It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP Decides To Wait A Few More Days Before Attempting To Close The Well

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   

BP Decides To Wait A Few More Days Before Attempting To Close The Well

www.businessinsider.com

Turns out BP was being overly optimistic again. Here's a 10 PM release:
Following a meeting with Secretary Chu and his team of scientific and industry experts, the National Incident Commander announced that additional analysis of the well testing procedure should be performed before starting the well integrity test.
This analysis will be conducted tonight and into tomorrow. Consequently, the well integrity test did not start today.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
What the?!?! Didn't the news ALL say that the new cap was successfully installed?!?! More BS!! Why would we be lied to?! Maybe they know that we are on the verge of panic, and will finally stand up to their lies, and incompetence.

www.businessinsider.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   
This is not as simple as they first said.

I believe the engineers have known all along the only way to stop the flow is from the bottom (relief wells), and all this BOP stuff is just a dog and pony show.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   
the well was sealed, what is being delayed is the integrity test where they put a calculated stress on the cap to see if it will hold up to fluctuating conditions.

basically all of that precaution that they should have used in the beginning they are over exercising now

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I don't think I would go so far as to say it is sealed. It has the new 'top' pieces on it...but it has NOT been closed, or sealed or even reduced the flow. The same oil is coming out, only a little further up a new pipe. Not until they close all the (rams?) and everything holds, is it actually 'sealed'. Even then, I don't think their intent is to completely shut it off, but slow it enough so they can collect most of what is left coming out: ie., make as much off it as possible, which was the whole point from the begining, right?

Problem is, the new, heavy-duty pieces are only as strong as the weakest point. I think perhaps part of the problem is that when they started testing (i saw some of the pressure gauges go up and then suddenly drop) it may have indicated the oil was simply being forced out somewhere else. (speculation on my part)

Let me make a prediction: BP will make ANOTHER announcement this friday that they look forward to 'containing' it before the end of the weekend. Just in time for the good news to help their stock go up. Funny how that works, isn't it?

[edit on 14-7-2010 by westcoast]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
This should be in a the deepwater disaster forum

I don't mean offence but thats the right forum for all this BP stuff..

S&F anyway just for you!

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Whats happening with hurricane/storm season? Are there still potential risks of a storm causing more problems with the oil spill?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by monkeySEEmonkeyDO

They did show the flow completely stopped, if that was really a live feed. There is a growing 100 ft fracture in the sea floor several miles away from the main well. It is spewing oil and gas according to the University team that has been monitoring it. Any pressure reduction at the well will cause an equal pressure increase up through that fracture. BP knows this and it looks like they are not sure what will happen if they try to close the well off. They still want that oil.

This whole situation is borderline bat# crazy. The POTUS is AWOL. A foreign corporation has armed private security blocking public access to public land and the MSM acts like it's just on of those things. The scientists and chemists are reporting lethal amounts of toxic and explosive vapors and particles in the air and water and BP WILL FIRE ANY WORKER WHO USES THEIR OWN RESPIRATOR.

Lifelong student. Part time analyst. Sometime clairvoyant.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

The season just started and there will be a catastrophic event if any one or more cat 3-5 hurricanes crosses the gulf from se to nw or sw to ne and any direction in between. A big storm surge would make all the ground the water covered unihabitable. The toxic rain could fall on 1/3 of the U.S. decimating crops and causing millions of people serious illness in a short period of time. Will also cause some unknown number of cancers over a long period of time.

Lifelong student. Parttime analyst. Sometime clairvoyant.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Why don't they report on the relief well that was supposed to "arrive" this week ?
Has it failed ?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by rajaten
Whats happening with hurricane/storm season? Are there still potential risks of a storm causing more problems with the oil spill?

That's what BP is waiting for, a good hurricane to complete the mission.

After the mission is complete, they can then stop the leak.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
After conducting seismic surveys of the area, it seems BP, the Federal Energy Secretary and the US Geological Survey are very concerned about the surrounding seabed according to this Guardian article: www.guardian.co.uk...

Experts have said an unstable area around the well could create bigger problems if the leak continues elsewhere when the cap valves are shut.

It was unclear whether there was something in the results of the mapping that prompted officials to delay the tests. Earlier, the BP vice-president, Kent Wells, said he hadn't yet heard what the results were, but he felt "comfortable that they were good".

Allen met officials from federal energy secretary and the head of the US Geological Survey as well as BP officials and other scientists after the mapping was done.

"As a result of these discussions we decided that the process may benefit from additional analysis," he said. He didn't specify what type of analysis would be done.

Maybe they are worried that a pressure build up after shutting off the leak could cause the seabed to collapse?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I don't think this is going to work www.jtnog.org... check out camera nine oil is coming out from the bottom of the bop at least i think its the bop.
So what would happen if they put cap on

My opinion its not going to work.

Thankyou

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by WATCHER.1

I'm not disputing the whole seabed fracture story, but I have yet to see anything that actually confirms this. Do you, or anyone else have a link to something credible?

I read an article at Helium that stated the research vessel had found it, but the link went to something else. I went to the home page for the sciecne vessel and there was no mention of it.

If there IS a 100 foot fissure, leaking oil/methane, etc. that is HUGE. For me personally though, I need something more than one article from an unknown passed around the backroom interent sites....it needs to be backed up. Anyone???

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I agree, is HELIUM credible ? Is Terrence Aym just a journalist or is he a scientist too ? He has been putting some serious over the top claims out there if you ask me. I would like to see more proof too... just sayin

new topics

top topics

join