It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to make fishing illegal ANYWHERE!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Moonman1111

So tell me how would banning fishing in the Great Lakes effect
evasive species?

Or, how can the Great Lakes be overfished when it is annually stocked
for sport fishing?

I have fished and scuba dived in the lakes for 25 years the problem is evasive species.
Although the zebra mussels (evasive species) have created amazing
visibility at times rivaling the caribbean.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TriggerFish

Invasive species are being dealt with by consortia of local governments, with agreements reaching across the border to Canada. If the Lakes weren't being over fished, why would they need to be RESTOCKED? In fact, the Great Lakes are an example of sound husbandry. Forty years ago Lake Eerie was declared "dead" and Lake Michigan's fisheries were ruined by Alewives, an invasive species. Thanks to the "Clean Water Act" and the EPA (founded by that enviro-whacko Richard M. Nixon) sports fishermen continue to enjoy their bounty.

[edit on 9-3-2010 by DJW001]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

I'd like to refer my question to you, since you seem to be the down to earth one here.
I did read the article although I didn't really understand the why of it. I understand the Ocean regulations. But what if any does this have to do with the chain of lakes or Bangs lake. I know Im missing something but I can't put my finger on it. Please explain to me what this means to my husband and I who are avid fisherman. But we fish the smaller lakes. ie:Bangs, Fox, Lake Winni, Leach, etc.... And I am not trying to be stupid here, I really don't get it.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

The lakes are continually restocked because evasive species like the lamprey eel destroyed the trout population.

The next scurge, the asian carp.
The great thinkers decided to poisen these carp in Chicago.
Spent 3 million poisening the river, killed one carp, and thousands of native fish.
Profound management skills there.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TriggerFish

So tell me how would banning fishing in the Great Lakes effect
evasive species?

Or, how can the Great Lakes be overfished when it is annually stocked
for sport fishing?

I have fished and scuba dived in the lakes for 25 years the problem is evasive species.
Although the zebra mussels (evasive species) have created amazing
visibility at times rivaling the caribbean.

It would allow the native fish populations to rebuild their stock. I have fished Lake Michigan every year for the last 6 years, and it gets worse each year. Too many people over fishing, and anyway you look at it, if nobody is fishing the lakes, the fish populations will grow. But like you said, Invasive species are changing the ecosystem in the lake. Government needs to attack all 3 problems with our waterways and lakes. Pollution, over fishing, and invasive species.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaxBlack
Regulating Commercial fishing is a smart idea because to those kind of fishermen, it's only about the money. To a recreational fisherman it means something different.

Any effort to outlaw fishing for the same reasons used for Commercial fishermen is in no way doing what is in the best interests of the public. Such a move could be viewed as an attempt to create anger in the public and once again provoke and instigate those that just might rise up and do something about it as a means to justify some type of further crack down on freedoms and liberties.

It just seems that this fishing ban proposal is in no way related to fishing, its related to control. Control over what we are allowed to do and where we can do it. I cant see this type of prohibition being warmly embraced by anyone except the federal government.

What's next, SWAT teams at the local pond for federal fishing violations? I don't think so because something tells me anyone thinking that you can strong arm those that like to fish is to me the most imbecilic action any federal government could possibly take against its own citizens. It would be something akin to trying to ride a bull greased up with oil and holding on with only one hand. It's going to be a wild slippery ride and something tells me fishermen have more back bone than the federal government or the ADL ever imagined.

You can have my fishing pole, stringer and fish hooks when the Sun Explodes and not sooner. Besides, all the fish and animals are already contaminated by all the chem-trail spraying, so to discuss a prohibition on fishing is just a distraction from that fact because if we eat the fish, sooner or later it going to kill us.

Obama coming forth and stating that all the fish are contaminated would be a good move, but I doubt the circus of imbeciles in Washington care that much to tell us the truth. Instead they add fuel to the fire and use fishing as a means to anger the public.

I think the God damn #ing environment is worth more than some fishermans job. They can go back to school if they don't like it or maybe try getting a job that would require them to help clean up pollution in our lakes and rivers for a few years until theyre permitted to go back fishing.
I don't care much for Obama's cabinet and policies, but I do respect the moves he makes to protect the environment and wildlife.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Agreed Moonman,

but lake trout is really good.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TriggerFish

It may not affect you at all, as far as I can tell. An inter-agency panel has been meeting to draft policy recommendations. Apparently, some sports fishermen are concerned that regulations imposing a moratorium on commercial fisheries will be arbitrarily extended to inland fisheries, or that radical environmental and animal rights groups may get sports fishing banned. That's probably not going to happen, but you might want to write your reps in Washington to let them know there are more fishing fans than people who believe crappies have an inalienable right to life.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TriggerFish

Agreed Moonman,

but lake trout is really good.

I myself love the white perch. And enjoy fishing myself. But we only have one planet and we gotta take care of it.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
This sort of thing is mission creep. It just starts with a small act which escalates. People don't pay too much attention at first because it does not effect them or they see it as being good for the environment never realising that the people implementing these changes have a different end goal.

