It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2011

page: 210
<< 207  208  209    211  212  213 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by westcoast

CBN.US.00.BHZ.2011.235

5.9?? Mmmmm.

Looks bigger than that

Something looks wrong with that trace, how it dips suddenly after the S wave, it should be of equal heights north and south along the timeline.regardless of the height
Where is the P wave? that station must be real close to the epicentre? (Edit: Answer 57.7km away)

Or this may actually have been a Nuclear Blast

Compare that trace with the info on this site

seismo.berkeley.edu...

and this comparison image from Verification Case Study: The Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty
www.ieer.org...

To add: With the varying depths reported 5km, 1km and I read herer 0.1km, is it possible this is an ICBM ( Inter Continental Ballistic Missile) accident???????????? Can't see anything on GE, looks like next to a normal farm. Still, only the USGovt (and the Russians?) know where they are hidden.

6.0 is about the size of the earthquakes the French had in Polynesia when they were underground Nuclear Testing there back in the 1970-80's.

edit on 23-8-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

its ok you can talk about now,, its officiall.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

Seriously Puter as its depth is soo shallow, how deep would an 8+ have to be to have the same effect of slip movement/energy released directly above it to be comparible?

Whats the shallowest an 8 would be to have the same effect as an 5.9 at 5km?

Really appreciate it if you have the links/equation or number

Of the 70 or so Mag 8 quakes between 1900 and 2002 in the centennial catalogue all but three average around 35 to 40 Km depth, so it is very unlikely that a mag 8 would be more than that. I have no idea how you could determine the effect, but I am 100% sure than even at that depth the effects on the surface in that area would be devastating.

The exceptions were:

Fiji, 400 Km
Columbia, 644 Km
Bolivia, 631 Km

A mag 8 quake is 1,995.3 time stronger than the quake today.

edit on 23/8/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Just out of interest, EMSC site seems 'frozen'. It is showing the 2.2 in Greece as having happened 27mins ago.....but this was an hour and a half ago!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Where is the P wave? that staion must be real close to the epicentre?

It went off under the station almost!

Agreed it does look a bit odd!

edit on 23/8/2011 by PuterMan because: To correct grammar wot I dun wrong.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

It is showing 35 minutes now which is about right.

Did someone forget to deduct an hour for British Summer (laugh) time perhaps?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
--->NEW TOPIC

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Building,,,

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by muzzy

Where is the P wave? that staion must be real close to the epicentre?

It went off under the station almost!

Agreed it does look a bit odd!

edit on 23/8/2011 by PuterMan because: To correct grammar wot I dun wrong.

You mentioned Nukes first

What we need is a few graphs from some stations further away (I edited in it was 57.7km) to compare with
Looking now.

Edit: OK FALSE ALARM ABOUT THE NUKEY THINGY
, looks like it was a standard quake, CBN must have been too close
heres one from GOGA, 704km away in Godfrey, Georgia
www.iris.edu...
edit on 23-8-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

WHAR.AG.00.HHZ.2011.235 Woody Hollow Arkansas 251 Km
CNNC.US.00.BHZ.2011.235 Cliffs of the Neuse - North Carolina - USA 296 Km (Cracking good plot)
ACSO.US.00.BHZ.2011.235 Alum Creek State Park - Ohio - USA 497 Km
LONY.US.00.BHZ.2011.235 Lake Ozonia - New York - USA 793 Km
WVT.IU.00.BHZ.2011.235 Waverley (One of the LISS instruments) 900 Km

And just for you Bob. Closest to Libya is WDD on Malta. WDD.MN..BHZ.2011.235
You can just make out the event.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

ok,,needs too be clarified,,
a rolling,,subduction,,along the bedrock,, from Toronto,,to Virginia,,,?

or a GD nuclear event??????????????

Can maybe someone,, figure which way this thread is going to go?

cause it is "quake" watch,,

but you might want to check the sizemo's from Tripoli
edit on 23-8-2011 by BobAthome because: not today,,bonehead. comand and control,,quake.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
This....
"© NAA nuclear power plant that was shut down after an earthquake struck central Virginia Tuesday had seismographs removed in 1990s due to budget cuts.

U.S. nuclear officials said that the North Anna Power Station, which has two nuclear reactors, had lost offsite power and was using diesel generators to maintain cooling operations after an 5.9 earthquake hit the region.

The North Anna plant, which was near the epicenter of Tuesday's quake, is reportedly located on a fault line.

The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission rates the plant as the seventh most likely to receive core damage from a quake. But they say the chances of that are only 1 in 22,727.

According to the Virginia Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy (DMME), the Virginia Tech Seismological Observatory (VTSO) removed all seismographs from around the plant in the 1990s due to budget cuts.

