It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schwarzenegger signs California marijuana decriminalization bill

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+47 more 
posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

www.examiner.com

California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger signed a bill Friday morning that decriminalizes possession of marijuana in the state.

Those caught with less than an ounce of marijuana will still receive a maximum penalty of $100. However, Senate Bill 1449 reduces the legal categorization of marijuana possession from a misdemeanor to a civil infraction. This means that those caught will not have to appear in court, pay court fees or receive a criminal record.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.modernmom.com
toppayingideas.com
www.mercurynews.com

+9 more 
posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I applaud Schwarzenegger for doing this. It makes sense fiscally and I hope this will lead the way for other states and cities to change the way the look at simple possession of cannabis. I still think legalization is a decade or more away, without a doubt this is a step in the right direction and California will save money with issuing civil citations for possession of less than an ounce. Hopefully by local town will take note and realize they too can make money simply issuing tickets without the cost and time wasting court proceedings and incarceration.

www.examiner.com

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Good news... Finally...

I hope this will lead to a more serious look at the benefits of legalization and a greater understanding of the benefits of cultivation and use of Cannabis.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
What do you mean a decade away? Isn't prop 19 about legalizing it?

And I am not referring to the federal component. We all know the feds are tyrants and totalitarians.

What I am talking about is the proposition 19, is that not about legalization?

To deal with the fed component, all that needs to be done is for a sheriff to actually do their job and enforce state law. Federal law has no authority if it does not exist in the Constitution. The last thing I learned about prohibition, it takes a Constitutional Amendment to create a prohibition on a substance.

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Don't the people go to the polls this November in California to make it totally/fully/100% LEGAL?...

This is truly the only thing that can save the State.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
well done Ca, now let's hope Uncle Sam respects the decision. Hopefully more states follow suit. It's high time for a celebration.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

Prop 19 is about the legalization, but, the folks in Northern California rely on the money generated by growing operations. If it is legalized, the entire "Emerald Triangle" will lose tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars every single year. The balance needs to be struck properly. I would personally love to see it pass, but doubt it will happen in a month.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
This could be the first step to something really good.
Hopefully the fed gets a hint as to the public's wishes.
Now maybe NORML (chaired by Carl Sagan's widow, no less
) will have more traction in getting other states to follow.
I can only hope because I'm not moving to CA.

edit on 10/1/2010 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Doesn't this put California at odds with Federal Law?

I mean, how soon before this becomes a "State sovereignty" issue?

I can't help but wonder at the fiscal impact this might have....

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
About time!
Detroit votes on this this year also.

Detroit

Detroit

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower
What do you mean a decade away? Isn't prop 19 about legalizing it?

I meant of the federal level, it is probably a decade away before legalization, possibly longer in some states if it becomes a state issue. I don't think prop 19 will pass, look how prop 8 got shot down. I think the same thing will happen in November to prop 19. For the record I live on the East Coast so I won't get to vote on prop 19.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
This will help Califonria fiscally. Good move by Arnold

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Good news!

I am no longer a smoker, but I think this has every right to be fully legal. every unbias study has shown it is no worse than alcohol and/or smoking...regulate it and tax it I say.

They are one step away from this making California one hell of a tourist trap in the US again...nice one Governator.

and ya, it will be interesting to see the federal response overall.

F the feds in this particular instance

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
This will help Califonria fiscally. Good move by Arnold

More people will not worry about holding a joint on them

more people will therefore be caught with posession, and have to toss the state 100 bucks.

Yep, this is going to be a cash cow.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
One step at a time my friends, one step at a time. I am so glad to see this. Of course I disagree with even the $100 dollar penalty but all that matters is that this is PROGRESS!

edit on 1-10-2010 by changetheworld because: spelling and grammar

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod

www.examiner.com

California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger signed a bill Friday morning that decriminalizes possession of marijuana in the state.

Those caught with less than an ounce of marijuana will still receive a maximum penalty of $100. However, Senate Bill 1449 reduces the legal categorization of marijuana possession from a misdemeanor to a civil infraction. This means that those caught will not have to appear in court, pay court fees or receive a criminal record.

Related News Links:
www.modernmom.com
toppayingideas.com
www.mercurynews.com

That is great news but only a start ,but all the same it is reason for celebration!!! og nevills haze for everyone
keep them rolling!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by RicketyCricket

Oohhh, the poor government controlled and regulated companies will get hurt. Poor them.

I am sure the state will make it illegal to grow your own without a license costing $1000's of dollars a year.

Or they will institute a sales tax and if caught selling without paying there will be a mandatory $1 million dollar fine and 10 years in jail.

Cannot tell I distrust government, can you?

Yay freedom!

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Billions of dollars will flow to California. This is from the illegal export of the medicine. If other states don't follow suit they will flounder in this economy. Only a fool would be against decriminalization in his state. It looks like fools are running most of the country.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

Haha! I am referring to the "independent" growers. The Mom and Pop operations up there in Yumboldt.. err, Humboldt county that use the proceeds from the grow ops to buy food at local grocers, eat at local restaurants etc.

F the corporations. Let them rot with everyone else.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I think that all drugs should be legalized.

My logic is as follows. Anyone can get just about any drug any time they want currently. True drug addicts commit violent crime to get money to spend on drugs.

Legalization of drugs would take the bottom out of the drug market. It would take the profit incentive out of selling drugs. It would bankrupt the criminal gangs that control the drug trade including the Taliban that gets much of it's funding from selling opium.

We could then make treatment available, for free, to all people addicted to drugs. I think that it should still be a criminal offense to drive while under the influence.

I read once, that 85% of crime is tied to drugs. Legalize drugs, get rid of most crime.

I see this as a good first step.

BTW, I do not advocate drug use. I just don't think that the current prohibition does anything to decrease drug use and actually makes drugs use...glamorous.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join