It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING NEWS! Scientists have found evidence of life on Saturn's biggest moon Titan!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Just saw this on Google news.. I think its ust another step closer to discloser.

They discovered clues that primitive aliens are breathing its atmosphere and feeding on fuel at the surface. Orbiting spacecraft Cassini probed the complex surface of Titan - the solar system's only moon known to have a dense atmosphere. Organic chemicals, like methane, had already been detected on the 3,200-mile-wide moon. Scientists expect life there to be methane-based - instead of water-based like human beings. Research in science publication Icarus shows that hydrogen gas flowing down through Titan's atmosphere disappears at the surface - suggesting it could be being breathed by alien bugs. Another paper in the Journal of Geophysical Research reports a lack of the acetylene on the surface, leading boffins to believe it may be being consumed as food. The Open University's Prof John Zarnecki said: "We believe the chemistry is there for life to form. It just needs heat and warmth."

Link

Another link

Link

Link

Link

Edit to add links

[edit on 4-6-2010 by pavelivanov22]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I think it's time to pull out the whine. Thanks for the link! S&F

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Wonder what they will discover next?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Smell like ... c.r.a.p... Is the site even serious? or "official". It's notwhere but there which means, it's like --.. a bunch of invented news.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by pavelivanov22

Hopefully intelligent life forms in our solar system

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

That will have an idea how to clean up the oil spill

[edit on 4-6-2010 by pavelivanov22]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by korats

Here's another link with the same news. arstechnica.com...

link   
This is a tabloid website guys.

link   

I agree with you Che.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

So that means it's faked?

[edit on 4-6-2010 by Romantic_Rebel]

link   
This is purely speculation... Finding clues isn't anything.

link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Thanks for the link i put it on the topic.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   

You're welcome amigo! Glad to share in the news.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
whoa!! cool.. the earth may not be the only place where life exists (other than, maybe mars).. really looking forward to seeing how this news pans out..

i would like to wonder what these alien species look like.. are they similar to ours on earth.

hit the road jack

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
If thats a tabloid site,
What does that say for the night life
on the dark side of the moon?

Anus of Uranus by Klaatu
(one the coolest guitar songs every IMHO)

Late last night while wishing on a star
Down from the sky came a man in a car
He said "Get in, Jackson
Come on let's go for a ride"
Outta sight

Sitting in the cockpit strapped down in a chair
I said, "Hey, tell me
What's that over there?"
He said, "Meet my computer."
He's a friendly son of a gun and we're having fun

Playing cards on Venus in a cloudy room
Pass a glass of ammonia, I got to get off soon
Sunbathin' on Mercury or jammin' on Jupiter
Which do you prefer?

It's getting pretty late, I got to go home
Nice to have met you, what's your telephone?
Maybe soon I'll call you
If I can afford the fare
It's long distance out there

Anus of Uranus, he's a friend of mine
He's a first-rate party and a real fine time
Anus of Uranus, he's a friend of mine
He's a first-rate party and a real fine time

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by outbackjack1567
whoa!! cool..

You bet. It is so cool there that it rains liquid methane, and has formed lakes of liquid methane.

It is so cold there, that any kind of life as we know it could not possibly exist there.

But, it is fun to speculate.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

They find bacteria in the coldest parts of Antarctica so why not there?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

The Sun isn't a very good source, here are some reliable ones in this matter:

newscientist.com

jpl.nasa.gov

dailymail.co.uk

Now is just wait for a exploration rover to confirm (or not) their guesses.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Pavelivanov22.....

Thanks for your interesting articles!

The full text from the 2nd link encompasses a rather more informative & calmer commentary:

”Something strange is afoot in the atmosphere of Saturn's moon Titan, according to data sent back from the Cassini mission. Data returned from a spectrometer on Cassini indicates that there's a large flux of hydrogen in the moon's atmosphere, with the gas forming in the upper atmosphere and being removed from the atmosphere at Titan's surface. We don't currently know what process is ensuring its removal, but the amounts of hydrogen being taken out of the atmosphere are consistent with an earlier proposal of methane-based life.
Titan's atmosphere is rich in hydrocarbon compounds, and chemical changes in the upper atmosphere are driven by the arrival of ultraviolet light from the sun. One of the expected results of the UV exposure is the liberation of molecular hydrogen from methane via a process that produces more complex hydrocarbons. With little oxygen to react with, the molecular hydrogen should remain stable. Some of it will escape into space, but a new paper indicates that a substantial amount of that hydrogen migrates down through the atmosphere towards Titan's surface.

Since it's not accumulating there, some chemical process must be removing it from the atmosphere; right now, we don't know what that process is, and, as NASA's own news piece on the topic notes, the first option for scientists is to consider simple chemistry.

However, the abstract of the paper notes that this level of hydrogen consumption is consistent with an earlier prediction of methanogenic life. In short, the life would get its energy by "burning" the hydrogen with a carbon source instead of oxygen, releasing methane (CH4) in the process. The source of the carbon is where a second paper (not yet online) comes in. Models of Titan's upper atmosphere suggest that significant amounts of acetylene should be produced by the reactions there, and this would provide an excellent source of carbon to any hypothetical metabolisms. The surprise of the second paper is that there's very little acetylene to be found on Titan's surface.
Two chemical enigmas certainly don't constitute life, and the authors of the latter paper provide a variety of ways to account for the acetylene shortage that don't involve an organism. It's also important to remember that there won't be anything resembling liquid water on the surface of Titan, so anything alive there would have to be living in a methane/ethane soup (not to mention at temperatures nearing -200°C).

Scientists are a cautious bunch, and it's likely that these results will remain in limbo for a while. The discovery of plumes of methane in the atmosphere of Mars was another chemical enigma that might be evidence for life. It's been about a year and a half since their announcement and nobody has come up with a satisfying explanation for their presence (at least as far as I'm aware), but the scientific community is nowhere close to ready to call that conclusive evidence for life.”

arstechnica.com...

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by One Step Beyond...

The Sun isn't a very good source, here are some reliable ones in this matter:

newscientist.com

jpl.nasa.gov

dailymail.co.uk

Now is just wait for a exploration rover to confirm (or not) their guesses.

Much better, would be nice if the OP could edit those links into his post for others.

This is great news, hopefully leading into something much bigger. This still is not "Confirmed: life is elsewhere" it is "Good chance life elsewhere".

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join