It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to make fishing illegal ANYWHERE!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
More BS.... the topic I just more BS
It's fine, I will still fish. Small lakes will not be regulated.
This is a crock anyway

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawaiinguy12
The topic says it all. Obama is planning to make it illegal to fish in any of the nation's oceans, coastal areas, Great Lakes, and even inland waters.

Fishing is illegal

This seems like the first step towards it being illegal to grow or capture your own food. Only the governments poison food is legal to eat. We wouldn't want the dumb American slave to be able to live a long and prosperous life now would we?

Thoughts and comments on this madness are always welcomed

This will destroy the small fishing island in FL where I reside...

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Where has common sense gone to? I just cannot believe that we are arguing about such things!!
We are overfishing, and that is TRUE. The demand for fish is so great, especially with our growing population, that we will eat our fishy brethren into extinction. Plain and simple.
As for full disclosure, I go out and eat sushi every weekend. But what is worse? Eating fish into extinction or leaving fish populations alone for a few years so that they can recuperate and we can then enjoy them again?
Some of the best tuna have to be decades old in order to have a certain taste.
People, we will just have to live with farm raised salmon, tuna, catfish for awhile. In my opinion, this trumps your fishing rights than not having fish at all. It's all about moderation...folks...

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Fishing isn't going to be outlawed, relax you Obama haters.

And you know what, even if it was, I wouldn't complain. Fish are in enough trouble with the toxic wastes spilled into rivers, lakes and the oceans.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Even if this "story" was a parallel to the OP title, it would be unenforceable. I can't even see how the slant as painted by the OP link gets to that sorrowful point.

People will always fish for food. If a governmental entity controls the food and water, they control everything. Game over. Control sportfishing? It's already done to an extent, at least among several nations. Control commercial fishing? That's an issue that needs to have measurable parameters geared toward a global sustainability, but how to divide that desire between nations with a need to feed their masses?

I just dont' see this happening, and it pisses me off to say so, as I'd love to file this away under my favorites folder called "Obama FUBARS". Regrettfully, I think the story is not a keeper. I hope it doesn't become so.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
If he does this he will lose all his black supporters here...he has allready lost all the whites

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawaiinguy12
The topic says it all. Obama is planning to make it illegal to fish in any of the nation's oceans, coastal areas, Great Lakes, and even inland waters.

Fishing is illegal

This seems like the first step towards it being illegal to grow or capture your own food. Only the governments poison food is legal to eat. We wouldn't want the dumb American slave to be able to live a long and prosperous life now would we?

Thoughts and comments on this madness are always welcomed

Gathering food is a right to life granted to us by our creator, these laws mean nothing to natural flesh and blood living souls, it only applies to 14th amendment citizens or those who consent. Do not listen to this crap, it's all BS, the "government" being actually a corporation can not make law nor enforce law, any law enforcement officer who adheres to these illegal claims is a traitor and part of the problem, oath of office, where is it?

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Now I am an avid hunter and fisherman. I am not an Obama supporter by any means. I voted for Ron Paul. But I take issue with the wording on this. I've read the committee reports. I've read the NOAA statement. I've read the WWF nonsense. I've reviewed the IFAW BS. I saw what a couple of these groups did in Ontario to the spring bear hunt which was the best scientifficly managed big game hunt in the entire world. But nowhere have I seen a statement by Obama stating he wants to ban trophy hunting and fishing.

These committee reports specify trophy hunting and fishing for the ban. Not sustinence hunting and fishing. But trying to ban something because of the motive behind it is ridiculous. They want a ban on trophy hunting yet its legal to grow poppies. But if you slice the pod it's a felony. Interesting. Let me tell you, we have a farm and we have a large crop output and the government issues us damage stamps. Which essentially means that the DoA has reviewed your land and determined that x amount of deer need to be killed off for your crop not to be negatively impacted. I bowhunt. I blackpowder hunt. Shotgun. Dogs. Those are my whitetail hunts. My preference is to crawl up a tree with my bow. But I love to hear my dogs run too on occasion. I big game hunt as well. Elk, Moose, bear, boar, Axis, Sitka... But off the 25 or so whitetail we takedown every year I can safely say 100% of the meat is consumed. 90% probably goes to needy area families. But I have a trophy room, so I'm a bad guy.

I fish, saltwater and freshwater. I've got fish mounted in my trophy room. Much like my elk and moose I always wanted to catch a big blue marlin. I did. He';s on the wall. Mostly we catch tuna, mahi mahi, grouper, flounder, striped bass and we we hit freshwater it's catfish or largemouth bass. I did go to nab an alligator gar once or twice just because I'd never seen that big of predatory fish in freshwater. Again, all the usable meat is consumed. I was raised that you eat what you kill. And you don't allow animals to suffer.

I was 16 years old and I popped a deer with my bow and tracked him half a mile and lost him. My dad made me track the animal for 6 more hours until I could find him and finish him. This is how I taught my children to hunt.

I'm agnostic so I don't have the christian viewpoint on this. And I would never want to see an animal suffer. But they are animals and I'm higher up the evoloutionary ladder than they are. And if I want to kill a deer, give the meat to a family who has no income and if it happens to be a nice buck to stick in on my wall, who the hell is the government to tell me otherwise? These animals are here to feed me.

