It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N. Korea Crisis - Updated as News come to hand

page: 142
<< 139  140  141    143  144  145 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Well South Koreans forces-US forces in South Korea have been at WATCHCON-2 for near a month now.

S. Korean Military Raises its Surveillance Alert to Watchcon-2

South Korea's defense ministry raised the surveillance alert level to its second-highest level on Wednesday a day after North Korea fired around 200 artillery shells onto the South Korean island of Yeonpyeong.

Watchcon

* WATCHCON 4 is in effect during normal peacetime.
* WATCHCON 3 is in effect amidst indications of an important threat.
* WATCHCON 2 is in effect amidst indications of a vital threat.
* WATCHCON 1 is in effect during wartime.

They are still at Watchcon-2.

It's 1313KST here -- no confirmation yet that artillery drill has commenced on Yeonpyeong. #Koreas 9 minutes ago via TweetDeck

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Why do people insist on ignoring reality and accepting obviously fake sites?

If Defcon level was changed, YOU WOULD KNOW IT.

NK attacking SK would not be any concern to American national security anyway, at least not beyond national interest and potential allegiances down the line.
Why do Americans always think the world revolves solely around them?

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

No I cannot, just saw in a post above that it is classified info.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
we would be the last to know the def con folks. I would say that most battalions prob. in the 82nd are on alert thou I am sure. But I really do not want to get all excited over this. For example defcon lets just watch and report. I don't want the trolls coming in clowning the ones getting excited.
edit on 19-12-2010 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tokala42
So has the drill started yet or not? It was supposed to start about 20 minutes ago I think.

No confirmation yet:

It's 1313KST here -- no confirmation yet that artillery drill has commenced on Yeonpyeong. #Koreas
10 minutes ago via TweetDeck

edit on 19/12/10 by Morgil because: (no reason given)

edit: Vitchilo beat me to it

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by PatriotsPride
reply to post by For(Home)Country

That was the first time i have seen that if it is incorrect i did not know,sorry about that,i was not trying to post misleading information.Is your link a more trusted source?

It's alright, the website you posted was a mock up for a gaming community. Proof can be found here: vfas524.tripod.com...

So no, Defcon isn't at 2 (If it was, we'd probably be running around going "wtf????"), the current defcon level is still at 4, at least as far as us civilians know.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

cause we are awesome
come on,. chill
No need to be defensive in this thread

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Seoul undertakes effort to measure North Korea's longevity

Hoping to better predict when North Korea might collapse, South Korea is spending $1.6 million to come up with a formula that measures the stability of the world's hardest-to-measure country.

The formula will take into account political loyalty in the military, recent economic output, even the ups and downs of leader Kim Jong Il's health - all despite a lack of verifiable information on any of those factors.

"The major problem with this is the lack of data," said one senior government official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the project, known as the North Korea Situation Index, is underway.

IMO it's a waste of money. Should invest in a new Silmido unit instead.

N.Korea prepares for retaliation

US destructive role in Northeast Asia

The protracted US backing of a vindictive South Korea has pushed the peninsula to the brink of war.

The reaction from the North, when faced with a live-fire artillery drill by South Korean forces on Yeonpyeong island, is predictable. Should the South proceed, a major military conflict cannot be ruled out.

This would spell out the worst scenario resulting from poor political judgment and lack of restraint from both sides. Apart from aimless bravado that may win plaudits from domestic supporters, there is nothing to gain for either side from a confrontation in which millions would suffer.

The US is thus not playing a responsible role. Despite its special envoy being sent to Pyongyang for dialogue, its support of these drills are only pushing North Korea to the edge.

While claiming to be standing guard for the South Korea, the US in fact will do the greatest harm to the South.

The escalation of the Korean crisis is bad news for China or Russia. However, tensions on the peninsula will provide the US, which is to blame for worsening intra-Korean relations, with a perfect excuse to "return to Asia."

Interesting to read the POV from an asian journalist.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by For(Home)Country

Thanks for the info!!

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
This might be very good news.

CNN: #DPRK tells NM Gov. Richardson in Pyongyang it would allow return of IAEA inspectors to ease tensions. 1 minute ago via TweetDeck

Too little too late?

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Morgil

Wonder if it'll be delayed again due to the weather, is there still fog over the island?

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

well look at that..

I think we are going to get em to talk. It will boil down to the exercises I think I dunno, history tells me it does not matter what is spoken diplomatically dec. 7th is a good example of that, especially when Japanese diplomats were in Washington discussing relations while the bombing of pearl harbor was in motion. But good news. We can start that inspection fiasco all over again.....

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tokala42
reply to post by Morgil

Wonder if it'll be delayed again due to the weather, is there still fog over the island?

Not sure about pyeongyeong but Seoul is pretty clear, visibility looks to be good. I could be different at pyeongyeong though, its about 80 miles to the west so it could well be still foggy. I posted earlier with a live feed of Seoul, here it is again:

Seoul Live

Shame I cant find a camera at the drill site lol.

link   
reply to post by Tokala42

The webcam in Seoul shows it's a clear sunny day over there right now at 1:34 PM in the afternoon.

www.kspo.or.kr...

Not too many ice skaters at their rink today, can't imagine why.

link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
This might be very good news.

CNN: #DPRK tells NM Gov. Richardson in Pyongyang it would allow return of IAEA inspectors to ease tensions. 1 minute ago via TweetDeck

Too little too late?

Ah!
And there we have it folks. NK backs down and uses another card to retract their threats.

LOL.

One day (possibly 2035?) they'll actually do it, but no one will pay any attention. Half an hour after they eventually fire we'll all be "what? you mean they actually did it?!"

I so just want to see KJI wiped off the face of the Earth.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Looks like it could very well be DOOM OVER!

1. CNN: #DPRK tells Richardson it agrees to ship fuel rods out of the country. #Koreas 6 minutes ago via TweetDeck

+1

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

I think that is a good sign that despite all their bravado they are scared to death of the reality they are facing down... this new war will be unlike anything they fought in the 50's.

Basically, this will be the end of NK if war breaks out and they know it... doesn't mean they won't do a lot of damage in the wake of it.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
weird... duplicate... my first I think.
edit on 19-12-2010 by YouAreDreaming because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

1. CNN: #DPRK tells Richardson it agrees to ship fuel rods out of the country. #Koreas 6 minutes ago via TweetDeck

+1

+2

time to get some rest..

glad to see some good diplomacy I suppose.. What a crazy relationship man..

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

+1

I agree that's good news, but isn't this whole fiasco about the drills and NK's claim to the area? This wasn't about nuclear proliferation, it's about SK firing shells into NK's perceived territory.

new topics

top topics

<< 139  140  141    143  144  145 >>

join