonder what it would like like if you were to draw a direct line from Colorado, over to Oklahoma, through the microquake in east Tennessee, continuing to Virginia. It seems to be kinda like an arc. And there's the NMZ just above it.

Hell, I don't want to say it, but, Memphis is in the middle of the mess.

You have a point there!!

Gonna read into that because that is the speculation around here.....

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein

any connection to the earthquake felt in Sydney also?? Great job on the latitude connection between Colorado and VA....I know Sydney isn't on the same latitude, but is there any connections you think??

What quake in Sydney? Sydney, Australia?
There is nothing happening there .......................... or Virginia for that matter according to GeoAustralia
www.ga.gov.au...

Still its only 7am there

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Sorry, I did see the map. I think there's too much to absorb at the moment. Your map does show the general shape. I guess the line is all I was thinking about. I'm wondering if it is prominently an arc, or just similiar.

I was talking about Colorado, walked away for an hour, and I come back to dozens of pages. I read it all, but,

I can't even remember my own posts.

Did I post this?
www.sciencedaily.com...

www.newscientist.com...

I think I may shut the computer off and go fishing, or gardening.

money.cnn.com...

edit on 23-8-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

I saw a thread created in fragile earth also on Australia quake, maybe deleted for being false? There were to many new threads to keep up with.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

edit on 8/23/2011 by mugger because: double

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
ok draw your line now,,
now go
N
ccw,
at ,,speed,,,?

anyone?
edit on 23-8-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

dont forget too adjust for
N

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Should be on the volcano thread, but given everything else that is going on just to let you know Sukarajima volc (Japan) has just blown. I cannot get on any of the cameras to post a link. Take it all the recent eq's could have set her off again.

Rainbows
Jane

<< 206  207  208    210  211  212 >>

join