It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING NEWS! Scientists have found evidence of life on Saturn's biggest moon Titan!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by One Step Beyond...

Thank you i added your links as well.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by One Step Beyond...
reply to post by pavelivanov22

The Sun isn't a very good source, here are some reliable ones in this matter:

newscientist.com

jpl.nasa.gov

dailymail.co.uk

Now is just wait for a exploration rover to confirm (or not) their guesses.

thank you OSB for this.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I think it's definitely quite possible. Titan is one of the most interesting bodies floating around in our solar system if you ask me.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Did you notice what's surprising? A life form, not based on water, but on methane!

That opens a whole new door as we have always been told: no water, no life!

Quite a sudden change...

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Did you notice what's surprising? A life form, not based on water, but on methane!

That opens a whole new door as we have always been told: no water, no life!

Quite a sudden change...

Huh? Sorry for double post!

Seeing the pic of Titan in green is surprising... Is it one that is in "true non-modified false color in black and white extrapolated with no JPEG artifact removal applied raw false colors" NASA style or some such?!?

Because in my opinion, green could be a methane explanation...

[edit on 4-6-2010 by Aresh Troxit]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I don't know if you guys knew about an old Nasa satellite that was put on orbit using the high-tech life detection systems directed at EARTH, and the probe sent some very high methane readings meaning life here would be impossible...
Sometimes this "new" probes seems to be having the "old earth reading" on the news.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Very interesting. I always wonder though why people always think that only bacteria could exist there. Yes bacteria are known to exist on earth within these parameters, but that does not mean that other life forms cannot. I"m hoping for multi-celled organisms to be found. Perhaps like a strange methane equivalent rain forest.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Acetylene is disappearing obviously somethings breathing or eating it. Thats the first thing that jumped to my mind........

Theres also an undiscovered species maybe originally from mars living in my dryer eating socks. They disappear so obviously there is life in there.

I smell scientist looking for some funding this is a frigging joke.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SiKFury
Acetylene is disappearing obviously somethings breathing or eating it. Thats the first thing that jumped to my mind........

Theres also an undiscovered species maybe originally from mars living in my dryer eating socks. They disappear so obviously there is life in there.

I smell scientist looking for some funding this is a frigging joke.

Things don't just disappear. Anyways, socks disappearing in a dryer isn't a strong argument, due to the socks and the dryer being made by life forms.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Not to mention its lack of a stable magnetic field. Alive things don't like radiation. Maybe theres a life form that eats cosmic solar radiation you might say. Ya sure and maybe some life forms live off hugs. Both are about as likely.

Heres were Astrobiologist biologist start waving imaginary magical dustpans in the air as the crowd oooes and ahhhhs whilst dollar signs take the place of their eyes not unlike cartoon characters.

Ill tell you what. Go to a lab, recreate what we do know about this amazing moon. Then make some friggin life.

Go here if you want to learn some real stuff about Titan saturn.jpl.nasa.gov... Just avoid the imaginary mumbo jumbo this topic is.

If a private individual wants to theorize in the subject and send up his/her own space probes that doesnt include MILLIONS of dollars of MY tax money more power to him/her.

Whats good about this is western science laughs Russia and China up and down the block about trying to Scientifically study pysiweapons anti grav and other weird interesting stuff. Though ET is an interesting subject Astrobiology is right up there with ghost goblins and astral projection.

Edit to ad: Crazy speculation and crazy theories are great however when scientist, people who society holds up above your normal average joe start calling wild speculation AT BEST into sensationalist dribble then passed to the public as basically a fact it gets me. Im suprised at the end of the article they didnt say 9 out of 10 doctors that already agree with us think the same thing. Sell me on the science not this hyped up national enquierer head line.
[edit on 4-6-2010 by SiKFury]

[edit on 4-6-2010 by SiKFury]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
This is great news. It looks like we've got way more chance of finding out if it really is life or not. The Martian methane mystery is on the back-burner for a few years, but Cassini will be flying past a few more times.

