It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schwarzenegger signs California marijuana decriminalization bill

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
i probably need a clearer explaination from the posters here.

the situation is like the Federal Government signing a treaty for non-proliferation of nuclear weapons

now your trying to tell me that a State like California can side step the NPTreaty
and go ahead and create their own Nukes ...?

now just replace Nukes with Marijuana (pot)
the USA entered treaties with many world governments to prosecute Marijuana as a dangerous drug

in the interveining ~100 years, public knowlwdge & use of marijuana has shown it to be
not what they said it to be, and common useage is rampant...
but-> is California allowed or permitted to under cut the Federal governments treaty signing
on the criminal treatment of Pot...without also seceeding from the Federal Union??

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

More people will not worry about holding a joint on them
more people will therefore be caught with posession, and have to toss the state 100 bucks.

A genius move if I say so myself.

second line

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

i probably need a clearer explaination from the posters here.

the situation is like the Federal Government signing a treaty for non-proliferation of nuclear weapons

now your trying to tell me that a State like California can side step the NPTreaty
and go ahead and create their own Nukes ...?

now just replace Nukes with Marijuana (pot)
the USA entered treaties with many world governments to prosecute Marijuana as a dangerous drug

in the interveining ~100 years, public knowlwdge & use of marijuana has shown it to be
not what they said it to be, and common useage is rampant...
but-> is California allowed or permitted to under cut the Federal governments treaty signing
on the criminal treatment of Pot...without also seceeding from the Federal Union??

New York state has treated possession of under 25g of marijuana as a civil infraction punishable with a $100 fine by law since the late 70's.
It only becomes a misdemeanor if the possessor displays it in public, i.e. pulling it out of your pocket when a cop says just show it to me and we'll go easy on you, then it's a more severe offense.
As far as I know NYS hasn't seceded from the union. Doubt that CA will have to as a result of this "huge step forward"

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Isn't this just a stealth tax?

Lines sorry

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by RicketyCricket

Don't the independent growers have to get a license?

Do they have to collect sales taxes when distributing to the licensed markets that sell?

I do not know the whole technique the state plans on making money off of this.

That is what I am wondering.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Now if the rest of the states would just fall into line with Cali.
It's not about pot, its about personal freedom of choice and responsibility.

GO ARNOLD GO!!

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod

I applaud Schwarzenegger for doing this. It makes sense fiscally and I hope this will lead the way for other states and cities to change the way the look at simple possession of cannabis. I still think legalization is a decade or more away, without a doubt this is a step in the right direction and California will save money with issuing civil citations for possession of less than an ounce. Hopefully by local town will take note and realize they too can make money simply issuing tickets without the cost and time wasting court proceedings and incarceration.

www.examiner.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

I commend Schwarzenegger for this, hopefully it will start a president, this is long past due, legalization across the board is long past due, hope it doesn't take another 10 years, hemp hopefully will become legal again. Medical cannabis is legal in Michigan but the police raided three Clinics in my city recently, which blew me away, don't know what the outcome of that was/is. One hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
A medicial joint costs about $10 depending on how fat you roll it. This is a weed, and a joint should cost 10 cents. The value of it has been artificially stimulated. It is like a designer label. Soon, the real value of it will be what it sells for and it will be just like any other herb.

edit on 1-10-2010 by earthdude because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Whoa! About every post was in favor of Arnold Schwarzenegger's action and yet not giving any thought of the implications that this is going to have on America.

Even with a federal law forbidding the possession and use of marijuana, there's still a widespread epidemic of its use. Anyone who is in favor of this bill to decriminalize it has got to be aware that marijuana does in fact intoxicate a user to the point where they are useless to do anything that requires motor and intellect skills.

Drugs is one of the main reasons why the United States fall so far behind in the world,even third world nations, in academics. It's a real shame that the people of this nation would rather get high than to educate themselves to provide a better life for them and their family.

Shame on Arnold. [CENSORED] foreigner!

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

Yeah, drugs is the problem with education. Yeah, that is it.

That is where I will end. I will let everyone else have turns.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Arnold Schwarzenegger voice -
"Ahh gahh, with this bill will alloww you to smooke weed every day, arr ahhh gahh!"

Thanks for terminating plant prohibition Govenorator.

I think this would be a good time to invest in some kush.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling
use. Anyone who is in favor of this bill to decriminalize it has got to be aware that marijuana does in fact intoxicate a user to the point where they are useless to do anything that requires motor and intellect skills.

Same could be said about alchohol, which kills thousands of people every year.
Marijuana is harmless for the most part. Booze kills. Your liver doesn't die from MJ.

Some of the most productive, hardest working people I have known were pot heads.

I can think of many more harmful drugs than pot, and none that are less harmful. I would be more worried about the people on prescribed pain killers and anti-anxiety meds than pot heads.