All it needs is one foot in the door and ten years or less down the road and anglers will be an obselete species. Fish will only be obtained through large commercial fishing organisations who have the right permit/

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
It's the huge ships with the enormous fishing nets that are killing the oceans. Not a party boat in montauk with 20 people on it fishing for Fluke.

The oceans are getting destroyed because the people with the nets don't throw back the baby fish and the unedible fish.. its not the regular person who likes to throw a line out every once in a while.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
O.K. Thats was what I thought. Now I can say, I don't like the idea of anyone telling me where or when I can fish. Personally when we go for game fish it's strickly CPR. Panfish, enough to put on the table for dinner.
I can see how some people would agree with stricker regulations. We see it all the time, some people will keep anything despite kreel limits.
Two summers ago we were fishing on Round and my husband caught a nice 5.5+ Bass. We took pictures and were about to throw it back and this guy comes up to our boat and asks if he can have it. My husband said No! The guys response was (So, there's lots more in the lake) That kind of attitude really erks me.

I see what you mean. It wouldn't hurt to send a letter.

[edit on 9-3-2010 by crappiekat]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
It's the natives over fishing the lakes and there's nothing we can do about it. The government gave them the right

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
They should ban fishing. Then when I get my catch it will taste even more satisfying. A lot of you seem to think as soon as the ban is in place you won't be able to fish. Obviously just don't get caught.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by mikellmikell

Yes, I have seen that also. I've heard of people catching hugh muskie and just leaving them to die on the ice.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Sorry! Didn't mean to go off topic.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Well the simple fact is that the seas are being overfished. Several fish stocks ywe eatr are in collapse. It appears that by the middle of the century the overfishing will have killed the fish stock that we eat. However as someone said the seas will probably have populations of specis that are lower down the food chain like jellyfish and other invertebrates.

The article is speculative but the problem is real.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
I cant seem to find the actual documents...just some opinion pieces which may be taking things far out of context.

I remember reading once where they were trying to put more restrictions on commercial overfishing in breeding grounds, and some commercial lobbiests were pretending that the restrictions were going to end up making joe fisherman not able to fish...scare tactic stuff without referencing the actual articles and wording things carefully (lots of "mays" and "could" stuff).

Any angler (including myself) would very much oppose any bill that would eliminate rec fishing...but also we oppose overfishing of breeding ground...especially by large commercial fish companys.

Saturn here it is , I think,

gatewaypundit.firstthings.com...

The American Sportfishing Association reported:

A sweeping oceans and Great Lakes management policy document proposed by the Obama Administration will have a significant impact on the sportfishing industry, America’s saltwater anglers and the nation’s coastal communities. The draft policy, the Interim Report of the Interagency Ocean Policy Task Force, issued on September 17, will govern federal Pacific and Atlantic Ocean waters and Great Lakes resource conservation and management and will coordinate these efforts among federal, state and local agencies. This past June, President Obama created the Interagency Ocean Policy Task Force, led by the Chair of the Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ), to develop a draft national policy and implementation strategy for conserving and managing the United States ocean territory and the Great Lakes.

“In regards to recreational fishing specifically, it is a long-standing policy of the federal government to allow public access to public lands and waters for recreational purposes consistent with sound conservation including the nation’s wildlife refuges, national forests, and national parks and should be reflected in a national policy for the oceans and Great Lakes. In fact, the use of public resources by recreational anglers is essential to the conservation model used in this country for fish and wildlife management,” said ASA Ocean Resource Policy Director Patty Doerr.

Doerr further said, “As with any good federal policy decision, discussions about measures that may restrict public access to public resources must involve an open public process, have a solid scientific basis and incorporate specific guidelines on implementation and follow-up. We are very concerned about the abbreviated 90 day timeline which forced the Task Force to issue this policy document prematurely. The implications of such a policy are vast and nationwide. Therefore, the review process should be very deliberate and go well beyond the 30 days public review and comment period which started on September 17.” The Task Force’s Interim Report is currently under a 30-day public review and comment period.

Since 1950, with the passage of the Sport Fish Restoration Act, anglers and the sportfishing industry have provided the bulk of funding for fisheries conservation and management in the United States through fishing license fees and the federal manufacturers excise tax on recreational fishing equipment. According to NOAA Fisheries, saltwater anglers contribute over $82 billion annually to the economy. Despite taking only three percent of the saltwater fish harvested each year, the recreational sector creates nearly half the jobs coming from domestic saltwater fisheries.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I just logged on and read this today, I'm not going to freak out until I figure out what is really happening,

But I am a fisherwomen, and this would create massive fish-ins.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TwoPhish

Without fish and game, I would have not survived,

Take our guns, and fishing poles, control the internet, block satellite access to cell phones,

No jobs, trillions in debt, smash the hoopties, make us more dependent on the government, want to add anything?

[edit on 043131p://bTuesday2010 by Stormdancer777]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join