It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 METERS/11 FEET WAVES created by the Tsunami

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
www.prh.noaa.gov... 7.114829.txt

Here you go hawaii this is whats expected

THE ESTIMATED ARRIVAL TIME IN HAWAII OF THE FIRST TSUNAMI WAVE IS 1119 AM HST SAT 27 FEB 2010

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
reply to post by tarifa37

How do you know that 40 meters wave is not possible? In 1960 tsunami in Chile there were cases of 25 meter waves. I think that in current chaos until full report is known it is better to take precautions. No official source can claim what really happened so assuming that it is 0.4 meters wave is OK for person in UK or Israel, but if i was living in Easter island i would be very very worried and warn relatives/neighbours to go to high ground just in case.
It is better to cry afterwards on internet trolls/doomsayers then to be under meters of water.
Edit - and it seems that there is evacuation of Easter island. Authorities take it serious which is good.

[edit on 27-2-2010 by ZeroKnowledge]

Expert on cnn said he did not think it was possible that this quake would have produced 40m high waves. I myself have no clue. Just going on what the experts are saying and not posting things as fact when the facts are not yet known.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

well at least 3 miters is better than 40, people really need to tell it how it is exactly without worrying everyone but good none the less of lettin everyone know

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Pdta Chile says Easter Island is evacuated tsunami risk

SANTIAGO, feb 27 . SANTIAGO, Feb 27. Chilean President Michelle Bachelet, said Saturday that his country's Navy is evacuating the areas considered most dangerous Pacua Island because a tsunami could hit the archipelago in an hour.

Chile was hit early Saturday in an earthquake of 8.8 magnitude that caused at least 78 deaths, according to data released by the head of state.

Bachelet said a wave engulfed on all sides to Juan Fernandez Island, located about 600 km off the Chilean coast.

source

[edit on 27-2-2010 by Mdv2]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
The Easter Islands could be, effectively, destroyed by any significant tsunmai.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Ok,Saw the scroll text again on screen and it says that they are expecting strong currents and high waves for the coastal areas,if this is accurate then it shouldn't be too bad,will chop the beaches up and cut the foreshore in a bit and hopefully that's it.

Violet.

Praying for those that feel the effects of this.

[edit on 27-2-2010 by BlackViolet]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

It depends on the uplift to displacement ratio.. Also as the wave moves from the oceanic plate to the continental plate the wave will get higher due to the shallower depth of the continental plate that rises out of the water...

link   
Does any one have any idea of the size of the waves expected to hit the australian coast??

Hawaii is expecting according to source

MEASUREMENTS OR REPORTS OF TSUNAMI WAVE ACTIVITY

GAUGE LOCATION LAT LON TIME AMPL PER
------------------- ----- ------ ----- --------------- -----
VALPARAISO CL 33.0S 71.6W 0708Z 1.29M / 4.2FT 20MIN
TALCAHUANO CL 36.7S 73.4W 0652Z 1.15M / 3.8FT 46MIN

Comparable to the waves in chile could this be potentially less devastating?

[edit on 27-2-2010 by q_ball]

[edit on 27-2-2010 by q_ball]

link   
From the reports I read, people on the californian coast are panicking, taking everything they've got, putting it in their car and leaving... causing massive traffic aka ``Independance Day`` traffic,

Anyone in Cali can confirm?

For the wave height, I've heard from 3 meters/11 feet to 5 m, 15 ft... maybe higher.

[edit on 27-2-2010 by Vitchilo]

[edit on 27-2-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

Heya q_ball,

i think we will cop the tail end of it,Shouldn't be too bad,maybe two to two and a half meter waves,chews out the beach and floods the rivers for a bit but overall we should be ok,As for others,well,My heart goes out to them.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackViolet

Only 2 and a half metres? That can still cause some damage and flooding , thats 2 metres too high still in my books. Arent they evacuating other coastal areas in the world that are experiencing the same size waves??

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Tsunami's are difficult to predict. Intensity isn't the best indicator as the waves are created by underwater landslides, large masses of land crashing into the water, and things like that. Time will tell, given the unpredictable nature of these beast it is best to assume the worst until the all clear is given.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

Go here for more info www.bom.gov.au...

It should be fine mate.

Expect dangerous currents along the coast, some foreshore flooding and rough seas/waves.

Sources for this s CNN and Sky News Australia.

From what i can gather (though i cannot locate any OFFICIAL heights), any tsunami related waves should be under 5 feet at max.

Just dont go for a swim...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
If they are measuring 2.5 meters in the open ocean the result will be a massive tsunami.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
This hasn't been posted yet...(as of writing this)

Looks like 40cm to me...

Still pretty bad when going up slopes to land.

There's gonna be a LOT of very wet people on earth today.

EDIT: One thing I noticed from the graph is that the color doesn't change after about .40M (or 40cm) and higher. :/

[edit on 27-2-2010 by lagnar]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Well glad it's not really 40M. It will be interesting to see what hits Hawaii right before lunchtime today.

Think non-destructive waves like these.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

Yeah,well,we have that size on the beach on good days,thats why our surf beaches are coveted by skegs everywhere...
The thing is that its not so much the size of the wave but the,ummm,not sure how you explain it but the force or power behind it,most of the time even with waves that high crew are out there riding them but i think when the shockwave from the earthquake is pushing them it drives them further inland,They may do some evac of the beachfront houses,haven't seen anything yet but i will be up for a while and will post any more as i come across it.

Regards

Violet.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Where has this 2.5 metre measurement come from??

I cant find anything official saying that... Sources?

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Tsunami waves don't break when they reach shore like surf waves do. They surge. It will be more like a storm surge from a cyclone.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I pray the 2.5 meter reading is not from the open ocean. There is a big surf contest going on in Ausralia this week so hopefully it won't destroy the sandbar at Snapper Rocks. This is tragic though as soon we start to forget about Haiti we get this.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join