The truth is....are you ready......

its harmless

although moderation is the key...as is with everything else.

just my 2 cents

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

From my observations I can say that a student that is high in class WILL NOT achieve anything near where student that's not high. If you'll look at the school drop outs, almost 100% of them is getting high and has lost all motivation for studying. Theyv'e given up on life. Nothing productive comes from sitting around and being stoned.

I've got a greeat idea. Send all dopers to California and see how things turn out in five years. While the nation is in dire need to have some kind of hope and restore our values, dopers applaud the prospect of something that makes them sit around and laugh at each other becoming legal or easier not be prosecuted for.

Hurray for the dopers! What a bunch of do nothing losers.

I will say it is not the kids fault for smoke dope. It's the parents fault becuse 9 out of 10, they're the ones that influence the kids. LOSERS!

edit on 1/10/10 by Intelearthling because: Add.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Great news - thank you Gov! Now all other states do the same!!

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
BTW, I do not advocate drug use. I just don't think that the current prohibition does anything to decrease drug use and actually makes drugs use...glamorous.

In this category of "Drugs", there are many substances that are thrown in & mixed with others that have been propagated to hell. That which has the ability to lift ones understanding of life, self, & the manifestation of humanistic characteristics, but it is overshadowed.

Like any controversial matter, the magnifying glass is zoomed in and focused on the negative aspects. Zoom out and more is revealed to you. Take Earth being the only planet inhabited with life for example
. The picture is much bigger.

It is in my opinion that we must rid of this labeling and previous understanding of this area of study and to start anew without Propaganda having an overall influence on our conclusion. We have literally been programmed to succumb to decisive conclusions as soon as the term pops up leaving no room for a mature incisive discussion.

If it is to be considered glamorous, it is my wish that people will take the time to figure out & learn why it may be deemed as such, so that they can provide insight on this controversial subject for the next person who may be curious of it.

Hurray for the dopers! What a bunch of do nothing losers.

@ Intelearthing, I knew of people in high school who extracted from Marijuana & excelled in their studies, & much more. I also know of people who are the complete opposite for the time being.

I applaud you Intelearthing, you are really incredible.

Here it is, the reason why those in "accepted" social standing should speak up and pay their dues to the elements to dispel expressions of bigotry

This is great news and a good opportunity to spread truthful awareness surrounding one of the spirit plants.

Those who use it without realizing its full potential, I hope they will come to understand.
Those who see it as it has been presented by TPTB, I hope they will come to understand.

One rotten apple in a tree does not render the rest the same.

Peace

edit on 1-10-2010 by la vie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Ah, and there is the problem right there.....
Kids smoking pot...
I am in agreement, its bad for developing minds, but what about the adults?
No one that I can see is suggesting children should smoke pot, its bad for thier heads.
It slows down the maturity growth of the brain in children.

But as an adult, should we not have the right to choose for ourselves?
Its a plant, one that can relieve stress and create a few hours of relaxing well being.
Why has it been taken away from us since the 1930's?
God forbid anyone has a chance to relax and feel peace of mind.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

I know quite a few potheads also and all they can think about is getting stoned. They don't have the initiative to further their education. They don't have the initiative to progress on the job. They're totally complacent about a week to week paycheck so they can buy their little bag.

I'll admit I've had my time with it and thought it was my right to do so, but now that I don't and I look back on all the time that was wasted on doing absolutely nothing just makes me sick.

Life is just too short to waste it by constantly getting stoned. Can't anyone enjoy life without dope. I'll admit that I used to consume alchol and I say the same thing about alcohol as I do any other drug. Why waste any time catching a buzz when there is so much to do that requires an alert mind. The feeling that a person can get from accomplishing something without the use of drugs or alcohol is almost indescribable. The focus is greater than any drug can give a person.

It's just a sad situation when people find pot, or any other drug for that matter, more important than life itself.

Life without drugs is better than any buzz a drug can give you. I know.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

reply to post by Darkblade71

Life without drugs is better than any buzz a drug can give you. I know.

Get high on life!

Agreed!

But at the same time, as a supporter of NORML, and someone who has been waiting for these steps for years, I am glad to see the change. The money wasted on locking up pothead,burning crops,and throwing users in jail would be much better spent locking up crack dealers, methheads and spent on education against drug ABUSE and treatment.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

If pot was not around those guys would just be using another drug like alcohol, which is much more harmful. Save lives, legalize. It is not decriminalized for children. I would rather them smoke pot than drink. They are going to alter their concsiousness regardless of what laws are on the books. We must stop ruining lives with laws that do more harm than the plant could ever do. The right to our own brain is an essential human right. If you are against it you are against humanity.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

If it takes a fiscal approach to begin dealing with the drug issue, then so be it. There is some good information out there regarding the financial mechanics of decriminalization and the figures aren't as magical as some would like us to believe. Need to remember what site I was reading that on.

If this all goes through as planned, then I hope it becomes the catalyst for a more sensible and less dogmatic dialogue on the use of drugs within society.

Edit: It is time to stop treating addicts as criminals and recognize them as people with a problem.

edit on 1-10-2010 by LarryLove because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join