It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
even being still somewhat new i have to share my opinion.

i vote for 1 tournament for all

even if i hope to be able to make it in the "real" tournament for the championship if the tournament would be devided, since i am starting another challenging match next monday.

but 2 tournaments would be like 2 classes.
e.g schrodingers dog is a much more experienced fighter than i am so he should be in the championship tournament but due to lost fights he wouldn.t have had the needed ranking

but maye it would be a nice idea to have a kind of newbie tournament now and then which could include low ranked fighters as well.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
OK, I think we have a pretty good majority in favor of 1 tournament so that's what we'll do. If interest is high enough, we actually could add an additional 8 match round.
So you'd have :
1st round: 16 unranked fighters or low ranked fighters
2nd round: 8 of the above versus 8 low ranked fighters who had byes.
3rd round: 8 of the above versus 8 high ranked fighters who had byes.
4th round: 4 of the above.
5th round: 2 of the above for the title.

That would give us a 32 player tournament without making rounds too big too judge, and it would also mean that we still have a full tournament even if some of the new guys are drive-byes who end up forfeiting. I really dislike all of those byes- any given sunday and all that- but it would allow us to have more participants.

I have to compose a debate post right now, but later today I will start verifying that everyone is ranked accurately and refining the list for this tournament so that everyone knows where they stand on getting into the tournament.

For now, my advice is that if you have never debated before, get into a debate ASAP (agree to a match with someone then contact a debate mod with the agreed topic and postions), and if your rank is two, you may or may not need a debate to get in, but you definitely DONT want to lose one because that could put you out.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Never mind.

[edit on February 1st, 2009 by peacejet]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Anyone looking for a fight before the tournament?

I'm looking to get knocked down a notch from top-8 to top-16 Fighters

I'd love a slightly-shorter-than-usual fight: an opening, 2 replies each, a closing. And I think I'd like it to be random topic, random sides, although I'm open to suggestions.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

Can I have the honour for that?

First of all, can I know what position I am in?

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

look up this thread peace jet

rankings of fighters
the bolded fighters are the active ones, just like you!

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   

I'd love to debate you

By my count you're at #20 of the ranked fighters who have already signed up. You have 2 ranking points.

If you want, we could make it worth only 1 point instead of the usual 2 points; that way you wouldn't be risking all your points. Depending on what happens in orange-light vs. Heike, winning one point might bump you into the top 16, giving you a bye for the first round. Losing one point would drop you to #23 of the ranked fighters who have already signed up, so I think you'd still have a good chance at getting into the tournament.

I'm not counting nefermore and questioningall – after their bout one of them will have 2 points also, so that would make you #24 of ranked fighters.

And I could be wrong about all that. The point system kind of confuses me.

TWISI, where are you? I need a bookie!

EDIT to add: also I'm assuming that none of the higher-ranked fighters signs up (semper, GAOTU, AshleyD, Oscitate, Illusionsaregrander, ConstantWonder, ...)

[edit on 2/1/09 by americandingbat]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by orange-light

Ah, I see the updated list. Thank you.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Ok, we can have it as a one point match! And one thing, is the tournament match a continuous series or does it have gaps between?

Edit:Maybe ill drop out of the tournament, it looks way too serious!!

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   

I think they try to make it as continuous as possible, but there are inevitable delays due to judging. The second round doesn't start until all the results from the first round are in, as far as I remember, so if one debate takes the full 12 possible days, and then the judging takes longer than usual, there can be a pretty significant delay for people who finished fast.

And excellent! A one-point, 4-round random-topic random-side match, right?

My only restriction is I won't touch 9/11 topics – anything you want to avoid (or really want to tackle)?

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Even I avoid politics and stuff, I am interested in space exploration, science and technology. Can you think of any topic?

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   

How about we just throw it to the mods, with a request for a science/technology-type topic? I think they could do that for us

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Ok, as you wish, but let it not be about the mars conspiracies and stuff, just general ones.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   

I'll u2u semperfortis and MemoryShock and ask for a "non-space-related sci/tech topic", how does that sound?

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Let it be space or scitech related, but let it be general, and not involve the mars conspiracies and that stuff. We can have for example, "Is a manned mission to mars good or bad" and titles like that.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Maybe you should u2u them. I don't even know what the Mars conspiracies are, so I don't know how to phrase something that would keep the "and stuff" out

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Fine, hope we get the topic decided soon. About posting times, Ill be posting probably, during the evening time of the east coast. In terms of IST between five AM and seven AM.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   

I think semperfortis is online right now, so if you u2u him for a topic we could probably have it by tomorrow morning

I'll probably be posting at the very end of any deadlines, if not later

I'm hoping to use this fight partly as training to stop being so chronically late, since I can't expect the same patience in the tournament that my previous opponents have shown.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   

ok

Ill contact.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Alright I wanna debate with someone.

I want to debate on the topic-- are the American people being dumbed down by the government or are people doing it to themselves?

I'll take the stance that people are doing it to themselves but that the government probably could do more.

Any takers?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join