In February, Dominion Virginia Power confirmed its commitment to add a third reactor to the plant.

"While Dominion has not decided on the schedule to build the unit, the company will continue to move forward with the federal combined operating license process and preliminary site development work," Dominion CEO Thomas F. Farrell II said in a statement.

Update: Institute for Policy Studies (IPS) Senior Scholar Bob Alvarez told the Project on Government Oversight (POGO) that the North Anna plant was built to withstand a 5.9-6.1 quake. "

from here....

www.sott.net...

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I beat you

But only just I'd bet.
Is there a map anywhere to go with that Quakquery thing?, it would save a bit of time, I had to go via Virgina GS from USGS and find a few station codes first, Aa it happens their siesmos show nothing at all for 23rd Aug
panic.geos.vt.edu...

I like the address of their page though ..... www panic.geos

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I'm curious why we're not seeing a series of aftershocks. USGS is only listing 2 and the last one was 3 hours ago. The quake was felt in my area but I didn't feel it.
If anyone is interested, here's a story from my local paper...they actually evacuated some buildings!

ohio feels earthquake

if you do read the article you'll notice they get all the information wrong concerning the quake. It's a terrible paper and usually has more corrections than actual news
edit on 23-8-2011 by megabogie because: forgot something

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

See my post above yours....might help.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

I am American. Therefore clueless. LOL. I do not get the reference.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

I have all the real time stations on Google Earth. Point and shoot!

It does make seeing anything else difficult unless you zoom in.

www.iris.edu...

Go to realtime - click on network map - takes ages to load. In the top right hand corner you will see a Google Earth sign. That downloads a KMZ of all the stations.

Obviously you never looked at my post Where are publicly available seismos sited?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

I found the article I posted, just posted this evening on sott.nett. I thought it interesting that this nuclear power station (along with 5 other plants) have been affected by this eq. However this one in particular is about 5km from the epicentre I believe.
Muzzy was having problems finding other seismic charts further away from the epicentre of the eq. This article says that this plant had its recorders removed in the 90's. As far as I am aware, certainly here in the UK, every nuclear power plant has to have seismograms within a given distance from a power plant. Just found it interesting that this one had its seismos removed in the 90's!
Hmmmmm???

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by megabogie
I'm curious why we're not seeing a series of aftershocks. USGS is only listing 2 and the last one was 3 hours ago. The quake was felt in my area but I didn't feel it.
If anyone is interested, here's a story from my local paper...they actually evacuated some buildings!

ohio feels earthquake

if you do read the article you'll notice they get all the information wrong concerning the quake. It's a terrible paper and usually has more corrections than actual news
edit on 23-8-2011 by megabogie because: forgot something

Good observation. The reason that there are so few "aftershocks" is that mid-continental quakes are very different from those in the Ring of Fire. The reason is the faults release most of the energy all at once. Or, they are swarms that happen over a long period of time without a "mainshock". This is because it's crowded in the middle of the continent. North America is being squeezed. The fault to not have the same ability to move without much resistence.

There will be "aftershocks". It's just they may not be in Virgina. And this may be a "preshock". This is why I don't like using mainshock, foreshock, aftershock. Because the faults are moving all the time. Just sometimes incredibly slowly. This earthquake will affect another siemic zone. Another movement is sure to follow.

The New Madrid of 1811 was not a single event. There were three, with events all over the place in other regions.
Swarms before, during and after the "main events. The event was a series of events. Not a singular concept. But that's the way we like things. Defined, timed and dissected. In my mind, this is all part of the same dynamic. It started in Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas. Then it bounced over to Colorado, and then almost immediately it hit Virginia.

Maybe it's already reshuffled the deck and they'll be no more large ones. Maybe the stress is subsided and things will quiet down. I really, really doubt it. In my opinion, Memphis has a target on it.

The reason I doubt it mostly is that the magnitudes are building. Arkansas 4.7M. Colorado 5.3M. Virgina 5.9M.

The quakes from 1811 were over 6+M and probably over 7M.

Just out of curiosity, is your avatar thingy Dali?

Couldn't wait for the answer, it would have been obvious had I seen a clock.
Yes, it's Dali.

Did you know he ate for free? When he paid his bill at a restaurant he would draw a sketch on his cheque. The owner of the establishment would never cash it because they'd put it up on the wall for the customers to see.

edit on 23-8-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-8-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
This...
"Longs 14er on August 23, 2011, 7:08 PM
The duration of the virginia quake and the colorado is what I find odd. Is it normal for the signature to last almost 10 minutes for Colorado and 15 minutes for Virginia?"

From here....

bigthink.com...

Is it odd? Does it indicate anything else?

Rainbows
Jane

new topics

top topics

<< 207  208  209    211  212  213 >>

join