"These new results are surprising and exciting," said Linda Spilker, Cassini project scientist at JPL. "Cassini has many more flybys of Titan that might help us sort out just what is happening at the surface."
NASA: What is Consuming Hydrogen and Acetylene on Titan?

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Aresh Troxit

A methane-based life would move the goalposts in our search for life. Something else could come out of it too...

Moons?

We're looking for exo-planets that could harbour life and ruling out those that have harsh conditions. Perhaps in future we'll be looking for moons instead?

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I think it's good news. Hopefully the Phobos disclosure will be stunning in September.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

I began 10 years ago to write to some science organisations and asked why methane was not considered as a proof of life, since it was discovered on some moons, as all I could find as generators of methane were plants...

I never got an answer from anyone... but finally, they've come to their sense...

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade

Originally posted by outbackjack1567
whoa!! cool..

You bet. It is so cool there that it rains liquid methane, and has formed lakes of liquid methane.

It is so cold there, that any kind of life as we know it could not possibly exist there.

But, it is fun to speculate.

Regarding that, we know nothing about. We keep finding life in the most strange places right here on this very Earth. How about alien life forms.

Besides when people say life in other planets, people instantly think of greys, but life can be the most simple of all organisms, a mere bacteria, or virus.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
From the JPL NASA link provided by the OP.

To date, methane-based life forms are only hypothetical. Scientists have not yet detected this form of life anywhere,

Nothing has been discovered guys, the fist article is The Sun and considering they are the fine journalistic source who brought you Bat boy.... I would not take them to seriously.

It appears they took speculation and spun it to appear as if some primitive life form has been found. This is not the case. The only thing that has taken place is speculation as to why methane is behaving the way it is at the surface of Titan.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
As much as i would love to know/meet new life from other planets.I believe we should take care of our own planet before we have a chance to scrrew up someone elses planet. Just thinking out loud guys.i love ats

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
double post.

[edit on 5-6-2010 by Still Naive?]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by pavelivanov22

Did this "scientist" seriously say that bugs breathing in hydrogen gas need heat and warmth to survive? What in the name of God is this man thinking?

I don't understand why "scientists" keep insisting for life to be on other planets, it needs this perfect balance for life to blossom. If bugs can BREATHE in hydrogen gas, what the #@*@ makes them think these bugs need heat and warmth to survive? Seriously...it's old, throw this "needing the sun to survive" @*!* out the window already.

Our rules of life and survival do not, and most likely will not, apply to other species.

Great find, but when something like this is discovered, lets not jump on the dead horse of "how are they living??? Theres NO sunlight and warmth!?!?". Instead, lets sit back an analyze how they are living the way they are...and chances are when this information is disclosed, the whole "perfect balance for life" theory will be tossed right out the window.

/end rant

[edit on 5-6-2010 by Still Naive?]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
From the JPL NASA link provided by the OP.

To date, methane-based life forms are only hypothetical. Scientists have not yet detected this form of life anywhere,

Nothing has been discovered guys, the fist article is The Sun and considering they are the fine journalistic source who brought you Bat boy.... I would not take them to seriously.

It appears they took speculation and spun it to appear as if some primitive life form has been found. This is not the case. The only thing that has taken place is speculation as to why methane is behaving the way it is at the surface of Titan.

You know what else is hypothetical?

The Law of Physics.

It's the best way we can predict motion and forces, but we probably are not spot on.

I suppose Physics should be ignored.

What has been discovered is a strange anomaly with the methane and Titan. And the best we can do is hypothesize on what may be the cause. Not turn our heads away, close our eyes and cover our ears at the possibility of something we cannot comprehend yet.

Yeah, it is speculation, but our ability to speculate is what sets us as humans apart from all other life forms as we know it. Speculation and experimentation leads to discoveries.

[edit on 5-6-2010 by BlubberyConspiracy]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join