It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

star wars, star trek, or star gate.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
O.K.
which do you choose. star wars, star trek, or star gate.

Personally, I choose star trek, but only because I love Romulan women.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by president

But Klingon women are ferocious and have hot muscular bodies?

Actually Star Wars moves my inner child more. I saw the original movies at exactly the right age to be forever impressed by them. Then again Star Trek: TOS came out a decade before I was born. And when Stargate came I was far too old to take it seriously...

Don't worry, our current timeline will prove to be weirder than any of these.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Etsivä Romppainen

But Vulcan women seem more like a challenge! Might be fun to try!

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Etsivä Romppainen

We must be around the same age because Star Wars has always held that special place in my soul.
I only watch the original 3 when I can dedicate my full attention to it, the last 3 can just be on in the background.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
That's a tough one, but I'd have to go with Star Wars, though I enjoy the other two as well. When I was about 10 or 11, I got the original movies and I probably watched the entire trilogy at least once or twice a week for that entire summer vacation, and I kept watching them after that when I could. I can still walk into a room at any point in the orignal films and just start saying the lines along with people.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Star Wars !!! My Brother took me to see it in 1977 although I wanted to see Herbie Goes To Monte Carlo instead. Star Trek then was a really bad tv series with Dr Spock and Captain Kirk, terrible sets & poor acting, so the special effects in Star Wars grabbed everyones attention. And you could buy Star Wars toys too, it was the first proper franchise I can remember, I can picture my Brother playing with his Falcon spaceship with the little action figures, sweet memories.

I can't really comment on Star Gate because I haven't seen it, I'm sure it's fine too.

1978 & I took my Brother to see Grease ... now THAT was a movie to queue for !

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Vulcans? Pshaw! Cmon, really? Vulcans? Can you stand getting it once every SEVEN YEARS?!?

Mudds Women! Thats the ticket. Hot, sleasy slutty and GREEN!

[edit on 3/17/2009 by whatukno]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by president
I choose star trek, but only because I love Romulan women.

Yes of course I choose Star Trek any day.. But I disagree, I'm gonna have to go with either the Bajoran women, or them sexy Orion-Syndicate babes.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Star Wars.

This movie simply changed how I saw just about everything...
Plus, it "feels" more real, from the religious ideas to the fact that it was a "working" universe (ships were dented and chipped, not pristine, the technology was more "functional" vs. showy, etc.). And, the aliens are really different, vs. Star Trek's obsession with changing the nose and then POOF! instant alien! :shk:

I like Trek (all incarnations) and I liked the Stargate movie (could take or leave the series), but Star Wars remains my fave (I can even forgive Lucas for Jar Jar)...

And you can have your gals with the freaky noses from Trek...I'll take Leia in the slave outfit anyday....

[edit on 18-3-2009 by Gazrok]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I like both Star Wars and Star Trek. The Stargate movie was okay, but as for the TV series (gagging noises) I am less than impressed.

As a kid, I religiously watched all the old Star Trek episodes, and I believe they were in many ways ahead of their time, but watching them now...they can be hysterically funny, especially the special FX. Has anyone seen the trailer for the new Star Trek movie?

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Like comparing apples, oranges and grapes. All three created 'worlds' that were easy to enter and lose yourself in. I would add a fourth 'world', the 'world' of Battlestar Galactica (the recent one of course!) All have one thing in common, exceptional writing! The writers from all four made the impossible seem quite possible and engaging. Kudos to all of them!

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I grew up in the 80s but was never really too excited about Star Wars. Maybe I was too young when the first one came out. I think I had an R2D2 toy when I was quite little. I might have watched two of the prequels but I don't remember much of them.

I never got into Star Trek. I watched one of the movies when in college, have seen a few of the early episodes over the years. It wasn't much my thing. I was always more into horror than scifi, unless it was stuff like Philip K Dick.

I started watching Stargate SG1 shortly after I became interested in ideas such as aliens interfering with human history in ancient times. I remembered enjoying the movie years ago when it had come out, so I re-watched it, as well as the pilot, which introduced new ideas about aliens as parasites. Recognizing that it is all speculation, the themes of the movie and TV shows offered interesting perspectives and possibilities about things I was already thinking about.

This was most true in the earlier seasons of SG1, but it became more interesting with the Atlantis connection in later seasons. The Atlantis spin off series also offered some food for thought, withs its Ancients and a vampire like Wraith creature; but again this seemed to wane as the show progressed, becoming more focused on interpersonal drama. Though I was still disappointed with its cancellation.

There have been two SG1 movies since its cancellation, and rumors of both more SG1 and SGA movies. There will be a new show, Stargate Universe, launching in the next year or two. I'm not sure what to expect from that.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by The Lass

Ooh I remember! We used to run around and trade these Star Wars action figures with each other! And my friend was the king, he had the AT-AT combat walker!

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I go through phases about every three years. First it was Star Trek, then Star Wars, then back to Star Trek -

Hands down though - I'd say they are all pretty much equal with me.

1) Star Trek: TOS and Star Trek: Voyager were my two favorite Treks.
2) Star Wars: IV V VI - no doubt.
3) BSG - the new one.
4) Stargate: SG1 - I love Colonel O'Neill's attitude.

That's my run down.

Trek and Wars hold the 1 slot. They just "change out" every so often.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I must be the only geek on the planet that detests the new BSG and likes the idea of the old one....

How do you run from Cylons when half your crew is a frickin' Cylon???? :bnghd: And using the same character names, but changing up sexes, etc.? Lame. Not to mention, the little bit I've seen was more like "West Wing in Space"...no ship dogfights, etc. I like my Cylons in shining chrome with a back and forth red light please...."By your command!"

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Oh I love me some Star WArs and coming in second would be Stargate: Atlantis

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
ok

*she cracks knuckles, stretches neck from side to side ready to spar*

There can be only one (said in Connery Highlander voice)

Star Wars first three, as in first three released, not eps 1 , 2 and 3, they shouldn't be counted in this discussion.
Star wars changed EVERYTHING, from filmmaking technology, the studio system, merchandising to science fiction story telling on film.
They released BSG the original and Buck Rogers after the Star Wars phenomen because they knew people craved Scifi.

Trek was very original, but Dr Who first came out in 1963 so 3 years early.

Stargate Atlantis was great. It was cheesy, but they hit the nail on the head with so many things. So equal 2nd place tie with Trek.

RIP BSG and Stargate

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Nick The Lounge Singer

"Star Wars/Nothing but Star Wars/Give me those Star Wars/Don't let them end!"

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Star trek all the way

BSG... to much religion stuff to my taste.
Star Wars... wannabe mystic movies and after they add the blah blah blah in the blood to check the jedi meter in the kids LOL WTF was that?!

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Babylon 5 should get an honorable mention...used to love that show...

Too bad that didn't go longer...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join