It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So You Wanna Fight? ATS Debate Tournament (Tournament Update)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I'm intrigued and curious how the debates go here. I haven't been around long enough to have observed them in progress. I am definitely interested but will just watch and participate only in the related forums I guess...if that's cool. Then hopefully next time, knowing what to expect, I will mop the floor-- erm-- face an opponent in debate.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

Topics are pre-selected and assigned to two participants randomly. Each participant's position in each debate is also assigned randomly. The people doing the work behind the scenes will usually try to pick a few humdingers for later in the tournament.

But participants aren't permitted to request topics or request positions. Everything is done randomly.

Nobody knows what they have or what position they have until the debate is posted.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I would love to participate if at all possible. Sometimes, I think I'm a little too argumentative so why not put it to good use a constructive debate?

--airspoon

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
For those of you who are interested in participating but lack ATS fighting experience, you may want to consider trying your hand at a non-tournament challenge match. These matches follow the exact same debate rules and are an excellent way to get your fighting feet wet.

edit on 9/9/2010 by maria_stardust because: spelling error

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Please allow me to tell you what actually happens.

They purposely find the subjects you are the least likely to know anything about. Then, through careful research and sadistic planning they put you on the opposite side that you would normally take in the debate.

Trust me, these people who come up with these debate tournaments are truly evil.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

Debate Tournament: Sign Up!

I'll participate.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

The debates are so much better. It's not a flame war, it's a structured debate on a subject with only two people participating. Instead of the insanity that goes on normally, a real definitive debate occurs. Instead of hating the person you debate, most of the time you find a lot of respect for your opponent.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Yeah, i've seen the debates, they are pretty good.

Problem is, I don't have time to participate in them and with my luck, I'd get a subject that I oppose or don't know much about like UFOs.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Well I would join in except I already know that I'm right

I'm right and you're wrong and that's all there is to it!

In all seriousness - I prefer regular conversation to heated debate so I'll stick to the boards here.

One question though - will everyone, 'us regulars' - be able to see these debates?

I would like to read them anyway.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
If there is any room left in this shindig, I would love to participate.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
The structured debates that happen in the Debate Forum, both tournaments and challenge matches, are not about the topic.. I want to make that perfectly clear.

They are about your ability to debate.. Any side, any topic.

That is why the topics and "sides" are chosen absolutely randomly. If you participate, you will eventually find yourself arguing a side of an issue that you do not believe in. That is the true challenge... You will also find yourself arguing a topic you are not interested in and have no knowledge about.. (Until you research it for the debate of course)

I personally love the Debate Forum as in my opinion, it shows the true caliber of ones intellect and reasoning skills as no other place on ATS.

Also of note.

All of the Terms and Conditions and rules and regulations for ATS are still in effect during any debate, in fact we like to think our "Fighters" can hold themselves to an even higher standard.

Excitement, Challenge, Interesting Topics... WOW

Who could ask for more...????

If anyone has any questions I am available via U2U and I check them at least once each day..

Good luck to everyone ...

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Current Participants So Far (Subject to change)

chissler
whatukno
ProtoplasmicTraveler
Parallex
OzWeatherman
Rising Against
spy66
noeyesnoearsnofacenof
getreadyalready
JimIrie
Y2KJMan
KrazyJethro
Esoteric Teacher
airspoon
LordBucket
Jean Paul Zodeaux

Still plenty of time to sign up..

If we get more than 16, we can either expand the tournament or run two consecutive.. Don't worry, if you want to join and are committed, we will make it work..

edit on 9/9/2010 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Put me on the list, senior.

.....pwitty pwease?????

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I'm up for this! I have a lot to bring to the table and I would respect my other debaters. This is going to awesome.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
It's been awhile since I was in a Tournament...and there are some really strong candidates here...

I think that I would like to tentatively place myself on the list...

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Double Post...

edit on Thu, 09 Sep 2010 22:48:55 -0500 by MemoryShock because: To remove sensless repetition...

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I would officially like to be counted in for this debate, sounds like a gas. Get ready for war! or peace depending on which side I get, huh? HUH?

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Double post part II The Quickening

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

Please allow me to tell you what actually happens.

They purposely find the subjects you are the least likely to know anything about. Then, through careful research and sadistic planning they put you on the opposite side that you would normally take in the debate.

Trust me, these people who come up with these debate tournaments are truly evil.

Sounds great!

I'll do it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join