But I've heard the committee viewpoints but I have not heard Obama say he actually wants to do this. If he has I stand corrected. But trying to ban something because of the motive rather than the act is nonsense.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Lots of good discussion so far from knowlegable ATS members.
I see this as a huge worldwide dilemna...very massive in scale and complexity. Unpresentented in human history...Obama is the unlucky POTUS who is handed the responsibilty of digging everyone out of the crisis. The previous leaders refused. The fish truely are under huge pressure from rec, comm, even divers you aren't seeing.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kratos40
Where has common sense gone to? I just cannot believe that we are arguing about such things!!
We are overfishing, and that is TRUE. The demand for fish is so great, especially with our growing population, that we will eat our fishy brethren into extinction. Plain and simple.
As for full disclosure, I go out and eat sushi every weekend. But what is worse? Eating fish into extinction or leaving fish populations alone for a few years so that they can recuperate and we can then enjoy them again?
Some of the best tuna have to be decades old in order to have a certain taste.
People, we will just have to live with farm raised salmon, tuna, catfish for awhile. In my opinion, this trumps your fishing rights than not having fish at all. It's all about moderation...folks...

I didn't read this entire thread but this is just ignorance. You need to differentiate between commercial fishing, sport fishing and recreational fishing. Apparently you don't understand the difference. Commercial fishing is massive hauls of fish. This accounts for about 90% of the fish taken in the US. Recreational fishing is when Bob and Jed go out to catch a mess of catfish to cook at a fish fry. Or grab a 12 back and go catch their bag of flounder every weekend. 8%. The other 2% and I believe it's actually 1.6% is sportfishing. I want to catch a giant bluefin tuna. Ok 1 per captain per boat per year. I want a trophy striper. 2 per day 36 inches or longer. Sportfishing is heavily regulated. It has zilch to do with the overfishing you speak of. Same for recreational fishing. Commercial fishing is responsible for this in its entirety. I can catch 2 striper and theres 4 guys in my boat. 8 trophy striper with no breeding females. Oh the trawler brings up 10 tons with a 24 in minny. Now how many of my boats would it take to even be worth mentioning in the same sentence as one of those trawlers? Educate yourself before you go blaming folks.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Not gonna happen. PEI, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Nunavut, N.W.T and B.C. All depend on the fishing industry to jump the economy.

Oh I know why they want to make fishing illegal. It's because they are reptilians and they would like all the fish for themselves.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by angeldoll

Ummm, I don't know about you but I havn't seen that many sailfish or Jack tuna in lake Ontario, and I motor and sail there every season. What exactly is the definition of "sport fishing" in any inland waterway? You know, come to think of it I havn't seen too many trawlers there either. I used to fish alot of creeks and rivers and never once caught a marlin, but maybe I just wasn't using the right bait......WTF

YouSir

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
is this after he takes all of our guns, forces us to grow watermelons and then does burn-outs in his Chrysler 500 on Dale Earnhardt's grave?

wow

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
Did you actually read the article? It never says "will." The issue is that, in order to allow fish stock to recover from over-fishing, the administration is considering unilateral moratoria... over-riding traditional state game boards and commercial regulatory agencies. The sports fishing industry objects, fearing arbitrary bans. If commercial fishing continues at the current levels, important species like blue fin tuna will go extinct, and we'll all have to eat dried jellyfish instead. The article was alarmist enough. Your misinterpretation is ridiculous.

[edit on 9-3-2010 by DJW001]

I live 2 miles from Lake Michigan - There are no "Blue Fin Tuna" in Lake Michigan and if you fish Lake Michigan, you would know that there is NO shortage of fish there!

[edit on 9-3-2010 by custom2006]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I fish--A lot. 90% of the time I keep no fish I catch, this is more about being able to relax and get my head right for me. Not saying this might come to fruition, but good luck stopping me if it does. They'll pretty much have to shoot me. I will not stop fishing. Ever.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

you sound more worries about the bluefin tuna than humanity

Does it occure to you that its humanity that will suffer from the extinction of fish species by overfishing in the end?
Our population increases, the more we consume, food animal populations (including fish/sealife) decline.
If we dont manage resources at a sustainable level, were going to be in trouble eventually.
Natural resources belong to everyone.
The more land we degrade for human habitation and agriculture/industry, the less there is to raise animals for food, we will rely heavily on the oceans before long, if we are not already doing so.
The oceans seem abundant never ending food supply, but how long can they sustain 6 billion hungy people (and climbing)?
Its either mantain resources at a selfsustaining level (ration) or self limit our population.
Have kids or go fishing?

[edit on 9-3-2010 by wayaboveitall]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
yeap turn a fisherman into a criminal. if they are having troble with tuna, try a lb limint or a season or a slot limit. not stop fishing all the way around.

is it me or is it him???

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by wayaboveitall

By David Runk ASSOCIATED PRESS

DETROIT | Detroit, the very symbol of American industrial might for most of the 20th century, is drawing up a radical renewal plan that calls for turning large swaths of this now-blighted, rusted-out city back into the fields and farmland that existed before the automobile.

does that help.?

Manage, conserve but use!!!

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Just reminded by that saying "There are plenty of fish in the sea".

Im not a really big fan of fish as it is, so I can care less, But i dolike to fish when I get the chance to(Which is not often cause I live in the desert).

I do like the fact that people care all of the sudden though, since their messiah is talking about it, it must be important.
Where were all the fishing haters before this?
Just another diversion.

Where are the jobs? Priorities Mr. Obama. Priorities.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Id like to see more information about the proposal than an alarmist news report and a 'new world order is here' ideology.
What fascinates me is that America is touted as the greatest democracy on the planet, yet so many Americans seem to be saying that your goverment controls you, that citizens have lost liberty and freedoms, that your government has you in a vice, slowly squeezing you into complience on all facets of life.
Yet Your citizens continue to vote, to accept your system of government and elective process, term after term, president after president, why?
200 million? people refusing to vote, what are going to do?
declare america a dictatorship under its current office?
Other nations rise up to the challenge, often painfully, revolutions overthrow unacceptable rulers, but America seems complacent, accepting, yet they complain bitterly.
Your citizens support the overthrowing of other nations dictators, but not your own?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join